PDA

View Full Version : Decided..Camera for the AT 2009 NoBo...Canon XSi

SurferNerd
11-16-2008, 22:12
So I've decided my camera for my journey of a lifetime. I gave in, I caved, and I chose the best camera I've ever worked with. The 12MP Canon XSi DSLR. So yep it weighs a lot, like 1.5lbs with the 22-55 lens. I figured it like this, I put all my energy and time into cutting corners on weight, so I came to realize that you can't put a weight on high quality memories for life. So I went out and bought a good kit, Canon XSi, 3 8GB SDHC cards, 22-55mm lens, 55-225mm lens, UV lens, Polarizer lens, 2 Batteries, and a case. So here's a few questions for the masses..I don't care about the weight on my camera gear, but what lenses do you recommend, are my two choices enough or is there a better replacement? Is two batteries enough, 500 half flash shots per battery? 3 8GB cards at 1400pics per card, enough? How about a case? I got a bigger one, but I worry for its protection. I need help on keeping it waterproof and condensation free. Again, in this category I wont cut corners, this is memories I can't replace or want cheap quality...

Egads
11-16-2008, 22:15
Maybe you should consider a small point & shoot pocket camera too for those unexpected bear sightings:-?

Lyle
11-16-2008, 23:29
I'm not really familiar with Canon's lenses, so can't offer an opinion, other than the range sounds pretty good. If I carried a dSLR it would be a Nikon, and the lens I would want would be the 18-200, but it is a DX format.

Does this camera you chose have a full size CCD? If so those lenses should give you a good range. I used to carry a 35-105 in a 35mm. for backpacking and I sometimes wished I had a wider lens. Your 22 should be good if it's full size.

I also recently purchased a Lowepro top loading holster for my dSLR. Can clip it to the shoulder straps with small carabiners to keep the cameral nice and handy on your chest. Haven't used this set-up yet for backpacking, but think it will work well. It was recommended by others here on WB.

I can understand your feelings about wanting a great camera. If I were doing a thru, I would be real tempted to carry one myself. You will get in good enough shape that the extra pound or two or three will not be that noticable if you keep everything else light. Gotta have the toys that matter.

Good luck, and I'll be looking forward to some great shots next year.

SurferNerd
11-16-2008, 23:45
I'm not really familiar with Canon's lenses, so can't offer an opinion, other than the range sounds pretty good. If I carried a dSLR it would be a Nikon, and the lens I would want would be the 18-200, but it is a DX format.

Does this camera you chose have a full size CCD? If so those lenses should give you a good range. I used to carry a 35-105 in a 35mm. for backpacking and I sometimes wished I had a wider lens. Your 22 should be good if it's full size.

I also recently purchased a Lowepro top loading holster for my dSLR. Can clip it to the shoulder straps with small carabiners to keep the cameral nice and handy on your chest. Haven't used this set-up yet for backpacking, but think it will work well. It was recommended by others here on WB.

I can understand your feelings about wanting a great camera. If I were doing a thru, I would be real tempted to carry one myself. You will get in good enough shape that the extra pound or two or three will not be that noticable if you keep everything else light. Gotta have the toys that matter.

Good luck, and I'll be looking forward to some great shots next year.

The CCD is full size, the 22 truly does an amazing wide shot. I'm very happy with the lenses, and I truly doubt I'd need anything else. I bought the auto stabilize lenses too, great feature but its eats battery. I looked into Nikon camera's, but I like the Canon brand, I've been using Exilms for years. The 18-200 does exist for Canon, but not remotely worth the cost of just carrying two lenses. I'll definitely look into that holdster, I got thinking about a tripod. I won't need one, but I'm considering that one at Walmart with the arms you can wrap around a tree limb..good make for good portrait shots. And thanks for agreeing, the weight is worth it!

DuctTape
11-17-2008, 00:18
Sounds like the memory, batteries, etc ought to be pleny. Congrats on having the cohones to haul the extra weight - it will be worth it. Lyle's lowepro/carabiner setup is an excellent suggestion - you need to keep the camera easily accessible while you hike, or all is lost. The Walmart tripod thing sounds like an item you'd be sending home from Neel's Gap. If you're hiking with poles or a stick, those will make good makeshift tripods, as do the rocks and trees and other stuff out there.

weary
11-17-2008, 01:37
Maybe you should consider a small point & shoot pocket camera too for those unexpected bear sightings:-?
Everyone should keep a light weight p&s camera in the vest pocket of a pocket tee shirt, regardless of what sophisticated camera's one may carry elsewhere.

