PDA

View Full Version : Gore Tex for Women

BumpJumper
11-21-2008, 18:28
Any sites yall can direct me to?

Bigglesworth
11-21-2008, 21:38
I know I'm not answering your question, but consider avoiding it for much of your gear. Shoes, for example, become too sweaty (blisters), and if it is raining hard enough, your feet will get wet eventually if you are out long, then your shoes will dry much slower...Goretex rain coats, even with pit zips and other bells and whistles, just don't breathe and you'll sweat a ton. You get my point...just my opinion, but definitely from personal experience.

BumpJumper
11-21-2008, 21:52
Thanks....I need this info. That was great. Any others care to comment? Its just that I keep hearing Goretex rain gear and I just wondered what the fuss is about.

Dogwood
11-21-2008, 22:03
I didn't know GoreTex was gender specific?

Blissful
11-21-2008, 22:12
Lots of knock offs (waterproof, breathable fabric) that work just as well and less pricey. Gore-tex is just a name.

Bigglesworth
11-21-2008, 22:13
Thanks....I need this info. That was great. Any others care to comment? Its just that I keep hearing Goretex rain gear and I just wondered what the fuss is about.

Let me add that I'm not anti-Goretex, nor am I an expert. In fact, I do use a Goretex Marmot rain jacket that is pretty good in wind and rain (though sweaty). I'd love to hear more opinions about this too, especially if someone has good alternative suggestions for rain gear!

BumpJumper
11-21-2008, 23:41
Yes, as in the less pricey ones.

tom_alan
11-21-2008, 23:48
Use my froggers, Use them on my motorcycle and while hiking. They breath, keep you dry, and are light weight. Only down side is that they are a little bulky.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/

Blissful
11-22-2008, 11:13
Lots have commented on Frogg Toggs and use them.

I have used precip and find it works good for me in camp. They have had the older models on sale.

tom_alan
11-22-2008, 20:53
Check out this thread about rain gear suggestions.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43437

You can get Frogg Toggs for $5 at this site.

http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scripts/prodList.asp?strSearch=frogg+toggs&SubSearch.x=11&SubSearch.y=11

autolycus
11-25-2008, 15:28
so goretex is not a good thing at all? I've just started planning for taking the Via Francigena (caterbury-rome) this spring, and I've only heard good things about goretex before. Doesn't it also depend on the model of shoe you're wearing, and not only the material? I'm a total noob here as well, so any information would be equally appriciated by me!

Red Hat
11-25-2008, 15:54
Autolycus, Since you stated in your other thread that money is tight, I'd suggest avoiding goretex since it costs more and really isn't worth the difference. For shoes, use trail runners that will dry out quickly.

Mrs Baggins
11-25-2008, 16:37
I know I'm not answering your question, but consider avoiding it for much of your gear. Shoes, for example, become too sweaty (blisters), and if it is raining hard enough, your feet will get wet eventually if you are out long, then your shoes will dry much slower...Goretex rain coats, even with pit zips and other bells and whistles, just don't breathe and you'll sweat a ton. You get my point...just my opinion, but definitely from personal experience.

I've always worn Hi-Tec Altitude IV boots, gortex lined, and I have never had blisters nor do my feet get sweaty in them. I wear merino wool socks and sometimes sock liners. I have waded water to the tops of the boots and walked in rain and I have yet to have so much as a wet toe. And nothing in the world would make me give up my EMS gortex lined rain jacket.

BumpJumper
11-25-2008, 21:29
Well I dont want added weight so I guess quality is out!!

tenlots
12-02-2008, 23:14
I have been using the llbean rain coat. It is light and is goretex. I only can tell you it cost $159.00. It used to cost 139.00 but it is a few years old now and although there is nothing the matter, after several washings, the goretex wears away. I will get another one before I leave again in April.

River Runner
12-04-2008, 01:00
The goretex lined shoes I've used seem to lose their waterproofing after a few hundred miles. eVent lined shoes seem to hold up better so far.

eVent gaiters are great. I have not made the splurge for an eVent jacket yet, although I would like to have one. So far I use Frogg Toggs or DriDucks, depending on where I'm going and how much I expect to wear my rain gear, with Frogg Toggs being more durable.

The downside of Frogg Toggs is that the exterior takes a while to dry, and dealing with the wet jacket in a tent or hammock is a pain. Of course, any material that wets out would probably be a similar problem.