PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable Thermarest (Military Surplus)

Manwich
11-20-2008, 16:06
I don't see a lot of people hiking with the Self-Inflating Thermarests (maybe its just my circles of friends?) but I absolutely love my thermarest.

I got it from eBay for $10 (+$5 shipping,) You can currently get it for about $23 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ARMY-SURPLUS-SELF-INFLATING-CAMPING-SLEEPING-PAD-MAT_W0QQitemZ390002688986QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item390002688986&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318) from this guy. It measures 20"x72" and weighs 26oz. It's printed right into the fabric that it's made by Thermarest, Under contract with the US Military, and it has an NSN number.

I fold it in half lengthwise then roll it all the way up, it's slightly bigger than the size of my head (as seen here, top of pack, behind my head (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=29500&original=1&c=531).)

Are other pads comfier? I fold the Top-1/3rd over the Middle-1/3rd to double up on the upper-body softness (I sleep on my side 100% of the time) and my feet are on the ground (I sleep with cold feet) and I find this to be perfect, But I've never tried the other stuffs (other than that blue foam padding, which sucked.

Are the Closed Cell Foam Pads Lighter? Have I just happened on a combo that works for me?

Thoughts / Opinions are :welcomed

sheepdog
11-20-2008, 16:33
I've used a thermarest for years and lots of people I know use them. I have never seen them that cheep though. Good site.

Manwich
11-20-2008, 17:10
They're never advertised as the Thermarest brand, I find them using the NSN number, Otherwise there'd be a $20+ markup... And they only come in Olive Drab

And I suppose a lot of people are put off by the fact it says "Military Surplus," but lets face it, you're sleeping on it, not making out with it, you've got worse funks to worry about then what your back is pressed against (through a sleeping bag most times, too)

TomWc
11-20-2008, 17:11
If it's really only 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick like on the listing, then it's thinner than most other self inflating pads. I have 1.0 and 2.0 inch pads, the 2 is noticeably more comfortable but not that much heavier.

If it works for you, great. awesome deal.

garlic08
11-20-2008, 17:19
When I started my long-distance hiking career on the PCT, I saw very few inflatable pads. One good reason was durability, especially in the desert. I just got used to a Z-rest (closed cell) and really came to appreciate its durability and reliability. They can be trimmed down to torso size, too, and can easily get as light as 6 oz, a real plus for ultralight hikers. I sold my Thermarest, not light enough or reliable enough for me anymore. On the AT, I saw quite a few inflatable pads, at least with section hikers.

Manwich
11-20-2008, 17:21
If it's really only 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick like on the listing, then it's thinner than most other self inflating pads.

It self-inflates to that thickness. Mine inflates to an Inch thick when I force-blow into it, and like I said, I fold the top 1/3rd over so I have 2" thick at my upper body, 1" thick at my waist and nadda for my feetses

Reid
11-20-2008, 23:04
Shouldn't I be able to pick up one of these at army/navy store? I've never seen inflatables at my local store. Thanks for the link!

KG4FAM
11-20-2008, 23:30
The army inflatables have a good chance of being overinflated many times from people blowing them up. The one they gave me had bubbles all over it where the fabric came apart from the foam. I would have rather had a CCF pad.