PDA

View Full Version : Trekking pole supported shelters

George P Burdell
11-17-2008, 21:11
My knees have started hurting enough that I broke down and bought trekking poles, so now I want to ditch my tent with poles and get something supported by the trekking poles. So far I've found the SMD Lunar Solo, Tarptent Squall, or Tarptent Contrail. If there are any others you recommend, I'm open to suggestions. I've never tried camping under something like a plain 8x10 tarp in GA during the summer...can you do that in the southern appalachians without getting overrun by bugs? It's so much cheaper of an option, it may be worth trying.

Egads
11-17-2008, 21:17
Mr Burdell,

I heard that you were lost at the federal pen on Boulevard Street? Maybe you heard the story? It's on your account the GT glee club is not longer welcome. It seems that you were on the roster going in but not accounted for on the way out. Explanations were in order, and now you know the rest of the story.

Take a look at the Mountain Laurel Designs Patrol Shelter and Serenity Shelter for short trips. Use a Six Moon Design Lunar Duo for longer trips.

Egads - GT ME82

verber
11-17-2008, 21:53
Besides the already mentioned SMD, Tarptent, and MLD there are a number of popular shelters from Gossamer Gear, Brawny designs sold by backpackinglight.com and antigravitygear.com. I try to keep a reasonably up-to-date list of tarptent shelters (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/shelter.html#Ultralight) with a few comments. You can also do larger shelters like pyramid tarps by lashing poles together.

You can certainly tarps without integrated bug protection. The typical solution then is to use some some of purpose driven bug protection. When I was tarping I really liked the A16 bug bivy. Around $30, 6oz, freestanding so it could be used under the tarp, in a shelter, etc. It covers maybe the top 1/3 of me, relying on the sleeping bag to protect legs.

--mark

ponyVet66
11-18-2008, 09:44
I'm having trouble recalling the exact name of it but I have been using a silnylon shelter for several years now. I prefer cool and cold weather trips so I can't really comment much on the bugs although I did use it out west for a couple of weeks in the summer with no bug issues. It has kept me very dry in spite of several episodes of intense rain. The setup is a little tricky at times to get a taut pitch and still have good protection from the elements but since it only weighs 14oz it is worth messing with to get right. I only had one issue in multiple outings and that was in high wind on Mt Rogers in November. I couldn't get the door flap tight enough not to be rattling in the wind. I had to listen to it most of the night but the shelter was always stable albeit loud at times. My knees are shot after many marathons so the trekking poles are an essential part of my gear now and the silshelter is a welcome addition as I have been able to shed a little more pack weight. Good luck with your search.

Red Hat
11-18-2008, 11:09
Rainbow tarptent...

Blue Jay
11-18-2008, 12:47
I'm having trouble recalling the exact name of it but I have been using a silnylon shelter for several years now.

This year I saw quite a few excellent homemade silnylon tarps. I'm going to make one myself.

ponyVet66
11-18-2008, 12:56
Had to go home and check it out / it was "bugging" me. It's an Integral Designs Silshelter. Can't remember what I paid but since I have used it on about 90% of my outings I figured I have gotten my moneys worth.

bigcranky
11-18-2008, 13:57
Yes, you can use a plain silonylon tarp in the Southern Appalachians in the summer. You need some bug protection -- either a head net, or maybe a net tent, something like that.

George P Burdell
11-18-2008, 13:58
I heard that you were lost at the federal pen on Boulevard Street? Maybe you heard the story? It's on your account the GT glee club is not longer welcome. It seems that you were on the roster going in but not accounted for on the way out.

I always seem to find myself in those types of situations. You wouldn't believe how often people are looking for me- I get paged on the PA system at GT sporting events all the time.

George (ME 04, among many others)

George P Burdell
11-18-2008, 14:02
verber- Your website is awesome. That's going to save me hours of searching.

I think I'm going to buy one of the inexpensive 8x10 tarps from Campmor, and give that a shot first. The $200+ price tag on most of these shelters is more than I'm willing to spend at the moment, and I may be perfectly satisfied with a simple tarp.

Short Term
11-18-2008, 14:41
I use a Noahs Tarp from REI...it has kept us dry through many severe storms in the Southern Appalachians and have't had any problems with bugs even in the middle of the summer. Easy to set up and take down, plus it doesn't weigh you down like a tent can. Plus, at night when a breeze is blowing the sleeping doesn't get any better.

Blissful
11-18-2008, 14:48
If you're going to be in the south, you'll probably be okay with a tarp. But I wouldnt use it up north in New England for sure. And in VA from Shenandoah north there's bad deer ticks.

Lyle
11-18-2008, 15:10
I've been very happy with a GoLite Cave (no longer available) shaped tarp. Had the nest for when bugs would be troublesome. Used that combo for years. Have changed to Gossamer Gear's The One and am very happy with it. Also sometimes use a Six Moon Wild Oasis. Both are very light, offer great protection.

