PDA

View Full Version : Trip timing?

ibigler5
11-21-2008, 02:28
So i am looking to do a part or all of the AT. I have never done any of it before and am looking forward to it. I am a 5'10 male about 170lbs and am in fairly good shape ( i played varsity lacrosse for 4 years). I am looking to start sometime around the end of April or later. Can anyone tell me a good game plan for this hike i.e sobo or nobo and what date?
Thanks

Marta
11-21-2008, 08:01
Welcome to Whiteblaze!

It really depends on what works best for you. Physically you should be able to manage a late-starting NOBO, or if you want to delay starting until June or July, a SOBO.

Do you have a deadline you need to finish by? Do you have any hiking experience, and have all your equipment pulled together, or would you benefit from having some time to make some short practice trips before you start?

ibigler5
11-21-2008, 10:40
I'd like to finish by earlt to mid September. I've never done an over night backpacking trip, but I do hike a little. I have yet to finish purchase all of my gear. And I plan to start my practice trip in february. One of the problems i'm having with my gear is the mess kit. I really like the dualist, but is that a good mess kit?

Lone Wolf
11-21-2008, 10:46
start the last week of april and go NOBO from springer. that gives you 5 months to get to katahdin. you gotta like walkin'. it's just walkin'. have fun

KG4FAM
11-21-2008, 11:01
One of the problems i'm having with my gear is the mess kit. I really like the dualist, but is that a good mess kit?Are you hiking with another person because that is way too much for one person. You only need one pot that you eat out of as well. The dualist weighs 19 oz just for pots. If you like it why not look at the soloist that weighs half that.

Blissful
11-21-2008, 14:43
Should be able to finish by Oct starting in late April,, NOBO. You have youth on your side. Go for it.

Bare Bear
11-21-2008, 18:02
Starting in April you will be in the 'great hiker bulge' and your youth should put you ahead of most. Your biggest challenge is $$$ and the 'Town Vortex' that sucks you in to to staying where the beer is cold, the women cleaner, and the beds real. Really it is mental, not just physical. The loneliness and money are the main reasons I see people get off the Trail. They all give physical 'reasons' but it is really the mind that rules you. Hope to see you on the Trail. Take advantage of the shake down at Neels Gap and have an extra $300 with you or a credit card. I am actually getting excited about going and it is all good.

Lone Wolf
11-21-2008, 18:05
Take advantage of the shake down at Neels Gap and have an extra $300 with you or a credit card. I am actually getting excited about going and it is all good.

poor advice. steer clear of the "shake down" BS and keep your money in your pocket not in their $$ registers. no need to hit the trail ill-prepared these days with all the info out there

Bare Bear
11-21-2008, 18:09
Geez LW do you ever post positve about anything?
I have seen lots of hikers that are struggling get straightened out by Winton and crew. DUH, yeah they make a profit, it is a business; but I still believe they do a good service for hikers.

Lone Wolf
11-21-2008, 18:17
whatever. i see it a lot different. go SOBO ibigler5. you'll spend much less initially. no hostels, motels and outfitters every 2 days to entice you

Bare Bear
11-21-2008, 18:19
It would be tough going SOBO in April but the other info is correct, you generally have few outside resources up north. What you will find is that everything north of Harpers Ferry gets very expensive and rides tough compared to the south. You would avoid the crowds but have a lot less support in fellow hikers too.

lonehiker
11-21-2008, 18:20
I thought LWs post was great advice. Might have just saved the hiker $300.00.

Bare Bear
11-21-2008, 18:27
IF hikers need help Neels Gap is a good palce to get it. Obviously if you get there dialed in you do not need more help. I have probably been thru there ten times over the past 30 years and bought one lighter Mountain Hardware rain jacket. It saved me 8 oz over my old one for a cost of $130 but I still think it was worth it. It was a better lighter jacket that I had not found a good fit in elsewhere. I saw a kid go in to Winton's in 2006 with a 60 pound pack and serious 'get off the trail' back, leg and foot problems. Two hours later he went out without buying anything but his pack weight was down about 35 pounds. He made it to K so I feel the staff gave him a good two hours free........................

Bigglesworth
11-21-2008, 21:54
Go NOBO and leave as early as you can in April, especially if you have a September deadline and if going the whole way is a priority for you. Avoid getting sucked into towns/too much zeroing, as you will need to make miles if you have to end in 5 months or so... HOWEVER, enjoy your hike. Enjoy the journey and if finishing in one season isn't a must for you, don't feel bad if you DO get sucked into towns, zeros, trail magic, smelling the roses, etc., if it is fun for you! That's why you're doing it, right - fun? If it slows you down and you don't make it the whole way, the trail isn't going anywhere...you can finish later! TRUST ME, THE FUN I HAD OVER THE 200 DAYS I WAS ON THE TRAIL THIS YEAR IS FAR MORE IMPORTNANT TO ME THAN THE 2000 MILER PATCH AND CERTIFICATE I HAVEN'T EVEN BOTHERED TO APPLY FOR YET.

Do let them shakedown your pack at Neels Gap, but don't be afraid to say "no" if you don't feel like you need to make changes. Yes, they are a business, but they do give helpful advice. But do take advantage of getting advice from as many resources in advance as possible and take a shakedown hike for sure so you can make adjustments (basically, everyone who is making points about a pack shakedown is right, even they are saying conflicting things!).

Good luck, HAVE FUN!:sun

So i am looking to do a part or all of the AT. I have never done any of it before and am looking forward to it. I am a 5'10 male about 170lbs and am in fairly good shape ( i played varsity lacrosse for 4 years). I am looking to start sometime around the end of April or later. Can anyone tell me a good game plan for this hike i.e sobo or nobo and what date?
Thanks