PDA

View Full Version : Lowe Alpine Adjustment Question-Contour IV

waldick
11-16-2008, 23:29
I bought a used LA Contour IV and am trying to figure out how to properly adjust the should strap attachment. This particular version does not have the color coded lines, rather all the lines are white. So i'm not sure exactly how to properly set the pack up. I searched this site, but either didn't use the right search terms or no information is available....

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

BTW my torso length is 21.5.....

Toolshed
11-16-2008, 23:56
I bought a used LA Contour IV and am trying to figure out how to properly adjust the should strap attachment. This particular version does not have the color coded lines, rather all the lines are white. So i'm not sure exactly how to properly set the pack up. I searched this site, but either didn't use the right search terms or no information is available....

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

BTW my torso length is 21.5.....

OK, Sounds like you have a pack that is around 10 years old.
When you say white lines, you mean each of the adjustment sleeves or sections where the harness slides into on the back of the back (the part that sits against your back).

So I have a 19" inch torso and just checked my old C-IV. I am 3rd from the top. you can get much more technical though - This is how we used to measure folks.
1. find your iliac crest between your shoulder blades, it is the bump in your back when you lean your head forward (google it further if you are unsure)
2 Measure from here down to a spot on your back level with your hipbones
3. This measurement - within an inch or so, should be what your torso is.
4. Now to get the pack to fit, find a spot on the backpack that is midway between the top and bottom of the hip-belt. From here measure up your torso length (21.5 in your case) and then the white line (or sleeve) closest to it is where the harness slides into and then down to the bottom where it is buckled.
This is the major adjustment you may have to fine tune it one sleeve up or down to get it just right.

waldick
11-17-2008, 00:19
Thank you....

Yep the the white lines on the sleeve is what i was referring to. I had measured my back just before my first hike about 6 weeks ago. I borrowed a LA pack from a friend of mine and really liked it, so i bought a similar one.

My first hike was a 45 miler 3.5 day hike from Rockfisch Gap north and it got me hooked :)

thanks again,