PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hiked the Arizona Trail?

twoshoes06
11-21-2008, 21:50
I will be going off to medical school next August, but I am thinking about backpacking the Arizona Trail.

Has anyone actually done this? Is it marked pretty well? How far apart are towns?

I would appreciate any information from someone that has done it or that knows someone that has.

Thanks.

burger
11-21-2008, 22:14
http://www.aztrail.org/ has all the information you could want, or links to it.

yappy
11-22-2008, 10:39
hope to be out as well next Spring. there is alot of info out there...amazon has the guide bk for 14 bucks right now.

MOWGLI
11-22-2008, 10:50
I met a guy on the JMT who hiked the entire trail. He loved it! He did hike at night a good bit to avoid the heat, and water and resupply was a big issue in some places.

If your looking for a challenge, the Arizona Trail would be an excellent choice. It's sort of the antithesis of the AT in almost every way.

Good luck! And please let us know what you decide to do!

rafe
11-22-2008, 11:19
Can't help you with the other "A.T." but I've done a few day hikes in UT, AZ and NM... and wanted to second what Mowgli said ("...It's sort of the antithesis of the AT in almost every way.") Incredible scenery, especially for folks coming from the east coast. Mags or fiddlehead would know a thing or two about long hikes in desert climes.

Lyle
11-22-2008, 11:23
Haven't hiked it, but did a Volunteer Vacation on it a few years back. BEAUTIFUL!

Some photos in my gallery.

BookBurner
11-22-2008, 11:35
I planned for a thru-hike but had to get off after 100 miles. So my info is more theoretical than actual. As others have suggested, check out the ATA website (www.aztrail.org (http://www.aztrail.org)) for an on-line data book. They also have a set of maps they are working on. I also suggest you reading the official trail guide and some of the trail journal entries (i.e. gotta walk). They'll give you a great sense of what you're in for.

But in a nutshell, the towns are about as far apart as on the AT (100-150 miles). So you should be comfortable with re-supply issues. Blazing can be a challenge, although I gather it's getting better every year. A lot of time you're looking for a pile of rocks among a desert of rocks to mark your way. Alot of folks use GPS to make this issue less troublesome (the ATA provides complete waypoint data). The trail is not crowded. In my 100 miles, I saw exactly 0 other hikers (unless you count the illegal alien who went running by in blue jeans!). Water is the big issue especially in the southern sections. You'll drink from sources that you wouldn't have dared considered on your AT thru. Hint: In Arizona, "Tank" doesn't refer to some sort of water container. It means a cow-poo filled muck hole, also known as, the source of your morning coffee water. You can watch sno-tell data over the winter to determine whether it will be a dry or wet (relatively speaking) spring. Lastly, unlike the AT, there are few, if any, designated campsites. At the end of the day, you just find the best-looking patch of ground and set up your tent.

In my mind (and limited experience), the AZT is great challenge, much more so than the AT. That's what makes it so enticing for me. I hope you'll undertake it and I also hope to perhaps see you out there.

Sly
11-22-2008, 14:48
But in a nutshell, the towns are about as far apart as on the AT (100-150 miles). So you should be comfortable with re-supply issues.

Um, there's no need to hike more than 75 miles without resupply on the AT. IMO, 150 mile stretches are the pits and to be avoided if at all possible.

That said th AZT is supposed to be a great trail, although I'd be more inclined to do the Grand Enchantment Trail.

http://www.simblissity.net/grand_enchantment.shtml

Mags
11-22-2008, 15:09
The AZT is on my "to do" list. Why? I have been to Utah and New Mexico, but never Arizona..so why not walk through it? :)

I am getting itchy feet. And I tend to be on a 4 yr cycle. If the finances look right/get the time/don't wind up with a long term significant other, my ideal goal for 2010:

March/April Arizona Trail
May - Benton MacKaye Trail
July/August - Great Divide Trail (Canada)
Sept/Oct - MAYBE - The Hayduke Trail

It would be ~2600 miles +/- of hiking, split over a few different trails.
High desert, Colorado Plateau, the southern Appalachians in spring and the Canadian Rockies. How's that for variety?

