PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent for 2 - don't have trekking poles

cr113
11-17-2008, 19:16
I'm thinking about getting a tarptent and I'm trying to decide which is the best model for me.

- I don't carry trekking poles.

- Needs to fit 2 people and maybe my dog. My wife and I are average sized.

- I'm looking for roominess and ease of entrance.

From my web research I've narrowed it down to the Cloudburst 2, Rainshadow 2, Double Rainbow and Lunar Duo. The Cloudburst 2 seems best to me because of the steepness of the walls.

g8trh8tr
11-17-2008, 19:53
I have the Cloudburst 2 and the Lunar Duo. I like the design better of the Lunar Duo but the construction of the Cloudburst 2 is imo far superior. If I had to make the decision again knowing what I know now I would choose the Cloudburst 2 hands down.

humunuku
11-17-2008, 20:20
I have a double rainbow, and it is great. I'm 6'3 and I fit fine with another person. But another person AND a dog..no way. Super easy to get in since it open on both sides, great tent, tons of options on set up with treking poles, still a great tent with options without poles. I've not used the other tents,

bigcranky
11-17-2008, 20:25
I have owned a Rainshadow, and now own a Double Rainbow. I have slept in a Cloudburst and a Squall. The Rainshadow provides the most interior space -- the thing is HUGE -- but it really needs a trekking pole for support. That's a lot of silnylon in high winds. The Cloudburst was nice, but I like the DR better -- two doors, more ventilation, etc. So for pure space, the Rainshadow, and carry a pole. If you really don't want the pole, the DR.

Alligator
11-17-2008, 20:31
I'm not sure about all the ins and outs on all the models you mentioned but you might also consider a Black Diamond Mega Light. It's roomy, easy to get into, and comes with one pole.

Blissful
11-17-2008, 20:31
Also, Henry will send you a pole for a few bucks. I got one for my squall so I wouldnt have to adjust the poles all the time. Worked fine for me.

Tagless
11-17-2008, 21:32
I'm looking for roominess and ease of entrance.

Based on this criteria, a logical choice is the Rainshadow 2. In addition to two people and a dog, you could also squeeze in your gear. Henry Shires offers a front support pole set-up for those who don't carry trekking poles. My wife and I had a Double Rainbow (a wonderful shelter!!) but realized we would appreciate more interior space. We are very happy with our Rainshadow 2.

stranger
11-17-2008, 22:17
I can vouch for the Cloudburst, I had an older one but a great design. The poles mean you will have steep walls and more room, and the overall taughtness of the tent will be better. The front overhang will block all driving rain while providing a good amount of storage.

The Cloudburst is a great tent, the only thing to watch out for is the front pole being about a quarter inch too long, so you might have to trim it down but I would hope this problem would have been detected and fixed by now.

cr113
11-18-2008, 12:58
OK I've got it narrowed down between the Cloudburst 2 and the Rainshadow 2.

Does anyone how many extra poles I need for the Rainshadow 2? I'm trying to decide how much more the Rainshadow weighs than the Cloudburst with the extra poles.

bigcranky
11-18-2008, 13:56
You only need one pole for the RS2. You can use 2 poles as an option, but you only need one. Also, Henry will sell you a front pole or two if you don't want to use trekking poles.

cr113
11-18-2008, 15:44
Crap, Now I'm kinda leaning towards the Double Rainbow. Seems like it has more usable space and easier to get into. Plus my I think my dog can sleep in the vestibule area.

mudhead
11-18-2008, 17:31
Won't your dog want inside?

bigcranky
11-18-2008, 18:48
Having owned both, I can categorically state that the Rainshadow has far more interior space and volume than the Double Rainbow. It feels much larger, too.

The DR has more covered vestibule space. It has two doors, and thus more and better views and ventilation. It's true that it's much easier to get in and out of the DR than the Rainshadow.

Finally, I don't think the vestibule(s) on either tent are large enough for a dog.

I know this doesn't help, sorry.

cr113
11-20-2008, 15:46
I'm going with the rainshadow 2. I like the features of the double rainbow (headroom, side entries) but it's just not quite wide enough.

Maybe they'll make a wider version someday. I've heard a few people mention they'd like that.

Doctari
11-21-2008, 08:48
Kurt Russell of Wanderlust gear (Nomad tents) used to have directions for making poles for his tarp tent out of collapsable golf ball retrievers (a pole like device for getting your ball out of the lake). The website is gone now, but I'm sure with a little fussing, you could make a lightweight pole or 2 fairly cheap. Big Lots sometimes has them for about $5.00.

LIhikers
11-21-2008, 14:53
My wife and I have a Rainshadow2 that we use and there's plenty of room even when our Shepherd dog is with us. I think you'll be happy with your choice.