PDA

View Full Version : What gear are you asking for?

volleypc
11-19-2008, 19:58
With the next couple of weeks being 2 of the main shopping weeks, I am curious to know what everyone is asking for this year. My real reason for asking is that I have no idea what I want and I know my mom will want me to tell her something this weekend. So I figured I would just see what everyone else is getting to get some ideas.

Lone Wolf
11-19-2008, 20:02
asking for? :-? if i want something i get it

Blissful
11-19-2008, 20:10
I'd love a publisher to give me a contract on my AT book instead of sending me rejections. :)

Anyway, I have received a sleeping bag and my tarp tent in the past that were tougher for me to splurge on my own. The Christmas before my hike I also got a headlamp and a mail drop box once filled with food goodies that went in my mail drops.

mountain squid
11-19-2008, 20:12
Well, I'm not asking for anything...but, I would suggest to you to be as specific as possible as far as gear goes. If you just ask for a sleeping bag, you might not get exactly what you want. But since someone spent the time, energy and money getting you something, you might feel compelled to carry it (and a 4#, bulky sleeping bag, rated to 50F may not work for you...)Anyway, hope you get what you want/need.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

superman
11-19-2008, 20:26
I want a gift certificate for Apex Catering service to cater my next thru hike. Since I am among the worst trail cooks, it may even the playing field.:-?

Phreak
11-19-2008, 21:26
I'm getting myself a kayak for Xmas.

Egads
11-19-2008, 21:37
I'm getting myself a kayak for Xmas.

Need a new challenge?

bigmac_in
11-19-2008, 21:39
I'm with wolf on this one, I just buy what I want. I have a new bag and sleep pad on the way right now. Thinking about a new tent now.

Egads
11-19-2008, 21:41
I don't need any new gear. I'd like a Hilleberg Jannu, Soulo, or Unna, but very unlikely.

mudcap
11-19-2008, 21:42
I'm with wolf on this one, I just buy what I want. I have a new bag and sleep pad on the way right now. Thinking about a new tent now.
That sucks for you and the wolf. Some folks have people that love them and are willing to be generous...:D

Phreak
11-19-2008, 21:44
Need a new challenge?Just something different. :)

bigmac_in
11-19-2008, 21:45
That sucks for you and the wolf. Some folks have people that love them and are willing to be generous...:D

I guess that does suck for me (can't speak for wolf). I but I don't need people to buy me stuff. I know who loves me. ;) :D

Lone Wolf
11-19-2008, 21:45
I guess that does suck for me (can't speak for wolf). I but I don't need people to buy me stuff. I know who loves me. ;) :D

ditto

superman
11-19-2008, 21:59
All my friends and relatives are both funny looking and cheap. If I waited for them to buy me something I'd have a bunch of Coleman crap. I've considered trading in my family and friends for prostitutes. Cheap would be ok then.:D

mudcap
11-19-2008, 22:26
ditto
Thats cool guys,buy yourself some extras...:D

taildragger
11-19-2008, 22:30
I'll be asking for some Wassail by Full Sail

Blissful
11-19-2008, 23:04

There are people who genuinely like to buy things for others and to deprive them of that...well, you're a scrooge. :D

I love buying stuff for PB and my hubby. It's a lot of fun for me and it's stuff they will NOT get for themselves (and many times, they need it). As for me, I know they like getting me stuff, esp if I pick it out and tell them to wrap it up for me. :)

mtnkngxt
11-19-2008, 23:10
Bought what I wanted for xmas alot easier when your single and in college. The parents and grandparents got me a ENO singlenest on sale for 30 bucks back in Oct. and a OES McCat Tarp.

I bought myself a couple new stoves and some other odds and ends. After xmas I'll be picking up a JRB quilt and some new thermal layers for the Winter Hang.

bigmac_in
11-19-2008, 23:17
There are people who genuinely like to buy things for others and to deprive them of that...well, you're a scrooge. :D

I love buying stuff for PB and my hubby. It's a lot of fun for me and it's stuff they will NOT get for themselves (and many times, they need it). As for me, I know they like getting me stuff, esp if I pick it out and tell them to wrap it up for me. :)

Blissful - you have hurt my feelings. :D

If someone wants to give me something, that's fine. But I'm not asking. I'd rather give than receive anyway.

Mrs. Mac and I have asked people to give to charity what they would have given to us. Am I still a scrooge? :-?

