PDA

View Full Version : Peanut butter in a tube

Gator 65
11-19-2008, 23:38
Can anyone tell me where I can find peanut butter in a tube. When I Google it all I get is a Skippy Comercial and I have checked Publix and Winn Dixie markets with no results.

Erin
11-20-2008, 00:24
Good question, Gator. We Mid-West hikers have noticed this also.
I used to see the Skippy tubes all over, and used them. Now, I can't find them either. Currently, our local markets carry" Jif to Go" in a little plastic container which contians a very large single portion and more than I need. It is heavier and there is more container to carry out. I would love to see the little tubes of PB again. Here in the Midwest we have Walmart, KMart, Price Cutter, and some non-national stores and and none of them carry the tubes anymore.

Lyle
11-20-2008, 00:55
Can anyone say "Gerry Food Tubes"?

Who else remembers those? Pain to fill, even bigger pain when the plastic clip came off.

Sounded like a good idea at the time... Wouldn't recommend as an alternative.

How bout these?

http://www.mothernature.com/Shop/Brands/index.cfm/b/13725

Texasgirl
11-20-2008, 00:58
Definitely a pain to fill. I got 2 of them sitting in my camping box cause I hated messing with them. I can't find the prepackaged either and now use the little Jiff tubs, even on just car trips to visit family or running events.

take-a-knee
11-20-2008, 06:19
Definitely a pain to fill. I got 2 of them sitting in my camping box cause I hated messing with them. I can't find the prepackaged either and now use the little Jiff tubs, even on just car trips to visit family or running events.

Those Jif tubs will introduce you to a cardiologist early in life, hydrogenated fats are a killer and non-natural peanut butter is about the best way to load up on it quickly. This is a much healthier alternative:

http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=8078

Tagless
11-20-2008, 06:49
I ordered a case of Jiffy Peanut Butter in a tube on Amazon.com. It's been several months, so I'm not sure about current availability.

Secret Squirrel
11-20-2008, 07:15
Yes, don't get those tubes that you can fill with peanut butter, honey, etc. The plastic clips will not stay on. The ones I tried were mader by Coleman, I believe. Further it is a pain to fill them to begin with. I'd rather just take a small jar of peanut butter.

Lone Wolf
11-20-2008, 07:25
I'd rather just take a small jar of peanut butter.

yup. it's the cheapest and most practical

Marta
11-20-2008, 07:40
yup. it's the cheapest and most practical

Ditto.

I have a small jar with a really good screw-on lid that I decant my pb into. (Necessary since I buy freshly-ground pb at Earth Fare in tubs that wouldn't work in a backpack.) Can be run through the dishwasher after the trip. The small plastic jars of commercial pb work well, too, but are sometimes hard to find. A lot of grocery stores only carry jumbo jars.

papa john
11-20-2008, 08:21
Is there a brand of natural that doesn't require refrigeration?

Mrs Baggins
11-20-2008, 08:46
Those Jif tubs will introduce you to a cardiologist early in life, hydrogenated fats are a killer and non-natural peanut butter is about the best way to load up on it quickly. This is a much healthier alternative:

http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=8078

This stuff contains palm oil........isn't that supposed to be very bad for you, too? :confused:

sheepdog
11-20-2008, 08:46
I just go for the 8oz jar of Jiff. It lasts about 6 days and is tasty.

papa john
11-20-2008, 08:51
This stuff contains palm oil........isn't that supposed to be very bad for you, too? :confused:
Here is an article that discusses palm oil.

http://everything2.com/e2node/Palm%2520oil

sheepdog
11-20-2008, 09:02
Jiff: Roasted peanuts, sugar, molasses, fully hydrogenated vegitable oils (rapeseed and soybean), mono and digglycerides, salt.
now that goodness.

TinAbbey
11-20-2008, 09:16
peanut butter can also be bought in 5 pound tubs!

sheepdog
11-20-2008, 09:23
peanut butter can also be bought in 5 pound tubs!
Now you're talking like a real hiker. :D

Marta
11-20-2008, 10:24

I've had bad luck with most natural peanut butters--most of the time they're already stale before you buy them. I'd rather eat the chemical miracle that is Skippy Superchunk than rancid "natural" pb.

Earth Fare's fresh-ground, though, is the best I've found yet.

lonehiker
11-20-2008, 11:30
About half of the time (during re-supply) I could find the small jars (8oz?) of peanut butter. So, I would just keep that jar and refill it from a larger jar. Then, when I could finally get the smaller jar again, I would throw out the older jar...etc etc.

