PDA

View Full Version : A New Beginning

Miss Janet
04-01-2004, 19:05
To all my wonderful friends:

It is with mixed emotions that I write this post, but after many sleepless nights, and after giving the matter much thought, I have reached a rather pivotal decision in my life.

I will be thru-hiking the Trail this year, and will be leaving from Springer next week. Regrettably, Miss Janet's House will be closing early this season, but will hopefully re-open at a future date. I'm sorry to disappoint so many people, but there are other fine accomodations for hikers in Erwin, including another excellent hostel located conveniently close to the A.T. Trailhead.

I understand that this decision will disappoint many of my friends, including the friends I haven't yet met, but my decision is final. So instead of trying to change my mind, I hope you can all wish me luck on this journey that I've been thinking about for so very long.

I hope to see many of you on the Trail this year, and am very excited about seeing you as a thru-hiker!

I love you all!

---Miss Janet

Footslogger
04-01-2004, 19:34
No mixed emotions on this end. That's great news there Miss Janet. Have the time of your life and keep an eye out for old Footslogger. You just never know when and where I might pop up. Sure hope you can get to Damascus for Trail Days. Will look forward to seeing you there and in the meantime here's wishing you all the best for a safe and wonderful hike.

'Slogger

Brushy Sage
04-01-2004, 20:52
Yahoo!! Go for it, Janet. It will truly change your life in ways no one can predict. What an adventure!

Jack Thomas

TJ aka Teej
04-01-2004, 21:01
I will be thru-hiking the Trail this year, and will be leaving from Springer next week.

Ha! Everybody knows it's April Fools Day! :D

Forrest Phil
04-01-2004, 21:02
I think this is awesome news Miss Janet. I look forward to seeing you up the trail. All the best on your adventure.

Forrest Phil

shades of blue
04-01-2004, 21:17
Miss Janet,
I hope you keep a journal on trailjournals.com I would love to follow your hike. I have never met you in person, but your reputation of kindness and generosity is famous. Have a super hike. Congratulations!

flyfisher
04-01-2004, 21:19
Wonderful news!

I only hope that you find at least a fraction of the friendship on the trail that you have given it over the last 10 years.

Sleepy the Arab
04-01-2004, 21:20
Am I the only one who remembered what day this is?

Nevertheless, if this is indeed bona fide, it's time for the dancing banana! :banana :banana :banana :banana

A-Train
04-01-2004, 21:37
Janet I was at your house last APRIL FOOLS

orangebug
04-01-2004, 21:41
What a wonderful decision. I hope and trust all will go well with your home in your absense. I know that you will have a great time and a great deal more insight to the struggles of those who hike and those who support hikers.

Take pictures and write a good journal. I hope to see you at the next SORUCK!

OrangeBug

flyfisher
04-01-2004, 21:43
:o

I admit that I have been duped.

I re-read the original post. And as for you, Miss Janet, you were the first to make it through my 1 April defenses. :o

Deerleg
04-01-2004, 22:13
:banana :clap :jump Good luck Miss Janet! Hope you are shown some of the magic :o you’ve given out. I enjoyed a visit with you in October 2002. Here is a pic(http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2959&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1) you took of me after the Apple Fest when you dropped me in Damascus for a section hike…I will be on the trail next week around Hot Springs. ....or ya got me!:rolleyes: :cool: :-? :D

Miss Janet
04-01-2004, 23:41
Actually Folks, My hike plans are the same as they always are. I hope to hike about 30 miles this year... a few miles at a time! The deal has always been that you guys do the long distance hiking... then tell me ALL ABOUT IT!!

Rumours like this get started when your friends really love you and find you whiteblaze account open!

The real New Beginning is for BJ. Some of you know that this is the traditional start date for Baltimore Jack's past hikes. This year he is not hiking. Most of you do not know that he will soon be having knee replacement surgery. Yes, Jack with GOOD KNEES!! I know, this is a scary thought. He will be flying uphills on his next 7 thruhikes... no more stumbles on the big downhills... no more bandages?? What will happen next!!

Sleepy the Arab
04-02-2004, 01:45
I'm sorry to disappoint so many people, but there are other fine accomodations for hikers in Erwin, including another excellent hostel located conveniently close to the A.T. Trailhead.

Bwah-hah-hah-hah hah hahahahahahahaha! (gasp, cough) Har har har har!

I'd have bought it lock, stock and barrel without that one line!

Lugnut
04-02-2004, 01:53
Actually Folks, My hike plans are the same as they always are. I hope to hike about 30 miles this year... a few miles at a time! The deal has always been that you guys do the long distance hiking... then tell me ALL ABOUT IT!!

Rumours like this get started when your friends really love you and find you whiteblaze account open!

The real New Beginning is for BJ. Some of you know that this is the traditional start date for Baltimore Jack's past hikes. This year he is not hiking. Most of you do not know that he will soon be having knee replacement surgery. Yes, Jack with GOOD KNEES!! I know, this is a scary thought. He will be flying uphills on his next 7 thruhikes... no more stumbles on the big downhills... no more bandages?? What will happen next!!

