PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP - Can anybody comment on these trails

mts4602
11-17-2008, 14:15
I'm thinking about doing a hike from Newfound Gap and staying the first night at Kephart shelter via the AT and Sweat Heifer Creek trails. The next day taking Grassy branch, sluice gap, and Hughes ridge trails to Pecks Corner. Then the last day back to my car on the AT.

I know the AT is awesome through the part, but what about these other trails?

MTS

The Solemates
11-17-2008, 15:16
I'm thinking about doing a hike from Newfound Gap and staying the first night at Kephart shelter via the AT and Sweat Heifer Creek trails. The next day taking Grassy branch, sluice gap, and Hughes ridge trails to Pecks Corner. Then the last day back to my car on the AT.

MTS

they are awesome as well. ive done this exact same loop

Rcarver
11-17-2008, 15:18
Great Loop.

HikerRanky
11-17-2008, 15:22
The Sweat Heifer Trail is a fun trail... At 3.7 miles, with 2,300' of elevation change, it is classified as a strenous trail. Of course, you'll be going downhill, so that's good in a way.

There are 2 waterfalls on the trail, so be on the lookout for ice.

Haven't done the other trails.....

Hope this helps.

Randy

mts4602
11-17-2008, 15:31
Thanks a lot. Sounds good to me.

Egads
11-17-2008, 20:22
Watch out for the hogs on Hughes Ridge Trail

sliderule
11-17-2008, 23:21
The next day taking Grassy branch, sluice gap, and Hughes ridge trails to Pecks Corner.

You're missing a link. The Dry Sluice Gap Trail doesn't connect with the Hughs Ridge Trail.

HikerRanky
11-17-2008, 23:40
You're missing a link. The Dry Sluice Gap Trail doesn't connect with the Hughs Ridge Trail.

True... It looks like you need to get on Bradley Fork Trail for a bit.....

SurferNerd
11-17-2008, 23:42

MTS

When you thinking of doing this hike? I've been looking for a good excuse to get out and cold weather hike for a while?

The Solemates
11-18-2008, 10:12
Watch out for the hogs on Hughes Ridge Trail

i saw a black bear on grassy branch in july

mts4602
11-18-2008, 11:25
When you thinking of doing this hike? I've been looking for a good excuse to get out and cold weather hike for a while?

Thanksgiving weekend. Fri-sun. We really want to do newfound gap to davenport gap. But Icewater is already filled up and we have a 5 hr drive to get to GSMNP so we can't hike far the 1st day. I was thinking of going to kephart shelter 1st then tricorner, then out...but that's 2 16 mile days:-?

sliderule
11-20-2008, 11:48
I was thinking of going to kephart shelter 1st then tricorner...

Don't even think about it. Especially with only 10 hours of daylight.

mts4602
11-21-2008, 11:27
Don't even think about it. Especially with only 10 hours of daylight.

Yeah we're not.

We decided we're doing Big Creek to #37. Then to Tricorner. Then out.

Although it's 16 miles from tricorner to big creek ranger station, I'm not really concerned. It's mostly down hill. We've done 12 miles before in the smokies and that was leaving around noon. Leaving at sunrise shouldn't be a problem.