Mrs Baggins
11-20-2008, 11:37
Here is an article that discusses palm oil.

http://everything2.com/e2node/Palm%2520oil

Okay - looks like this type ("organic") is fine to eat.

2009ThruHiker
11-20-2008, 12:15

smart balance omega natural peanut butter...i get mine at walmart

papa john
11-20-2008, 12:51

Thanks, I have seen that, I'll give it a try...

shelterbuilder
11-20-2008, 13:26

Who else remembers those? Pain to fill, even bigger pain when the plastic clip came off.

Sounded like a good idea at the time... Wouldn't recommend as an alternative....

Yes, but you must remember that, when Gerry first marketed these tubes, ALL peanut butter came in glass jars - peanut butter in plastic jars hadn't hit the market yet. The glass was heavy, and if you broke the jar - THEN you could talk about a REAL mess....

mudhead
11-20-2008, 14:59

Get a small one. I don't care for it, and I will eat anything.

OldStormcrow
11-20-2008, 15:09

Sounded like a good idea at the time... Wouldn't recommend as an alternative.

How bout these?

http://www.mothernature.com/Shop/Brands/index.cfm/b/13725 Oh yeah man, I remember those from, like, 1974. Eating like the astronauts. Dude, what a flashback!

take-a-knee
11-20-2008, 19:12

It is a saturated oil, as such it should be factored into your total fat consumption and minimized, that is small amounts (?) are not likely to have untoward effects. Hydrogenated fats (transfats) should be avoided if at all possible, that is consume none at all. Hydrogenated fats are quite rare in nature and our bodies are not equipped to deal with them.

Blissful
11-20-2008, 19:16
We used bullion containers to carry ours. We tried using one of those tubes things (in the camping sections) you can put stuff like peanut butter into but it broke in no time.

JDCool1
11-20-2008, 19:43
Justin Nut Butters out of Boulder, listed above, is something to consider. I have used them. Come in single servings.

Panzer1
11-20-2008, 19:54
Peanut butter in a tube: REI.com

http://www.rei.com/search?query=squeeze+tube&button.x=13&button.y=7

Panzer

sarbar
11-23-2008, 23:22
I never frig my PB and all we eat is natural (and organic). Then again we go through it fast. Hate hard PB! Growing up all we had was Adams PB and not once did it ever go in the fridge - and my mom bought the massive pails of it. :eek:

sarbar
11-23-2008, 23:25
As for packets, Justin's is the best out there. Very, very tasty.
Personally though, if you plan on eating a lot of PB, just carry a 18 ounce jar. You'll go through it fast enough.
Tip: never, ever double dip. Keep your saliva out of it and it won't go bad. Your drool though can make PB get funky fast - in a bad way.

papa john
11-23-2008, 23:43
I never frig my PB and all we eat is natural (and organic). Then again we go through it fast. Hate hard PB! Growing up all we had was Adams PB and not once did it ever go in the fridge - and my mom bought the massive pails of it. :eek:

I'll have to try that. We go through a jar pretty fast. I'm sure you know that you can microwave the PB and it will soften up nicely.
Do you know if Justin's comes in anything other than the foil packs?

From the Smuckers website:

Q. Do I have to refrigerate Smucker's peanut butter?

A. The food items we produce are classified as non-perishable. Refrigeration is not necessary, although it does slow down the oil-separation process.

sarbar
11-24-2008, 12:24
The whole "keep refrigerated" concept is pretty new - for those of us who were kids before say, 1990, probably remember quite a bit of stuff left in the cupboard compared to nowadays.
One question I see asked every once in awhile is about olive oil and or other vegetable oil surviving on the trail - and you have to say: Yes! It isn't going to go bad fast - it may go stale over 6 months, but that won't be an issue - you'll be eating it.
Shelf stable Parmesan cheese is another - it can go bad faster being stored in the chill chest. It gets exposed to humidity in there.
I once had a person tell me that vinegar should be frigged. Banging head.

Many companies slap the "refrigerate after opening" on products to just be safe.

But yes, on PB, keeping it cold does keep it mixed up. Yet, the softness and spreadibilty is what makes it good!

On the other hand, Nutella tells you to NOT keep their stuff cold :D See! Perfect trail food! :D

mkmangold
11-25-2008, 01:39
I just carry Peanut butter powder. If I just want the taste, I add it to whatever as is. If I want something like peanut butter, I mix it with water (for fewer calories) or with olive oil (for the energy).

