PDA

View Full Version : New Guy, Old questions

RITBlake
04-01-2004, 04:22
Hey guys,

I'll make this short:
college student graduating spring 2005 (Mid May).

Is it feasable to start June 1st in GA and make it to ME in time?
I would prefer to take a northbound route, but I am a first time long distance hiker and if I got close to Maine and had to get turned away that would be bad.

Opinons?

Ramble~On
04-01-2004, 04:40
No Problem making it...."In Time"

You will miss some things though.
By leaving in June you will be behind the vast majority of thru-hikers that year.
You will probably get the feeling of having to "hurry" and put in big days.
You will be hiking in the heat and humidity from the get go.
:sun........

But...you should be able to miss the crowded shelters and getting to a hostel to find it full :banana
Leaving in June gives you plenty of time....you've got four plus months.
I started March 24 1996 and I got passed by a lot of people that started way after I did.
For more info than that you'll have to hear from people that started in June.
Good Luck...Happy Trails

Jaybird
04-01-2004, 06:38
Hey guys,

I'll make this short:
college student graduating spring 2005 (Mid May).
Is it feasable to start June 1st in GA and make it to ME in time?
I would prefer to take a northbound route, but I am a first time long distance hiker and if I got close to Maine and had to get turned away that would be bad. Opinons?

RITBlake

4 months would be plenty of time to complete the hike....like SpiritWind
said...you might feel a bit rushed...maybe you (being in the North East already) do a "flip-flop"....start @ Katahdin....hike to the the state line....then catch a ride to SPringer Mtn, Georgia...it's ALL GOOD! :D

hungryhowie
04-01-2004, 10:09
The traditional closing date for Katahdin is October 15. It can close earlier than this, but is typically open to some extent to at least the beginning of October. Beginning June 1 at Springer would mean that you would need to do the trail in 4 months (4.5 months at the absolute longest) in order to be assured of climbing Katahdin. A 4 month pace equates to 17.7 mile/day average. Hikers who set out to thruhike the entire AT often complete it in about 6 months, or at a pace of just over 12 miles/day.

That said, many hikers have completed the trail in less time than 6 months, that is just the traditional average. I completed the trail in 5 months and 3 weeks, but took more than 35 zero days (meaning that I didn't hike at all on those days). Without those zero days, my hiking average was somewhere around 18mpd, what you'd need to accomlish. While I took some of those days to rest and recooperate, the majority were due to laziness (ahhhh...the life) and to stay with a group of hiking friends.

Keeping your inteded pace, you could still manage a few zero days. If you wanted to take one zero day/week, for example, you'd have to average 20.75 miles/day on the other days. If you only wanted to take one zero day every two weeks, however, you'd have to average 19 miles/day on the others.

Only you know if you can handle a pace like this. If you decide that you can't for whatever reason, then you have other options. Option one is to begin in Maine. Hiking southbound will allow you plenty of time to finish. Another option is to flip-flop, meaning, begin On June 1, at Springer like you've planned. Only, hop up to Maine when you reach a specified time (September 1 at the latest, probably) and hike south to where you made it. On a traditional six month pace, you would probably make it to Harpers Ferry by September 1, and could reach it southbound again by December 1.

I'm not trying to talk you out of your plan. I encourage to to try it if you decide that is what you want to do. I'm only mentioning the alternatives so you know they exist.

Now, how best to go about acheiving your goals?

Before you even graduate and get to the trail, I'd do a couple of things. 1- get in shape if you're not already. Most schools have exercise facilities, use the stair stepper and bike machines liberally. The more muscle building and joint strengthening you can do before the trail, the less break-in you'll need on the trail.

2- read up on, and invest in lightweight hiking equipment. June in the South will be a perfect time to get experience with Ultralight techniques. If chosen carefully, you could easily get your base weight (meaning all your gear without food or water) down to 10 pounds (or less!). Carrying less weight will enable you to move further in one day with the same or less effort.

