PDA

View Full Version : Rain gear suggestions

ibigler5
11-22-2008, 03:01
I'm looking for a light weight rain jacket with a half zipper. Something similar to the Arc'teryx Alpha SL Pullover. Any suggestions would be great.

superman
11-22-2008, 08:43
I use Frogg Toggs. It has a full zipper though.

ibigler5
11-22-2008, 10:27
yeah i'm really looking for a half zip... like a pullover

verber
11-22-2008, 11:53
What's so special about having a 1/2 zipper that it's the only constraint you offer? Most of the time people are more concerned about features, breathability, durability, cost, or have some specific weight target (like say... less than 8oz).

If I was looking for a 1/2 zipper and was planning to use a rain hat rather than a hood I would go with the IntegralDesigns eVENT Pullover. If you want a wider range of considerations take a look at my recommended raingear (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/clothing.html#rainshell) page.

Serial 07
11-22-2008, 12:39
how are those frogg toggs? they are cheap, which is nice, but would you recommend them for a thru?

beeman
11-22-2008, 12:49
You do bring duct tape, right? Once they tear, use duct tape on em!

Homer&Marje
11-22-2008, 12:53

toggs are great. got duct tape in 2 spots and still waterproof

Jorel
11-22-2008, 16:38
The Packa is awesome.

Sly
11-22-2008, 17:29
yeah i'm really looking for a half zip... like a pullover

I think they have pullover Frogg Toggs but they look like they've been discontinued. Here's a site that's selling them for $5!

http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scripts/prodViewSKU.asp?SKU=99P7NSK.

Serial 07
11-22-2008, 18:17
nice link sly...thanks...

Dogwood
11-22-2008, 19:58
I think they have pullover Frogg Toggs but they look like they've been discontinued. Here's a site that's selling them for $5!

http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scripts/prodViewSKU.asp?SKU=99P7NSK.

Sly, Have U used these in heavy or prolonged rain showers? IF, U did were they waterproof?

Tinker
11-22-2008, 20:36
In the summer you might find yourself wishing for a full zipper.

Before I started (or rather, resumed) using a poncho in the summer, I would often wear my jacket completely unzipped in the rain unless it was windy. Above about 65 degrees, anything waterproof is hot (for me, at least).

tom_alan
11-22-2008, 20:41
I use Frogg Toggs. It has a full zipper though.

Got to go with my Froggers. They are lightweight, breath and keep you dry. I use them while riding my motorcycle and hiking. The only down side is they are a little bulky, but I think they have solved this with an included stuff sack now.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/

ibigler5
11-23-2008, 03:01
ok well forget the half zip. other than the frogg toggs, whats another good rain jacket under $250. I'd rather it be around $100 - $150

Panzer1
11-23-2008, 04:02
try looking at:
WWW.EMS.COM or
WWW.REI.COM or
www.campmor.com

Panzer

Serial 07
11-23-2008, 04:39
looking back at the threads you've started, it seems your fairly new to the long distance hike game...that's cool...my question for you is why do you have to spend $100 - $150 dollars on a raincoat? if these froggs work, and i've seen a full zip coat and pant combo for around $15 (wouldn't bring the pants, maybe have'em in my summer drop box for a luxury item...), why not consider them, save money on a raincoat and splurge buy a real dank tent or pack or something else...

if you're gonna use the coat around town or something like that, than panzer has the right idea or look for another thread on here...i've just done it for myself...i'm in the market for new raingear as well...:cool:

fiddlehead
11-23-2008, 07:53
WOW! Froggies for $5!
Thanks Sly.
Where the heck are you these days Sly?
I am presently at my home in PA for 4 more weeks. Hiking today although it's wicked cold here.
I have 3 sets of frogg toggs but $5 for more is so tempting.

I've mentioned on here before, i stopped using my $300 North Face Goretex and started using the frogg toggs a long time ago because............well, guess which one kept me dry and which one didn't?
But, the North Face jacket looked nicer in the mall. (maybe that's what they are made for)

tom_alan
11-23-2008, 09:45

I bought mine at a Yamaha Dealership for $79.95. I believe they are more durable to hold up under heavier winds and such. Have yet to have them tear. However, I sometimes wonder why they haven't. I am sure that the abuse I give mine are greater on the motorcycle than while hiking. I find that I don't use the pants very much while hiking (I do every time I suite up on the motorcycle) unless it is a termendous downpour.

If you can pick up a jacket for $5 what have you got to loose. I should have read all the post before sending you to the Frogg Togg website; however, the site does show how the material keeps you dry and breaths.

88BlueGT
11-23-2008, 13:47
thepacka.com

ibigler5
11-23-2008, 14:12
yes i am new to this long distance hiking thing and i have a lot of questions. The only reason i set those price guidelines was b/c i want to where the jacket around town not just to hike with

ofthearth
11-23-2008, 19:44
The Packa is awesome.

thepacka.com

I've got one of these. At least check it out. If you do a search on it I think you'll find a couple of threads.

Tinker
11-23-2008, 21:56
Other than the durability issue of the Frogg Toggs, I think that they're an excellent item. They are the heavier duty version of the Drop Stoppers Micro pore rainsuit that I bought at Backpacking Light a couple of years ago. The seam in the pants seat (on the Micro Pore) split out the first week I had mine, but I can still use the jacket. The stiffness of the fabric makes it stand out from your body somewhat which makes it more likely that air will flow underneath in warm weather. The interior lining is somewhat fuzzy and comfortable. My poncho, while allowing relatively good airflow, tends to stick to my skin when it's wet and restricts air flow somewhat. My older, heavier non-silnylon poncho was made of stiffer fabric and didn't stick to me at all, if I recall correctly.
For the price, I don't think you can beat the Frogg Toggs. They aren't exactly town-chic, but function far outweighs fashion if you're hiking long distances.
Try the Froggs first. If you don't like them, try something else. I use a Marmot Precip jacket when the weather is cooler, but, realistically, it isn't breathable enough to notice when you're chugging up a mountain. You will quickly overmatch it's limited breathability with the steam your body is pumping out.
Some folks say that the eVent fabric garments are very breathable, but I'm not up for paying $250 or more to see for myself. Plus, if the waterproofness goes away in a season (I'm not saying that it will), or it requires careful laundering and DWR recoating (as Gore-Tex does), It might be more work than it's worth.