PDA

View Full Version : Max Patch Hike

BDinSC
11-18-2008, 11:00
Good morning guys and gals. I am spending this Thanksgiving in GSMNP and I really want to do a nice out-and-back day hike to Max Patch (which I know isn't in GSMNP). From a bit of research, I think I will drive to Lemon's Gap and go south to Max Patch and back to Lemon Gap. Can I enjoy most of the bald this way? Is it a hike that will take up most of a day? I think it is about 11 miles round trip. Thanks to all!

Lone Wolf
11-18-2008, 11:02
just park at max patch parking area and walk the few hundred yards to the top

BDinSC
11-18-2008, 11:05
Sounds like something my brother would say!:)

Lone Wolf
11-18-2008, 11:07
park at brown gap and hike north to max patch then back. 7 miles round trip.

Gray Blazer
11-18-2008, 11:15
Park at Davenport Gap and walk up to the summit of Snowbird/Wildcat Top and get good views of MP and GSMNP and walk back down. Good workout. 10 or 12 miles. I don't have my book with me.

Lone Wolf
11-18-2008, 11:16
ya can't see max patch from snowbird

Gray Blazer
11-18-2008, 11:23
Park at Davenport Gap and walk up to the summit of Snowbird/Wildcat Top and get good views of MP and GSMNP and walk back down. Good workout. 10 or 12 miles. I don't have my book with me.
Don't start from Davenport Gap, start from Pigeon River on I-40. Don't want to argue with LW, but you can see Max from Snowbird by the tower. I've got a pic in my WB Gallery. LW, now you've got me doubting myself, but, I believe I'm right this time.

Lone Wolf
11-18-2008, 11:25
Don't start from Davenport Gap, start from Pigeon River on I-40. Don't want to argue with LW, but you can see Max from Snowbird by the tower. I've got a pic in my WB Gallery. LW, now you've got me doubting myself, but, I believe I'm right this time.

he wants to do an out and back to max patch, not snowbird

Gray Blazer
11-18-2008, 11:26
The 36th pic in my WB Gallery shows Max Patch. It was taken behind the FAA tower on Snowbird/Wildcat Top.

Gray Blazer
11-18-2008, 11:27
he wants to do an out and back to max patch, not snowbird
I know. Just making a suggestion.

Gray Blazer
11-18-2008, 11:40
You can drive to the top of Snowbird, too. It'd be easier in a 4 wheel drive, but, I've made it a coupla times in my 89 Chevy Blazer (S10) (official vehicle of TN). You could walk from there to Max Patch and back in a day. Good car camping on top of Snowbird. Steep road. Prolly dangerous in snow. I know you said Brown Gap or Lemon Gap. Those are a long drive in from Del Rio. You might want to have a chainsaw in the trunk in case a tree falls across the mountain road. Max Patch is an easy drive in from I-40.

Lone Wolf
11-18-2008, 11:42
brown gap is an esy drive off of I-40

Gray Blazer
11-18-2008, 11:43
brown gap is an esy drive off of I-40
True dat!

Tennessee Viking
11-18-2008, 18:08
Good morning guys and gals. I am spending this Thanksgiving in GSMNP and I really want to do a nice out-and-back day hike to Max Patch (which I know isn't in GSMNP). From a bit of research, I think I will drive to Lemon's Gap and go south to Max Patch and back to Lemon Gap. Can I enjoy most of the bald this way? Is it a hike that will take up most of a day? I think it is about 11 miles round trip. Thanks to all!
There is quite a bit of parking at Max Patch. Including the AT, there are small and big loop trails, then a horse trail. Lemon Gap to Max Patch isn't difficult. You are walking along a good portion of Roaring Creek.

Look at the weather reports, if it is snowing driving up from Harmon Den might be difficult. But usually Max Patch does look the best when its green.

smaaax
11-18-2008, 20:15
Lemon Gap to Max patch is some easy trail along some streams and through the rhododendrons. A good hike.