PDA

View Full Version : Bryson/AWITW Question

ofthearth
11-18-2008, 17:52
Don't mean to beat a dead horse but......... since THE BOOK is brought up in a number of threads(402 posts in one thread) a question came to mind. And yes I read the book and have seen him on Charlie Rose.

Does he say any where " I hiked the Appalachian Trail"?

I see "hiking on the AT", his/the "book is based on hiking the AT" etc. I think some people have mentioned they have spoking with him or have heard him speak at signing. On the Charlie Rose show he makes it quite clear he knows he will not be "joining the great community of thru-hikers". I think the book has a lot of faults but not sure this is one of them. Any help?

chair/ofthearth

papa john
11-18-2008, 17:57
Pg 271, last line in the book:

"We didn't walk 2200 miles, it's true, but here's the thing: we tried. So Katz was right after all, and I don't care what anybody says. We hiked the Appalachian Trail."

2XL
11-18-2008, 18:05
All that sentence really needs is two letters to quiet many who protest.
We hiked ON the Appalachian Trail.

BumpJumper
11-18-2008, 18:17
If anyone read the book, they know.:-?

ofthearth
11-18-2008, 18:19

"We didn't walk 2200 miles, it's true, but here's the thing: we tried. So Katz was right after all, and I don't care what anybody says. We hiked the Appalachian Trail."

Thanks. I guess I should have added that while I did try to search the book on Amazon I no longer have the book.

Thanks

chair/ofthearth

papa john
11-18-2008, 18:23
Well, before anyone makes any assumptions....the reason I have this one here is because I checked it out from the library! LOL.

ofthearth
11-18-2008, 18:27
All that sentence really needs is two letters to quiet many who protest.
We hiked ON the Appalachian Trail.

I agree. It has been sometime since I read the book.

If anyone read the book, they know.:-?

Know what?

2XL
11-18-2008, 18:29
Well, before anyone makes any assumptions....the reason I have this one here is because I checked it out from the library! LOL.

What kind of assumptions would be made? That you read?
Last I heard, that's a good thing.

ofthearth
11-18-2008, 18:31

No assumptions made :rolleyes:.

BumpJumper
11-18-2008, 18:33
If he hiked the AT.

papa john
11-18-2008, 18:41
No, wrong on all counts. That I bought the book!

2XL
11-18-2008, 18:47
No, wrong on all counts. That I bought the book!

I own it. I picked it up at my local library book sale for a quarter.

ofthearth
11-18-2008, 18:48
If he hiked the AT.

That wasn't not the question as I tried to make clear.:rolleyes:

papa john
11-18-2008, 18:51

Did you get any change back? :)

2XL
11-18-2008, 18:57
Better make sure you return that book on time, or you will pay a quarter for your overdue fine. :eek:
Let me guess, you even used someone else's library card so it does not get linked to you in any way. LOL

aaroniguana
11-18-2008, 18:58
Are some of us that transparent?

FatMan
11-18-2008, 19:09
I read the book and enjoyed it. I don't understand what the big deal is here on WB. Sure he took artistic license and made stuff up, but it's a friggin book written for entertainment, not a how to book on hiking the trail. You all need to lighten up and laugh a bit. His book, and the AT for that matter, is nothing more than a means for entertainment and recreation.

papa john
11-18-2008, 19:11
Never said it wasn't funny. I think it is hilarious in places. I don't care if he didn't hike the whole trail as long as he isn't putting himself out there as a "thru-hiker".

2XL
11-18-2008, 19:18
I read the book and enjoyed it. I don't understand what the big deal is here on WB. Sure he took artistic license and made stuff up, but it's a friggin book written for entertainment, not a how to book on hiking the trail. You all need to lighten up and laugh a bit. His book, and the AT for that matter, is nothing more than a means for entertainment and recreation.

I am in no way anti Bryson, I read it and enjoyed it. I know it brought a lot of people out of their homes and into the woods and that is a good thing. As for who qualifies as a thru hiker, that is a personal distinction that each must decide for him/herself, but let's please leave it at that, this "who qualifies" topic has been beaten to death and back.

ofthearth
11-18-2008, 19:44

Never said it wasn't funny. I think it is hilarious in places. I don't care if he didn't hike the whole trail as long as he isn't putting himself out there as a "thru-hiker".

I am in no way anti Bryson, I read it and enjoyed it. I know it brought a lot of people out of their homes and into the woods and that is a good thing. As for who qualifies as a thru hiker, that is a personal distinction that each must decide for him/herself, but let's please leave it at that, this "who qualifies" topic has been beaten to death and back.

