PDA

View Full Version : Hiking for religious or spiritual reasons poll.

tom_alan
11-19-2008, 14:34
Here is a poll that goes along with the Hiking for religious or spiritual reasons thread.

Hiking poll religious or spiritual / non-religious or spiritual

The Solemates
11-19-2008, 17:03
all the above except dependency

but i checked all the above

Summit
11-19-2008, 17:32
I think I checked all except 'because the trail is there' and 'dependency.' Some reasons come more often and/or are more prevalent.

weary
11-19-2008, 20:58
These issues are too complex for a meaningful poll, especially one so poorly thought out as this one.

Weary

JAK
11-19-2008, 21:19
I checked Get closer to nature, which is essentially the same as All of the above.

SunnyWalker
11-19-2008, 21:27
Hmmm, kind of interesting. Made me think. I love the "creation" that the "Creator" made.

camojack
11-20-2008, 01:32
These issues are too complex for a meaningful poll, especially one so poorly thought out as this one.
Why do you feel the need to dump on other people's beliefs?

ed bell
11-20-2008, 02:43

WearyScore one for "none of the above":sun

ed bell
11-20-2008, 02:47
I actually checked every box because through my life, every response had a place at one point or another.

tom_alan
11-20-2008, 02:51

Weary

Than why dont you start a poll of your own? I just tried to pick out some of the points people were making and keep it simple.

Hooch
11-20-2008, 06:49

WearyFor chrissakes, it's just a poll on a web-based forum. No one's trying to cure cancer, free Tibet or rescue bunny rabbits from a laboratory here, it's just an informal poll. If you don't like it, don't vote on it. But don't be a ****tard about it. No need to **** on other people's polls/threads just because you look down your nose at them.

Lone Wolf
11-20-2008, 06:58
he hates jesus and signs

mudhead
11-20-2008, 07:11
Just testing the edit function.

Normal.

Christus Cowboy
11-20-2008, 09:27
Here is a poll that goes along with the Hiking for religious or spiritual reasons thread.

Hiking poll religious or spiritual / non-religious or spiritual

I can't seem to locate the original thread here did it get deleted?... If it did I believe it is quite unfortunate.....

rafe
11-20-2008, 09:27

Why should "beliefs" be discussed on a hiking forum?

Alligator
11-20-2008, 09:29
I can't seem to locate the original thread here did it get deleted?... If it did I believe it is quite unfortunate.....No, please hold on...I was testing whether to merge this poll into the thread and it got moved. I will fix it, but it's going to take a few minutes to fix. (about 20 or so).

Alligator
11-20-2008, 09:30
Oh and quit arguing about the poll. The poll is fine being here.

sheepdog
11-20-2008, 09:31
cuz it's talking about beliefs related to hiking

Christus Cowboy
11-20-2008, 10:04
No, please hold on...I was testing whether to merge this poll into the thread and it got moved. I will fix it, but it's going to take a few minutes to fix. (about 20 or so).

Thanks Alligator.... I'm sorry if I was coming across as accusatory I certainly didn't intend for that.....

rafe
11-20-2008, 10:06

Why should my "beliefs" matter to you or anyone else? They're inside my head. It's what I say or do that matters... not what I "believe."

Religion makes the perfect wedge for dividing people -- and that's why it ought to remain private.

Christus Cowboy
11-20-2008, 10:12

Well said.....

Alligator
11-20-2008, 10:13
Why should my "beliefs" matter to you or anyone else? They're inside my head. It's what I say or do that matters... not what I "believe."

Religion makes the perfect wedge for dividing people -- and that's why it ought to remain private.It's an acceptable question and poll Terrapin. Now let it go.

Alligator
11-20-2008, 10:26
Thanks Alligator.... I'm sorry if I was coming across as accusatory I certainly didn't intend for that.....No problem, it was my mistake.

Plodderman
11-20-2008, 10:38
No wedge, religion has never been private but I do agree that religion and politics do tend to become heated topics. I take my religious beliefs hiking but I am not on the Whiteblaze forum for politics or religion.

But I will take a hiker over most people no matter there religious beliefs. I usually stay to myself so religious beliefs do not come up unless someone asks me what I do for a living. I am a minister so many want to talk religion but I usually try not to go there.

No problem with the poll and it is kind of fun to know some other sides to hikers.

I have choice to post my religious beliefs or not. No problem here.

Lone Wolf
11-20-2008, 10:47
But I will take a hiker over most people no matter there religious beliefs.

"take a hiker" ?

Plodderman
11-20-2008, 10:52
I am a life long hiker and have found that most hikers that I have talked to over the years are some of the best people I have ever met. So what I mean is that hikers are my kind of people no matter what they believe.

weary
11-20-2008, 11:54
I don't and haven't.

Blue Jay
11-20-2008, 13:22
It's an acceptable question and poll Terrapin. Now let it go.

I'm agreeing with Alligator. I hate when that happens.

