PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Thru-Hikers?

Filadelfia Greenberg
11-16-2008, 17:08
Okay, so I've been wondering about this for a while,

As Thru-hiking is kinda a hippie-esque thing to do, I'm sure vegans have attempted it. I'm...leery about an entirely vegan diet being a possibility for a thru-hiker (because of the practical issues/availability of potable, lightweight, vegan food, and it's (in)ability to give a thru-hiker the nutrition he or she needs for a sustained level of ridiculously high activity).

Then again, people have done the whole trail barefoot, or carrying tubas or cats, so maybe it's not quite so far-fetched.

So, my question is, does anyone know if anyone has actually completed an entire thru-hike eating only vegan food?

Blue Jay
11-16-2008, 19:04
At least one of the Tooth Faries did, but I can't remember which year.

max patch
11-16-2008, 19:26
Lot of vegans seem to love a big ole greasy cheeseburger in town.

Lone Wolf
11-16-2008, 21:02
As Thru-hiking is kinda a hippie-esque thing to do, I'm sure vegans have attempted it.

oh really? :rolleyes: most of "them" don't make it. most of the folks i know that hike are omnivores

Filadelfia Greenberg
11-16-2008, 21:25

As Thru-hiking is kinda a hippie-esque thing to do, I'm sure vegans have attempted it. I'm...leery about an entirely vegan diet being a possibility for a thru-hiker (because of the practical issues/availability of potable, lightweight, vegan food, and it's (in)ability to give a thru-hiker the nutrition he or she needs for a sustained level of ridiculously high activity).

Then again, people have done the whole trail barefoot, or carrying tubas or cats, so maybe it's not quite so far-fetched.

So, my question is, does anyone know if anyone has actually completed an entire thru-hike eating only vegan food?

oh really? :rolleyes: most of "them" don't make it. most of the folks i know that hike are omnivores

That's what I figured. When I was hiking, I'd say nearly every vegetarian I met was either off trail or an omnivore by Maine. The only one I know for a fact that finished skipped about 200 miles or so.

Vegans have an even more restrictive diet than vegetarians, so I figured there was no way they could manage the whole thing and stick to it.

Blissful
11-16-2008, 22:42

As Thru-hiking is kinda a hippie-esque thing to do,

Never thought of myself as a hippie because I hiked the entire AT. :)

is there a definition?

Serial 07
11-17-2008, 00:45
i'm a vegetarian, i did the trail and i'm under the good graces of lone wolf...now this is a real party of one...:banana

Dogwood
11-17-2008, 00:52

If U do a search on WB on vegeterian and Vegan AT thru-hiking U will find this discussed in some detail. Just several wks. ago it was bounced around for a while.

sarbar
11-17-2008, 01:09
Have met a few who have done the PCT and did just fine.

All it takes is a bit more planning. Heck, this summer I met one who ate raw foods. He was skinny but fine.

Blue Jay
11-17-2008, 09:46
That's what I figured. When I was hiking, I'd say nearly every vegetarian I met was either off trail or an omnivore by Maine. The only one I know for a fact that finished skipped about 200 miles or so.

So you started this thread not to answer a bogus question, but to bash people who choose not to eat meat? Did one of them piss you off?

dradius
11-17-2008, 09:53
lol, really. At first I was like oh cool a vegan from Louisville. Then I kept reading and was like ooohhhh, nevermind.
And as far as people giving up being veggie or vegan on a thru hike... that is pretty lame. I would say those people would have given it up eventually regardless of their AT trip.

take-a-knee
11-17-2008, 10:27
lol, really. At first I was like oh cool a vegan from Louisville. Then I kept reading and was like ooohhhh, nevermind.
And as far as people giving up being veggie or vegan on a thru hike... that is pretty lame. I would say those people would have given it up eventually regardless of their AT trip.

Yes, the smart ones anyway.

dradius
11-17-2008, 10:29
Yes, the smart ones anyway.

so why did you click on this thread again? :confused:

Filadelfia Greenberg
11-17-2008, 11:44
So you started this thread not to answer a bogus question, but to bash people who choose not to eat meat? Did one of them piss you off?

When in the hell did I say that? I'm just stating what my experience was, I'm not "bashing" anyone.

My question wasn't bogus, I really wanted to know if anyone had pulled it off.

flagator
11-17-2008, 12:41
Yeah I personally didnt see him ask any bogus questions, or bash anyone.