I did not start the thread "As for who qualifies as a thru hiker" question. A asked a simple question and it was answered in 2 posts. Thanks

As for the over posts: I think a lot of people at first read found it a funny book ( myself included) though maybe a little(?) troubled. The more I listened to others like Rock and J Greber ,in a review for Amazon, the more I understood what was bothering me.

I am still amazed at the number of people who mention this book when ever I say something about the AT. I think they see the trail through his eyes and well.............. Sorry, couldn't find the icon thing for beating a dead horse :rolleyes:

Mr. Bryson just does not know the Appalachian Trail, January 2, 2001
By J Greberhttp://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/common/icons/drop-down-icon-small-empty-arrow._V13355991_.gif (http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A231VG2NSCVG4L/ref=cm_cr_pr_pdp) (Harrisburg, PA USA) - See all my reviews (http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A231VG2NSCVG4L/ref=cm_cr_pr_auth_rev?ie=UTF8&sort%5Fby=MostRecentReview)
This is written from the perspective of a person who has hiked 2,000 miles of the Appalachian Trail and will complete the journey during the summer of 2001. It is also from the perspective of someone who has spent many volunteer hours maintaining the Trail. I, like I imagine thousands of others, laughed hysterically for the first 39 pages. Then I abruptly stopped when Mr. Bryson described how his friend Katz dumped pepperoni, rice, cans of spam, and brown sugar over a cliff as he climbed Amicalola Falls.

le loupe
11-18-2008, 19:56
Some have mentioned the artistic license taken by the book- why do only assume Katz' misdeeds must be the true parts? Perhaps this too is made up, and written to be provactive and entertaining for the many more who will never hike anypart of the AT.

Before you get your underarmour in a wad, upset with the example he set, consider all the other entertainment out there that glorifies murder, sex, alcohol, drugs and every other vice out there. A few coffee filters or cans of spam is harmless by comparison

That said, whether it Bryson, Katz or a multitude of others there is a tremendous amount of junk left at every shelter/campsite I passed. Socks, noodle packets even raw, uncooked sausages (what were they thinking?).

papa john
11-18-2008, 20:12
Some have mentioned the artistic license taken by the book- why do only assume Katz' misdeeds must be the true parts? Perhaps this too is made up, and written to be provactive and entertaining for the many more who will never hike anypart of the AT.

Before you get your underarmour in a wad, upset with the example he set, consider all the other entertainment out there that glorifies murder, sex, alcohol, drugs and every other vice out there. A few coffee filters or cans of spam is harmless by comparison

That said, whether it Bryson, Katz or a multitude of others there is a tremendous amount of junk left at every shelter/campsite I passed. Socks, noodle packets even raw, uncooked sausages (what were they thinking?).

Excellent post.

Lone Wolf
11-18-2008, 20:34
dead records and broken horses :rolleyes:

sheepdog
11-18-2008, 20:38

Technacally what he said is correct. He doesn't say he hiked the whole trail. If you walk from Newfound Gap to Charlies bunyon you've hike the Appalachian Trail.

weary
11-18-2008, 20:59
Better make sure you return that book on time, or you will pay a quarter for your overdue fine. :eek:
Let me guess, you even used someone else's library card so it does not get linked to you in any way. LOL
You obviously don't participate much in library book sales. Once you buy a book at such sales, it's yours. From that point on, you can do whatever, if anything, you think is useful with that book. It never goes back. it never again accumulates library fines.

That's why I'm such a fan of library sales.

Weary

2XL
11-18-2008, 22:05
You obviously don't participate much in library book sales. Once you buy a book at such sales, it's yours. From that point on, you can do whatever, if anything, you think is useful with that book. It never goes back. it never again accumulates library fines.

That's why I'm such a fan of library sales.

Weary

I was refering to PapaJohn's checked out library book, not the one I own. When I feel I am done with mine, I think I will donate it back to the book sale, so someone else may purchase it and suport the library.

le loupe
11-18-2008, 22:20
dead records and broken horses :rolleyes:

ah- pithy

I haven't participated in this conversation before, so for me, its neither broken or dead...

