PDA

View Full Version : Water Filtration

hikergirl1120
11-16-2008, 13:54
I want the opinion of others.:-?

I am in the process of acquiring gear for a thru hike in 2009. As an essential part of that comes my water filtration system. I have previously been partial to a pump although slow I guess it was something that I was just used to using...but now I am considering the Steri Pen with the pre-filter. Seems like it might be a really good idea...

Has anyone used one?? I brushed off the idea originally but now I am reading more and it seems like it may actually be a good idea.

Just looking for some feedback.

ChinMusic
11-16-2008, 14:02
For the AT the pre-filter is not necessary. AT water for the most part is clear. If little "bits" bother you then carry the pre-filter.

I use the Original Steripen (lithium batteries) with a simple 32-oz Gatorade bottle (no nalgene). I also carry a Platypus Water Tank (4L), as a dirty water carrier, for camp and for times that 1 liter will not cut it.

take-a-knee
11-16-2008, 14:41
I made a DIY drip filter from these directions at Just Jeff's site:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearGravityFilter.html

It is basically a homemade version of the ULA filter, cross contamination is minimized with the rolltop bag (water can't spill from the top and run down into your vessel. It takes about 15min to fill a 3L Platypus. The filter is field maintainable (remove and clean the outer sleeve). The only thing remotely difficult about the project is trimming the threaded portion off of the filter. You would likely need a replacement filter on a thru, the mods would need to be done before hand (at home) so this would be a matter of planning.

Ziggy Trek
11-16-2008, 15:06
Stick with what you know now. Your head won't hurt as much as mine did when I was considering a Steri Pen.
I've read reports saying that the Steri Pen is useless. Then they go on to show you the scientific data to back it up.
I've read reports saying the Steri Pen is very effective. They also back up that claim with scientific data.

If a device does not work will we even know? What if the water sources we use happen to be clean anyway? I can say for sure that your pump is a less-confusing choice.

Live the Journey
11-16-2008, 15:36
Steri-pens cause a bit of concern for me....I get the idea, but if your water is cloudy (even a bit) that's going to minimize the amount of UV light that's refracted through your water source.

Water treatment is tricky...You don't know you're system isn't working until it's too late and you get sick, or your treatment doesn't work but you don't get sick and just figure that your system is working when it isn't. Of course, being the safety sheriff, lots of people have told me that my filter/aqua mira system is way overkill...oh well. You'll figure out a system that you're comfortable with!

ChinMusic
11-16-2008, 21:25
UVC has plenty of scientific data to back up its efficacy. Municipalites use it in many areas for the public. There is nothing to fear about using a Steripen. With reasonably clear water it is totally effective. The AT is nealy all clear water.

No matter what system you use you still need a back-up. Filters can break/clog. Steripens can break, batteries die. I carry Micropur tablets for my back-up. My Steripen has been golden and I have only had to use my Micropur tabs once. That was when the water source was turbid and I didn't have time to let it settle out.

turtle fast
11-16-2008, 21:49
While on the trail this year, I have seen the steripen fail way too much. I have seen way too many with broken or nonfunctioning bulbs, and units that failed to operate for seemingly no reason. ALSO, the batteries go fast...even lithium...so most folks had to carry more batteries....hence more weight. Most folks I knew with them sent them back or trashed them and either went to a filter or moreover use Aqua mira which I saw the most of and is light.

ChinMusic
11-16-2008, 22:00
Some people don't know how to care for their equipment. Filters can be ruined with such poor care as well.

The Steripen should be good for around 100 liters per set of lithium batteries. That said, I always carry an extra set. Lithium batteries are very light.

Egads
11-16-2008, 22:07
Use aquamira

ChinMusic
11-16-2008, 22:11
Use aquamira
Great stuff if you have the time to wait.....

.....or don't care about Crypto

turtle fast
11-16-2008, 22:20
I had used aquamira AND had a First Need (General Ecology) filter for two hikers. We used common sense in filtering water, and sometimes we would combine boiling the water when water sources seemed sketchy near camp for dinners or breakfast.

88BlueGT
11-16-2008, 23:15
My hiking partner has a steri-pen that we both use when we go out and it seems to work great. I was considering buying one just simply because of the size/weight but after 2 days in PA and everything being dried up except for spots that were barely big enough to get a bottle in to fill, I WISHED I had a filter. Theres pro's and con's to each, flip a coin.

Tinker
11-16-2008, 23:29
The only rational concern I've heard about the Steripen is that it doesn't (or may not) kill nasties in the threads of your water bottle. Folks who use chemical treatments routinely swish a little treated water over the threads to accomplish that. Using a water filter carefully should also eliminate that particular problem. The only nasties on your bottle threads will likely be those that came from your own mouth :p.
I use a First Need purifier because it filters, kills viruses, and doesn't leave your water tasting funny. It's expensive, bulky, and heavy, however. I choose to use what I know works (I bought this type of filter in the early '80s after getting sick on a trip - it hasn't happened since).

