PDA

View Full Version : larger quantity foods- like jelly

Pickleodeon
11-22-2008, 13:14
ok, I read the thread about olive oil storage, but what about things like jelly and peanut butter. I dont want to carry the huge container for just me. What size and what kinds of containers are best, or should I buy tons of mini packs?- That seems like I would go through a lot and have a lot of waste after a while. I've carried pb and J (small pb and the squeeze bottle of jelly for a few days with a group of about 5), but for one person it seems excessive. I'd be ok with buying bigger quantities and bottling it at home, but then do I send the rest to myself and refill, or should I just carry the big containers? It'd be a lot of weight at first, and then a lot of unused space later on. Any ideas?

Wise Old Owl
11-22-2008, 13:35
coglans squeeze tubes or mini packs save the space & weight use stiff breads like bagels, ryes - not white.

Serial 07
11-22-2008, 14:13
the big 2 lb container of PB isn't going to be out of the question for you once you hit the trail...you would be surprised how much food you consume, especially if you like pb...pb on bread/bagels...pb mixed in some teriyaki noodles...pb on a snickers...pb by itself before bed...pb will go quicker than you think...now, 2lbs may be a bit much for you, so just by the smaller size, but pb is a staple food for a variety of reasons, so don't be afraid...this is one of those things that sounds outrageous now, but once you get your trail belly flowin', you will understand food on a different level...

DapperD
11-22-2008, 14:20
ok, I read the thread about olive oil storage, but what about things like jelly and peanut butter. I dont want to carry the huge container for just me. What size and what kinds of containers are best, or should I buy tons of mini packs?- That seems like I would go through a lot and have a lot of waste after a while. I've carried pb and J (small pb and the squeeze bottle of jelly for a few days with a group of about 5), but for one person it seems excessive. I'd be ok with buying bigger quantities and bottling it at home, but then do I send the rest to myself and refill, or should I just carry the big containers? It'd be a lot of weight at first, and then a lot of unused space later on. Any ideas?What you need to ask yourself first, if you are planning a thru or long section hike, is if you want to buy your food enroute, or rely primarily with maildrops, or, like a lot of people, combine both methods. From what I have learned, most people just buy their food enroute do to the amount of stores that have food available. Some people don't want to take chances and want to go the maildrop way, so they can be rest assured of what their food will be and they won't have to worry about not being able to obtain items they want or need. As far as peanut butter, jelly, and all of that, not only is it messy, you may get sick of it eating it alot, that's why most just buy as they go, tastes change. Buy little container's from groceries, etc... as you go, and you can change whenever you like. Store these in zip-lock bags(containers) to minimize mess. Remember your tastes will change.

Johnny Thunder
11-22-2008, 14:29
the big 2 lb container of PB isn't going to be out of the question for you once you hit the trail...you would be surprised how much food you consume, especially if you like pb...pb on bread/bagels...pb mixed in some teriyaki noodles...pb on a snickers...pb by itself before bed...pb will go quicker than you think...now, 2lbs may be a bit much for you, so just by the smaller size, but pb is a staple food for a variety of reasons, so don't be afraid...this is one of those things that sounds outrageous now, but once you get your trail belly flowin', you will understand food on a different level...

Yeah man! Peanut butter, like olive oil and cashews, is another high fat food you should force whenever possible...as the saying goes...Any moment you're not chugging Olive Oil out of a nalg is a moment you should be chugging oil out of a nalg.

Serial 07
11-22-2008, 14:38
Any moment you're not chugging Olive Oil out of a nalg is a moment you should be chugging oil out of a nalg.

:)

now this is a level of brilliance i hope to reach...maybe another push off springer will do the trick...well said johnny thunder, well said...

Pickleodeon
11-22-2008, 15:16
ha, thanks. I'm not a huge PB fanatic, or olive oil apparently, like some people, but I'll probably go for the half size container of pb. I'm open to more advice if anyone has other ideas.

I've heard about the squeezy tubes you can buy, like WiseOldOwl suggested, but I've heard they're more hassle than they're worth to fill em up and the little clips on them break after a while.

Johnny Thunder
11-22-2008, 15:20
You should spend more time finding high-fat foods that you are a "fanatic" of. Because, the food you pack because you "should" end up coming into town with you because you never found them appetizing.

Think of things like: Cashews, Cheese, Pepperoni, etc.

Pickleodeon
11-22-2008, 15:45
no, I eat peanut butter, just not tons at a time. I'm thinking I'll take some nutella along at some point. That comes in smaller containers, and I'll eat that a lot faster than peanut butter.

Serial 07
11-22-2008, 15:57
i didn't see too many people with tubes of pb...i saw'em, but not as much as the regular plastic container...now some put it into ziplocks, but, imo, that's a mess...nutella is popular and fatty...as johnny was saying, definitely like what you're packing 'cause that's what you gotta eat...there are other spreadable foods that will last a while (especially in the early cooler months) like cream cheese or hummus that can make decadent trail lunches...

Tenderheart
11-22-2008, 15:58
I find that the small jars last me about 4 days. I have begun putting PB on flour tortillas. They come twenty per pack and take up little room. I just spread it on and then roll the tortilla up. I personally don't care for the corn variety, but you may. I also have tried 'Goober Grape', but the jar is larger than I like.

litefoot 2000

mudhead
11-22-2008, 17:37
no, I eat peanut butter, just not tons at a time. I'm thinking I'll take some nutella along at some point. That comes in smaller containers, and I'll eat that a lot faster than peanut butter.

If you like Nutella, try a drizzle of honey on PB sandwich. Wicked.

I like raisins on PB sandwich. 1/4 wicked.

sarbar
11-22-2008, 19:02
For long hauls the big containers are worth carrying - though right now they might not look that way ;)
Just remember....never double dip and all is good. You can get jam/jelly now days in plastic squeeze tubes (like ketchup).