Blue Jay
11-20-2008, 13:25
No one's trying to cure cancer, free Tibet or rescue bunny rabbits from a laboratory here, it's just an informal poll.

We're not??? This poll is very confusing, but I like it.

SunnyWalker
11-20-2008, 15:19
I don't know you guys. "Take your beliefs/religion with you" when you hike? I think it's already there, so to speak. Hear me out.
You hike, you see beautiful sights, you are inspired and re-energized and you return to your home/work/life with a renewed sense of worth and idea that life is worth living. The inspiration on the hike causes you to move toward something. Different for each of us I know. For one it might be a move towards re-outlining goals and one's focus. To another it could be a religious move, towards deepening ones faith. And then to another it could be a commitment to their fellow human, coming from inspiration in seeing hikers work together (and trail angels), etc.

Manwich
11-20-2008, 15:22
I hike to escape religion.

sheepdog
11-20-2008, 16:57
As a Christian I couldn't agree with you more. Sometimes religion can interfere with my walk with God. When people ask me if I am religeous, I reply no, I am a follower of Jesus.
That is why while hiking, I can pray without distraction, listen to God, and sit on a mountaintop while reading my Bible. It helps me feel close to my creator.

Manwich
11-20-2008, 17:17
When people ask me if I am religeous, I reply no, I am a follower of Jesus.

Sheepdog, As a Non-Christian, I need to say: We need more people like you here in Jersey.

bloodmountainman
11-20-2008, 18:02
As a Christian I couldn't agree with you more. Sometimes religion can interfere with my walk with God. When people ask me if I am religeous, I reply no, I am a follower of Jesus.
That is why while hiking, I can pray without distraction, listen to God, and sit on a mountaintop while reading my Bible. It helps me feel close to my creator.
Wow! You have stated my feeling exactly!! Wish I could make a point like that. Faith and Relligion are worlds apart!
Well put Sheepdog.:sun

Homer&Marje
11-20-2008, 18:06
I checked To get away from people, lifes troubles, and to get closer to nature.

But why may I ask, post a poll with a multiple answer option and then have an All of the Above answer? All of the above can be checked individually.

Skidsteer
11-20-2008, 19:51
I checked To get away from people, lifes troubles, and to get closer to nature.

But why may I ask, post a poll with a multiple answer option and then have an All of the Above answer? All of the above can be checked individually.

For the pantheistic solipsistic sophists.

It keeps them out of the way while the rest of us have a discussion.

Manwich
11-20-2008, 19:53

What are those? Like, people who don't believe the all the continents were one big land mass once?

kanga
11-20-2008, 20:38

i hike to escape terrapins posts

Toolshed
11-20-2008, 20:40
http://www.911loanmodifications.com/images/checkmark_box_large_red.png
Get Away from ****** Weary (and ****** Homer)!!!!!

jimtanker
11-20-2008, 20:55
I hike for all the hot hiker chicks.

Hooch
11-20-2008, 20:56
Get Away from ****** Weary Or you might catch something you don't want. :banana

Cuffs
11-20-2008, 20:59

Aww, arent you nice JT!!

jimtanker
11-20-2008, 21:01
If you'd only let me show you how nice.........

dixicritter
11-20-2008, 21:01

Religion makes the perfect wedge for dividing people -- and that's why it ought to remain private.

Then shut up and let the ones that do want to talk about it have their say. We all know how you feel by now.

As to the poll... I hike because I enjoy getting closer to nature with my family. :sun

Hikerhead
11-20-2008, 21:07
I lost my religion on my last hike. Hiked 19 miles into Damascus as fast as I could go partly to get to Dots before they closed for a cheeseburger....I was starving since I left most of my food in the truck of my car. Kerosene and I get to Dots about 1 1/2 hours before closing, sat down at the bar, told the waitress that I wanted a cheeseburger, she said no cheeseburgers-the grill had already been cleaned.

warraghiyagey
11-20-2008, 21:19

Weary

For you maybe

GREAT question

Than why dont you start a poll of your own? I just tried to pick out some of the points people were making and keep it simple.

Excellent oint that will likely be missed.

For chrissakes, it's just a poll on a web-based forum. No one's trying to cure cancer, free Tibet or rescue bunny rabbits from a laboratory here, it's just an informal poll. If you don't like it, don't vote on it. But don't be a ****tard about it. No need to **** on other people's polls/threads just because you look down your nose at them.

Your poll (stinks).

he hates jesus and signs

Seems so

Oh and quit arguing about the poll. The poll is fine being here.

Agreed

Why should my "beliefs" matter to you or anyone else?

Killer question

"take a hiker" ?

Consenually of course;)

i hike to escape terrapins posts

Who doesn't?

Who doesn't?

As to the poll... I hike because I enjoy getting closer to nature with my family. :sun

So there! Hmmmphh.

warraghiyagey
11-20-2008, 21:21
....I was starving since I left most of my food in the truck of my car. .

