PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Channel AK Experiment

Doughnut
11-23-2008, 10:09
Did anyone hear any more on the survival project?
Wolf, Did your buddy Pepper get called out for casting?

I assume they realized there was not enough time to fully put it together and shelved it?

Thanks,
doughNut

Lone Wolf
11-23-2008, 10:39
no, pepper didn't hear from them

wcgornto
11-23-2008, 11:52
I submitted a full application, audition video, etc. But was not selected.

Filming was to take place in September & October. I don't know if they proceeded or not.

I wasn't disappointed about not being selected. I generally don't like any video cameras pointed in my direction ever, but I thought two months in the Alaskan wilderness would make the cameras tolerable.

Doughnut
11-23-2008, 12:14
I applied also, sent in the video etc, I am not photogenic and I know that, however, I know I am more than qualified.
My original question was if anyone had been selected, etc..

When I spoke on the phone with the casting people, there were many unanswered questions, such as firearms, actual location, etc..

AK is a huge and very diverse state, from the Aleutian Islands to the Arctic Ocean to the Inside Passage. the weather and terrain are vastly different, and winter sets in very fast and early north of the Alaska Range.
It seemed to me the thought was there was plenty of time, then when they looked a the logistics, they realized there was not enough time to put the package together.
That's why I am pretty sure they shelved it until next year, when they can better arrange for the filming and experiment.

Cabin Fever
11-23-2008, 14:47
My brother won the casting competition for the show on gotcast.com. They called him once and said they would call back but never did. I think the show went the way of the buffalo.

Wise Old Owl
06-05-2009, 21:12
Now that the show is airing are you glad you didn't get the call?

KevinAce
06-06-2009, 10:57
If I applied I'd be mad I didn't get the call. What a great experience! Sure they're having some tough times with food...but getting that type of exposure with an "out" button is awesome. I'm loving the show so far.

MyName1sMud
06-10-2009, 10:55
Well that was a pretty good show. I think a lot of it was staged though.

bigmac_in
06-10-2009, 11:50
Well that was a pretty good show. I think a lot of it was staged though.

You think?

Mags
06-10-2009, 12:19
A reality show...staged? Egads ?!?!? You must be joking man!

http://www.google.com/search?q=staged+reality+shows&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

MyName1sMud
06-10-2009, 12:55
A reality show...staged? Egads ?!?!? You must be joking man!

http://www.google.com/search?q=staged+reality+shows&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

no reason to be a d-bag about what I said

they let people like you be mods around here? wow i might need to get my donation money back.

Mags
06-10-2009, 12:57

they let people like you be mods around here? wow i might need to get my donation money back.

I can tell you are not use to Northeast sarcasm....

Then again...most people aren't.

Here are some smiley faces to make your gentle soul feel better. ;)
:D :) :D:banana:sun:)

MyName1sMud
06-10-2009, 12:59
I can tell you are not use to Northeast sarcasm....

Then again...most people aren't.

Here are some smiley faces to make your gentle soul feel better. ;)
:D :) :D:banana:sun:)

Thanks! I was being sarcasitic as well! :banana

I've got a very thick internet skin!:D

Lone Wolf
06-10-2009, 13:00

oy vey :rolleyes:

MyName1sMud
06-10-2009, 13:00
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

oy vey :rolleyes:

MyName1sMud
06-10-2009, 13:01
Hopefully people will keep reading the thread before they think I was getting all butthurt towards you! haha!

anyways I am heading to lunch. be back later!

Wise Old Owl
06-13-2009, 16:12
Jayson or JS- I'm in the northeast, and I'm with LW - OUCH! Please do not do that again.... Back to the thread..

I could not figure out why the packs were so goofy until I saw this...