We'll see.... If anything, lets me think out loud and publicly. I REALLY need to do something... Of course, with the economy (and my employer laying off 6000 people recently), maybe I'll get laid off in the Spring and bump this plan up a bit. :)

yappy
11-22-2008, 16:50
the get and gdt are on my list too. A buddy might be doing the gdt this summer.. if the azt does'nt work out I would be up for that. I have'nt seen the Gc yet and ending a hike there sounds like a terrific way to see it..

Sly
11-22-2008, 17:11
the get and gdt are on my list too. A buddy might be doing the gdt this summer.. if the azt does'nt work out I would be up for that. I have'nt seen the Gc yet and ending a hike there sounds like a terrific way to see it..

I thought you were planning the CDT? You haven't hiked until you've hiked it! ;)

pyroman53
11-23-2008, 00:16
Check out Trailjournals and pick the Arizona Trail to see several journals of AZT hikers. Go back a few years and you can see even more. Since its local, I'm planning to "get to know" this trail a bit more. Signed up to do some trail maintenance next weekend, bought the guidebook, reading TJ's. Access seems to require 4x4 more often than not. Some concerns on the southern end with illegals. As others have said, it seems that its mostly about water. Long distances between unreliable sources. Never know till you get there whether you shoulda carried more from the last source. One appeal for me, having grown up reading Collin Fletcher, is that it is a hike Collin woulda hiked.

fiddlehead
11-23-2008, 07:43
I was just out there 2 weeks ago doing some hiking near the AZT in the "Supes"
I have 2 friends who thru-d the trail and a few who have tried.

Timing is an issue. I believe April is the best time.
My friends did it northbound and i joined them for about 3 nights south of Flagstaff.

Other friends who didn't make it started too early.
It apparantly starts at high elevation and they were stopped by deep snow near the border.
From parts i have done, and pictures i have seen, it is a beautiful trail although there are a few boring sections in the middle.
Around flagstaff reminded me of the PCT and of course it goes through the grand canyon and i believe it ends near some awesome slot canyon stuff.

Arizona is a beautiful state with friendly people. Flagstaff is one of my favorite towns in the state full of young, open minded people.
Enjoy your hike.

yappy
11-23-2008, 10:04
I have an aging dog that will keep me close until she is gone. It will be a very SAD day.. month, yr, life time ?.. for me. i just love her so much and her downhill slide came outta nowhere. I feel uncertain about leaving her for 7 weeks. I hope i don't regret it..

nice chatting with ya Sly..:)

Hi fiddlehead !

A-Train
11-23-2008, 13:28
I'm gonna start reading up on this trail more.

Don't suppose you can hike any sections of it in January, can you?

Dogwood
11-23-2008, 13:46
The AZT is on my "to do" list. Why? I have been to Utah and New Mexico, but never Arizona..so why not walk through it? :)

I am getting itchy feet. And I tend to be on a 4 yr cycle. If the finances look right/get the time/don't wind up with a long term significant other, my ideal goal for 2010:

March/April Arizona Trail
May - Benton MacKaye Trail
July/August - Great Divide Trail (Canada)
Sept/Oct - MAYBE - The Hayduke Trail

It would be ~2600 miles +/- of hiking, split over a few different trails.
High desert, Colorado Plateau, the southern Appalachians in spring and the Canadian Rockies. How's that for variety?

We'll see.... If anything, lets me think out loud and publicly. I REALLY need to do something... Of course, with the economy (and my employer laying off 6000 people recently), maybe I'll get laid off in the Spring and bump this plan up a bit. :)

MAGS, I like the itinerary. I like big thinking. May see U on the Hayduke this yr.

yappy
11-23-2008, 13:50
A train are ya close to the trail ?

A-Train
11-23-2008, 17:38
A train are ya close to the trail ?

No I'm in NY! I'm gonna have some time off for school break in January-itching to go walking but there aren't many practical places that time of year. Not interested in Florida Trail, looking for some deserty areas that would be OK, but don't wanna road walk the CDT in NM, figured maybe some options on the AZT, but maybe too high/snow?

