PDA

View Full Version : Dade slack help

ole slo
11-17-2008, 16:34
I started what I thought would be a thru of the FNST-FT and I assumed info I read in old journals would be accurate. Yah, I know what assume means. In JoJo Smiley's journal she talks about the Everglades International Hostel slack packing her group several times to get through Dade County. They no longer provide that service which is not a problem but an inconvenience. I was hoping to leave my food bag at the ranger station to pick up after the swamp walk.

I may not do that at this time however. I spoke to a guide here at the hostel and he said the water was likely to be waist deep. I know Nimblewill did it in similar or worse conditions but I will wait until it dries out a little or I have a companion. I don't like the no room for error idea of going solo.

Anybody willing to do it this weekend?

Hammock Hanger
11-17-2008, 18:08
Did yo hike up from Key West or are you just starting out?? The swamp can be a strange place when it is deep and you are solo. I did it thigh deep with a group and tramping though all that mud and water can be tiring.

Good luck with your hike.

Sue/Hammock Hanger

ShortCut!
11-18-2008, 00:05
I am in Miami-Dade County but won't be in town this weekend or next. If you go later and need support, let me know.

jnetx
11-18-2008, 13:11
Are you talking about the Loop Rd to Oasis section, or the entire Big Cypress?

I can understand the issue of not wanting to hike this section alone with the deep water. I've hiked it several times and it's always at least slimy and muddy, and at worst deep water. However, The Loop Road to Oasis section is only a one day hike for most people, the remainder of the hike up to I75 would take more than just the weekend, and is the only part of the FL Trail which I would consider not able to be day hiked (or slacked). I may be wrong on that, it's possible there is a way in to the swamp on a dirt road via 4x4 or ATV that could possibly allow slackpacking.

Which part is it you want a partner for?

The issue of hoping to leave your food bag at the ranger station is also confusing. Carrying or not carrying your food bag for the day up to Oasis doesn't seem like it would make a massive difference to the hike seeing as you are going to have to carry the same food bag, albeit with one day less food, through the next Big Cypress section of 30ish miles which is just as muddy and nasty.

These are not just antagonistic questions. I have actually slackpacked the entire contiguous FL trail, with the exception of Big Cypress, which was the only place I could not get a vehicle into. It was the only place we had to backpack. I'd be happy to help with directions to get into the trail anywhere else.

What exactly is it you want help with?

ole slo
11-19-2008, 08:49
H.H.: I started at KW on 11-7 and took a forced zero day in Marathon because I forgot my poles at my son's house and had to wait for the mail. From mm106 I took a bus to the Everglades Hostel in Florida City. Yesterday I slack packed by bus back to 106 and walked the 21 miles back to the hostel. Zero today and tomorrow I'll start heading up Krome Ave. and then West on
41 toward Big Cypress.

I don't know how to hyperlink, but my journal is at:

trailjournals.com/oleslo/

Shortcut: Thanks

intex: I am looking for a partner throught the first section, Loop Rd. to Oasis. That is said to have the deepest water. The food bag is not a big issue. Others have left theirs at Oasis and it makes the trek through the first section a little easier.

BumpJumper
11-19-2008, 10:49
Slo,
I am going to keep a look out on your journal. That should be interesting.