Your car has it's own truck? . . . cool. :sun

JAK
11-20-2008, 21:23
I hike to drive a wedge between myself and the rest of society. :D

Hikerhead
11-20-2008, 21:31
Your car has it's own truck? . . . cool. :sun

I need to send in some $ so that I can edit again. :)

warraghiyagey
11-20-2008, 21:34

as far as i'm concerned, you don't exist anyway. ;)

love, vf

ps. i hike to maintain my hotness- didn't see that as a choice.

rafe
11-21-2008, 00:32
Then shut up and let the ones that do want to talk about it have their say. We all know how you feel by now.

Such heartening sentiments, dixi. Yeah, you know how I feel and I know how you feel, so let's just rehash it all over again so we can be really, really sure where we all stand on these weighty metaphysical matters. Makes everyone so much happier and friendlier.

dog forbid someone should mention global warming... you know, like something from the so-called "real world." That kind of post wouldn't stand a chance.

weary
11-21-2008, 00:54
Get Away from ****** Weary (and ****** Homer)!!!!!
This had been a very interesting discussion. But sadly, it disintegrated after someone added a poll. My apologies if I helped cause the disintegration. I hadn't intended to.

Weary

emerald
11-21-2008, 01:23
So, would I be correct in believing now would not be a good time to say I agree both with weary and terrapin?:(

Tinker
11-21-2008, 01:52

Well stated. I, too, am a follower of Jesus. I don't fit in with the major "Christian" organizations because when I read the simple words of Jesus to them from the Bible, many say "He must have meant this or that" instead of what he clearly stated.

Jesus was a peaceful, non-materialistic Jew who taught love of God first and love for people second and stated that the two can't be seperated.

Unfortunately, many of us have our own ideas of what love is. Humans are born self-aware (selfish, maybe). Most of us are still fighting that aspect of life.

camojack
11-21-2008, 02:13
Maybe, just maybe, because some folks think of hiking as a religious experience. YMMV... :-?

emerald
11-21-2008, 02:36
Maybe, just maybe, because some folks think of hiking as a religious experience. YMMV... :-?

It is a good topic to argue about for those who like to argue because there never will be agreement. Some might not see the point and question why we need go there. I thought since there seemed to be agreement there was no need for a religion forum, it was thought best this topic would not be discussed here.

It can be an issue which divides us into little groups based upon religious beliefs when we ought to be assembling a larger group of hikers. It could be argued we might assemble and cultivate that larger group through toleranace, or, alternatively, maybe we should simply celebrate that part of ourselves amongst others with whom we share those beliefs as members of other groups to which we belong. I tend to think the latter better.

I'm sure I can find other ways to participate and just stay out of these discussions if they are to continue. I'm too involved in too much already.

Christus Cowboy
11-21-2008, 06:16

These are my sentiments as well.... there are numerous cases where religion has had a negative impact on one's faith.... Getting out to the backcountry is great way to remove yourself from those distractions and really sharpen one's focus on God and His divine creation....

Christus Cowboy
11-21-2008, 06:33
Sheepdog, As a Non-Christian, I need to say: We need more people like you here in Jersey.

Add me to the list with Sheepdog...

dixicritter
11-21-2008, 07:24
I'm sure I can find other ways to participate and just stay out of these discussions if they are to continue. I'm too involved in too much already.

That's a novel idea... stay out of the discussions you don't care to participate in and allow those that do the opportunity to discuss them in peace? What a concept!! :eek:

Gray Blazer
11-21-2008, 08:54
Are aetheists religious? Is atheism a religion?If you are not having a religious experience while hiking, why get upset when other people do?

BTW, VF, you're posting under the wrong name again. Does Wargy hike to maintain his hotness, also?

sheepdog
11-21-2008, 09:25
Well it was a good poll while it lasted. Thanks for the apology weary it takes a good man to do that. There were some very good thoughts expressed by many that I appreciate.

Sometimes I wonder about the anti-God people. If I see a topic that I don't like I just don't click on it. It seems anti-God people are atracted to it like a moth to a flame. Some seem to be really mad and want to express that anger, or they want to believe in God deep down and are hoping God's followers can convince them. For the anti-God people neither I nor anyone else can convince you that there is a God, though there is plenty of evidence. For the seekers, keep on praying to God to show you the way. He is faithful and he will, don't give up.

I sure would like to see more peace on the WB. God bless the seeker.
sheepdog

Alligator
11-21-2008, 09:59
This thread is getting cleaned up. I asked everyone to quit arguing about whether the poll should be here or not. I think I said this in the other thread, don't participate in the thread if its not a topic that appeals to you. Don't drag threads down.

This is how threads degenerate without moderation. You aren't all friends just busting on each other either.

Alligator
11-21-2008, 10:40
I'm going to merge the poll into the other thread and keep this one closed without merging in the posts from here. Feel free to pick up discussing the topic in the other thread but don't go back to the bickering that was going on here.