PDA

View Full Version : To Hang or not to hang?: POLL

Ziggy Trek
11-15-2008, 12:03
Santa started the thread, To Hang or not to hang. My curiosity sparked this poll. It assumes we are discussing the Eastern U.S. and must be based on FIRST-HAND experience and not here-say.

How many have had their tents chewed/damaged when food was inside?
How many tents/packs got chewed or damaged when there was NO food or food odors?
How many never had a problem when food was stored inside?
How many have had possums, mice (or even a bear) mess with a hung bear bag?

dan8794
11-15-2008, 12:19
What about....

I have never had anything chewed and I always hang my bag?

Ziggy Trek
11-15-2008, 12:20
I forgot to select the multiple choice option. A critical error. Can it be fixed? If not just pick the MOST correct answer for you.

Panzer1
11-15-2008, 12:50
I selected "I never had a problem when food was stored inside my tent", but 99% of the time I hang my food bag. But the one or two times I brought the food bag in my tent I didn't have any trouble.

Panzer

Pedaling Fool
11-15-2008, 14:45
Always put my food in my tent. First bear that tries and gets my food will be missing an eye. Anything else gets in my tent will be crushed.

BumpJumper
11-15-2008, 22:38
Damn Zig....Im with bobby on that question....:-?

Ziggy Trek
11-16-2008, 00:35
Damn Zig....Im with bobby on that question....:-?

Let's face it- a four question poll won't stop the controversy. Please, I'm not trying to detract from Santa's thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42943). That discussion is more important.
You're absolutely correct! I considered a question to include those who properly hang a bear-bag because it is the status-quo and never had problems. (If you always hung, you are conforming to a good idea from the start; but only conforming.) Yet I found the question counter-productive to the poll. The poll already assumes that that the, "with it", hiker hangs their food. I want to know the ACTUAL hikers experience with bear-baggin'.
I'm a big fan of the story, The "Emperor's new clothes (http://deoxy.org/emperors.htm)". I'm trying to find out why it is a good idea (as it already sounds). Folks can recite from other "experts" all day long. But it is it a valid fear we must avoid? or "just good advice". What have we EXPERIENCED! I have NO problem following good advice. But what evidence is the advice based on.

Egads
11-16-2008, 08:37
Not much of a problem bringing food into tents in the East. But if you feel this is a safe practice; go ahead and do it in Grizz country. Darwin is waiting for you.

Blissful
11-17-2008, 16:14
Need one that says I have had a pack / stuff sacks damaged when food not hung overnight, then I could vote. Because it did happen, in New England. :)

Blissful
11-17-2008, 16:16
Always put my food in my tent. First bear that tries and gets my food will be missing an eye. Anything else gets in my tent will be crushed.

Fair thee well maurauding red squirrels and chipmunks in NH and ME.

(It's not the bears you have to worry about, it's these pests. Chipmunks will steal you blind.)

Mr. Parkay
11-18-2008, 10:06
I've kemp food in my tent countless times and only had a problem once. Oddly enough, it was a house cat the got into my food!