PDA

View Full Version : It's almost Christmas time...

Wise Old Owl
11-15-2008, 19:53
Heads up! Two years ago I thought about purchasing a Timex digital chronograph with compass. after three weeks after the purchase the watches extra systems would stop working. I replaced & returned three times before giving up on the expedition series. You will not see it in the reviews, those are "of the day" of purchase. What brought this up? glad you asked several popular "gear" places are showing product with discounts.... avoid it.

Mrs Baggins
11-15-2008, 21:20
I've had two Timex Expeditions and loved both of them. I don't know what went wrong with yours................I only replaced the first one after it got so scratched up I couldn't read it anymore.

bigmac_in
11-15-2008, 21:32
Figures, just sayin.

Pedaling Fool
11-15-2008, 21:38
I'm not a shopper, but I NEVER EVER go to the stores during this time of year.

I hate Christmas

sheepdog
11-15-2008, 21:39
I'm not a shopper, but I NEVER EVER go to the stores during this time of year.

I hate Christmas
Don't make Christmas about shopping and maybe the joy will come back.

aaroniguana
11-15-2008, 22:13
I've been wearing a Timex analog face day/date Expedition everyday since Dec 31, 1999. It has taken some extreme abuse and it's the only watch I trust. I've never had to adjust the time except when we change to and from DST. Still on the original battery and crystal, though I have replaced the band about 7 times. Good watch, no issues.

Pedaling Fool
11-15-2008, 22:32
I get your point, my point is how commercial it is. I don't need a holiday to feel joy. Just like July 4th - it's complete BS - I don't need July 4th to appreciate the freedoms we have here in the greatest country in the world.

warraghiyagey
11-15-2008, 22:48
I've had two Timex Expeditions and loved both of them. I don't know what went wrong with yours................I only replaced the first one after it got so scratched up I couldn't read it anymore.

I've had two also. The second was a gift. Most of the features were useless on both of them within the first six months. And they never went through the slightest abuse.
I liked them at first - but they're junk, plain and simple.

bigmac_in
11-15-2008, 22:52
I've had two also. The second was a gift. Most of the features were useless on both of them within the first six months. And they never went through the slightest abuse.
I liked them at first - but they're junk, plain and simple.

I've got to agree with Warrg-a-ma-callit. They are junk.

Blissful
11-15-2008, 22:54
Yeah, usually I'm all gung ho about shoppng, etc. Not this year. Just picked up another pair of my favorite trail runners on sale as my outdoor gift.

Pedaling Fool
11-15-2008, 22:56
Maybe you'll should have got this one. (http://www.timex.com/gp/product/B0000TIJ04/sr=1-2/qid=1226803968/ref=sr_1_2/177-5480271-6628213?ie=UTF8&m=A1S5XB33AHYRMX&timexBrand=core)

The say: "Worn by extreme outdoor adventurists like Conrad Anker, Timex Expedition belongs to the great outdoors."

:D

Lone Wolf
11-15-2008, 23:25
Heads up! Two years ago I thought about purchasing a Timex digital chronograph with compass. after three weeks after the purchase the watches extra systems would stop working. I replaced & returned three times before giving up on the expedition series. You will not see it in the reviews, those are "of the day" of purchase. What brought this up? glad you asked several popular "gear" places are showing product with discounts.... avoid it.

jesus being born has nothin to do with your post. you ain't funny

Mags
11-15-2008, 23:35
I like this one myself....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrismahanukwanzakah

Lyle
11-16-2008, 00:00
Still on the original battery and crystal, though I have replaced the band about 7 times. Good watch, no issues.

Bands are my problem too. Must have about 5 different watches laying around because the bands break, and new ones will not stay on. I've replaced them myself, had the sales clerk at K-Mart replace them, even had Jewelers replace them - they won't stay on. I now buy watches that appear to have a sturdy band, since that, apparently, is the designed in weak point.

I would get a pocket watch if the reasonably inexpensive ones weren't so gaudy. Why can't someone sell an understated, inexpensive pocket watch? :(

Blue Jay
11-17-2008, 09:52

That's not true. Jesus wore a Timex Digital Chronograph, it was a gift from his dad.

mtnkngxt
11-17-2008, 16:43
Nixon Scout http://www.nixonnow.com/mens-watches/ I've had one for 5 years and I wouldn't have another watch. It does exactly what a watch is supposed to, it tells me the time. No calendar no moon charts no altimeter... This watch has spent countless hours wet and dirty and cleans right up. I've knocked it on rocks and everything else imaginable and it still keeps ticking.

Wise Old Owl
11-21-2008, 20:52

As expected LW - I at first did not understand your post. I am not trying to be funny ...

