PDA

View Full Version : Most Awesome Place

Aesop
04-01-2004, 20:48
I am planning section hikes for the next year and I'm hoping that everyone will share their most favorite, most beautiful, most awe inspiring place (for whatever reason that suits them) and say what it is that makes this place so important...special...magnificent to them.
I hiked McAfee Knob two weekends ago, and stood upon that huge outcrop of rock, and thought it the most incredible view I'd ever been a part of. It was a furious wind storm all night and that morning too, and I had to hold on to the rock to keep my balance. My dogs claws was clenching the rock! The sun was casting shadows behind clouds that traveled along the neighboring mountains and as far as I could see (north, I think) land stretched out. Unforgetable!
Thanks for all your suggestions in advance!

Patco
04-01-2004, 22:21
You have 2 wonderful areas within a 4 or 5 hour drive for great section hikes.

1. Mount Rogers National Recreation Area in southwest VA. Take I-40 to HWY 52 N from Winston-Salem, then I-77 up to Hillsville and US 58 west to 16 north to Troutdale.
Open areas, high elevation, great scenery, great access. (very good loop capabilities too using the old AT, the Iron Mountain Trail)

2. Roan Mountain and the Hump Balds. I-40 west to Wiston-Salem, then Hwy 421 to Boone, and smaller roads to 19E (but don't park at that trail head) or navigate to Erwin, TN and use shuttles (like Miss Janet who will still be in business after 1 APR 04). Also high elevations, good shelter spacing, plenty of open areas and scenery. Not familiar with any loop trails around there ... just linear hikes on AT.

Deerleg
04-01-2004, 22:41
If you can make it up to New England you got to see the Whites…the Franconia Ridge is considered one of the crown jewels of the AT. This link has more info; http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/franconia.html#LincLaf (http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/franconia.html#LincLaf)
I hiked it in October 98 on an incredibly crystal clear day, windy and cold, but the most vibrant blue sky I’ve ever seen! Glorious! :rolleyes:

Jimbo0104
04-01-2004, 22:46
My two favorites also have to be Grayson Highlands and Roan... I could be somewhat partial to roan though...

lemons
04-02-2004, 01:27
I'm still in debate as to the name of my favorite place. In the 04 Data Book I think it's around Big Cedar Mountain, GA (pg. 72). Someone else called it Preacher's Rock I think. No matter what the name is, it's a humbling view! There are so many other mountain tops stretching as far you can see. The rock is large enough for 25 or so hikers to stretch out on, but it drops after the rock ends. Just a really beautiful spot!!
Also a good (weekend) section hike because in two days you can sleep in the new Gooch Mountain Shelter (lofts and everything :) ), hike north through the "windest place on earth" (Woody Gap) according to some thru hikers this year, get challenged by the ascent to the rock, be rewarded by the beautiful view, hike some more, camp, then the next morning hike to Blood Mountain, enjoy a few spectacular views, start downhill, give praise that you didn't have to climb this side of the mountain, trip on a rock, curse that you have to crawl down this side, and then be rewarded by surviving to visit the Walasi-Yi Center with convienent parking at US 19/129. Only a 16 mile stretch, but it sure is pretty.

Jaybird
04-02-2004, 06:42
I am planning section hikes for the next year and I'm hoping that everyone will share their most favorite, most beautiful, most awe inspiring place (for whatever reason that suits them) and say what it is that makes this place so important...special...magnificent to them..................... Thanks for all your suggestions in advance!

Aesop:

there are many AWESOME views on or along the trail.....i section hike twice a year & have found my favorite section (SO FAR) is the "Roan Mtn area" to "the HUMPS".

BUT, i've also found that hiker's favorite spots are as varied as they are...
for example:...loads of folks enjoy the view from Wayah Bald & the historic firetower....it was socked in with fog when Jigsaw & I hiked past in April 2003....so, obviously it doesnt hold any great memories for us....

Roan High Bald (for the 360 degree views) is one of my favorites....(i've hiked there 4 or 5 times) but some that only pass thru once...might remember it as a rain-soaked, foggy, cloudy peak (seeing nothing because of low hanging clouds)...so, i guess it's all in perspective & timing....hehehehehe :D

Aesop
04-02-2004, 07:52
I do love Mt. Rogers! Also hoping to get feedback on areas north of NC--Mt. Graylock?, Susquehanna area, New England states, Northern Virginia and Pennsyvania. I'm taking dogs, but they are strong enough for rocks and such. Looking for pretty water-type sites too, like streams, ponds, rivers, that kind of thing? :-?

Aesop
04-02-2004, 08:52
If you can make it up to New England you got to see the Whites…the Franconia Ridge is considered one of the crown jewels of the AT. This link has more info; http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/franconia.html#LincLaf (http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/franconia.html#LincLaf)
I hiked it in October 98 on an incredibly crystal clear day, windy and cold, but the most vibrant blue sky I’ve ever seen! Glorious! :rolleyes:
Deerleg: Have you hiked Mt. Isolation?

Smooth03
04-07-2004, 00:43
Well most have suggested Mt Rogers NRA and Overmountain/Hump Mountain area, which I also highly reccomend. In terms of up north, if your looking for "spectacular", I'd suggest New Hampshire, Maine, and maybe even southern Mass(although not spectacular but more views than Vermont). Under no circumstance should you go to PA. Obviously I'm kidding, but its honestly not that great. Rocks aren't as bad as they say, but its fairly boring hiking. New York and New Jersey don't have much "exciting" stuff so New Hampshire or Maine are the places to be.

I do love Mt. Rogers! Also hoping to get feedback on areas north of NC--Mt. Graylock?, Susquehanna area, New England states, Northern Virginia and Pennsyvania. I'm taking dogs, but they are strong enough for rocks and such. Looking for pretty water-type sites too, like streams, ponds, rivers, that kind of thing? :-?