I may go to Mexico if I can save some sheckels..

yappy
11-23-2008, 17:48
Lol.. new York ! I have never been but I hear there is a very nice hike on lost coast in California... I think it is called that... also some great trips outta Vegas and some nice hikes in texas too. I am sure there are great loops in AZ in lower elevations.. happy hiking ..:)

Sly
11-23-2008, 19:45
don't wanna road walk the CDT in NM

Of the approximately 700 miles of trail in NM, there's probably less than 50 miles of paved road walking, which is mostly in and out of town. Depending on the route, it's mostly trail, cross country, FS road, little used dirt county road, and a bit of bush whacking.

That said, the lowest elevation is 4000 feet (at the Mexican border), a couple times it goes over over 11,000 feet, so it's not well suited for winter hiking. Snow pack in the higher elevations last into late spring.

DuctTape
11-24-2008, 21:15
I'm gonna start reading up on this trail more.

Don't suppose you can hike any sections of it in January, can you?

I imagine that you could hike some parts of the AZT in January, but that's pure speculation. It would have to be well south of Flagstaff and closer to Phoenix/Tucson latitudes.

taildragger
11-24-2008, 21:52
You should be able to hike the southern portions, the AZT is not a high trail.

Be prepared for snow though, I got snowed on 3 days in late March when in the 4 peaks wilderness.

FWIW, I thought this section of the trail wasn't well marked, at times I felt like I was following a faint deer path till I'd see a cairn, but it was fun and the desert poppies were blooming, should have some images from the trip in my gallery. If you do that section, climb the 4 peaks if the weather permits, they are quite fun.

jafrost
11-25-2008, 06:20
I thru-hiked the Trail SOBO from Oct to Dec 2006. If you are planning a NOBO in 2009, your start date might need to be determined by when the North Rim opens-up (mid-May, I think). The camp store there has a good selection for long-term resupply; also a post office, lodge and meals.

The trail can often be vague and poorly marked. I joined the AZ Trail Assoc. and downloaded the waypoints, which are every 1/2 mile for most sections (so get a GPS with lots of memory). I also got an ACR personal locator beacon because this trail goes through the middle of nowhere with nobody in sight for days. My Katadyn Hiker paper filter crapped-out after a couple of weeks of sucking water out of those cattle "tanks." So, I switched to a SweetWater ceramic filter, which worked better.

Finally, the best guidebook that I found was "Arizona Trail: The Official Guide" by Tom Lorang Jones. Some of the info in it is now a little dated, but you can supplement it with info from the AZ Trail website. Also, don't trust the GPS coordinates shown in the book.

--Jack Frost

yappy
11-25-2008, 11:27
We have friends that go to Yuma for the winter from AK. They love it there and say it is HOT in the winter... a long way to drive from Alaska though..

yaduck9
11-25-2008, 13:18
Have not hiked the AZ Trail, but have hiked in most of the same areas.

Another book that may ( or may not help ) ; http://www.amazon.com/Biking-Arizona-Trail-Day-Riding-Thru-Biking/dp/1565794370/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Water will be the central item to plan around. AZ has been in drought for the last seven years. We did get a good and early snowfall last winter which refilled the majority of reseviors for city drinking water. They are predicting rain and snow ( up north ) for Thanksgiving. That is a good sign that we may have a "wet" ( everything is reletive ) winter. It is considered that we are still in a drought condition, it will take several average winters to be considered back to normal ( which is still very dry ).

Az is very diverse. One item you may want to research is the Mogollon rim ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogollon_Rim ) Besides the Grand Canyon, it will be the major change in elevation, and demarks the major changes from sonoran desert to alpine forest. So you may want to research weather conditions say in Tucson and Flagstaff to get an idea as to when you want to go.

Just my two cents.

Cookerhiker
12-02-2008, 20:33
A little more info on this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34631) which I started after returning from a Sierra Club volunteer trip working on the AZT.