I am talking about a poorly made product called Timex Expedition that is being advertised to get folk to come into the store and purchase it and other junk at Christmas time and giving it to a freind or relative and it won't work after six months.

Now what part of that do you not understand?

Summit
11-21-2008, 22:45
The sales AFTER Christmas are much better than the Christmas sales. I know people who do their following year Christmas shopping right after Christmas. That doesn't work so well if your gift recipients are 'the latest gadget freaks' however! :eek: :p

Spogatz
11-22-2008, 00:28
I just want everyone to know.....

I accept gifts of all sorts....

HoHoHo

Jim Adams
11-22-2008, 00:53
Bought a Highgear in 2007 for the altimeter feature for the PCT. Band attachment point broke about 3 months ago...went back to my 10 year old Timex Expedition and it still works fine. Use it every day on the ambulance and on every raft trip and canoe trip that I guide...it hasn't been "babied".

geek

A-Train
11-22-2008, 00:59

Good point Sheepdog! My family has taken this approach for 2008. We decided to donate to various charities that the recipient wishes for instead of spending tons of money on stuff that causes stress.

I'm gonna have different members donate to different trail clubs in my name-I always have a hard time supporting different clubs as it seems too expensive, but considering the amount of money I spend on holiday gifts normally, this shouldn't be a big deal.

I consider myself lucky and glad my family agreed to this practice.

Some of you guys fed up with shopping might wanna consider this!

Summit
11-22-2008, 08:39
I get your point, my point is how commercial it is. I don't need a holiday to feel joy. Just like July 4th - it's complete BS - I don't need July 4th to appreciate the freedoms we have here in the greatest country in the world.I agree with you that modern-day commercialization/marketing has ruined most holidays for most people. It emphasizes all the wrong things (Santa Claus and presents) and minimizes the right things (birth of Jesus, sacrificial giving, unconditional love).

Rather than doing away with holidays, try spending time contemplating why we recognize them in the first place (honor those who fought and died for our freedom) and let your actions (like A-Train's) and activities reflect your thoughts. In other words be part of the solution and not part of the problem. I like the little lapel pins that remind us that "Jesus is the reason for the season." :)

Lone Wolf
11-22-2008, 08:43
Kwanzaa. it's how i roll

Summit
11-22-2008, 08:46
Kwanzaa. it's how i rollI see your mind's in high gear bright and early! :D :p

Sly
11-22-2008, 15:06
I agree with you that modern-day commercialization/marketing has ruined most holidays for most people. It emphasizes all the wrong things (Santa Claus and presents) and minimizes the right things (birth of Jesus, sacrificial giving, unconditional love).

You do realize Christmas shopping drives the American economy. Like other holidays that don't really need reminding, so should Christ birthday, which really isn't Dec 25th by the way.

Mags
11-22-2008, 15:31
I make photos calendars for everyone. Besides being only about $15, it is a way of sharing my love and passion for people who normally would not be able to experience it.

I am a decent enough of a photographer that I honestly think the people appreciate the gift. It is essentially a homemade gift.

My youngest brother, who had a paid vacation in Iraq with his Air NG unit, decided that we (Americans) are too spoiled after what he saw there.
Now he just sends out a link to all his family and friends to military charities and urges us to donate instead of giving him a gift.
(http://www.packitup.org/ and http://www.dav.org/donations/index.html if anyone is curious).

So, I guess if you do give, maybe do something that that helps others (charity) or perhaps is something that is maybe more personal (photos in my case, another friend made everyone homemade coffee mugs from his pottery class. I drink my coffee almost every day with this gift!)

Take back the holiday![1] :)

[1] Christmas, Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, whatever....

Tinker
11-22-2008, 21:12
There's no record of what time of the year Jesus was born in the Bible. The early pagan converts from Roman and Greek backgrounds decided to celebrate the birth of the SON around the same time as the rebirth of the SUN. Convenient.

Mags
11-22-2008, 21:27
There's no record of what time of the year Jesus was born in the Bible. The early pagan converts from Roman and Greek backgrounds decided to celebrate the birth of the SON around the same time as the rebirth of the SUN. Convenient.

Yep. Darkness into light. Literally and figuratively.....

But that's another discussion.

The roots of Christ Mass being on Dec 25th. Pretty concise and accurate (Even if you don't agree with the commentary) And it is a Christian site, too... http://www.origin-of-christmas.com/

And don't even get started on Christmas trees, varoius ethnic traditions and ITS pagan roots, etc. etc. etc.

