PDA

View Full Version : Planing on hiking/climbing Quandary Peak, CO (14,265ft) on 11/24

tom_alan
11-21-2008, 00:00
I'm planning on hiking/climbing Quandary Peak, CO (14,265ft) on Monday 11/24. The current snow conditions and weather, if holding, look good. The closest Ski Area (Breckenridge) reports a snow base of 18” of “Man Made” snow. There will be boulders larger than 18" in diameter so skiing back down will most likely not be an option. I would like to have someone join me. Respond to this thread or send me a PM.

I had to turn around on this one once and if conditions aren’t right I’ll do it again. The first time I had a brother from Ohio with me. Although we had been camping near Lake Dillion (Frisco, CO 9,000ft) and hiking for a week the altitude still got to him at about 800 feet from the top. I was only about 300 feet from the top but it was more important for me to get my brother down.

“Getting to the top is optional, getting back down is mandatory.” ~ Steady Ed Viesturs

tom_alan
11-23-2008, 23:00
:banana
The weather has held and the low tomorrow in Breckenridge is projected at 15 and the high around 48. The snow base is still at 18” of man-made snow so I wont be skiing off the top. Plan on being at the trailhead so that I can start 3,400-foot climb by 8:00am. Hope to summit no later than 11:00am and be down by 1:00pm. That should give me time to take in the beauty of what God has provided for us. Wish me luck. Pictures will be posted shortly after I return home.

Tom

:banana:banana:banana

tom_alan
11-23-2008, 23:04
:banana
The weather has held and the low tomorrow in Breckenridge is projected at 15 and the high around 48. The snow base is still at 18” of man-made snow so I wont be skiing off the top. Plan on being at the trailhead so that I can start 3,400-foot climb by 8:00am. Hope to summit no later than 11:00am and be down by 1:00pm. That should give me time to take in the beauty of what God has provided for us. Wish me luck. Pictures will be posted shortly after I return home.

Tom

:banana:banana:banana

FYI ~ Breckenridge is the closest ski are to the peak so I'm projecting what I'll be up against by what they are reporting. They are also calling for a sunny day. :sun

tom_alan
11-24-2008, 23:58
This mountain has eluded me for the second time. Due to a turn of events I got a late start in the morning (was 20 minutes from home and realized I left my wallet at home among other things).:datz With the late start and the snow I found myself on the ESE ridge at 13,326-feet in the afternoon (a little over 900 vertical feet from the top). By my calculations I would be returning after 5:00pm to the trailhead if I continued. I didn't want to be hiking in the woods after dark.:eek: I got back to the trailhead at 4:48pm. I made the right choice.

The mountain will be there for another day. Getting up is optional, getting down is mandatory. I will post pictures later tonight or in the morning.

Tom