To try and answer your question, I'm sure atleast a few people have done it. Most vegans I know WILL NOT stray, as it is a lifestyle not just a fad. As vegans I know are religious, healthfreaks, straight edge, or animal activists, or a mix. Anyhow the only thing with vegans is that most of their foods are not as calorie dense. So they are stuck with carrying a lot of bulk stuff which would require more frequent stops. But Im sure if you did many mail drops with calorie dense vegan foods such as peanutbutter(i believe would qualify) trailmixes etc. Just because no one on these forums know a person doesnt mean a darn thing. Theres many thruhikers that have come and gone without informing whiteblaze of their eating habits. Im catholic, I went vegan for lent one year (which is where you give up something for 40 days 40 nights)... extremely inconvenient, pretty expensive, and HUNGRY ALL THE FREAKIN TIME. I respect both vegetarians and vegans for what they do. For now on I'm gonna be a Beefatarian and proud of it

Tilly
11-17-2008, 13:05
Okay...in all seriousness, I do think that being vegan on the trail would be diffucult, but then again I'm not vegan, just vegetarian who admittedly will eat fish on the trail while hiking (tuna and salmon packets.)

I just wonder if someone with a restricted diet with even more restricted food choices would end up depending too much on junk food, which may be VEGAN but not necessarily healthy for a trip like this.

Soy is good...in tofu...but unlimited processed soy protein isolate is not easily digested/absorbed by the body...so I don't know how much you can depend on that.

Good luck to you, I guess you could depend 100% on foodboxes and not eat too much in town.

I have a hard enough time not eating meat, forget about excluding every single product that comes from an animal.

Tilly
11-17-2008, 13:06
Clarification:

The last sentence...I don't have a hard time giving up meat, I don't really like it anymore anyway. I just meant that I have a hard time finding things to eat that aren't all meat when I'm traveling. Thanks!

tazie
11-17-2008, 13:11
There was a thread started about a month ago by swheeler05 on the same topic. Sorry, don't know how to link to it. John Mackey, CEO of whole foods, completed a thru-hike as a vegan, others have, too.

I will say this, I prepared and cooked vegan for my daughter for almost 2yrs. The food was good and tasty, but not too filling...she was,

HUNGRY ALL THE FREAKIN TIME.
flagator got that right.

Protein satiates you, so make sure you get get some form of it, whatever source, as you will need that to sustain you on a long, enduring hike. My daughter gave up the vegan diet, she's a college athlete and decided she felt better physically, and mentally with meat in the diet.
Do what works for you, but do your research and be prepared. Good luck.

DavidNH
11-17-2008, 14:31
I really wonder if this is possible, to thru hike the AT as a vegan. No Meat, no dairy products (even in towns) and hence no snickers bars, no cheese. Can this be done?

Perhaps because I am so totally non vegan that this seems so impossible to me. When I am out hiking, I don't dream of salads. I dream of steaks and chocolate and gewy cheesey stuff.

From a more objective standpoint though, I wonder if a vegan, no meat or dairy even at town stops, would have nutritional problems. Anyone with info on this?

Oh god, All's I want is chocolate and cheese, and all sorts of burgers, and mexican food and yummy southern bisuits and gravey and ice cream and cocoa, and burgers and fries and just keep it comin!. No veganism or vegatrianism for me. Nope. Not happenin!file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/DAVIDM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

DavidNH

Marta
11-17-2008, 16:07
I don't know any vegans who have completed a thru-hike, but I know a number of vegetarians who have done the whole Trail without eating meat. VigilAuntie and Y did this year. In '06, Site Specific and Bonefish hiked SOBO. Lush was a vegetarian NOBO.

A memory of a vegan confessing that they broke down and ate some cheese during their thru-hike is teasing at my brain. Not quite the same as wolfing down burgers, though.

Spogatz
11-17-2008, 16:11
Maybe it could be a graze as you go kinda thing.....

Bare Bear
11-17-2008, 18:20
Bright Eyes 2006..........I do not know if she did a journal or not but she stuck to her beliefs and it was not easy on her. I admired her for it, having to chew bean sprouts 24/7 is not fun. She was always apologizing for eating while she talked but the calorie intake was so slow that she had to eat constantly it seemed.

Serial 07
11-17-2008, 19:28
anybody who had (or saw) a companion this year saw two vegans that did the A.T., their pictures were used for the cover and the back...now, i don't know if they finished, i was "living the dream" in 2007, but Twig and Stitch (i think that was there names) were vegans...

its certainly possible to do the trail vegan, but maildrops would be a must i would say...as a vegetarian, i just ate a lot of whole grains, cous cous, peanut butter and the egg/cheese/biscuit to get protein, but i'm sure i coulda used more...but there's also, IMO, an over consumption of meat (and the thought of "gotta eat protein") in this country that sways the thought process of how much is needed or necessary...

