PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP permits/thru hiker classification

Father Dragon
11-15-2008, 18:04
I'm planning a LDH from Allen Gap to Fontana for the dates of Dec -27 through Jan 8-ish. I know to be classified as a thru-hiker you have to start/end 50 miles from the park Are they going to really know if you only start 50 miles out and finish at the end of the park? I don't like the *have to be here on this date* approach to hiking.

papa john
11-15-2008, 18:05
They won't know if you don't tell them.

Grumpy
11-15-2008, 18:08
As papa john said, they won't know but you will. Integrity is like virginity, you can only lose it once. More importantly the reasons they do it is upkeep and care for a great national resource. As always, HYOH and enjoy. Grumpy

Serial 07
11-15-2008, 18:08
i wouldn't worry...

mts4602
11-15-2008, 18:30
Someone did say on here before that they thought you could only register as a thru hiker between certain dates such as march to ??.

I don't know the truth of that so maybe you should call the backcountry office and ask them.

Nest
11-15-2008, 20:17
The reason for the thru hiker exception is because they don't know when they will be where. The longer you are in the woods the more off schedule you can get. If you are starting in Allen gap then I think you fall into that category. Just write thru hiker on the registration. Don't worry about where you finish. Look at it this way, a lot of people quit in Gatlinburg, or just outside the Smokies. They didn't hike 50 miles past the Smokies either.

Bare Bear
11-15-2008, 21:16
I have always just put "Mollies Ridge" then NOBO on the registration and have been stopped a couple times and never had a problem.

xnav
11-16-2008, 09:14
Weather will be your biggest factor in determining your stop points for each day during Dec and Jan. It could be 50 or 60 degrees and sunny so maintaining your schedule will be no problem. However it could be 20 degrees and snowing with a 30 to 40 mph wind and you will be hard pressed to stay on schedule. I would not worry about it either way; last Jan during my hike thru the GSMNP the max number of people in any shelter was five (two nights I was alone) and I never saw a park ranger for my entire hike. Just put your best guess for your schedule and then go enjoy some beautiful scenery.

Digger'02
11-17-2008, 16:51
there is currently 8 inches of snow on Tricorner. There was no one on the trail last week and you shouldn't have a problem. Why not just get reservations and try to make it? If you don't then you don't and no worries right? It would be better then if there is an emergency.

sliderule
11-29-2008, 16:11
I'm planning a LDH from Allen Gap to Fontana for the dates of Dec -27 through Jan 8-ish. I know to be classified as a thru-hiker you have to start/end 50 miles from the park

Plan on going all the way to Springer Mtn. Then alter your plans when you reach Fontana. It's all in the planning. And remember, indecision is the key to flexibility.

Are they going to really know if you only start 50 miles out and finish at the end of the park?

The odds of encountering one of "them" is extremely low. And "they" won't know anything except what you tell them. Just make sure your paperwork is in good order.

papa john
11-29-2008, 16:41
I had the pleasure of meeting the trailrunner on the second day. He was an interesting guy to talk with. I mentioned to him that I had read his interview in the paper and questioned him about his job. He was very informative about the weather and water sources. Never asked about my permit (which I had and was in order). I was hiking with others who did not have permits and he didn't ask them anything about theirs either. The shelters weren't full any of the 3 nights I was in the park. Even Icewater Springs had room for a couple more people.

mts4602
11-29-2008, 21:54
So where do you fill out these permits for being classified as a thru hiker? Are they available for you to grab at Fontana? Big Creek Ranger Station?

papa john
11-29-2008, 22:33
Both. Or you can get them in Hot Springs at the outfitter there in town. Not sure, but I would think that Curtis at Standing Bear Farm would have them as well.

edtheshark
11-30-2008, 14:45
As everyone else has already said the permits and thru-hiker status aren't as important in the winter as they are in the summer. I've hiked in GSMNP the last 3 years after Christmas and only once came anywhere near a full shelter. The park wants to know who is up there in the backcountry, for safety reasons.... it would be a logistical nightmare to have a downed hiker above the treeline somewhere with heavy snow and not know in what general area they are at.
I have never had a problem getting reservations for shelters after Christmas, you can call and reserve them (get the reservation#) and go to any ranger station or campground in the park (even the closed ones I've left from Elkmont twice) and fill out the paper.

mts4602
11-30-2008, 15:29
As everyone else has already said the permits and thru-hiker status aren't as important in the winter as they are in the summer. I have never had a problem getting reservations for shelters after Christmas, you can call and reserve them.

I don't think the concern is so much that reservations are available but that at You get to a shelter and feel as though you are done hiking for the day but your reservation says you must hike on to the next shelter. It's hard to plan where you are going to be at for 5 or 6 consecutive nights, especially when you've never hiked a particular section before.

Cookerhiker
11-30-2008, 15:43
By starting at Allen Gap rather than the more-convenient Hot Springs, you're complying with the 50 mile requirement on the front end (I should know - I did the same in '04 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=83589)). And who's to say that you won't go beyond Fontana? By then you'll be in fantastic shape. So unless you have a time constraint (little things like a job:)), plan on hiking to Winding Stair Gap. That will satisfy the 50 miles and will give you some great hiking.

Rain Man
11-30-2008, 21:38
Are they going to really know if you only start 50 miles out and finish at the end of the park?

A wise one once said:

Reputation is what you do that folks know about.

Character is what you do that no one's going to know about.

What you do that no one is going to know about is entirely up to you. And no, they aren't going to know.