I had one night when it was cold, with a steady, heavy rain and absolutely no breeze when condensation was a bigger problem than what I would want to deal with in The One. Every other night has been great - very little or no condensation. It is well ventilated. I am attributing the wet night to a rare occasion when all factors came together in a "Perfect storm" so to speak. I did still sleep reasonably, but my bag got more wet than I like.

For the AT, especially if you plan to use the shelters too, a tarp or tarptent is definitely the way to go. Great protection for the weight. Lots of good choices out there.

mister krabs
11-18-2008, 17:24
I'm in GA and over this past summer and fall I used a campmor 8x10 tarp with an rei bug hut 2 for bugs. I liked the combination, it's more open and airy than a normal tent with a fly, but still offers the psychological barrier of a tent that you don't get under a tarp. I just know that copperheads want to snuggle up with me for my body heat, no matter who tells me otherwise. :eek::eek: You also get a nylon coated tub floor instead of a groundcloth, which can be handy in the rain. I have the option of leaving the bug hut at home and using a groundcloth, but even together they're only a little more than 3 lbs and 130$ for plenty of room for two people and gear. A bug hut one would be even lighter and cheaper, less than 2 lbs and 100$.

Of course, the bug huts have poles, and you wanted to get away from that. You could use a mosquito net like this one (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___86660)

bumpass
11-18-2008, 20:53
I recently picked up a used SMD Lunar Solo E. I think I'm in love. :jump
So far it takes care of all the main shelter issues for me: weight, bugs and "critters"! :eek:

Franco
11-18-2008, 21:47
George
It depends on what you like and your size. If you are over 6' then ,according to several users, the Lunar Solo and The One could be too short (particularly if you use a thick mat)
On the other hand some don't like the front entry of the Contrail, but keep in mind that you can use two poles (inverted V) so that you don't have one in the way.
Right now if a vestibule is not a big deal for you, I would look at the silnylon version of the Tarptent Sublite as well as the ones mentioned above.
Franco

walkin' wally
11-18-2008, 21:56
I too would recommend the Rainbow Tarptent. I just bought one and it sets up quickly with or without the trekking poles. There is plenty of room to sit up inside and plenty of bug netting.
I will probably be using this one on my 2010 nobo. :sun

taildragger
11-18-2008, 22:32
8x10 tarp with bug bivy, or get some no-see-um mosquito netting and rig up some bug protection (PCT hikers should be pros at this)

Other than that, I'd say cruise for a used tarptent, you can find them on the cheap every now and then.

tom_alan
11-19-2008, 00:05
My knees have started hurting enough that I broke down and bought trekking poles, so now I want to ditch my tent with poles and get something supported by the trekking poles. So far I've found the SMD Lunar Solo, Tarptent Squall, or Tarptent Contrail. If there are any others you recommend, I'm open to suggestions. I've never tried camping under something like a plain 8x10 tarp in GA during the summer...can you do that in the southern appalachians without getting overrun by bugs? It's so much cheaper of an option, it may be worth trying.

I have a brother that snow camps using his trekking/ski poles and a space blanket. He says it’s the only way to go if you want to go light. But he also will jump in a lake at 10,000ft during the winter to bath. The Boy Scout group he leads has yet to following him in the freezing water.

George P Burdell
11-19-2008, 00:12
George
It depends on what you like and your size. If you are over 6' then ,according to several users, the Lunar Solo and The One could be too short (particularly if you use a thick mat)
On the other hand some don't like the front entry of the Contrail, but keep in mind that you can use two poles (inverted V) so that you don't have one in the way.
Right now if a vestibule is not a big deal for you, I would look at the silnylon version of the Tarptent Sublite as well as the ones mentioned above.
Franco

That's good to know. I'm 6'1" and I already have one tent that's too short; don't need a second.

I had no idea there were so many companies making this type of gear. So many choices....I hope Santa Claus brings me some $$$ this year!

verber
11-19-2008, 01:58
according to several users, The One could be too short (particularly if you use a thick mat)

I have heard that complaint, but I don't quite get it. I realize that I am only 5'10", but there is still plenty of room left inside the one when I am using it. The video of setting up the one on the gg website features glen who is 6'4"... he doesn't seem to have a problem fitting in.

--mark

Boudin
11-19-2008, 07:16
The beauty of a tarp is the flexibility. If you have never used a tarp before, count on getting wet. It may take some practice and experience to get the hang of setting up for different circumstances. Once you get past the learning curve, you'll probably never sleep in a tent again. Depending on your configuration, you can see in all directions....watch the moon rise and fall....watch the sunrise....never wonder what critter is walking through camp because you can see it.....sit up and cook if it's raining....and if the tarp is big enough, have a guest. I prefer to use a 10x10. It gives me more options. I also use a little bug repellent. Bugs have not been a problem for me.

tom_alan
11-19-2008, 09:23
The beauty of a tarp is the flexibility. If you have never used a tarp before, count on getting wet. It may take some practice and experience to get the hang of setting up for different circumstances. Once you get past the learning curve, you'll probably never sleep in a tent again. Depending on your configuration, you can see in all directions....watch the moon rise and fall....watch the sunrise....never wonder what critter is walking through camp because you can see it.....sit up and cook if it's raining....and if the tarp is big enough, have a guest. I prefer to use a 10x10. It gives me more options. I also use a little bug repellent. Bugs have not been a problem for me.