Dogwood
11-17-2008, 22:48
I hear it over and over and over again. The idea that if one is a Vegan or vegetarian they must not be getting the protein they need. ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE! Protein DOES NOT just come from animal products!!! Silver back Goriilas, Rhinos, Elephants, Zebras, Horses, Giraffes, etc. etc. get the protein they need to energize their huge enormously powerful muscles and they R all vegetarians. If anything, many Americans get too much protein in their diets. YES, it is absolutely possible to complete a thru-hike on a Vegan or vegetarian diet!!!

sarbar
11-18-2008, 00:21
I was a vegan for a number of years. I am not now - but for the most part when I hike I eat a vegetarian diet. I don't deal well with eating large amounts of meat in one sitting (frankly I cook meat at home to keep the men from revolting.....if it was up to me we would eat beans, beans and more beans instead of meat. So the meat we eat is only stuff I can handle eating......)
I don't miss meat when hiking. You know how everyone starts talking food? Mine is usually pasta and iced tea. Or a big platter of veggie Mexican food.
I tend to eat forms of beans/rice/pasta/vegetables/fruit and some cheese added in. Easy enough to toss the cheese for a vegan.
Yes, in most cases you would have to plan all 5-6 months out carefully using mail drops. But it can be done. And no, you wouldn't "suffer".
There are so many options nowadays in stores for vegans. Well, at least here in the PNW and via the web there are ;)

Compass
11-18-2008, 00:31
On the same note.

Think of the strongest animals that do hard work...... They are vegan.(Ox, Mule, horses, elephants)

Think of a lazy/napping animal(may be fast in spurts)...... They are the carnovores.(Felions, Crocodiles, Boar)

I feel better on a balanced diet that includes red meat.

take-a-knee
11-18-2008, 01:02
I hear it over and over and over again. The idea that if one is a Vegan or vegetarian they must not be getting the protein they need. ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE! Protein DOES NOT just come from animal products!!! Silver back Goriilas, Rhinos, Elephants, Zebras, Horses, Giraffes, etc. etc. get the protein they need to energize their huge enormously powerful muscles and they R all vegetarians. If anything, many Americans get too much protein in their diets. YES, it is absolutely possible to complete a thru-hike on a Vegan or vegetarian diet!!!

That is what is known as "Silly Bull****". None of those critters you listed needs to consume any vitamin C either, guess where you'll be in a few months if you consume zero Vit C...taking a dirt nap. Speaking of dirt naps the life expectancy in India is 62. Thoreau's little ox analogy falls a bit short scientifically (come to think of it, he died young also). Of course protein comes in non-animal forms, we knew that, what you apparently don't know is different protein sources have varying degrees a bioavailabilty ( egg white is the standard at 100%, corn? -40%)

If you don't have a well-muscled body you are protein/exercise deficient. If your body fat is over 20% you are consuming too many carbs. There is no longer any debate that the Zone diet's 40/30/30 (carb, fat, protein) ratio will prolong longevity and reduce illness. This can be done on a veggie diet, I doubt it is achievable as a vegan. I've talked to ICU nurses who've taken care of lots of east Indians, they are frail and sickly, like most vegans will be before they get really old.

HALF of your non-water weight is, you guessed it, PROTEIN. So. keep shuffing along on your 30 or so grams/day and shuffle is all you'll be able to do down the road.

dradius
11-18-2008, 10:25
nothing like pseudo intellectual vegan bashing to make me lmao in the morning!
vegetarian diet = 62 year old life expectancy. lmao. what's the life expectancy of black males in America? or Native Americans?

Tilly
11-18-2008, 13:18
You can't compare vegan with vegetarian diets. They are as different as vegetarian-omnivore diets are.

You can't compare humans to animals that are herbivores. They have different digestive systems and are just made differently than we are.

I'm sure no one could hike on eucalyptus leaves...

dradius
11-18-2008, 14:09
You can't compare humans to animals that are herbivores. They have different digestive systems and are just made differently than we are.

Like what? Herbivores having really long intestines/colon? And carnivores have short digestive tracts? Hey wait, don't humans have really long...

take-a-knee
11-18-2008, 15:24
nothing like pseudo intellectual vegan bashing to make me lmao in the morning!
vegetarian diet = 62 year old life expectancy. lmao. what's the life expectancy of black males in America? or Native Americans?

Black males and American Indians live a reduced life span in part due to poor food selection/availability. I'm not bashing you, I don't want you to labor under a false assumption that being a vegan is a healthy dietary choice. If you consume inadequate protein, you WILL live a reduced lifespan/and or spend much of your life in a debiliated state, like those folks in India with their 62yo life expectancy. Being a vegetarian might well be a wise move, it has worked for Jack Lallane for seven decades, which is longer than most vegans will likely live. Arguing for less than optimal dietary protein is as boneheaded as arguing for less than optimal oxygen or water consumption, the checks just take a little longer to bounce.

desiderata
11-18-2008, 15:45
It can be done!!

I would never personally...but on a section in PA I met a thruhiker who did it by freezedrying all her meals before she left and obviously maildropping them. ANYTHING can be freezedried...this veggie chili she had was really good. but obviously if you're going to do that it takes a hell of a lot more planning and effort...but best of luck to you.