Rain:sunMan

Father Dragon
11-30-2008, 22:52
Thanks for the input. I've decided to make reservations and have a concrete itinerary for safety reasons. I imagine if I get snowed in somewhere that the good people at GSMNP will forgive any tardiness in reaching my planned destinations... hopefully.

sasquatch2014
12-01-2008, 00:02
One day not only will you have to register and have reservations but you may have to adhere to carry on luggage sizes and be ready for random luggage checks.:-?

Whiskyjo
12-01-2008, 00:23
Just count down thirty days before entering the Park and call and make reservations because some of the easier to get to shelters can even fill up fast around the xmas holidays, Have fun

Plodderman
12-01-2008, 10:02
Seems easier just to make reservation and stick to a schedule but if push comes to shove and you can't make to a reserved shelter or want to go on to the next you can take your chances. I can't imagine that they would be full that time of year anyways. We hiked the same route a few years ago and had no problem with he reservation system.

xnav
12-01-2008, 10:47
One last thing. I hiked by myself last winter and carried a cell phone for check in/emergency use. (It was a wife requirement.) I had coverage thru the entire park when I was on the ridgelines (where you are most of the time) and the battery lasted the whole trip because it was off unless I made a call.

Plodderman
12-04-2008, 11:29
Yea we had cell phone service to. It was fortunate because we had someone who had to be picked up at Clingmans Dome due to an injury.

Father Dragon
12-06-2008, 16:43
(It was a wife requirement.)

I'm being lashed to a Spot most likely.

Bearpaw
12-06-2008, 17:50
I section hiked Franklin north to as far as I would be able to get in 2 weeks in 2005. Thus I registered as a "thru-hiker". I met rangers and had no problems with them, though they explained that the 3 "thru-hiker" spots in shelters was only from March to May. Technically, they did not recognize "Thru-hiker" as a pass category from June through February, but did not generally ticket those who were making their way long-distance through the park.

BUT be ready for possibly full shelters at times, especially those sections within a day's walk of roads. Christmas vacationers hike there fairly often at that time of year.

sliderule
12-07-2008, 19:09
I had the pleasure of meeting the trailrunner on the second day. He was an interesting guy to talk with. I mentioned to him that I had read his interview in the paper and questioned him about his job. He was very informative about the weather and water sources. Never asked about my permit (which I had and was in order). I was hiking with others who did not have permits and he didn't ask them anything about theirs either. The shelters weren't full any of the 3 nights I was in the park. Even Icewater Springs had room for a couple more people.

A ridgerunner has no authority whatsoever to issue a citation to anyone not having a permit. For that matter, most NPS rangers don't either. Only law enforcement rangers can issue citations; most of them are kept busy issuing speeding tickets on HW 441.

sliderule
12-07-2008, 19:12
I section hiked Franklin north to as far as I would be able to get in 2 weeks in 2005. Thus I registered as a "thru-hiker". I met rangers and had no problems with them, though they explained that the 3 "thru-hiker" spots in shelters was only from March to May. Technically, they did not recognize "Thru-hiker" as a pass category from June through February, but did not generally ticket those who were making their way long-distance through the park.

The shelter hold-outs (the number and dates vary from year to year) and thru-hiker status are essentially unrelated.

papa john
12-07-2008, 19:32
A ridgerunner has no authority whatsoever to issue a citation to anyone not having a permit. For that matter, most NPS rangers don't either. Only law enforcement rangers can issue citations; most of them are kept busy issuing speeding tickets on HW 441.

I wasn't concerned at all about getting any citations. Was there something in my post that indicated otherwise?

sliderule
12-07-2008, 22:55
I wasn't concerned at all about getting any citations. Was there something in my post that indicated otherwise?

My comments were intended to explain why the ridgerunner (who you call a trailrunner) might have chosen not to inquire about your permit.

Other than to collect data, there isn't much point in a ridgerunner asking about a permit if he cannot do anything about it when someone doesn't have one. In the past (I cannot comment on current policy), the NPS has asked ridgerunners and caretakers to inquire about permits, but some chose not to do so, given that it creates an adversarial relationship with little positive benefit. One only needs to hear "I ain't got one; whatcha gunna do about it?" a few times to realize the futility of asking.

papa john
12-08-2008, 00:06
My comments were intended to explain why the ridgerunner (who you call a trailrunner) might have chosen not to inquire about your permit.

Other than to collect data, there isn't much point in a ridgerunner asking about a permit if he cannot do anything about it when someone doesn't have one. In the past (I cannot comment on current policy), the NPS has asked ridgerunners and caretakers to inquire about permits, but some chose not to do so, given that it creates an adversarial relationship with little positive benefit. One only needs to hear "I ain't got one; whatcha gunna do about it?" a few times to realize the futility of asking.

OK, ridgerunner. They do carry radios and can contact someone of authority if the situation arises. You are correct, they have no legal authority and are only employees of the ATC organization and not the NPS.

Chappy
01-30-2009, 18:18

For the record: Not all are issuing speeding tickets, we have regularly scheduled backcountry patrols, so take your chances.

CrumbSnatcher
01-30-2009, 20:15
watched a great documentary on the TVA dams,made me curious? did they ever reopen the trail over fontana dam, or are the hikers still being rerouted.

Chappy
01-31-2009, 09:40
watched a great documentary on the TVA dams,made me curious? did they ever reopen the trail over fontana dam, or are the hikers still being rerouted.

Open

CrumbSnatcher
01-31-2009, 10:13
thanks Chappy