Wags
11-19-2008, 23:44
i'm asking for a steripen and probably a canon powershot or similar camera

my family and gf will buy me other things if i don't give them a list of things i want, so why not ask for things i want instead of getting things i'd rather do w/o :D

KG4FAM
11-19-2008, 23:46
pentax w60

kayak karl
11-20-2008, 00:17
Now i say this is GEAR!

http://powersports.honda.com/assets/images/model/model_hero_shot/ATVs/2009/large/FourTrax_Rancher_AT.jpg
http://powersports.honda.com/images/spacer.gif 2009 FourTrax Rancher AT

It even has AT in the name:-? Santa can ride it to my house. I don't care:D

santa
11-20-2008, 02:36
Well considering my parents are divorced and remarried and both sets of grandparents are divorced and remarried.. I make bank on the holidays. So a gear update is in order!! lol

Ahh the benefits of growing up with a defunctional family. :rolleyes:

mudhead
11-20-2008, 06:39
Socks. I like socks.

mtnkngxt
11-20-2008, 07:14
I'm the poster child for dysfunctional families and for me christmas isn't about getting things. The 2 things I'll get are more than i need, and I would have bought them myself if my parents hadn't demanded knowing something. Christmas for me is about seeing family and just the season. Just my .02.:sun

Marta
11-20-2008, 07:58
Gift certificates rule!

That said, my husband and I coordinate our gifts to each other. (Last year it was a Svea 123R.) My parents will probably give us a case of wine. Not exactly hiking-related, but a nice thing to get. Oh, yeah, and my folks are taking me to Qatar and Istanbul in February (my brother is living in Qatar). My inlaws will donate to charity on our behalf. The thing I'm really looking forward to is having all my children and both of my parents together for a few days. Given my parents' age, I don't know how much longer that will be possible.

Ditto the recommendation to be specific. Better a gift certificate than a piece of junk gear. For the wanna-be hiker who has nothing (except a well-heeled family)--ULA pack, Western Mountaineering sleeping bag, Tarptent, Patagonia clothing, Antigravity Gear gift certificate, even REI would work because you can fill in the missing bits--headlamp, maps, sleeping pad, etc.

sheepdog
11-20-2008, 08:44
Sarbar's cookbook.
Kayak Karl, check out the Yamaha Grizzle....its powerful!!

Wonder
11-20-2008, 09:56
I'm a humbug........I only exchange with my parents. YEars of being a working musician and working retail have made me a bit bitter about the whole thing. Me, I'm actually hoping to volunteer that day for people who DO enjoy the holiday. But is someone's asking, I'd love some cordisone(how ever you spell it) shots so I don't feel my knees when I"m hiking!;)

Manwich
11-20-2008, 10:05
A Headlamp is a fine thing, Not too expensive and the buyer can be satisfied with the (seemingly dozens) of features a simple light has.

IceAge
11-20-2008, 11:04
Dear Santa: I have been reasonably good this year, well, at least I am improving! Please fill my stocking with a Thermarest ProLite 4 - regular length.

Yer pal, IceAge.

P.S. If you wanted to go in for half of a new o/u Benelli, that's cool too.

Dances with Mice
11-20-2008, 11:09
Kinda-sorta hiking related ... matter of fact it's seriously hiking related.

I asked for a fire rake (http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=1575) so I don't have to raid the Club's tool shed when I need one.

The glowing review was written by my AT section co-maintainer.

River Runner
11-21-2008, 01:32
Another humbug here. Our family got really tired of the whole gift buying chore and jointly decided to only have a single gift exchange for 3 generations, which we would do away with if it weren't for my Mom who loves Christmas presents. It had become just too much of a hassle with little joy for the effort. The 4th generation (my grandkids, 4, 2, & 1 & my grandneice, 1) get gifts from all.

We typically do donate to either the local Adopt-a-Family program, or Toys for Tots, or such.

It's amazing how much better the holiday season feels now that we:
1) don't have to worry about trying to find every one in the family something they will like.
2) don't have to pretend you really like the crappy gift you got from the person who never seems to be able to pick out a decent gift
3) don't have to pretend you like the decent gift that really just isn't your style
4) don't have to spend the days after Christmas exchanging (2) and (3).
5) if we really want something have the extra money to buy it because we didn't spend a fortune on (1)

It really is more about the people than the presents now.
Merry Christmas!

Wags
11-21-2008, 02:26
our family has quite a good time exchanging gifts. that's why christmas is phat. b/c you can celebrate however you want :D