Summit
11-17-2008, 00:42
I echo ChinMusic's Steripen sentiments. Lithium batteries don't last? The set I just replaced lasted over a month! That's pretty doggone good. They are more fragile than a filter so if you're the type of person who breaks crowbars in a sandbox, you might want to pass on the Steripen. I've had mine about 3 years now with no problems . . . even dropped it a couple of times and it's still ticking, er uh, illuminating! :) As with Tinker and his filter, I haven't gotten the least bit sick or had any digestive system issues since I began using the Steripen.

Ziggy Trek
11-17-2008, 01:08
I echo ChinMusic's Steripen sentiments. Lithium batteries don't last? The set I just replaced lasted over a month! That's pretty doggone good. They are more fragile than a filter so if you're the type of person who breaks crowbars in a sandbox, you might want to pass on the Steripen. I've had mine about 3 years now with no problems . . . even dropped it a couple of times and it's still ticking, er uh, illuminating! :) As with Tinker and his filter, I haven't gotten the least bit sick or had any digestive system issues since I began using the Steripen.
Not to get off topic but the image of breaking a crowbar in a sandbox almost had me on the floor laughing! Is that a common phrase or did you invent it? I love WB.
In light of Hiker Girl's question. Have you used it in cloudy or nasty water? I assume that three years of use means "yes" but just curious. My reason for asking is that AT spring water dosen't seem to be a threat (IMHO, I've been drinking it untreated for decades), it's those nasty AT creeks and rivers that creep me out.

Summit
11-17-2008, 07:59
Not to get off topic but the image of breaking a crowbar in a sandbox almost had me on the floor laughing! Is that a common phrase or did you invent it? I love WB.
In light of Hiker Girl's question. Have you used it in cloudy or nasty water? I assume that three years of use means "yes" but just curious. My reason for asking is that AT spring water dosen't seem to be a threat (IMHO, I've been drinking it untreated for decades), it's those nasty AT creeks and rivers that creep me out.No I heard the crowbar analogy somewhere . . . can't remember where. I know people who 'resemble that remark!' I carry the Steripen pre-filter but have only played with it - never actually needed it on the AT, and I've gotten water out of a barely flowing, scooped out puddle a few times. Carry a few Aqua Mira tablets for a backup if you wish. I don't on the AT.

Roots
11-17-2008, 08:11
YES...the SteriPen works. I agree it is all in how you take care of your equipment. I carried it for a 200 mile section this year and didn't have to change the batteries at all. That is a lot of usage especially considering the Steri on does 32 oz at a time. I use lithium batteries. I would take the pre-filter. What I have discovered is it does help in areas with low water because it is so easy to stir up sediment. Another help is filling a water bag and letting the sediment settle before using the steri. Just some suggestions. Good luck!

Homer&Marje
11-17-2008, 08:35
UVC has plenty of scientific data to back up its efficacy. Municipalites use it in many areas for the public. There is nothing to fear about using a Steripen. With reasonably clear water it is totally effective. The AT is nealy all clear water.

No matter what system you use you still need a back-up. Filters can break/clog. Steripens can break, batteries die. I carry Micropur tablets for my back-up. My Steripen has been golden and I have only had to use my Micropur tabs once. That was when the water source was turbid and I didn't have time to let it settle out.

Municipalities use UV light as 1 of the three step process. Usually carbon or charcoal filter + UV Light exposure + chemical induction i.e. chlorine.

Use a filter. They are easy to clean and maintain in the field. I will no longer suggest the MSR products, after 3 failed (the 13 year old one still works) the others didn't make their second trip. I've got the Katahdin Vario now and seems to be working fine. No complaints so far.

FYOW (Filter your own water:D)

Two Speed
11-17-2008, 09:10
Municipalities use UV light as 1 of the three step process. Usually carbon or charcoal filter + UV Light exposure + chemical induction i.e. chlorine . . . I don't think so. UV is used to disinfect the water in place of chemical treatment. It's the final step, after settling and filtration.

BTW, :welcome, hikergirl1120. Good luck on your thru.

garlic08
11-17-2008, 09:23
They are more fragile than a filter so if you're the type of person who breaks crowbars in a sandbox, you might want to pass on the Steripen.

I'll have to remember this one, too. I'm a volunteer firefighter, and the phrase I hear more often about reliability is that if you put a firefighter in a locked room with two bowling balls, he or she will break one and loose the other. The unattainable goal in fire equipment is making it "firefighter proof". Never been done.

With that sentiment, I don't carry either a filter or a UV device. I've personally never seen either last a through hike (though I've heard of it).