Lone Wolf
11-18-2008, 22:26
ah- pithy

I haven't participated in this conversation before, so for me, its neither broken or dead...

so participate then

le loupe
11-18-2008, 22:58
i did- post #21

BumpJumper
11-19-2008, 10:05
I am ROTFLMAO at this topic......:D

Lone Wolf
11-19-2008, 10:13
i did- post #21

i see that. and we agree :)

dradius
11-19-2008, 10:24
I did the same, except my library has the nerve to charge 50 cents for paperbacks :eek: Seriously though, I don't get why everyone loves to bash Bryson. He is upfront about skipping parts of the trail. I'll also say I don't think the book is worth the $7.99 cover price, but that goes for nearly all MSRPs.

weary
11-19-2008, 11:45
....Seriously though, I don't get why everyone loves to bash Bryson. He is upfront about skipping parts of the trail. .....
The problem is not that he skipped part of the trail, but that his account of the parts of the trail he experienced bore little relationship to the reality that many of us saw and experienced.

John B
11-19-2008, 11:48
The problem is not that he skipped part of the trail, but that his account of the parts of the trail he experienced bore little relationship to the reality that many of us saw and experienced.

Perhaps not everyone shares your version of reality.

weary
11-19-2008, 11:55
Perhaps not everyone shares your version of reality.
Of course. That's why I didn't mention everyone, just that the book is at odds with the "reality that many of us saw and experienced.

Weary

le loupe
11-20-2008, 00:02

what do you mean by this? explain further.

Its been a while since I "read" the book. Actually i listened on CD and can't refer to what I think i heard and my subsequent hiking experience.

Frosty
11-20-2008, 00:18
Technacally what he said is correct. He doesn't say he hiked the whole trail. If you walk from Newfound Gap to Charlies bunyon you've hike the Appalachian Trail.It is technically correct.

I don't think that is what he meant by it, though. I think he meant that he had the experience of hiking the trail, and it was a complete experience. I think he was addressing purists (of whom he had to have heard) that one need not walk every step to hike and understand the trail. Just like I have driving I-95, even though I have not been much south of New Smyrna Beach. Maybe someone has driven every mile of I-95 and they call themselves thru-drivers and get a patch and look down on others, but I don't care what anyone says. I drove I-95.

I don't see that it matters, but I read in earlier posts it does matter to some people, that they have no problem with Bryson only as long as he doesn't call himself a thru-hiker.

Good luck trying to control what other people say and how they think of themselves.

itsallgoodchuck
11-20-2008, 09:46
I read the book and enjoyed it. It actually brought my attention to the AT as I didnt know much of it at all. After doing a lot more research I believe my experience of the AT will be a lot different than Bryson's. Bryson s a writer and his style is to exaggerate which is why I like his wrting. I really enjoyed the book and took it for what it was. EVERYONE has a different experience on the trail and takes away something different and I dont think ayone should look down on Bryson for what he came away with. He accomplished a lot more than I (and many more) have. HYOH,

weary
11-20-2008, 12:16
what do you mean by this? explain further.

Its been a while since I "read" the book. Actually i listened on CD and can't refer to what I think i heard and my subsequent hiking experience.
One meets many fascinating people on the trail. Bryson seems to have missed them all. He mentions only two at any length -- a woman who blows her nose in a way the Bryson finds offensive, and a guy who keeps getting loss. Both descriptions are caricatures and stereotypes..

The book suggests to me that Bryson quickly found that he didn't like either the trail or the people hiking it. At least the book provides little evidence that he seriously tried to interact with other hikers.

The book is quite humorous. I chuckled while reading it. But most of the humor struck me as being based more on Bryson's imagination, than on the reality of the trail.

Weary

daddytwosticks
11-20-2008, 17:24
I agree with Weary. When I got back into hiking a few years ago, one of the most unexpected pleasures of walking the AT is meeting and interacting with the neatest people! Bryson seemed to miss out on this aspect in his book.

rhjanes
11-20-2008, 17:31
I agree with Weary. When I got back into hiking a few years ago, one of the most unexpected pleasures of walking the AT is meeting and interacting with the neatest people! Bryson seemed to miss out on this aspect in his book.
No one wanted to get near him. Smell of wet tweed, pipe smoke and all.

weary
11-20-2008, 23:57
....That said, whether it Bryson, Katz or a multitude of others there is a tremendous amount of junk left at every shelter/campsite I passed. Socks, noodle packets even raw, uncooked sausages (what were they thinking?).
Probably, "let some lazy government worker, carry this sh** out."
Unfortunately, the burden fell to some overworked, uncompensated volunteer.

Weary

Panzer1
11-21-2008, 00:54
I think its the best book ever written about the trail. One big reason I think the book was so good is because they didn't make it all the way. All the other books where the hikers made it all the way were boring because reading about someone else hiking for 180 days gets boring after about a month or two.

Panzer