When you actually get to the trail, the first thing to do is to take it easy on yourself. Don't plan on doing more than 10-15 miles /day for the first week. The worst thing you can do is injure yourself and have to take time off to heal. Don't worry if you don't do a 20 mile/day in the first 2-3 weeks. You can make up those miles in your average later. After the first couple of weeks, however, if you feel like you can, it's a good idea to begin slowly cranking up the miles. Be careful and don't overdo it, but upon reaching VA, you should be doing consecutive 20 mile days fairly often.

It's also important to note that the trail gets noticably more difficult in NH and in Maine, so take this into account when figuring out your mileage.

-Howie

RITBlake
04-01-2004, 12:20
great advice guys, I really appreciate it. I checked my school calender, apparerntly finals end in the second week of may, so Maybe I could get an ever earlier jump

snuggums
04-01-2004, 15:24
Why not go southbound?

Singletrack
04-01-2004, 16:44
I hiked from Harpers Ferry to Springer Mt. leaving HF in late July. There was no one on the Trail. I spent nearly every night by myself. With a June 1 start at Springer, you might experience the same. If you do not like being alone, you might want to consider a SOBO or a Flip Flop.

TJ aka Teej
04-01-2004, 16:51
The traditional closing date for Katahdin is October 15.

Overnight camping ends October 15th (whatever day of the week it falls on) every year, so nobos can't stay at the Birches after this date.
If the weather stays good, you can climb Katahdin as a day hike until November.
The trails up Katahdin can be closed at any time before then, with snow and ice closing the Mountain several times in early Octobers of recent years.
Of note - when trails on Katahdin are closed, they are closed at the trailhead now, not at treeline as in earlier years.
I advise hikers to plan on getting to Baxter by October 1st.
Here's what Katahdin was like the first weekend of Oct '03;

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2545

and pic of a snowy cloudy Katahdin that Friday morning;

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1707&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

RITBlake
04-01-2004, 23:08
Why not go southbound?
ya know, there is a certain appeal to me about hiking some sections solo, but for the most part I would prefer to have a partner. And since none of my friends (even my hiking partner) arn't nuts enough to go, I t hought I wuold have a more enjoyable experience going northbound. From what I've read, doing the southbound route can be a bit lonesome? Also, The idea of attacking the big K in Maine is really appealing to me. I would really prefer not to leapfrog, but I may have to. Right now my strongest options seems to be a SOBO route

hungryhowie
04-01-2004, 23:28
I don't think you'll find much in the way of a hiking partner at such a late date and such a quick pace. Though there very well may be others planning to do exactly like you, I wouldn't count on it. You'd probably have more company if you went southbound. That said, you'll meet weekenders and section hikers all summer long. Just don't expect to see them two days in a row when you're averaging ~20mpd.

Something to think about.

-Howie

RITBlake
04-02-2004, 00:14
you guys that have done the SOBO route....do you find it THAT much harder. The AMC website makes it sound like its near impossible. Will summiting springer to end be less dramatic or will I be too tired to care.

Singletrack
04-02-2004, 08:40
I flipped flopped (HF-Big K) (HF-Springer) Finishing at Springer was great. I would think finishing anywhere would be great. Consider going to HF in June and hikng North with the NOBOs, flipping back to HF about September, and hiking South with the SOBOs.

Peaks
04-10-2004, 20:31
I flipped flopped (HF-Big K) (HF-Springer) Finishing at Springer was great. I would think finishing anywhere would be great. Consider going to HF in June and hikng North with the NOBOs, flipping back to HF about September, and hiking South with the SOBOs.

Good answer. You will do the northern half in good weather, be in New England after black fly season, and not have the pressure of getting to Katahdin before it closes.

A 4 month thru-hike is pushing it for most people. I think that you would miss much of the experience if you had to do 18 miles day in and day out. Most people take between 5 and 6 months, and until you know your abilities and desires better, I'd plan on 5 to 6 months.

Pencil Pusher
07-22-2004, 03:06
With that late start, how about the PCT instead? Chris started May 9th. I suck at planning so while I'd like to do the AT next year, the PCT is closer to home. Come February I'll freak out and make up my mind on which one. I'm one of the freaks of nature that actually enjoys the hot and humid weather, so no freeze-my-tush-off start in March for me either, if I went the AT route.