I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't treat water (much) and never had a problem. Same with my wife, also my long-time hiking partner. We carry AquaMira and a bandanna and seldom use it. Spring water on the AT is the best water in the world--can't imagine dumping chemicals into it. When drinking from a lake or stream in an agricultural or heavily used area is absolutely unavoidable, sure, I'll treat it.

What I do, religiously, is wash hands and eating utensils, don't let hikers put their hands in my food bag (share by pouring), don't sleep in shelters with sick, coughing people, eat and drink well, rest well. I've managed to always stay healthy on trail.

I wonder when I see a hiker scientifically treating beautiful spring water with the lastest device, but fail to wash hands after defecating and then sit down to eat from a crusty pot, then shake hands with his friend who just walked up saying he's afraid he has giardia or something. Sorry if you're eating breakfast, but really, I've seen this. All I'm saying is that many sick hikers probably shouldn't be blaming the water.

Two Speed
11-17-2008, 09:30
Lotta good common sense in Garlic's post. Filtering is pointless if you don't attend to hygiene.

For anyone who's interested there are lots of good articles on the main page. A good one to start with is Giardia Lamblia and Giardiasis With Particular Attention to the Sierra Nevada (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=119497#post119497). A little technical, but offers a great overall picture.

dradius
11-17-2008, 09:40
I realize most of these ideas are better than what I have to say. But here is what I do; use a jetboil to boil water in the mornings or while hiking during the day if I run low. At night I boil water over the campfire. I also take a dozen or so coffee filters with me. If I need to filter water, just filter with those and then boil. They are also a good way to start a fire if not much kindling around. Of course the jetdirect also lets me make coffee, quickly make oatmeal or soup, etc. too.

Two Speed
11-17-2008, 09:44
I realize most of these ideas are better than what I have to say . . . Of course the jetdirect also lets me make coffee, quickly make oatmeal or soup, etc. too.That's gonna eat up a lot of fuel, but boiling is an effective way to disinfect water. If it works for you have at it.

dradius
11-17-2008, 10:06
That's gonna eat up a lot of fuel, but boiling is an effective way to disinfect water. If it works for you have at it.

I can't argue too much with that. I tried to keep my post simple but guess I should have elaborated a little bit. I primarily use the jetboil on really cold mornings to make a cup of hot chocolate or whatever to get me going. Note, this water is from a creek if available, since I'm boiling it anyways no need to get the water from my bottle. Then on cold days where I want a hot lunch, I can quickly boil a couple of cups to make soup or oatmeal or whatever along the trail. For my drinking water, I primarily boil over a camp fire at night and top off my bottles, which I ration though the next day until I repeat the process at the next night's camp. There have been a couple of times where for whatever reason I would run out or really low during the day, so the jetboil allows me to dip my cup in a creek and have boiled ready to drink water in just a couple of minutes. Using it like this, a single can of fuel can last a couple of weeks. They are pretty efficient. But yeah, it is what it is. Like everything, there are pros and cons.

Lone Wolf
11-17-2008, 10:13
With that sentiment, I don't carry either a filter or a UV device.

I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't treat water and never had a problem. Same with my wife, also my long-time hiking partner. Spring water on the AT is the best water in the world--can't imagine dumping chemicals into it.

I wonder when I see a hiker scientifically treating beautiful spring water with the lastest device, but fail to wash hands after defecating and then sit down to eat from a crusty pot, then shake hands with his friend who just walked up saying he's afraid he has giardia or something. Sorry if you're eating breakfast, but really, I've seen this. All I'm saying is that many sick hikers probably shouldn't be blaming the water.

ditto. i don't treat or filter or share food ever. never been sick

hikergirl1120
11-17-2008, 11:02
Its funny becuase after I posted this I went into REI and they had a display for the Steri Pen. It's in a little glass of water and you are supposed to be able to try it....it was broken. I am taking that as a red flag.

Roots
11-17-2008, 11:28
There have been numerous threads about the Steri and its affectiveness. Go under search and type SteriPen. You'll probably spend the better part of the day reading. To each his own on what they use or don't use for treating water or if they do treat water. One will definitely say the filter is the best and the other will swear by the Steri and then there are many who don't do any of it. My suggestion is to just use the filter if that is what you are used to.

ChinMusic
11-17-2008, 11:51
Its funny becuase after I posted this I went into REI and they had a display for the Steri Pen. It's in a little glass of water and you are supposed to be able to try it....it was broken. I am taking that as a red flag.
No, it's just that a fireman was at the store before you.

Summit
11-17-2008, 19:38
No, it's just that a fireman was at the store before you.Or sand and crowbar chips lying nearby! :D

I hate filters due to the pumping. Had a 'first needs' once and between the pumping and constant clogging/cleaning, it was a complete PITA. Until the Steripen came along, I, like many others was just careful where I got my water from and didn't filter or treat it. I refuse to taint the awesome taste of great mountain water with chemicals. The Steripen solves all those problems. It is reliable and effective if used with reasonable care.