Tilly
11-18-2008, 16:23
Like what? Herbivores having really long intestines/colon? And carnivores have short digestive tracts? Hey wait, don't humans have really long...

Um...so you have multiple stomachs? Like a cow?

Tilly
11-18-2008, 16:26
Original point being: Different animals thrive on different diets.

A cat would do badly on a vegetarian diet.

A horse would do badly if it wasn't fed grains.

Mags
11-18-2008, 16:35
All this theoretical discussions of different diets in pre-industrial cultures has jack to do with the question...

Anyway....

Can a vegan thru-hike be done?

Absolutely. It will just take more discipline and planning than some people may want to put into a thru-hike. Of course, if you are dedicated vegan, you may already have that discipline. But, again, it will not be easy.

A vegetarian thru-hike is logistically easier, however. If you still want to be meat-free, and don't mind bending a little bit, this type of thru-hike is very doable. Numerous people do it every year on all the trails.

take-a-knee
11-18-2008, 17:44
Um...so you have multiple stomachs? Like a cow?

That's one for him to ruminate upon.:-?

dradius
11-18-2008, 17:54
lmao. you guys are great. you are both obviously far more enlightened than myself on this subject, so i will gracefully bow out.

Slosteppin
11-18-2008, 20:59
I have not done a thru hike (yet) but I have been 99% vegetarian for over 70 years. I don't think getting enough protein is a problem at all. For me, getting enough iron in my diet is harder. I finally started taking iron supplements.

It is far easier to maintain a vegetarian diet now than it was 50 years ago. I can get by in any restaurant or small town grocery store. If I can do this in Maine or northern Michigan it should be possible anywhere in the US.

As Sarbar said beans, beans and more beans. Thanks for the book by the way - I will get the next on as soon as I see it for sale. I'm always looking for bean soup recipes I can dehydrate.

Slosteppin

Dogwood
11-18-2008, 21:15
That is what is known as "Silly Bull****". None of those critters you listed needs to consume any vitamin C either, guess where you'll be in a few months if you consume zero Vit C...taking a dirt nap. Speaking of dirt naps the life expectancy in India is 62. Thoreau's little ox analogy falls a bit short scientifically (come to think of it, he died young also). Of course protein comes in non-animal forms, we knew that, what you apparently don't know is different protein sources have varying degrees a bioavailabilty ( egg white is the standard at 100%, corn? -40%)

If you don't have a well-muscled body you are protein/exercise deficient. If your body fat is over 20% you are consuming too many carbs. There is no longer any debate that the Zone diet's 40/30/30 (carb, fat, protein) ratio will prolong longevity and reduce illness. This can be done on a veggie diet, I doubt it is achievable as a vegan. I've talked to ICU nurses who've taken care of lots of east Indians, they are frail and sickly, like most vegans will be before they get really old.

HALF of your non-water weight is, you guessed it, PROTEIN. So. keep shuffing along on your 30 or so grams/day and shuffle is all you'll be able to do down the road.

Whoa!!! Why R U trying to attack me or someone living a Vegan or vegetarian lifestyle??? I never tried pushing anything on anyone. I was only trying to answer the original poster's question. Yes, it's possible to complete a thru-hike on a Vegan or vegeterian diet. I know several who have on the AT, PCT, and CDT.

I know I shouldn't go down this road, as this is a hiker related forum but, never the less, here I go. Where U get the idea that those vegetarian animals compass or myself mentioned don't need Vit C I have no idea. Where U get the idea that if U don't have a well-muscled body U R protein deficient I have no idea. The idea that if your body fat is above 20 % U R consuming too many carbs isn't necessarily so. Maybe, U heard some late night info commercial pushing some anti-carb product promising one could get healthy and fit by simply eliminating or restricting carbs and buying their product. Yes, bioavailability can be different with diffrent protein sources. Trying to equate the life expectancy in any country, no matter what the diet, solely based on diet is being shortsighted. Many factors can contribute to life expectancy like: inadequate health care, not enough food(no matter what kind of diet is consumed), genetics, etc. India is a case in pt. Where U get the idea that people on long term Vegan or vegetarian diets always become sick or frail totally because of their diet is being shortsighted. Many life decisions and environments can contribute to total well being.

My comment about where protein comes from was meant to answer the question that inevitably arises when vegetarian or Vegan diets are discussed-Where do U get your proten from?

And lastly, I don't want anyone to mistakenly believe that I ever said or meant to imply that simply being a Vegan or vegetarian, or however one may define their dietary choices, means one is necessarily healthier simply because their diet. I find many people who eat meat to eat healthier than their Vegan and vegetarian counterparts. In my mind, it's about total health and total nutrition.