I personally, compromise on a 14 ounce Lumix. Light enough for packing. Heavy enough for reasonable quality.

Weary

bigcranky
11-17-2008, 08:34
You can probably do it with two batteries if you don't spend much time checking your beautiful work on the LCD screen. (Pros call this "chimping (http://www.sportsshooter.com/special_feature/chimping/index.html).") Carry the little charger and top up both batteries in town.

If you want to carry it over your shoulder, get an Upstrap (http://www.upstrap-pro.com/) -- this is a shoulder strap that really keeps the camera in place. The RF/DC model is plenty. I use these at work and they are terrific. When carrying any large camera over your shoulder, turn the camera backwards -- so the top of the camera faces your body -- and the weight of the lens will position the rig closer to your body and thus more protected. (This only works if the lens is long enough to hang straight down when positioned this way.)

If you want it more protected, then one of the camera/lens cases that can clip to a belt would work. The digital holsters from Think Tank Photo (http://thinktankphoto.com/ttp_products.html) are pretty cool. The Lowe Pro holsters are good, too.

The Xsi is a nice little camera, and you'll get plenty of good photos with it. Just be aware that it needs some babying and protection against dust, moisture, and impact, and you'll be fine.

Spogatz
11-17-2008, 11:28
The XSi is a very nice camera. I shoot Canon SLR's myself but I would not take one on a long hike. It would not be the right camera for the environment you will be in.

You would have to keep it weather sealed most of the time and that is a lot of money to loose when it gets wet.

volleypc
11-17-2008, 17:12
A couple of suggestions... In addition to your current filters, spend money on a few cokin filters. They are cheap, the quality is ok, you just need to make sure you keep them away from grit so they do not get scratched. You will need a ND graduated filter for sunrise/sunsets. I would also buy a couple of the sunset and warming filters. One last suggestion, make sure you have a good poloarizer. This will be your main filter and there are worlds of different in the quality. Do they make a solar charger for the camera battery? I am pretty sure they do. Cold weather will drain your batteries.

SurferNerd
11-17-2008, 23:35
A couple of suggestions... In addition to your current filters, spend money on a few cokin filters. They are cheap, the quality is ok, you just need to make sure you keep them away from grit so they do not get scratched. You will need a ND graduated filter for sunrise/sunsets. I would also buy a couple of the sunset and warming filters. One last suggestion, make sure you have a good poloarizer. This will be your main filter and there are worlds of different in the quality. Do they make a solar charger for the camera battery? I am pretty sure they do. Cold weather will drain your batteries.

My polarizer is fantastic, love the lens, use it daily. I don't think a solar charger exists, but the wall charger goes from zero to full in less than 2hrs. I'll look into the other filters, especially the sunrise/sunset ones, thanks.

CrashnburnBiker
11-18-2008, 00:07
The camera you bought does not have an FX sensor - the 5D is currently the only full frame camera in Canon's line up.

I've been shooting semi-professionally for several years on a Nikon system (just upgraded to a D700, and if you can afford it, DO IT!) and I would never dream of thru-hiking with any of my equipment. It's too much weight and even my older cameras and lenses are too valuable to risk soaking or being stolen. I bought a $130 point-and-shoot to accompany me on my hike next year, it's cheap, so I won't worry if it breaks, and I won't notice the weight.

It's not the camera that makes the photographer - it's the photographer! You can make the same prints with a decent point-and-shoot that you can with the rig you just bought. You don't need more than 6MP to produce a solid 12 x 18 print - 12MP is absolute excess. Keep your camera, learn how to use it, enjoy it, but hike with something smaller. From someone who's hauled a lot of camera gear - you'll get tired of it quick.

CrashnburnBiker
11-18-2008, 00:15
Sorry, I didn't answer any of your questions.

Waterproofing a full system is nearly impossible - I have a bag with a drawstring that attaches to a UV filter that works great while you're shooting, but as for batteries and extra lenses, good luck.

