PDA

View Full Version : Question about trail just past Iron Bridge, CT

Manwich
11-20-2008, 19:08
I've got two sources that have conflicting information...

On this page (http://thetrailwiki.org/Iron_Bridge_Reroute_Question), The Maroon Line represents the ESRI Data on the AT's Path. The Blue Line Represents the USGS Data on the AT's Path.

Just wondering which one is more recent, Any recent hikers go up Mount Prospect and Racoon Hill, or did you walk along SugarHill Road and pass the Limestone Spring Shelter. What do the NatGeo Maps Say? ATC? Guidebooks?

Manwich
11-20-2008, 19:16
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/9/0/8/7/untitled-2.jpg

Grampie
11-21-2008, 09:59
The red trail is the AT. The blue trail is just that a blue blaze to the shelter. It's a lot easier to go to the shelter by the blue blaze. A lot of it is a road walk. The blue blazed trail allowes you to get to the shelter without having to go down a steep rocky section.

gsingjane
11-21-2008, 10:23
This is one of my favorite places to lead groups. The last time I was there, late October, the AT was in the same place as it has been for the last 5 years (i.e., the red line on your map). The AT winds through a very pretty meadow after it leaves Great Falls, and the climb up Mt. Prospect is gradual and fairly easy. There's a nice winter view off the top, too.

You climb down some steep rocks to get to the site (that's one reason I like it for groups, it's off the beaten path) but, one way or another, when you get back on the trail, you've got to climb back up them again.

I don't think there's any reason at all to bypass the AT at this point. If I can take a bunch of beginner Girl Scouts out and they can do it, you can too!

Jane in CT

Lauriep
11-26-2008, 14:55
The following comes from Adam Brown, ATC's Conservation Resources Manager out of our Massachusetts regional office:

"If a hiker has recent A.T. maps, then both of these routes will be obvious (the red is the current A.T.). On the A.T. map, it shows Sugar Hill Rd ending, but it really continues as a dirt/gravel 1-lane. Park at the gravel pull out, respect the private property signs, and continue down maybe ¼ mile until you see the blue blaze trail diverging to the right which is the back way into Limestone Spring shelter."

Laurie Potteiger
ATC Information Services Manager

rafe
11-26-2008, 15:47
Your topo map shows a steep hill between the AT and the shelter. That hill is for real. It's a fairly strenuous 10-15 minute descent from the AT to the shelter. But it's a nice site (gobs of camping area) and there's a healthy spring right next to the shelter. It's one of those shelter/campsites that hard-core thru hikers in a hurry are likely to pass up. Walk another few miles north and it's an easy walk/hitch into Salisbury.