PDA

View Full Version : Electronics

TheKO
11-18-2008, 22:08
I have decided, I think, on allowing myself the luxury of three electronc devices for my hike. I have nixed the GPS based on a previous thread. I am going to bring a small digital camera (type still undecided), a digital recorder to record my notes while on the trail (That way when I write my "Walk in the Woods", I have the facts straight!), and the third device is a Casio Altimeter, Barometer, Temp watch.

Anyone used these - and any thoughts before I purchase them?

jafrost
11-18-2008, 22:52
Don't. You won't need that stuff. Just use a regular wrist watch and buy an MP3 instead. I wish I had. Also, a lot of people decry cellphones. Mine sure came-in handy when calling ahead to motels or hostels. (Now I've done it. Stand-by for a big discussion on cellphones).

--Jack Frost

taildragger
11-18-2008, 22:59
I had that altimeter barometer watch. The compass was nice, the altimeter wasn't very accurate (not sure why you'd want it for the AT, now the PCT or CDT, I can understand it there)

The camera is a must, IMHO. Make sure that you get one that takes high quality images (good MP count and good glass)

No clue on digital recorders, I just used paper since paper doesn't need batteries.

taildragger
11-18-2008, 23:00
Oh, and WRT cell phones. They can be useful since it seems that no one has pay phones anymore.

le loupe
11-18-2008, 23:02
I carried a digital camera and I'm glad I did. I carried a bunch of other superfluous stuff that I wish I hadn't.

I will definitely carry a camera again but I will much more diligent in protecting it from water. I fried the LCD screen.

Save the money you'd spend on a fancy watch and upgrade another piece of gear.

I'm ambivalent on the voice recorder, its not for me.

sleeveless
11-18-2008, 23:15
The cell phone really came in handy. I charged my battery any place there was an outlet, even in a park. The camera is a must and I used a Pocket mail device but I think technology has gone past those now. The journal took a lot of time but I am so glad now that I kept it.

Sleeveless AT '05
www.trailjournals.com

KG4FAM
11-18-2008, 23:16
a digital recorder to record my notes while on the trail (That way when I write my "Walk in the Woods", I have the facts straight!)you can get mp3 players that will record voice as well and also have fm radio.

The Old Fhart
11-18-2008, 23:16
If you're going to carry a watch anyway, this is a no-brainer. A Casio won't weigh any more than a regular single function watch and they have far greater functionality. Using an altimeter with a map when you're on a trail can pinpoint your location and the barometer trend graph function can help you predict the weather for the day. I have used Casio watches for about 30 years and the current altimeter/barometer/thermometer/alarm version is a few years old and I wear it every single day. It has never had any problems other than the wrist band needing to be restitched and replacing the battery after about 2 years.

If you're already thinking of taking one and you can afford it, go for it, you won't regret it, other than having the hikers who don't have a watch asking you what time it is.;)

le loupe
11-18-2008, 23:34
cell phones tell time.

I only wear a watch when I'm going to a party and want some jewelry

tom_alan
11-18-2008, 23:57
cell phones tell time.

I only wear a watch when I'm going to a party and want some jewelry

Got to go with Le Loupe on this one. If you're going to carry a cell phone why carry a watch? My GPS tells time, works as a compass & Alt. but it's an older one and has some weight to it. I only carry it if I'm Geocaching. I also have to carry extra batteries for it as well. The GPS usually stays home.

taildragger
11-18-2008, 23:59
Got to go with Le Loupe on this one. If you're going to carry a cell phone why carry a watch? My GPS tells time, works as a compass & Alt. but it's an older one and has some weight to it. I only carry it if I'm Geocaching. I also have to carry extra batteries for it as well. The GPS usually stays home.

B/C turning on a phone to look at the time uses a considerable amount of battery, vs a watch that barely uses any.

I haven't worn a watch for years, but I get very annoyed when my cell phone dies and I needed to know what time it was (this seems to occur fairly often in cold weather, when needed the most)

KG4FAM
11-19-2008, 00:00
Got to go with Le Loupe on this one. If you're going to carry a cell phone why carry a watch? My GPS tells time, works as a compass & Alt. but it's an older one and has some weight to it. I only carry it if I'm Geocaching. I also have to carry extra batteries for it as well. The GPS usually stays home.cell phones have limited battery lives. I use my watch all the time when hiking to judge my pace so I can have an idea of where I am. Then it is my alarm clock in the morning so it is running all night. If you try to do that with a cell phone in a dead zone then you are not going to have it last very long.

tom_alan
11-19-2008, 00:15
B/C turning on a phone to look at the time uses a considerable amount of battery, vs a watch that barely uses any.

I haven't worn a watch for years, but I get very annoyed when my cell phone dies and I needed to know what time it was (this seems to occur fairly often in cold weather, when needed the most)

cell phones have limited battery lives. I use my watch all the time when hiking to judge my pace so I can have an idea of where I am. Then it is my alarm clock in the morning so it is running all night. If you try to do that with a cell phone in a dead zone then you are not going to have it last very long.

You both make very good points! I don't pay much attention to time as I do where the sun is located at. As it starts to go down than I look at my cell phone to get an idea of the amount of time I have before dark.

Summit
11-19-2008, 08:05
These days, my hiking 'electronics' consist of a Windows Mobile cell phone, which does multitasking: camera, phone, ebook/Bible reader, weather updates, and my Steripen water treatment device. I don't count my headlamp but I guess it is electrical too! :)

BrianLe
11-19-2008, 14:12
I was happy to have a smartphone with me on the PCT this year; my take on this is here:
http://postholer.com/smartPhone.html

Brian Lewis
http://postholer.com/brianle

smaaax
11-19-2008, 17:35
Also, some cell phones need signal to get the time, and don't have time if they don't have signal. Most phones aren't like this, but I had one that was and it sucked.

postholer.com
11-19-2008, 18:55
...allowing myself the luxury of three electronc devices for my hike. I have nixed the GPS based on a previous thread.

If you're serious about a multi-function device, check out the Suunto X9/10 series watches. They have altimeter, barometer, GPS and log functions. AND they tell time.

I used the log function extensively as it shows accumlated ascent/descent. So every morning you start a new log and begin collecting data. Years later you can look back at your journal and know exactly where you camped (lat/lon) and and how hard you struggled to get there (ascent/descent). :-? If not useful information during your hike, it's definitely nostalgic years later and you'll appreciate having it.

An example of this collected info:
http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?event_id=74

Being just a watch, weight is a non-issue. So you can still bring that digital camera and iPod.

-postholer

Mags
11-19-2008, 19:12
I bring a carrier pigeon.

Always shows me the way back. I can eat it if I become really hungry...

Franco
11-19-2008, 19:16
My Casio watch is a "comfort" item . I like that it is solar powered it has a "good enough" altimeter/ barometer , a resonable compass, tells me the temperature and can wake me up if I need to. And yes, it it as watch as well. I don't own or use a mobile.
But I would not say that someone using it is clever or stupid , I just happen to like it...
Franco