You won't get the manufacturer quoted shots per battery if you use the LCD, autofocus, or image stabilization. My advice is to buy a low-light lens (1.8 or wider) to avoid using flash and IS in most situations.

Out of curiosity, how are you planning to carry your case full of gear?

Lyle
11-18-2008, 01:03
The camera you bought does not have an FX sensor - the 5D is currently the only full frame camera in Canon's line up.

I've been shooting semi-professionally for several years on a Nikon system (just upgraded to a D700, and if you can afford it, DO IT!) and I would never dream of thru-hiking with any of my equipment. It's too much weight and even my older cameras and lenses are too valuable to risk soaking or being stolen. I bought a $130 point-and-shoot to accompany me on my hike next year, it's cheap, so I won't worry if it breaks, and I won't notice the weight.

It's not the camera that makes the photographer - it's the photographer! You can make the same prints with a decent point-and-shoot that you can with the rig you just bought. You don't need more than 6MP to produce a solid 12 x 18 print - 12MP is absolute excess. Keep your camera, learn how to use it, enjoy it, but hike with something smaller. From someone who's hauled a lot of camera gear - you'll get tired of it quick.

Folks backpacked for many years with SLR cameras, myself included, none of them waterproof or dustproof. It can be done, done successfully, and with excellent results.

Even professional photographers will not get the same results with a compact point and shoot as they would with a SLR. This difference also holds true for an advanced amature. I'm not saying that very good shots aren't possible with a point and shoot, but that better results and flexibility are possible with better equipment. That's why SLRs are still being produced and sold. On the journey of your life, why shouldn't you take the best possible equipment, if that is what you choose to do, and what is important?

Don't be discouraged - you can always switch out to a point and shoot if you change your mind. What is the point of buying a good kit if you plan to leave it home when you go on an extraordinary journey?

CrashnburnBiker
11-18-2008, 18:20
Lyle-

I'm most concerned with the bulkiness of my equipment, theft and water damage.

How did you carry your equipment when you hiked? I would only bring one lens and a cheap body if I was going to hike with my gear. I wouldn't bring a new system on the trail with me for an extended period of time.

I'd like to have one of my SLRs along with me on the trail, but even with my love of photographer, it just doesn't seem worth the added worry when a good point and shoot can make similar pictures. The only drawback of having a simpler camera is the lack of extremely wide and long lenses, niether of which I would bring due to the lack of need and their value.

SurferNerd
11-25-2008, 19:08
So I went and purchased the Lowepro TLZ1 case, and using jump cord to string it to my shoulder buckles. I'm rethinking bringing just the 25-55mm lens. I doubt anything needing the bigger zoom. I also bought a waterproofing system for the camera at Wolf. It keeps everything in a dewproof, waterproof bags.

rafe
11-25-2008, 21:23
Folks backpacked for many years with SLR cameras, myself included, none of them waterproof or dustproof. It can be done, done successfully, and with excellent results.

Yep, a lot of us did that, for a long time.

Even professional photographers will not get the same results with a compact point and shoot as they would with a SLR. This difference also holds true for an advanced amature. I'm not saying that very good shots aren't possible with a point and shoot, but that better results and flexibility are possible with better equipment. ...Thru-hiking requires a certain dedication to miles that precludes (IMO) really top-notch photography. By that I mean: a section hiker or day hiker has far more photographic freedom than a thru-hiker, who can't generally linger at a given spot waiting for the right light. Really big cameras have been deployed on the AT by masters like David Muench (http://www.amazon.com/Uncommon-Places-Celebration-Appalachian-Official/dp/0917953401) and Jerry Greer (http://www.jerrygreerphotography.com/Portfolio%20Pages.htm). Check it out some time...

I don't deny that a large-sensor SLR camera will bring better results (technically) but for most thru-hikers, IMO, a compact, light P&S is a better choice. Better yet if it lives outside the pack, ready at a moment's notice. A camera is less useful if it has to be dug out of the pack first.

Bare Bear
11-25-2008, 21:34
I'm glad you are carrying that weight and bulk. I have found a small but good quality camera works well and usually look to Consumer Reports for advice on the best for current size, weight, quality, and water resistance. Definitely AA Lithium batteries.

buz
11-30-2008, 18:38
AA lithium, no others. They get unreal life, and Imo, pack two spares, they are light, and you never know when the first set will run out.