Remind me to sell my Duct Tape stock! :rolleyes:

Jaybird
04-02-2004, 06:35
To all my wonderful friends:

It is with mixed emotions that I write this post, ........
I will be thru-hiking the Trail this year, and will be leaving from Springer next week.........seeing you as a thru-hiker!I love you all!---Miss Janet

Good Luck with your hike Miss Janet!
Maybe we'll see you out there on the trail! .........i'll be the one carrying a 100lb backpack......:D

APRIL FOOL!

Brushy Sage
04-02-2004, 07:47
Good thing my son (Patco) told me about the April Fool nature of the announcement, or I would have been making journal entries in the shelters to inform north bounders. I'm so gullible!

A-Train
04-02-2004, 11:22
I would like to see the kind of Trail magic Miss Janet would recieve if she were to thru-hike. I envision hoards of people sitting at road crossings with bbqs, music, beverages and a cushy van! I could see her having groupies!

sloetoe
04-02-2004, 14:26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Janet
I'm sorry to disappoint so many people, but there are other fine accomodations for hikers in Erwin, including another excellent hostel located conveniently close to the A.T. Trailhead.

Bwah-hah-hah-hah hah hahahahahahahaha! (gasp, cough) Har har har har!

I'd have bought it lock, stock and barrel without that one line! End Quote.

Same here. I was along for the ride.
Then I read that and thought <cue Irish accent>
"OOOOhhhhhh, and I'll suppose he'll be doing your mail drops for ye too, will 'e?"

sogullibletoe

rusty from vermont
04-02-2004, 15:30
:jump [QUOTE=Miss Janet]To all my wonderful friends:

It is with mixed emotions that I write this post, but after many sleepless nights, and after giving the matter much thought, I have reached a rather pivotal decision in my life.

Hi Ms janet;

Love you. I laughed and laughed, suspoecting that you were joshing. rusty

firefly
04-02-2004, 16:23
Tooo Funny...you had me there... I did stop at that remark about that other place to stay and thought WHAT?? but then attributted that comment to your gracious ways. I started thinking about throwing you a big sendoff party up on Springer Mtn because everybody is going to show up there anyway. Then I realized I had been fooled...wheeeeee!!!!!

Footslogger
04-02-2004, 16:35
It's not nice to fool Footslogger ...

But I must admit, you did a great job of it !!

See you at Trail Days

Chappy
04-02-2004, 18:53
Ha! Everybody knows it's April Fools Day! :D

Before I read your edit I was going to compliment you guys from the North Woods for being so smart...after reading your edit I'm going to compliment you guys from the North Woods for being so sneaky! :D

Jack Tarlin
04-02-2004, 22:48
Well....Footslogger's gonna kill me. But he did kinda walk into it.

Yeah, seems Miss Janet left her Whiteblaze account open with her name on it; one thing led to another. Too much to resist, and it was, after all, April the First.

I announce with great regret she ain't hiking this year, but it wuz sure nice to see all you guys jump on board with the best wishes and all the Happy Horse patootie. Something to remember in case she actually decides to go out there one of these years................which I hope she does.

No big surprise that my man Sleepy picked up on things quick and checked the calendar, but then he's nobody's fool.

In any case, I'm writing from Erwin. Miss Janet's is Live and Kickin' for 2004 and I can't imagine why anyone would willingly stay anywhere else; (actually, as of tonight, I'm not sure anyone with any sense IS anywhere else, as there are a good many people here and nobody with any sense is staying anywhere BUT here); hope to see some of you guys in Hot Springs, Damascus, Harper's or somewhere down the line.

Funny thing about this post......today's the second of April; I left Springer a year ago today on my LAST thru-hike (and it was Janet who drove me to Springer by the way); feels very funny to not be hiking this time of year but I guess it's something to deal with later; very best wishes to those who ARE about to head out there, hope to see you guys somewhere this year.

steve hiker
04-02-2004, 23:55
Wait for the wagon
Wait for the wagon
Wait for the wagon and we'll have a christmas ride!

A-Train
04-03-2004, 00:02
I remember it like it was yesterday....

Janet dropped myself and a couple others off at Sams Gap on the way to dropping you at Springer on 4/1/03

orangebug
04-03-2004, 12:02
Lock, stock and barrel. I wondered about the comment on the other "excellent hostel" but assumed the best - or was that the worst?

But the worst was my wasting my first ever message here on Whiteblaze.net on a hoax. Shame on you, Baltimore Jack!

Bill....

Footslogger
04-03-2004, 13:25
[QUOTE=Jack Tarlin]Well....Footslogger's gonna kill me. But he did kinda walk into it.

I owe you one Jack ...

See you in Damascus, and who knows where else ...

'Slogger

minnesotasmith
11-16-2004, 17:46
Would somebody PLEASE tell me the name of it, so I can make sure not to have anything to do with it (including warning other hikers away from it)?

Lone Wolf
11-16-2004, 18:10
Nolichucky Hostel a.k.a. "Uncle Johnny's"

SalParadise
11-16-2004, 18:10
Won't bash any hostel here, but you'll hear plenty of stories about both that place and what a wonderful person Miss Janet is many many miles before you ever get to Erwin, don't worry.
Miss Janet, hope that DVD/VHS player is still working!