In any case, I think we can all agree it is a time of the year to focus of family, friends and sharing our lives with people we care about. And we can all agree that is best done by not maxing out the credit card.... :)

Tinker
11-22-2008, 21:37
In any case, I think we can all agree it is a time of the year to focus of family, friends and sharing our lives with people we care about. And we can all agree that is best done by not maxing out the credit card.... :)

Word. :)

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. Have a nice holiday (at least I get a day off).

Chappy Chanukkah.....and Boxing (?) day, too.

Summit
11-23-2008, 00:25
Christ birthday, which really isn't Dec 25th by the way.Yes, I knew that. Mag's link (last paragraph) pretty well sums up what I might have responded. Since there is no way to know the exact day of the calendar year of Jesus' birth, a day was chosen long ago and the most important thing is to honor Him by showing love and charity to others, and to reflect on what Jesus' coming into the world was all about . . . paying a debt He didn't owe, because you and I owe a debt we can never pay.

Alligator
11-23-2008, 00:36
This thread was about a watch. Please don't go placing religious obligations on the rest of the membership Summit.

Summit
11-23-2008, 00:59
This thread was about a watch. Please don't go placing religious obligations on the rest of the membership Summit.Wondering why you would single me out since Sly, Mags, Tinker, et al have strayed from 'the watch' to discuss things about Jesus as well? I guess in your book it's OK to make fun of Jesus (post #15) but not OK to talk seriously about him? I don't care for nor respect double standards! :confused:

Alligator
11-23-2008, 21:13
Wondering why you would single me out since Sly, Mags, Tinker, et al have strayed from 'the watch' to discuss things about Jesus as well? I guess in your book it's OK to make fun of Jesus (post #15) but not OK to talk seriously about him? I don't care for nor respect double standards! :confused:I addressed you because you were getting preachy. When you start telling other people that they have some debt that you feel they owe due to your particular religion, then you are overstepping boundaries.

I found BJ's comment to be incredibly tame, that Jesus wore a watch. It doesn't merit any attention.

I don't discuss my religious beliefs on this board. Don't go assuming what I find funny or not funny in that regard.

If you feel that this discussion needs to be continued, PM me.

Reid
12-22-2008, 00:59
It doesn't matter if you believe in Jesus, or even if you think that Jesus is you saviour. The fact is is that he IS your savior, the question is, is he your Lord? Now that is truth. And truth is not debateable.

Wise Old Owl
12-22-2008, 02:12
Thanks John, (Alligator) I find it fun to revisit some of my thread starters and discover how fast the direction can change, I learned that I should have made a better title with this one. I tried to give a heads up on a poorly made watch and look where stuff ended up...

darkage
12-22-2008, 03:14
It doesn't matter if you believe in Jesus, or even if you think that Jesus is you saviour. The fact is is that he IS your savior, the question is, is he your Lord? Now that is truth. And truth is not debateable.

Eh, no.

Blue Jay
12-22-2008, 10:01
When hiking I like the Inviso (patent pending) watch. It weighs nothing and costs nothing. Since camp sites, shelters, springs or anything else in the woods do not require a check in time there is absoutely no reason to know the time. Some people like to obsess over MPH and I almost can understand weird mind games of this kind. Kind of like listening to music over birds or wind in the trees (also provided by Inviso). To each his own.

flemdawg1
12-22-2008, 10:53
... Since camp sites, shelters, springs or anything else in the woods do not require a check in time there is absoutely no reason to know the time. ...

Perhaps making it to camp before dark might matter to people.

Analog dial watches can be used as a rudimentary compass, if the sun is visible.

2 reasons right there.

weary
12-22-2008, 13:22
I spent yesterday afternoon printing my usual 15 holiday cards. They go to my five siblings, one close family friend, and several cousins. I know they are late -- as usual. But the message on the front says only, "Happy Holidays."

The photo is a late afternoon December scene of the Kennebec River, as seen from one of our town's land trust preserves.

The inside offers "best wishes for the New Year," superimposed on a photo of the wild pond I've told you folks about from time to time.

If anyone has extra cash, feel free to think about the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust. We need about a million dollars to qualify for a $12 million "forest legacy" grant needed to buy around 5,000 acres in Maine's high peaks area around Saddleback.

