PDA

View Full Version : Weight factor of Overnight System?

SunnyWalker
11-20-2008, 15:55
I first tried a Hennesee Hammock cuz I thought the comfort factor would be great and WEIGHT factor. But with underpads still needed, and etc., I ahve a question. Please help!

Not counting a sleeping bag what system is going to be lighter in the end? Here are the choices:

SunnyWalker
11-20-2008, 15:58
Sorry, hit a wrong button. Here are the choices:
1) tarp, Big Agnes, ground cloth/footprint
2) Hammock with tarp, pad, total system
3) tarp, ground cloth, Big Agnes.
-I think the 3rd one will be the lightest, though not the most comfy.

iesman69
11-20-2008, 16:00
Aren't #1 and #3 the same thing?

Deerleg
11-20-2008, 20:41
The tarp set up is pretty light weight, but I now factor in that I don't use a sleeping bag any longer because my sleep system (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23807&catid=member&imageuser=2895)consists of a down under and over-quilt, the net effect is I sleep off the ground (which my cranky back prefers), and the total system is a little lighter and everything fits into the stuff sack I uses to carry my sleeping bag in. The hammock is a bit more technical and as many have mentioned seems to take more of a learning curve. I’ve been fooling around with it for few years now and it defiantly took a little experimenting before I shaved the weight and enjoyed the overall benefits. If you’re not ready to invest in the quilts the tarp is a very good system too and will probably be lighter with a sleeping bag.

JaxHiker
11-20-2008, 22:03
Like deerleg I think you'll save a lot of weight using an under/overquilt as opposed to the sleeping bag. I haven't tried sleeping with a pad. I put one in my JRB WeatherShield and it was too heavy. We've finally got some freezing temps here so I'll be trying out some different options.

I'll be ordering some silnylon this week along with ClimaShield to make a DIY underquilt. Still not sure if I want 2.5 or 5 oz CS though.

SteveJ
11-20-2008, 22:59
2 factors that must be considered: what temps are you camping in and how comfortable are you on the ground.

If you're camping in cold weather, you'll probably have to carry a little more under-padding than you'd carry if you were camping on the ground to hang in a hammock (this is balanced by the fact that you can carry a lightweight quilt rather than a full sleeping bag). If not, you can sleep in a hammock without any padding (I go down to about 65 degrees without padding).

If you can lay on the ground without any padding, and you are camping below 65 degrees, then the tarp setup will almost definitely be lighter.

Personally, I can't sleep on the ground without padding (2.5" at least) and I am willing to carry up to several pounds more for the comfort of hanging.

My setup for 40 - 60 degrees:
HH: 32 oz
27" wide ccf pad: 10 oz
homemade down quilt: 20 oz.

Below 40 degrees, I'll add additional clothing / padding as the temps dictate. I've been on a weekend trip, hanging, in the low teens with 40 mph winds, with a total pack weight of about 25 lbs. (2 qts water and food) and slept toasty warm.

SunnyWalker
11-21-2008, 00:41
Sorry, that should be:1)

SunnyWalker
11-21-2008, 00:42
Oh, man, I'm really hitting wrong buttons here. Here's last try:
1)

SunnyWalker
11-21-2008, 00:43
1) tent, footprint, big agnes
2) hammock, pad, total system
3) tarp, footpring, big agnes
-There finally got it! sorry.

SunnyWalker
11-21-2008, 00:46
I am cold sleeper so that is why I have carried so much stuff to insulate myself underneath. Looks like I need to study this out some more and practice. I had wanted to use it year round (cold to warm). I might end up using it only in warm weather.

Egads
11-21-2008, 07:57
Your lightest setup will be a tarp, ground cloth, pad, & quilt. You probably aren't ready for it if you don't know it.

Adding a hammock will add comfort and about 12 oz in summer, and ~26 oz minimum in winter when adding the extra pad/underquilt

Unless you are hiking over >20 mpd, go with comfort; not minimum weight

SunnyWalker
11-24-2008, 00:24
Thanks for the input. Am planning a SOBO hike on AT. I have a HH. Will start looking at the quilts and all. I read about some of that and just figured all that would up my weight to where it was with tent, groundcloth, sleeping pad. I am really interested in tarping and using a Big Agnes. comfort factor of the HH though sure is great. I don't think I will ever average over 20 mpd!

KG4FAM
11-24-2008, 00:42
Thanks for the input. Am planning a SOBO hike on AT. I have a HH. Will start looking at the quilts and all. I read about some of that and just figured all that would up my weight to where it was with tent, groundcloth, sleeping pad. I am really interested in tarping and using a Big Agnes. comfort factor of the HH though sure is great. I don't think I will ever average over 20 mpd!You are going to need some sort of bug enclosure when you start up north or you will go crazy. Hammocks are the best thing for Maine in the summer time. There is not that much flat ground where you can just pull off and make camp where ever there is a gap or mountain top like in the south, but plenty of trees. Also since they don't have much real dirt (just a thin layer of organic matter in lots of places) up there the water doesn't soak in as in the south and even if you find a nice spot for a tent it can flood up real easy with a good rain. Bugs wern't bag this year and stayed in a number of shelters, but when I was up there in 06 I used my hammock almost all the time.

Red Hat
11-24-2008, 14:06
You are going to need some sort of bug enclosure when you start up north or you will go crazy. Hammocks are the best thing for Maine in the summer time. There is not that much flat ground where you can just pull off and make camp where ever there is a gap or mountain top like in the south, but plenty of trees. Also since they don't have much real dirt (just a thin layer of organic matter in lots of places) up there the water doesn't soak in as in the south and even if you find a nice spot for a tent it can flood up real easy with a good rain. Bugs wern't bag this year and stayed in a number of shelters, but when I was up there in 06 I used my hammock almost all the time.

You said it! I spent several nights lopsided in a tent because I hike slow and all the flat tent spots were taken between other the AT thruhikers and the Canadian Campers... It got pretty miserable (not) sleeping slanted in the rain, trying to stay dry!

Just Jeff
11-28-2008, 07:21
Check here for some real-world weight comparisons of hammock and ground systems...might answer some of your questions on the trade-offs for weights, based on what people actually use rather than what's advertised. A little dated, though.
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockGroundWeights.html

Jim Adams
11-28-2008, 08:14
I use a tarp, a tyvek ground cloth, a therm-a-rest and a quilt. I vary the thicknest of the pad that I take according to the season and temps. I make my quilts from sleeping bags and vary them as well---50*, 32*, 0*. With this system I lay directly on the pad and pull / tuck the quilt in around me. With all of the variables I am good from 70* down to about -5* sleeping in mid weight smartwool and micro fleece. My heaviest winter set up is 2" therm-a-rest-2lbs, 0* quilt-2lbs. 2oz, 10' x 10' silnylon tarp-16 oz. and a 7' x 5' piece of tyvek-6 oz. for a total winter weight of 5lb. 8oz. for shelter and sleep system. My 50* system substitutes a 1lb. 4oz. therm-a-rest and my quilt is only 12oz.
I use deet for bugs and on 2 complete thru hikes have only used it a total of 3 times BUT I was NOBO both times. I've dealt with bugs in northern Canada and know what that problem is like. I think that I would definitely carry some type of screen if I went SOBO at least thru New England.
What ever you choose be aware that the biggest problem with thru hiking is mental...Definitely follow Egads advice to always lean toward the side of comfort...why add another problem?

geek