By the way, I don't eat red meat, but I'm not a vegetarian or Vegan either. I do eat seafood about twice per wk. and chicken about once a month.

take-a-knee
11-18-2008, 22:30
Whoa!!! Why R U trying to attack me or someone living a Vegan or vegetarian lifestyle??? I never tried pushing anything on anyone. I was only trying to answer the original poster's question. Yes, it's possible to complete a thru-hike on a Vegan or vegeterian diet. I know several who have on the AT, PCT, and CDT.

I know I shouldn't go down this road, as this is a hiker related forum but, never the less, here I go. Where U get the idea that those vegetarian animals compass or myself mentioned don't need Vit C I have no idea. Where U get the idea that if U don't have a well-muscled body U R protein deficient I have no idea. The idea that if your body fat is above 20 % U R consuming too many carbs isn't necessarily so. Maybe, U heard some late night info commercial pushing some anti-carb product promising one could get healthy and fit by simply eliminating or restricting carbs and buying their product. Yes, bioavailability can be different with diffrent protein sources. Trying to equate the life expectancy in any country, no matter what the diet, solely based on diet is being shortsighted. Many factors can contribute to life expectancy like: inadequate health care, not enough food(no matter what kind of diet is consumed), genetics, etc. India is a case in pt. Where U get the idea that people on long term Vegan or vegetarian diets always become sick or frail totally because of their diet is being shortsighted. Many life decisions and environments can contribute to total well being.

My comment about where protein comes from was meant to answer the question that inevitably arises when vegetarian or Vegan diets are discussed-Where do U get your proten from?

And lastly, I don't want anyone to mistakenly believe that I ever said or meant to imply that simply being a Vegan or vegetarian, or however one may define their dietary choices, means one is necessarily healthier simply because their diet. I find many people who eat meat to eat healthier than their Vegan and vegetarian counterparts. In my mind, it's about total health and total nutrition.

By the way, I don't eat red meat, but I'm not a vegetarian or Vegan either. I do eat seafood about twice per wk. and chicken about once a month.

Dog:

No one in this forum, myself included, attacked you or anyone else. Some of what I posted is anecdotal ( the nurses opinions, based on decades of experience and education), most if not all of it has some SOLID science behind it, I ain't your google whore but it ain't hard to find, check out Zone Diet, Paleo Diet, hyperinsulinism and that'll keep you busy for days. Then read up on Metabolic syndrome and body fat %'s, 20% ain't exactly athletic, but it won't kill you, that is, it is a reasonable level to maintain, any more (for a male) will shorten your life, that isn't debatable.

The easiest way to obtain high quailty protein and iron is lean meat, high quality protein and calcium for dairy, and those are my sources. There is a lot to be said for a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet, add a little fish and that's even better. That vegan stuff isn't science based, it is emotion based, and it can and will kill some people off a bit early.

As far as being "well muscled", go spend some time in nursing homes and see how many residents are "well muscled". I'll save you the trip (though you should see for yourself anyway), NONE. You think there might be a connection? Sarcopenia (vanishing muscle) is diet/exercise related, not age related.

It takes a stack of lumber (protein) and a carpenter (exercise) to build a house. No carpenter (exercise) and you get a stack of rotten wood eventually. No lumber (protein) and a decent carpenter can cobble together a shanty out of scrounged wood (vegan diet), but it won't be one of those Japanese Shinto temples that'll last centuries. You want a Shinto temple? Then Crossfit and follow the Zone Diet (vegetarian if you wish, just get the protein).

If you were about to step into the path of a freight train, would you think it rude of me to "shout" at you? (and the others who'll read this)

Mags
11-18-2008, 22:47
..and to sum this up:

Vegan: Doable but difficult. Mail drops are a must
Veggie: No problem; many people do it every year...
Omnivore: Very easy. Esp if you are like me and like a beer and burger. :banana

Finally, while this isn't thru-hiking, this man may disagree (http://www.scottjurek.com/career.php) that you can't be athletic and be vegan...

take-a-knee
11-18-2008, 23:13
..and to sum this up:

Finally, while this isn't thru-hiking, this man may disagree (http://www.scottjurek.com/career.php) that you can't be athletic and be vegan...

He looks kinda puny, I saw all sorts of endurance PR's, how much can he deadlift? Overhead press? Squat? He may well beat us to the nursing home. No one ever got placed into a long term care facility because their marathon time was too slow, they wind up there often because they can't extend their hips anymore (IE rise from a chair unaided). Running 100mi weeks won't prevent that muscle loss and it may speed it up. 15 miles/week of running is the point of diminishing returns, IE no longevity increase with more than 15 mi of running/wk (source, Dr Ken Cooper, who coined the term aerobics as an exercise modality decades ago). LD runners have reduced testosterone levels, they father twice as many females as males, they like to sit around and watch Oprah. They look like the "before picture" in the Charles Atlas ads. Look at marathoners and 800m runners, who's gonna have proper hip function decades down the road? "Can you say, Sarco-penia? I knew you could?!"