Newb
11-25-2008, 09:24
I use the MRE peanut butter packs. They have the dreaded Hydrogenated oil, but are also 260 calories per pack.
http://www7.mailordercentral.com/longlifefood/prodinfo.asp?number=P5001&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=22

Tipi Walter
11-25-2008, 09:33
There are several brands of natural peanut butter, you don't have to go with the usual hydrogenated crap so prevalent in the stores with a shelf life of 10 years. There's also almond butter and the best, cashew butter. All excellent trail foods, especially when mixed with honey or rice syrup with carob powder. In fact, if you can mix up a batch of peanut butter with honey and some carob powder(or chocolate powder), it will stick together well and not be so greasy and can be double ziploc-ed with no leakage.

On the other hand, there's a nice wide mouthed Nalgene lexan container that will hold 8 ozs of whatever, mayonnaise or peanut butter. It doesn't leak. Another thing you can do if you like peanut is to make a bunch of peanut butter sandwiches(maybe throw on some jam), ziploc the things and you have both your peanut butter and your bread. Make two a day and for 6 days you've got about 10 ready-made sandwiches.

Tagless
11-25-2008, 10:34
In an earlier post I said...

I ordered a case of Jiffy Peanut Butter in a tube on Amazon.com. It's been several months, so I'm not sure about current availability.

This should have read Skippy Peanut Butter in a tube.

I purchased these thinking there might be a weight savings. There isn't any. Two nine-ounce Skippy tubes weight exactly the same as a plastic jar with an equivalent amount of PB. As many have advised in earlier posts - no need to mess with PB tubes.

Bare Bear
11-28-2008, 22:29
Some outfitters have the refill tubes but what a pain that must be. What is wrong with carrying one of the small jars of whatever brand you like best?

girl81
07-02-2009, 05:16
What about this...(???)....
Spoon pb into a ziplock bag (grease spoon to make it easier.)
Seal bag. Enclose in a bigger ziplock.
When ready, take out inner bag of pb, snip corner, use as much as needed, twisty tie the snipped corner, put back into bigger ziplock in case twisty tie doesn't hold.

Could that work? I'm new to thru hiking.

World-Wide
07-02-2009, 05:25
When ready, take out inner bag of pb, snip corner, use as much as needed, twisty tie the snipped corner, put back into bigger ziplock in case twisty tie doesn't hold.

That's thinking outside the tube girl81!! I wouldn't see why it won't work! Great suggestion! :D W-W

Lone Wolf
07-02-2009, 05:52

how about just unscrewing the lightweight plastic jar it comes in and use your spoon? so simple, no?

daddytwosticks
07-02-2009, 07:39
Girl81's idea is a great one...I used this method once on a short overnighter when I only needed a few tablespoons of PB. Now I take the smaller disposable tubs of Jiff. :)

Lyle
07-02-2009, 08:28

Peanut butter is oily stuff. I would be afraid that 1) a ziplock would not fully contain the stuff and 2) that a twist-tie certainly would not contain it.

That was one of the problems with the Gerry tubes, the clips wouldn't necessarily break, but they would slide off because of the oil.

But hey, give it a try. I would just triple or quadruple bag it for the first few times at least. For myself, I agree with LW, the small plastic jars are completely adequate and proven. If it ain't broke...

Doctari
07-02-2009, 09:45

Per the Discovery channel "How it's made" Peanut butter keeps without preservatives or refrigeration if unopened. & my experience, a average jar of PB (18 OZ?) lasts me about 5 days on trail, much less than the time I figure it would take to spoil. The Hydoroginated oil that is added to most commercial PBs is only to keep the oil from seperating. Also per H.I.M., the natural stuff is fine, it just needs to be stirred before use, each tme, to mix the seperated peanut oil back in. Also noted was that Hydoroginated oil was 80% Good Cholesterol, & 20% Bad.

I have not seen the Skippy in a tube in years. I got it one time & HATED the taste. It was also hard to get the last bit (about 1 sandwich worth) of butter out of the tube* without cutting the tube open. I carry a small plastic jar now.

*I was testing, squeezed it into the compost pile after the first taste.

mikeal
07-03-2009, 15:10
I happened across single serve packs of Justin's peanut butter the other day in Toys 'R Us. They were buy one get one free.