PDA

View Full Version : snowing!

Wags
11-21-2008, 16:41
this is amazing! it's so pretty out there and i can't believe we're getting accumulation here this time of year (in hershey)!!!!!!!!!

time to break out the goretex trail runners :D

No Belay
11-21-2008, 17:03
Ain't Life GOOD?

Wags
11-21-2008, 17:09
it is bro

Mrs Baggins
11-21-2008, 17:10
We're finally settled in here in Alexandria VA and can't wait for the first good snowfall. We thought when we left Montreal in 2007 that we never wanted to see snow again but turns out we really missed having a "real" winter last winter in South Carolina. I can't wait to go walking in it! Makes you feel so vital and alive!

Lone Wolf
11-21-2008, 17:12
Makes you feel so vital and alive!

you wanna feel vital and alive go make snow on a mountain at 2am with 20 mph winds and 10 deg. temps

Mrs Baggins
11-21-2008, 17:56
you wanna feel vital and alive go make snow on a mountain at 2am with 20 mph winds and 10 deg. temps

Hmm.......except for the time of day it sounds like my grocery shopping trips in Montreal.......on foot.........for several blocks each way. Or our Saturdays climbing Mount Royal. I've lived in Canada - you can't scare me. :eek::D

TwistedToad
11-21-2008, 17:58

did that one yr and hated it! lol

Lone Wolf
11-21-2008, 17:58
you still don't know cold till you've been a snowmaker. grocery shoppin' ain't tough

woodsy
11-21-2008, 18:03
Being kinda modest with those temps and wind speeds ain't ya?:D

Wags
11-21-2008, 18:44
dear lonewolf,
pls feel free to go post your negative/tough-guy/i'm more badass than you/condescending/no matter what you've been through i've been through worse garbage elsewhere. this is a feel good thread and no thread feels good with your posts in it.
love,
hikingPA

Mrs Baggins
11-21-2008, 18:46
you still don't know cold till you've been a snowmaker. grocery shoppin' ain't toughy

Really? Are you a 4' 10" female trudging through blizzards to get groceries and carry them back home? No car - no choice. It's always freaking blizzarding in Montreal - inches of frozen snow on top of inches of ice for months.

Lone Wolf
11-21-2008, 18:47
y

Really? Are you a 4' 10" female trudging through blizzards to get groceries and carry them back home? No car - no choice. It's always freaking blizzarding in Montreal - inches of frozen snow on top of inches of ice for months.

wow! amazing

Lone Wolf
11-21-2008, 18:49
dear lonewolf,
pls feel free to go post your negative/tough-guy/i'm more badass than you/condescending/no matter what you've been through i've been through worse garbage elsewhere. this is a feel good thread and no thread feels good with your posts in it.
love,
hikingPA

dear hikingPA,
pls feel free to go...
never mind :cool:
love,
lonewolf

Wags
11-21-2008, 18:53
witty? i think not. move along

Bare Bear
11-21-2008, 18:59
Just another reason to hate Rocksylvania ;) It was 62F and sunny here today..................yawn.

Hooch
11-21-2008, 19:02
I love snow. There are few things as beautiful. I hope we'll see our fair share of it here in North Carolina this year.

HYOH
11-21-2008, 19:08
dear lonewolf,
love,
hikingPA

HPA , Why don't you tell him how you really feel? I think most would agree with you. It's called the "Marine Complex" or in layman terms "Big Tadpole in very small pond". Unfortunately is not treatable or curable.

Glad to see it's snowin in PA. Makes for a good Thanksgiving.

HYOH

Hooch
11-21-2008, 19:09
HPA , Why don't you tell him how you really feel? I think most would agree with you. It's called the "Marine Complex" or in layman terms "Big Tadpole in very small pond". Unfortunately is not treatable or curable.

Glad to see it's snowin in PA. Makes for a good Thanksgiving.

HYOH

Let's not bring Marines into this, shall we? If you've never been one, then you don't know what you're talkin' about. Just sayin'. :D

HYOH
11-21-2008, 19:18
Let's not bring Marines into this, shall we? If you've never been one, then you don't know what you're talkin' about. Just sayin'. :D

My brother and Dad were both one. Trust me I know what I'm talkin about. Come to my house for Thanksgiving and you'll find out there ain't nobody that's done anything as big, bad, fast, better, and or as bloody as they have. It's awful hard for me to beleive I've got the 2 baddest azz Marines under one roof but they think so.:-?

Hooch
11-21-2008, 19:22
My brother and Dad were both one. Trust me I know what I'm talkin about. Come to my house for Thanksgiving and you'll find out there ain't nobody that's done anything as big, bad, fast, better, and or as bloody as they have. It's awful hard for me to beleive I've got the 2 baddest azz Marines under one roof but they think so.:-?That's nice. Back to the snow, please.

Toolshed
11-21-2008, 19:40
4.10??? My 8 year old is 4'9" (tall, but not fat). Just curious, but do you have to shop in the kids section for hiking clothes, or do you have to shorten everything up? He is in size kids 8-10 right now..... but heading to 12-14

Summit
11-21-2008, 19:53
You'd think it was a full moon tonight the way everybody's getting along! :p

We've had some flurries (nothing sticking) the last three days here in good ol' central NC. Just seeing it this early is unusual.

Toolshed
11-21-2008, 19:59
Wish we had a foot here (...at the risk of pissing off my neighbors....)
(Gator, can I say pissing here...?)

