PDA

View Full Version : Need help from someone who lives near NOC

Powder River
11-18-2008, 23:11
This April on my thru-hike, I lost a small memory card pouch in the woods near the Nantahalla at NOC, containing four SD memory cards. One of those cards had over 170 pictures on it from my thru hike from Neels Gap to Fontana Dam.

These pictures are precious to me and as you can imagine, they would be very nice to get back. I went throught all the official channels at NOC for locating a lost item, but never heard back from them. They are closed now for the season, so I will have to wait until spring to even contact them again.

In the meantime, I am left wondering if they were ever even found by anybody. I was camping for a few days along the river, which is a stealth camp for NOC. You turn right on the railroad tracks, follow them until you see some wooden steps leading down into the woods on the right. This path takes you quite a ways, past several campsites. I camped at the very last site before the path takes you back towards the tracks, and I'm pretty sure the memory cards fell out of a pocket somewhere on this path. In particular, I think they had a good chance of falling out on the wooden steps, as I remember sprinting up those. Or there is a rock that you have to scramble over, and maybe it was then. They are in a very small black zippered pouch that says 'Sandisk' on the front, which is the size of a compact flash card.

If there is anybody who frequents this area, I would be hugely indebted if you could take a look around for me. I live up in Maryland and likely won't be able to do this. As a reward I want whoever finds them to keep the memory cards, (two 4GB Extreme III and two 2GB Ultra II SD cards) as I only want the files back.

Let me know if you can help. Thanks!

Powder River

Summit
11-18-2008, 23:48
Sorry to hear about that. I hope you get the pics and the cards back. Have you tried contacting the NOC? Someone may have turned it in there.

http://www.noc.com/index.php/contact-us.html

the goat
11-18-2008, 23:52
Sorry to hear about that. I hope you get the pics and the cards back. Have you tried contacting the NOC? Someone may have turned it in there.

I went throught all the official channels at NOC for locating a lost item, but never heard back from them. They are closed now for the season, so I will have to wait until spring to even contact them again.

yes. noc has been contacted.

Alligator
11-18-2008, 23:57
Maybe the folks at the SoRuck could spend a few minutes looking.

Summit
11-19-2008, 00:04
yes. noc has been contacted.Guess I glossed right over that! Duh! :o Gotta go brush up on my reading skills . . .

the goat
11-19-2008, 00:05
Guess I glossed right over that! Duh! :o Gotta go brush up on my reading skills . . .

no worries, happens to the best of us!:D

xnav
11-19-2008, 20:20
I plan to hike from the NOC to Fontana Dam next week. If I have time I'll walk the path you described. I'll PM you if I find anything.

Powder River
11-20-2008, 03:28
Xnav,

Thank you! This is exactly what I was hoping for; someone who just happens to be planning to visit. Sounds like an awesome hike this time of year, too.

Powder River

BumpJumper
11-20-2008, 07:36
X...I sure hope you find them for him. That is awesome of you to do that.

ofthearth
11-20-2008, 11:07
PR - did you see the post on here about the site that lists lost/found cameras/cards? Don't remember where I saw it but you could probably find it by doing a search.

Ron Haven
11-20-2008, 22:03
As you are reading this thread.I found a pair of prescription glasses in a case at Tellico Gap about two weeks ago.I have ask many but none have claimed them.

Powder River
11-22-2008, 15:22
PR - did you see the post on here about the site that lists lost/found cameras/cards? Don't remember where I saw it but you could probably find it by doing a search.

I searched and found one post about a card from 2005 being found in the grass near Rural Retreat, VA, which gives me hope!

Found some about missing cameras too. Is there another post you were thinking of?

Sly
11-22-2008, 16:19
Maybe the folks at the SoRuck could spend a few minutes looking.

I've always wondered where the camping is so I can take a look. of course, it won't be until January.

Bigglesworth
11-22-2008, 18:47
Powder, I hope you find them! I know this won't help replace your personal photos, but I took a bunch in that section, if you want some of the views and sights through there...I have some great photos of you in Mahoosuc Notch in the storm I have to get your way...I hope your cards turn up. Maybe you should do an all e-mail on the 2008 e-mail list Banjo put together to inquire if anyone may have found them and kept them figuring they'd never find the rightful owner???:confused:

Powder River
11-22-2008, 21:08
Powder, I hope you find them! I know this won't help replace your personal photos, but I took a bunch in that section, if you want some of the views and sights through there...I have some great photos of you in Mahoosuc Notch in the storm I have to get your way...I hope your cards turn up. Maybe you should do an all e-mail on the 2008 e-mail list Banjo put together to inquire if anyone may have found them and kept them figuring they'd never find the rightful owner???:confused:

Ooh, that's a great idea, thanks. :sun

Blissful
11-22-2008, 23:45
Hope it gets found somehow. Miracles can happen!

ofthearth
01-10-2009, 10:53
This April on my thru-hike, I lost a small memory card pouch in the woods near the Nantahalla at NOC, containing four SD memory cards. One of those cards had over 170 pictures on it from my thru hike from Neels Gap to Fontana Dam.

These pictures are precious to me and as you can imagine, they would be very nice to get back. I went throught all the official channels at NOC for locating a lost item, but never heard back from them. They are closed now for the season, so I will have to wait until spring to even contact them again.

In the meantime, I am left wondering if they were ever even found by anybody. I was camping for a few days along the river, which is a stealth camp for NOC. You turn right on the railroad tracks, follow them until you see some wooden steps leading down into the woods on the right. This path takes you quite a ways, past several campsites. I camped at the very last site before the path takes you back towards the tracks, and I'm pretty sure the memory cards fell out of a pocket somewhere on this path. In particular, I think they had a good chance of falling out on the wooden steps, as I remember sprinting up those. Or there is a rock that you have to scramble over, and maybe it was then. They are in a very small black zippered pouch that says 'Sandisk' on the front, which is the size of a compact flash card.

If there is anybody who frequents this area, I would be hugely indebted if you could take a look around for me. I live up in Maryland and likely won't be able to do this. As a reward I want whoever finds them to keep the memory cards, (two 4GB Extreme III and two 2GB Ultra II SD cards) as I only want the files back.

Let me know if you can help. Thanks!

Powder River

PR The ruck is coming up. Did you ever find your cards? I'll see if I can print up a flyer with the info from this post. Is this still correct?

LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST
memory card pouch in the woods near the Nantahalla at NOC

I was camping for a few days along the river, which is a stealth camp for NOC. You turn right on the railroad tracks, follow them until you see some wooden steps leading down into the woods on the right. This path takes you quite a ways, past several campsites. I camped at the very last site before the path takes you back towards the tracks, and I'm pretty sure the memory cards fell out of a pocket somewhere on this path. In particular, I think they had a good chance of falling out on the wooden steps, as I remember sprinting up those. Or there is a rock that you have to scramble over, and maybe it was then. They are in a very small black zippered pouch that says 'Sandisk' on the front, which is the size of a compact flash card.

Powder River
01-13-2009, 19:57
Oftheearth,

Wow, that would be fantastic!!! What luck it is for soruck to be at NOC, for I can't think of a better way they could be found.

I would love to go, but unfortunately I am tied up this weekend in DC with the inauguration and whatnot. Would you be willing to put up such a flyer?

I would just add the following:
'Inside should be four Sandisk SD memory cards, two 4gb and two 2gb. On one of the 4gb cards are ~180 pictures from my thru-hike. I only want the pictures back. The cards themselves will be offered as a reward to however finds these!'