Mags
11-18-2008, 23:20
He's a trail runner. More akin to a fast hiker. Think Brian Robinson, Squeaky, Andrew Skurka, etc. than a 2 hr marathon runner.

Finally, now we are discussing television watching habits? Seriously?

Whatever. Have at it...

I'll just answer the original question again:

..and to sum this up:

Dogwood
11-18-2008, 23:38
LOL. Hey, take-a-knee we have some differences of opinion and that's OK. That's even good. I don't agree with all U have to say and vice-versa. I was just offering my experience with someone that asked a hiking related question. I even enjoyed your story about protein being likened to a stack of lumber and a carpenter being likened to exercise. LOL. Eat on.

sarbar
11-19-2008, 00:52
Plenty of protein to be found in wheat products. And beans.

I love legumes. Eat them all the time. It is one thing I can eat with all my dental work and not have issues (braces friendly!). I cook and dehydrate them. Mix them into my meals aplenty.

In my second cookbook (almost done!) one area I touch on is using legumes in recipes. For me they offer what I need and are easy to chew and digest.

Never had an issue not getting enough protein when hiking. As for iron intake....I don't worry. The medication I take right now I actually have to avoid heavy iron consumption! The few times I do eat red meat....I eat bison. Better tasting than any beef.

Blue Jay
11-19-2008, 05:49
No lumber (protein) and a decent carpenter can cobble together a shanty out of scrounged wood (vegan diet),

Actually I believe scrounged rotten wood would be the typical hiker diet, Pop Tarts in the morning, cereal bars all day and Raman or Mac and Cheese at night. Lets face it the typical hiker eats like crap. This discussion is hysterical and should be moved to the humor section.

Lone Wolf
11-19-2008, 08:45
Actually I believe scrounged rotten wood would be the typical hiker diet, Pop Tarts in the morning, cereal bars all day and Raman or Mac and Cheese at night. Lets face it the typical hiker eats like crap. This discussion is hysterical and should be moved to the humor section.

so true :)

garlic08
11-19-2008, 12:34
Beer and chips is a vegan diet. I love it.

mudhead
11-19-2008, 12:52
No cow chips allowed.

Mags
11-19-2008, 15:49
What about poker chips? They go well with beer....

max patch
11-19-2008, 15:51
I'll just answer the original question again:

..and to sum this up:

I think this answers the question.

TD55
11-19-2008, 15:54
What about poker chips? They go well with beer....
Try peanutbutter and chips on a tortilla with beer. Still vegan, right?

Free Spirit
12-14-2008, 16:31
hi,

I'm a vegan and have hiked the whole trail. It's definitely do-able. I only did 2 mail drops, planning on more but then saw that it wasn't necessary. I'm a bit leery of posting more here considering the amount of dismissing comments, but if you're looking to make it happen I would love to chat, just mail me. If you're looking to find a reason to tell some vegan that you know that "It can't be done," I really won't be of any help.

Melissa

mudhead
12-14-2008, 17:21
Rock on Melissa!

EverydayJourneyman
04-06-2009, 07:27
I'm a vegetarian (have been for nearly 10 years). I'm also the size of a football player which tends to boggle most minds.

Happy to see other non-meatie thru-hikers taking on the AT

ShoelessWanderer
06-02-2009, 17:17

I'm not for sure on that, but...being a vegetarian (which I realize is not the same as a vegan), I thought I'd throw in my 2-cents. The only thing I could say as being a big issue, is that a lot of your refuel stops are going to be in small towns that may not have groceries to accomodate vegans/vegetarians.

I think if I were a vegan, I'd think about mail-drops. You could do it though! Don't get discouraged!

JAK
06-03-2009, 09:20
He looks kinda puny, I saw all sorts of endurance PR's, how much can he deadlift? Overhead press? Squat? He may well beat us to the nursing home. No one ever got placed into a long term care facility because their marathon time was too slow, they wind up there often because they can't extend their hips anymore (IE rise from a chair unaided). Running 100mi weeks won't prevent that muscle loss and it may speed it up. 15 miles/week of running is the point of diminishing returns, IE no longevity increase with more than 15 mi of running/wk (source, Dr Ken Cooper, who coined the term aerobics as an exercise modality decades ago). LD runners have reduced testosterone levels, they father twice as many females as males, they like to sit around and watch Oprah. They look like the "before picture" in the Charles Atlas ads. Look at marathoners and 800m runners, who's gonna have proper hip function decades down the road? "Can you say, Sarco-penia? I knew you could?!"I would agree that most marathon runners are over-specialized, but most men that do alot of weight lifting are also over-specialized, having more muscle mass than they actually need and not enough cardiovascular health or endurance. Triathletes are pretty well rounded, and they are endurance atheletes. Cross-country skiiers are a pretty healthy and well rounded bunch also. I think its good to stay well rounded, but if you go too moderate life gets kind of boring.

