PDA

View Full Version : Gear List for winter NOBO thru

kayak karl
11-20-2008, 20:17
This is my gear list for 1/1/09 NOBO. this is a copy of column 2 from an Excel Workbook. i included the file "geartemplate2.xls" and it may make more sense out of the list and links are included. the (not carrying) are things i have for mail drops as the seasons change

AT Hike

CLOTHING
Men's New Balance MO1201 (not carrying)
New Balance all terrain "83"
The North Face 700 Bootie (worth the weight)
(2)Terramar® Body Sensors®
Smartwool
Smartwool
Terramar Silk EC2 Underwear Crewneck
Terramar Silk EC2 Underwear Pants
Terramar Silk EC2 Underwear Crewneck (nite)
Terramar Silk EC2 Underwear Pants (nite)
Army Wool Glove Liners
Sierra Designs Men's Drizone Packable Mitt
Mist Overmitt
Undecided on long sleeve shirt (fleece or wool)
Terramar Thermasilk Balaclava
Patagonia Down Sweater
Mountain Hardware Men's Epic Jacket
Thunderhead Rain Pants
Silk w/ Dragons and Palm trees on it
Undecided on long sleeve shirt (fleece or wool)
Convertible Pants
Foam Towel
red bandana
yellow bandana

SHELTER & SLEEPING
EXPLORER UL A-SYM w/zip mod 2/ NO-tarp
JRB 11'x 10' tarp w/8 gutter spikes & line set
Jacks ‘R’ Better Mt. Washington under quilt
GoLite Adrenaline 0° Long /DIY Quilt
Down 20° From Campmor (not carrying)
Down Anges 40°(not carrying)
JRB Nest(not carrying)
JRB Lg compression sacks (2 free with quilts)

COOKING & FOOD
Denatured Alcohol / vodka pint flask
Bic

Caldera Kitchen Total weight 14 oz
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
Cup.pour.ri One-Cup Coffee Steeper

Saywer 120
Homemade from Wal-mart bag
(2) Platypus 1 Liter Water Bottle
Gatoraid bottle 32 fl oz
Stuff Sack
50 ft. or para cord

NAVIGATION
Suunto A-10 Compass
S.P.O.T. Was bought for me and asked to carry

Key chain thermometer
ATC Map Bundle / 7 maildrops
Appalachian Pages/ riped into 6 section
3.5-5" tablet
pencil and pen
UK Vizion Headlamp
2 Lithium AA/ 2 Lithium AAA
Plus 250

PACKING & CARRYING
Katahdin Equinox Ultralite
JRB Blaze orange
3 mil trash bag
3 2 qt freezer bags

SNOW/ICE
CMI Instep Crampon (not carrying)
Yaktrax Walkers
Mountain Hardwear Men's Defiant Pants (not carrying)

ESSENTIALS & SUNDRIES
Misc DIY /stupid crap for the stupid thinks I do
Similar but with knife and flint sriker
Gerber Shortcut

DIY mirror stick on repair kit left over

Just real cool white rape around rad sun glasses
Chapstick
100% Deet
PACERPOLE CARBON 3 SECTION
TP
Tooth brush
Baking Soda:soap, deoderant, tooth paste, etc

MISCELANEOUS
Canon Powershot A530 w/ 10 G memory
Plastic tripod from Cowtown Flea Market
Duct- tape, dental floss, needle, superglue
Moto-Q w/broadband + Charger for Battery only
a deck of cards and three coins
Undecided (but not War and Peace )
DIY Wallet/ ID Debit

The second geartemplate is the original i downloaded from a site ?? i would like to give him credit. if you know where i got it please post. TY

JAK
11-20-2008, 20:50
If you were to put on all your clothing for the coldest conditions,
how much weight that would add up to, and what would the clo or tog value be?

When I am deciding what to bring I like to choose my layers to optimize for the coldest I might get, imagining myself on a long slow trudge in the worst weather on record for that month of the year. I don't bring any more than that. Then I delayer from there for the stuff I will actually be hiking in 90% of the time. Might be 4 layers in winter. 1 of those layers might be help in reserve and never used if the worst weather doesn't materialize, which usually it doesn't. I used to hike with spare clothes but they just get wet and stay that way, and so they stay drier if I keep working with the same set. I do bring extra socks, 3 or 4 pair in total. In winter I'm usually wearing two pair, and carrying a wet pair and a dry pair, and wonder why I brought the extra wet pair. :)

kayak karl
11-20-2008, 21:06
If you were to put on all your clothing for the coldest conditions,
how much weight that would add up to, and what would the clo or tog value be?

When I am deciding what to bring I like to choose my layers to optimize for the coldest I might get, imagining myself on a long slow trudge in the worst weather on record for that month of the year. I don't bring any more than that. Then I delayer from there for the stuff I will actually be hiking in 90% of the time. Might be 4 layers in winter. 1 of those layers might be help in reserve and never used if the worst weather doesn't materialize, which usually it doesn't. I used to hike with spare clothes but they just get wet and stay that way, and so they stay drier if I keep working with the same set. I do bring extra socks, 3 or 4 pair in total. In winter I'm usually wearing two pair, and carrying a wet pair and a dry pair, and wonder why I brought the extra wet pair. :)
i dont know the textile R factor of the clothing. put i do layer, but i do not sleep in day clothes (extra pair of baselayer). you posted before about a long sleeve fleece or wool? you ware as a staple. that one shirt you add to as it gets colder. what would you suggest for that?

John B
11-21-2008, 08:30
I think that I'd definitely ditch the Deet until late spring.

"Silk w/Dragons and Palm Trees"??? A shirt? Going to be hitting up babes at a bowling alley? :D

Can you fill a Gatorade with hot water without the bottle distorting? If not, I'd consider hauling a Nalgene until spring.

kayak karl
11-21-2008, 08:50
I think that I'd definitely ditch the Deet until late spring.

"Silk w/Dragons and Palm Trees"??? A shirt? Going to be hitting up babes at a bowling alley? :D

Can you fill a Gatorade with hot water without the bottle distorting? If not, I'd consider hauling a Nalgene until spring.
Your right, maildrop deet or buy
the shirt works great in Springfield when i go see Jerry Blavat -- 'The Geator with the Heater'
ill do some tests on the Gatorade bottles, thanks, good point

John B
11-21-2008, 10:38
One more comment and I"ll shut up.

"Undecided on long sleeve shirt (fleece or wool)" If you mean a regular wool shirt, then I'd definitely vote for the fleece. You can't wash wool in hot water and you definitely can't dry it in a dryer on normal heat, so unless you want to spend a lot of time in the laundry or risk having a shirt that would fit a kid, then fleece might be the way to go for simple ease of care.

Does everything fit along with a couple days food in a 3300 pack? Let us know the final pack weight when everything's finalized.

The only thing 50' of para cord did for me was provide some amusement from untangling. I've never found a need for more than 30'.

I'd suggest taking a multivitamin everyday and 81mg aspirin.

The Timex Explorer is a good hiking watch -- compass, lights up well at night with a push of a button, easy to program alarm, etc -- and all for about $30

I retire in Nov 2012 and also intend to try a thru starting in early January. I'm following your trip with great interest and will probably bug the s*** out of you with a few stupid questions along the way. The gear list looks great. Hope you have a great trip.

Manwich
11-21-2008, 11:07
The North Face 700 Bootie - Cost: $20

Where did you get them for $20? Lowest on ebay is $40

kayak karl
11-21-2008, 18:55
The North Face 700 Bootie - Cost: $20

Where did you get them for $20? Lowest on ebay is $40

http://www.themountainhideaway.com/store/ they had a clearance :)