Bigglesworth
11-21-2008, 20:58
Couple inches in Bristol, so up the mountain must have been really nice. I wonder if many SOBOs are left out there?

Mags
11-21-2008, 20:59
Waaaah! No snow (to speak of) here yet. :(

Even the those Disnelyland-like places called '"Down hill ski areas" (bleech!) are making snow.

I wanna ski!

Mrs Baggins
11-21-2008, 21:41
4.10??? My 8 year old is 4'9" (tall, but not fat). Just curious, but do you have to shop in the kids section for hiking clothes, or do you have to shorten everything up? He is in size kids 8-10 right now..... but heading to 12-14

REI sells Petite Sahara zip off pants and other Petite sizes. My North Face fleece is a child's size - 1/2 the price. I may be as small height-wise as a child but I have the hips and bust of an average adult female and that pretty much excludes children's clothing. I don't buy anything I have to shorten - I just pay more for the Petite versions.

Mrs Baggins
11-21-2008, 21:54

I hope this is the right photo.........anyway this is me in September - everything I have on came from either REI or Woolrich, all Petite sizes. That's how I buy clothes for hiking.

Lone Wolf
11-21-2008, 22:43
My brother and Dad were both one. Trust me I know what I'm talkin about. Come to my house for Thanksgiving and you'll find out there ain't nobody that's done anything as big, bad, fast, better, and or as bloody as they have. It's awful hard for me to beleive I've got the 2 baddest azz Marines under one roof but they think so.:-?

so are you a little jealous sqid?

Lone Wolf
11-21-2008, 22:45
Couple inches in Bristol, so up the mountain must have been really nice. I wonder if many SOBOs are left out there?

yeah. a few in damascus. more comin'

volleypc
11-21-2008, 23:25
I slept in, walked out to go somewhere for lunch and we had 3 inches of snow.. I had no idea, we ended up with 4-5 before the day was over. It is going to be a great day for outdoor photography tomorrow. I cant wait.

Toolshed
11-21-2008, 23:27

I hope this is the right photo.........anyway this is me in September - everything I have on came from either REI or Woolrich, all Petite sizes. That's how I buy clothes for hiking.

Someone left their tent stake and you came across it?!?!?! :eek: ;) :)

sheepdog
11-21-2008, 23:55
Got close to a foot here. It's going to be a good winter.

Wags
11-22-2008, 00:46
it got pretty icy out after the sun set. lots of accidents as people break in their winter driving skills heheh

i like the snow as well, but come february i'll be begging for spring

buz
11-22-2008, 11:22
Lake effect cranking up here in Cleveland. We got 5 inches, drive 10 miles, no snow, drive 30 the other way to the snow belt, 1.5 feet, last 48 hours. Very nutty local conditions this time of year. It also falls in wierd sizes, huge flakes to pellets that are huge, like dippin dots ice cream. Last night we got an inch of pellets in literally 15 minutes. Crazy. Hope it melts so I can finish my leaves!

Keystone28
11-22-2008, 12:03
this is amazing! it's so pretty out there and i can't believe we're getting accumulation here this time of year

It was snowing pretty heavily in beech mountain yesterday too.
http://www.highcountrywebcams.com/webcameras_BeechSports.htm

Nicksaari
11-22-2008, 17:38
talk to my father yesterday, he said it was snowing in va beach.

got blizzard conditions for about twenty minutes here in richmond a few days ago.

alberta clippers responsible. dad's neighbor works for NOAA in norfolk, says this winter the mid atlantic will get snow similar to the pattern found about five years ago. look forward to some real accumulation!!

musicwoman
11-22-2008, 18:03
went to college in Fredonia, NY, my daughter goes there there now. Hilly, not mountainous, however, the lake effect snow is a killer, along with the west wind coming off of Lake Erie. Blizzard conditions are the norm, not the exception, come wintertime.

I remember how much it sucked. 30-40 mph gusts daily, whiteout conditions, ugh.

fiddlehead
11-23-2008, 00:07
I got back to PA 2 weeks ago and yesterday, saw the snow.
Cancelled my plans and went right up to the AT for a hike (183 to Hertliem) Being in the woods right after the 1st snow of the year is something i got the chance to do last year too.
Coming from my desert hike in AZ 3 weeks ago and my 100 degree temp trail blazing in Thailand, i'm one lucky guy lately!
Tomorrow we are hiking Eckville to 309. Can't wait to rockhop that section.

Tennessee Viking
11-23-2008, 02:56
The coldest I ever felt was in Iowa at or just below 0 with -10 to -20 windchill with estimated 6 or more inches of snowfall. I still had to work...Outside.

Then I climbed Unaka Mtn one cold day and within an hour my 2 liters of water was frozen and I was covered in snow head to toe.

Then again you might want to ask the idiots standing in front of the stores with their crying kids on early Black Friday morning. I hope they are visited by the Frost-bite fairy. If you can't tell I work retail.

2011_thruhiker
11-23-2008, 20:16
I live in the blue ridge mountains in VA-a 1.5 miles from GW National Forest and you all sent us 2 inches that night. It was beautiful to wake up to that in the morning, we are expecting another storm tomorrow night with a 4-6 inch snowfall, so I can't wait!

Wags
11-23-2008, 23:27
man i can't remember it being this cold for an extended period of time in november around here. hope we're in for a snowy winter