I never really understood the need for bench pressing.
Alot of weight lifting I see the utility, but I think bench pressing is way overdone.

T-Dubs
06-03-2009, 10:15

There's a new book out on how cooking/fire shaped us as humans. Ever since our beginnings, we've used fire to our advantage. Cooking made the nutrients in meat more accessible, allowing energy for other adaptions. This book was recently reviewed in our local paper. I have yet to read this book but it looks interesting--(amazon description)

Ever since Darwin and The Descent of Man, the existence of humans has been attributed to our intelligence and adaptability. But in Catching Fire, renowned primatologist Richard Wrangham presents a startling alternative: our evolutionary success is the result of cooking. In a groundbreaking theory of our origins, Wrangham shows that the shift from raw to cooked foods was the key factor in human evolution. When our ancestors adapted to using fire, humanity began. Once our hominid ancestors began cooking their food, the human digestive tract shrank and the brain grew.I hope the Vegan/Vegetarian hikers do well on their journeys. It will be a challenge but a decent diet should be a priority; at least in my mind it is.
I'm trying to eat as close to zero carbs as possible, so my next (short) hike won't include vegetarian foods but, rather, pemmican and other high saturated fat sources for energy. The post above that mentioned the typical diet being 'crap' seems to be right on target and I'd like to avoid that situation.

TW

dradius
06-03-2009, 11:40
I don't think there is any doubt that fire helped man evolve and that at one time eating meat was necessary. However, I don't think that is the case for us present day humans. Our average digestive tract is 30 feet long. Also, cooking most plants diminishes its nutrient content.
In part, what has convinced me that I don't need to eat meat is:
I have no desire/instinct to hunt down game and eat it.
Slaughterhouses/blood/animals being killed does not trigger any sort of positive natural reaction from me.
I never see a dead animal on the side of the road and have an urge to eat it.
Unlike every other carnivore on the planet, I get sick if I eat raw meat.
I think if I were meant to eat animals, I would get hungry every now and then when I saw a chicken or cow in a field. To each his own, but this is my perspective.

JAK
06-03-2009, 12:26
To each his own I agree. I'm yer basic lacto-ovarian vegetarian 6 days a week roughly,
but I'm a total snarl neanderthal on the 7th. I prefer wild fish and game, but don't get much opportunity. I like our beef here because it comes from small farms where they roam around and not big factory operations, but chickens and pigs and salmon here do tend to be raised that way, so I try and avoid them. Some local farmers markets have some free range stuff, and there's a local guy that raises really good lamb.

I think we are well adapted for a variety of food and diets. Ethically, there are better and worse choices of all types. The main thing I avoid is overprocessing and overpackaging. I prefer raw local food with one ingredient. Milk, meat, oats, lentils, blueberries, fiddleheads. If I want to process it in some way I will bake my own scones or make my own soup or sauce, and avoid all the chemicals and plastics and stuff.

There are some exceptions, like a local baker, or local cheese maker, or small owner operated restaraunt, something like that. The main thing is to be aware of where your food is coming from and all the processed it has gone through. The more natural it is the better. Some modern chickens and pigs and cows and salmon are not natural enough as far as I am concerned, but some still are. Same with other foods, like flour and bread. Most is bad, but some is ok, but best if you make it the old fashioned way from old fashioned ingredients. S'mores is not an ingredient. I don't like modern engineered food. I like natural food.

dradius
06-03-2009, 12:41
Good post Jak. I laughed at the "S'mores is not an ingredient." I need to do better about eating local and unprocessed foods.

JAK
06-03-2009, 12:56
I think its good when people choose to be selective in what they eat. I think there are many good ways to be selective. Mine is mostly about avoiding overprocessing, not so much about meat vs vegetarian. But I think there are several benefits to being selective, in and of itself. It must have to do with simplification. One way or another, keep it simple. Keep it balanced and keep it healthy, but also keep it simple, one way or another. Doesn't matter that much which one. Rather like religion in that way. Do what you feel is right for you.

JAK
06-03-2009, 13:06
I think we are compelled to be selective because too many choices give us anxiety,
perhaps because it makes it more complicated to find a healthy and ethical balance.

I try and simplify my clothing in much the same way. Harder to get rid of the junk clothes though. With junk food laying around the house you can just go on a binge and eat it all up. Not so easy with junk clothes, or junk dishes, or junk books, or junk furniture and other stuff. Sometimes you just gotta do what you can do. I wish living simple wasn't so damned complicated. lol

T-Dubs
06-03-2009, 13:19
Also, cooking most plants diminishes its nutrient content.

I never see a dead animal on the side of the road and have an urge to eat it.

Unlike every other carnivore on the planet, I get sick if I eat raw meat.

I think if I were meant to eat animals, I would get hungry every now and then when I saw a chicken or cow in a field.