Do you have any pictures?

mister krabs
11-19-2008, 09:25
I also use a little bug repellent. Bugs have not been a problem for me.

I agree with all you said, including about the bugs. Got any snake repellent? The idea of waking up with a water moccasin trying to get my body heat under my sleeping bag gives me the heebeejeebies.
:eek:

mister krabs
11-19-2008, 09:32
Do you have any pictures?

Sgt Rock has a great page on tarp setups from least to most weather resistant with pictures and descriptions. http://hikinghq.net/gear/tarp.html

tom_alan
11-19-2008, 09:42
Sgt Rock has a great page on tarp setups from least to most weather resistant with pictures and descriptions. http://hikinghq.net/gear/tarp.html

Pictures were GREAT ~ Thanks!

Jorel
11-22-2008, 20:13
I love my Wild Oasis, with bug screen at bottom. Total weight, with six stakes and carbon pole is 18.3 oz. No floor, however. But I would carry a piece of tyvek anyway for shelter floor, so don't feel like it is extra unnecessary weight. I have the Contrail, the Rainbow, and the Hubba. The Hubba, by far, is the best...but it weighs 63 oz w/o stakes. (includes footprint, which you probably don't need, but again, I like to have floor covering for shelter to protect my sleeping system)

Tinker
11-22-2008, 20:22
If you're talking Southern Appalachians and summer, you should try a hammock with bug netting. There's no better way to take advantage of the breeze.
Just so I can say that I use my poles for more than one purpose, I often lift up the corners of my hammock's rainfly for better ventilation and more room to move around.
Any mattress you sleep on will be warmer than a wisp of nylon caressed by summer zephyrs.

Franco
11-22-2008, 20:30
Verber
Yesterday I had lunch with a guy that also had The One and returned it . Never met the guy before but he is a forum regular (not this one) and has used many shelters from several brands. You could call him discerning, maybe very fussy...
His reason for returning the GG shelter was that it found setting it up a bit too fiddly ( mostly he is using tarps, so he is not "challenged" in that department) and it was too short for him. I would estimate his hight at 5" 9" maybe a litle less.
The difference here is that his mat is a 2" Thermarest and may not tolerate having the fabric only a few inches above his face.
As usual what works for one is not necessarily going to please someone else.
Franco
BTW, I don't recall him commenting about his experience with The One in the forums

Doctari
11-24-2008, 10:52
if you can find one, they are no longer avalable or in production: a Nomad tent from Wanderlust gear. I have one of the originals, a large 1 person sil nylon tarp tent. supported by 2 adjustable hiking sticks & held in place with 3 tent pegs. The vestabule roof is supported by a 2 piece aluminum pole. Total weight with (aluminum wire) stakes & aluminum poles = 2 Lbs (31 Oz).
I'm 5' 7" & can sit up (just) in the center, but at my height, I'm nearly as tall as is comfortable laying in the Nomad. 6' would be do-able, but your feet would likely touch the sides of the tent, mine do.

Sorry, mine is retired, but not for sale.

FamilyGuy
11-24-2008, 12:38
Mark, Franco,

I had The One for a day and then returned it. I am just over 6 foot and use a 'Long' Bag. With an exped mat my head was only a couple of inches from the sloped end. Rolling over with vigour had my nose brushing the fabric. In a situation of rain or wind or condensation, this would be an issue. The length is fine, however. Compared to the design of the Akto - I know - completely different shelters but which share sloped ends, The One lacks the vertical 14" struts which provide much more livable space when horizontal in the Akto.

The Contrail, in contrast has similar length but none of the fabric touching issues. I can't compare stability, etc between the two as The One was returned.

I guess it was a little fiddly but no more than the Contrail in my opinion. In fact, it set up rock solid for such a light shelter. It just did not fit me....

Khike
11-24-2008, 16:42
Nice tent. I'm 6'5''. The bathtub floor is 96" long! It's wide enough to sleep two in a pinch. Weighs a pound and a half! Sets up with one treking pole-can be set up in the center or elongated and set off to the side-completely out of the way. Sets up in 3 or 4 minutes at most. Needs a little finagling getting the angles on the tie downs to get it perfectly tight. No sweat- can't beat a pound and a half. No bugs, no snakes, High enough to sit up and eat and keep all your gear in it. For 2 1/2 lbs get a Rainbow 2-for two people. Me and my large hiking friend can sit inside and cook and eat and play cards. It's like a palace. Exit either side. Nice tent. Or the Rainbow for one person, but I haven't bought one of those yet. Waterproof all day in a steady Georgia rain. Just my opinion. Kevin K