Dicovery.com

Each participant was only allowed to bring with them the items provided in the list below, along with one personal item of their choosing (a photograph, journal, etc.). They were taught to make Yukon Packs to help carry the items, weighing over 50 pounds, along their journey.
Yukon Pack Contents:

Sleeping bag
Bed roll
Dry bag (incl. three pairs of socks)
1 extra pair of shoes
Gloves
Hat
1 extra jacket
Whistle
1 can of bear spray
Compass
Leather “needle”
Rope for Yukon Pack
Shoulder straps
1 personal item (participant’s choice)
GPS locator (Spot)

In addition to the essential items above, the participants were allowed to take with them anything they wanted from a large pile of items found at their drop-off location. Spoiler Alert: They chose to take everything, including the ukulele!
Items at Drop-Off Location:

Large wash tub/basin
4 small animal pelts
Trapper tent (weighing 45 lbs)
Rusted machete
Large iron kettle
Rusted axe head
Basic first aid kit
Large swede saw
1 pair of crampons
2 classic survival manuals
Old trapper coffee pot
Small canister coffee
Large sack of flour
Old used snowshoes
Binoculars (1 lens broken)
Condoms
Tin types
Large ammo cases
1 bear keg
1 ukulele
1 roll of plastic-wrapped toilet paper
25’ of hemp rope
Hatchet
Men’s watch
Snow shovel
1 gallon plastic bag
Gun (.22 rifle)
Water purifiers
Small camping knife
Wind-up lantern
2 unlabeled cans of food
Anyone want to tear this apart- its weak.

Wise Old Owl
06-14-2009, 10:20
If you have seen the show what do you think about the yukon packs these folks carry?

woodsy
11-06-2009, 16:01
Anyone watch Survivorman interview the now ex-Alaska experiment people ?
Showed today on PLGN (planet green)
Good interview i thought, video showing some of the more difficult times, wonder how these folks were selected.
None had any hunting experience before going there but all did the time and came out alive. Looks like they had some experienced guidance to help them through it,
Thoughts?

woodsy
11-06-2009, 17:25
anyhow, Alaska experiment two is in the works if any die hards here are interested, good chance you'll come out alive.
Log on to Discovery Channel Alaska Experiment Two. Or something like that.

Quoddy
11-06-2009, 20:03
Based on last years selections for the show, anyone having hiking or wilderness experience is not going to be selected. They went for the totally inept.

woodsy
11-06-2009, 20:38
Based on last years selections for the show, anyone having hiking or wilderness experience is not going to be selected. They went for the totally inept.

Right, don't tell them you can survive anywhere without help and you might get selected for a 3 mo. survival vacation in AK. Seems like hunger due to lack of protein was a problem with all of them.

warraghiyagey
11-06-2009, 20:38
Right, don't tell them you can survive anywhere without help and you might get selected for a 3 mo. survival vacation in AK. Seems like hunger due to lack of protein was a problem with all of them.
Woodsy's in the howwwwse!:banana:banana

woodsy
11-06-2009, 20:51
Woodsy's in the howwwwse!:banana:banana
Its Friday night, justlike the old days ! :banana:banana

warraghiyagey
11-06-2009, 20:53
Its Friday night, justlike the old days ! :banana:banana
Well allllllright!! Gonna crank up the box merlot and get reddddddy!!!!!!!!!!:sun:banana

woodsy
11-06-2009, 20:58
So is Warrgy and Vonfrick gonna apply for the 3 mos. survival experience in AK ?

No experience necessary, someone (behind the scene)will save yo asses if the going (or Bears) get tough.

warraghiyagey
11-06-2009, 21:22
So is Warrgy and Vonfrick gonna apply for the 3 mos. survival experience in AK ?

No experience necessary, someone (behind the scene)will save yo asses if the going (or Bears) get tough.
Please. . . that's for newbie wusses. . . . :)

woodsy
11-06-2009, 22:21
Please. . . that's for newbie wusses. . . . :)
Yeah, probably not your style :D

warraghiyagey
11-06-2009, 22:27
Yeah, probably not your style :D
zacktly. . . ;)

You beat one brown bear wrasslin and you move on to the next challenge. . . first time I ever saw a bear cry. . .

woodsy
11-07-2009, 09:41
The 1 hour interview was a reunion of the 4 groups, 2 couples and 2 threesomes.
Rehashed some of the physical and mental hardships of the 3 mos., cold, lack of sun, 1-2 hrs a day, constant fear of Wolves and Bears .
Since returning to civilization, one of the couples did not blend back in well, hmmmm, sold everything and are returning to AK to work at a sporting camp.

KevinAce
11-09-2009, 12:29
Sweet - a season two! I just applied on the casting page.