I see your point on most of this and I'm not a real fan of roadkill either.:)

There are those who eat raw meat/fish from reputable sources for health reasons. I'm sure your reaction is more along the norm. Again, it was cooking that allowed us to use nutrient-dense protein sources more efficiently.

I don't get hungry, either, when I see animal in the field. I also never eat unless I'm hungry enough to eat a steak or some other fat/protein source (1-2 meals a day; 2,200+ cals mostly fat). As to cooking diminishing the nutrient value of plants--I don't eat them, so that's a non-issue for me.

I think it's really interesting how different we are when approaching our diets. As a former veggie, it has been a long, strange road to my present status. It has been a result, partly, of the faulty science and corporate influence of our collective health that has me where I am today. That and an interest in our evolutionary past. Then I got to thinking about the not-to-distant past and how far off base our current notions of nutrition have gone...again for the profit of someone, at the expense of our health.

I'm still hoping the vegan hikers finish and take the time to report back here on the effects of exercise and food choice on their well-being. It will be interesting to see how/where they get the calories to get it done.

TW

It's all his fault:
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html

dradius
06-03-2009, 15:26
I wish living simple wasn't so damned complicated.

I'm gonna steal that one from you. I like it, and it is very true.

TW, We obviously have different beliefs but I respect what you are saying and understand it. I read a little of that NY Times article but must admit I didn't finish it.

Surplusman
06-19-2009, 08:10
I'm not a vegan, and I never will be, but for a while here at home I was almost living exclusively on good old Appalachian Trail Mix. I didn't seen to have any ill effects from it, and I didn't seem to be all that hungry all the time. Of course, I wasn't hiking. Ed Garvey's books cover AT Mix. Basically, it's 2 parts brown rice, to 1 part barley and 1 part lentils. 1 cup of mix to 2 cups water. Bring to a boil and then simmer until done. For on the trail, put the mix and hot water in a container in the am. By suppertime, only a little cooking is left to go.

LaurieAnn
06-19-2009, 11:51
I'm not for sure on that, but...being a vegetarian (which I realize is not the same as a vegan), I thought I'd throw in my 2-cents. The only thing I could say as being a big issue, is that a lot of your refuel stops are going to be in small towns that may not have groceries to accomodate vegans/vegetarians.

I think if I were a vegan, I'd think about mail-drops. You could do it though! Don't get discouraged!

I have to agree about the mail drops. I've just been writing about this very thing for my second book. It's been quite an eye opener seeing how many small communites are really geared to the meatatarian diet.

The nice thing about mail drops coupled with food dehydration is that you can really customize your menu to suit. Right now I am helping a friend with a vegan and gluten-free menu. It can be challenging but it's doable with some planning.

ZeroC
06-27-2009, 08:18
Of course, i didn't think of it until right now. Most hikers would be excluded from being a full on vegan since they're most likely using a down sleeping bag.

World-Wide
06-27-2009, 12:49
I'm a meat-eater from the Midwest, so any vegan opinion I may present would be flawed at best! Was able to find you the musical poet/vegan activist, Leibya Rogers who states her point of view in melody. Enjoy!

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/287a53d644/leibya-spells-freedom-by-leibya-rogers-from-mindyraf

World-Wide
06-27-2009, 13:20
Okay, my last post probably seemed insincere to the vegan movement! I have many friends who are vegan's and I always wanted to be one! Being raised in Chicago it just seemed the inner-city vegan kids were just too tough a crowd to hang-out with! My mom would never allow it! A missed opportunity for sure!!! W-W

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/831c3c3fd8/so-so-vegan

samwise
06-30-2009, 09:39
Of course, i didn't think of it until right now. Most hikers would be excluded from being a full on vegan since they're most likely using a down sleeping bag.

I'm vegan, I'm currently thru-hiking, and my sleeping bag is synthetic. There ya go.

I've been thinking of writing about thru-hiking while vegan when I finish! I buy most of my food along the way, with a handful of maildrops. Being vegan on the trail isn't that hard! It just takes some forethought and a willingness to eat a lot of the same things every day. But then again, everyone on the trail is sick of their food.

See ya on the trail,
Samwise

GA > ME '09

samwise
06-30-2009, 10:01
All I have to say is that I'm vegan. I'm currently thru-hiking (past half-way). I'm just as healthy as everyone else on the trail. Period.

I think that about discredits most of the ignorant posts in this thread.

If you are vegan and looking for some help with your hike, message me!
Samwise

I'm vtandback, I just created a new account with my trail name. I made vtandback before I started my hike this year.

TD55
06-30-2009, 11:11
If peanutbutter, oatmeal and raman are vegan, I think I have been vegan lots of times for maybe a week or so. I have never gotten tired of peanutbutter. I love that stuff and can mix it with anything. It's even good in coffee.