PDA

View Full Version : Mont-bell sleeping bags?

ibigler5
11-21-2008, 18:43
Does anyone own a mont-bell bag and can tell me something about them or has anyone heard anything good about them?

kanga
11-21-2008, 19:15
one of my friends has an ul ss (2 i think) and is nuts about it. i'm fixing to get a #0 800 fill for my winter hiking. super excited.

SouthMark
11-21-2008, 19:20
I have the U.L.SS.Down Hugger #5 rate 40 degrees. It serves me well as late spring through early fall. It is very well made and of course very light at 15 oz. and packs small. I have used it down to around 35 degrees as a quilt in my hammock and slept warm.

mts4602
11-21-2008, 19:22
Does anyone own a mont-bell bag and can tell me something about them or has anyone heard anything good about them?

I have 2 of them. a #1 15* and a 40* (don't know the #).

I think they are fantastic. I've taken the 15 in the smokies in the november and march and I've never been cold, although I have no idea what the temps were. In the teens I believe..

rcli4
11-21-2008, 19:59
I have the # 2. Sly recommended them. I bought it and am real pleased. If you are fat they allow for largeness.

Clyde

Bigglesworth
11-21-2008, 20:52
My biggest gear change on my thru-hike this year was switching to a 15 degree Montbell bag and I absolutely love it. It was pricey, but worth every penny. I get a little freaked out in really tight mummy bags so I loved how stretchy it was. My only complaint was that it could have used just a bit more down in the foot area, but to be fair I get cold really easy.

Lyle
11-21-2008, 21:04
I recently got a #0. Have crawled into it - fantastic, roomy, like the possibility of cinching the foot down. Hasn't been cold enough to try it out yet, looking forward to that.

verber
11-21-2008, 21:34
My daughter loved her SS#3. Many people love the way the elastic keeps the bag near them. I dislike it, but then, I typically sleep under a quilt. Personally I think the MB bags are at bit under-filled. That's not to say that they are incorrectly rating, just that I like a bit more fill given the baffle size. I generally prefer Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends bags, but they won't stretch they way MB does.

Egads
11-21-2008, 23:42
I love the freedom the Super Stretch provides

Roots
11-22-2008, 10:45
I have the Montbell UL SS #2. It is rated at 25 deg. but I have been in the teens with it. I can't say enough good about this bag. I love it so much I am looking into getting another one--different rating. The stretch is great for me since I move a lot in my sleep.

buz
11-22-2008, 11:12
Like Roots, I also have the ss ul #2. Very nice bag, this one I think is true/slightly conservative rated, at least for me as far as temp goes. My feedback:

I started with the #3 UL, and slept in it at 30 which it is rated for, and was frankly disappointed. I think the bag had fill issues, anyway, I was not warm with regular base layer and hat on.

Got the #2 in a trade (which MB was very good with) and it is way warmer than the #3, more than the 5 degree rating, IMO. Dual draft collars, superwarm hood, and again for me, toasty warm under a tarp with same base layer as above at 22 temp. I have no doubt it could go 10 degrees lower with additional layering/help of some sort. I like the bag, and am a flip/flopper, and the ss feature works, IMO.

Sizing: I am 6' exactly, and the regular didn't fit. Get the long, it is perfect, and IMO if you are 6'2" or more, the long may be short, lol.

optimator
11-22-2008, 11:16
I have the Montbell UL SS #2. It is rated at 25 deg. but I have been in the teens with it. I can't say enough good about this bag. I love it so much I am looking into getting another one--different rating. The stretch is great for me since I move a lot in my sleep.

I have the same bag and that's exactly what I was going so say:D

Roots
11-22-2008, 11:28
Sizing: I am 6' exactly, and the regular didn't fit. Get the long, it is perfect, and IMO if you are 6'2" or more, the long may be short, lol.

My husband is exactly 6' also and we ordered him the long. I'm glad we did. The regular would have been too short.

Cuffs
11-22-2008, 11:34
Great bag! Proud owner of the UL SS #1 15*.

If the tag is a bit pricey for you, Sierra Designs recently came out with their version of the stretch bags... Check out the Arrow Rock series...

mudhead
11-22-2008, 12:28
Does MB make the bags for SDesigns?

FamilyGuy
11-22-2008, 12:59
I am sorry to rain on the positive responses, but I have had two MB UL SS bags and both have been horribly underfilled with down. There is a couple of threads over at BPL that I would recommend looking at. For me, they have never come close to their rating and I am a warm sleeper.

SD have licensing rights on the technology from MB, but interestingly enough, have more down fill per comparable rating.

Mocs123
11-22-2008, 16:00
No, Mont-Bell does not make the bags for SD, but they do license the technology from Mont-Bell.

mudhead
11-22-2008, 17:29
Thank you.

WalksInDark
11-23-2008, 17:54
Let me start out be admitting to being a cold person...especially when I am sleeping. Also, I am short and tend to toss and turn during the night.

Also, when I first started hiking the AT last year, I thought that cheap was good enough.

Now with a few overnights on the trail when the temps go into 30 degrees or lower...I have had to rethink all of it.

First I tried a couple of cheap allegedly 40 degree bags for the fall and spring. Each one tested as being cold and not very wind resistant. NOTE: each used synthetic fill. All got returned.

As early winter came I bought a $70 heavy Quest sleeping bag rated to zero. Almost froze to death at a little under 40. Liked the features of the Quest, so I traded for a -10 model. Tested the -10 model down to about 18 or so and was warm and snugly; however the bag was so large and bulky I had to carry it on the bottom of my pack .

Tried a couple of Lafuma spring summer bags including non-down sleeping bags. All got returned. Then found a + Lafuma down bag (also includes feathers, and down material not very well distributed throughout the bag) for less than $100 dollars. This bag is light and warm enough for late spring or summer bag. Kept it.

Knowing that I would be hiking on the AT (VA) again this winter, decided to "bite the bullet" and buy a high cost/ high performance sleeping bag: Montbell ulss down #0. First impressions are: very light, super comfortable (super stretch construction), adjustable for tall or short hikers bag. Plus I got the bag for only $300.

Time will tell how well this bag will work in the future but am happy now.

mts4602
11-23-2008, 22:36
As early winter came I bought a $70 heavy Quest sleeping bag rated to zero. Almost froze to death at a little under 40. Liked the features of the Quest, so I traded for a -10 model.

OMG...Quest.

Yeah my quest bag was rated to 20..it's not even close.

I hate when I see -5* quest bags at Dicks Sporting Goods for so cheap. It's a joke.

Slo-go'en
11-23-2008, 23:16
I have a Mont Bell #3 synthetic - quite pleased with it. Belive its rated at 30F. One morning I was suprised to find frozen water on my tent, as I was quite warm in the bag. Not quite as light and compact as a down bag, but not bad for a synthetic. I didn't want to worry about keeping it extreamly dry.