Weary www.matlt.org

Pedaling Fool
12-22-2008, 13:34
My all-time favorite christmas present was a Bigwheel. Everything since then has been a disappointment; I just want the money, I'll get my own damn present.

saimyoji
12-22-2008, 14:02
My all-time favorite christmas present was a Bigwheel. Everything since then has been a disappointment; I just want the money, I'll get my own damn present.

the kinks:
Father Christmas

Written by: Ray Davies

Published by: Davray Music, Ltd.
http://kinks.it.rit.edu/discography/chord.gifChord file (http://kinks.it.rit.edu/discography/showsong.php?chord=108)
Lyrics: When I was small I believed in Santa Claus
Though I knew it was my dad
And I would hang up my stocking at Christmas
Open my presents and I'd be glad

But the last time I played Father Christmas
I stood outside a department store
A gang of kids came over and mugged me
And knocked my reindeer to the floor

They said:
Father Christmas, give us some money
Don't mess around with those silly toys.
We'll beat you up if you don't hand it over
We want your bread so don't make us annoyed
Give all the toys to the little rich boys

Don't give my brother a Steve Austin outfit
Don't give my sister a cuddly toy
We don't want a jigsaw or monopoly money
We only want the real McCoy

We'll beat you up if you make us annoyed
Don't mess around with those silly toys

But give my daddy a job 'cause he needs one
He's got lots of mouths to feed
But if you've got one, I'll have a machine gun
So I can scare all the kids down the street

We got no time for your silly toys
We want your bread so don't make us annoyed

Have yourself a merry merry Christmas
Have yourself a good time
But remember the kids who got nothin'
While you're drinkin' down your wine

We got no time for your silly toys
Father Christmas, please hand it over
We'll beat you up, so don't make us annoyed

Don't mess around with those silly toys
We want your bread, so don't make us annoyed

weary
12-22-2008, 23:58
Well, I totally agree with your last sentiment. But when it comes to buying things I tend to think that simple is usually best.

I've used a pulsar watch for the past two + decades. I've replaced the batteries a couple or three times. I bought the watch for half price on sale. Since I prefer a leather strap, I've used up several over the years. I first went with a small store, run by a guy I once worked and hiked with. HIs straps typically lasted a year or two. When my friend died of pancreatic cancer, and his store went out of business, I went to a "regular" jewelry store. Their straps cost four times more, but lasted four time longer, which I kind of suspected. Such is life.

Weary

mudhead
12-23-2008, 06:07

Analog dial watches can be used as a rudimentary compass, if the sun is visible.

2 reasons right there.
Handy for figuring distance travelled with a topo. "I should be about here."

My all-time favorite christmas present was a Bigwheel.

Never had one of those. Bet it was a blast.

Would have broken it being Evel Knievel anyway.

Blue Jay
12-23-2008, 11:17

Actually calculating how soon dark arrives is quite easy without a watch after you've spent a few days outside. In fact it soon becomes imposible not to know.

ATX-Hiker
12-23-2008, 12:21
I got the best christmas gift ever in 1993, my first internal frame pack. It was an REI brand pack, it lasted a good 5 years or so when I was in boy scouts backpacking every other month. Looking back on it now, it wasn't really all that great, kinda heavy and no pockets. I was the first guy in my troop to have an internal frame pack, kinda cool. Does anybody remember those coleman external frame packs that were made out of plastic? Lots of guys in my troop had them and I remember them breaking all the time, sorry kind of off subject there.

weary
12-23-2008, 14:05
It's not a watch, but the best timepiece I've ever owned doubles as an outside, inside thermometer. When I took it out of the box and inserted batteries it set the correct time, day and month, all automatically. And even adjusted for the end of daylight savings time. Apparently it picks up a radio signal from some government station.

Also it measures humidity levels, inside and out -- and predicts the weather, though it sometimes makes a mistake with weather predictions. My wife picked the device up for $1 at the LL Bean employees store.

The directions are bit complex. I'm guessing someone read them and shipped the thing back to Bean's in confusion. So far it's been great, though I doubt if I would ever pay $100 for such a thing.

Weary

LIhikers
12-23-2008, 20:21
As a section hiker the day and date is a more important feature to me than the time function. After a couple of days on the trail I never know what day it is. And since I'm only out for a week or two I need to know when to be home and back to work.

darkage
12-24-2008, 03:20

Exactly!

MOWGLI
12-24-2008, 09:24
I had this electronic pinball machine I got one year. If I saw it today, I'd probably laugh my tail off, but at the time, it was the best present ever.

A couple of years back I was hiking the Alabama Pinhoti. At the halfway point, it was Christmas Eve, so I went home. My headlamp had died on me and was badlyin need of replacement. My Sister-in-Law got my name in the family gift exchange, and sent me a brand new headlamp. She had no idea it was exactly whatI needed., It was a guess on her part.

Merry Christmas everyone! And Happy Chanukah to my Jewish friends out there.

yaduck9
12-24-2008, 10:44
Inexpensive, lifetime guarantee, simple, straight forward, no gimmicks.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=53786&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=51978-ppxs&dds=y