PDA

View Full Version : Unique Katahdin Photo

Jeff
11-23-2008, 10:10
I wonder if someone was using photoshop??? !!!

Manwich
11-23-2008, 10:11
I doubt it, My Rat Terrier would even do that just fine.

Low Impact
11-23-2008, 10:20
Are you referring to the fact that the dog is "Hi-5ing" its owner, or that there is a dog on top of Katahdin (as pets are not allowed in Baxter)?

Either way - this is a real photo. There is no doubt about it. :D

Phreak
11-23-2008, 10:21
Cool pic.

Lone Wolf
11-23-2008, 10:37
probably a "therapy" dog, :rolleyes:

rafe
11-23-2008, 11:15
probably a "therapy" dog, :rolleyes:

We can't all be as well-adjusted as you, Wolf.

Lone Wolf
11-23-2008, 11:18
We can't all be as well-adjusted as you, Wolf.

define well-adjusted. so you're saying anybody with slight mental problems should be able to hike with an untrained mutt anywhere they please?

Strategic
11-23-2008, 12:22
It could easily be a lead dog, i.e., the owner who is high-fiving is blind or partially blind and actually needs to have a dog guide. I knew a hiker years ago when I was a teen who did exactly that, so it's entirely within the realm of possibility.

Don't jump to conclusions LW, you don't know this person and you don't know the circumstances. Assuming that they're somehow doing this illegally and that the dog is "untrained" is a vast leap with no evidence whatsoever.

mudhead
11-23-2008, 12:28
Base of the sign looks odd to me.

KG4FAM
11-23-2008, 12:29
Zero-Zero didn't use a dog and he can't see hardly anything.

wcgornto
11-23-2008, 12:32
That picture was with a linked article a couple of months ago which as I recall was a story about the woman hiking the trail with her dog. There was a discussion then about the dog summiting Katahdin, as the article did not shed any light in that regard.

Jeff
11-23-2008, 12:35
This is '08 thruhiker Butterfly Moon and her dog Luna. Real nice person !!!

warraghiyagey
11-23-2008, 13:09
define well-adjusted. so you're saying anybody with slight mental problems should be able to hike with an untrained mutt anywhere they please?

some of us don't even have therapy dogs.

shwn354
11-23-2008, 13:46
that is real, i believe she said its going on her christmas card

aaroniguana
11-23-2008, 18:34
untrained mutt

Define "untrained mutt". Not every dog on the trail is one. Though I suppose enough are that I don't hike with my dog, though I'd like to. He never leaves my side when we are out of the house.

Froggy
11-23-2008, 18:52
Without getting into the legalities of the dog on the summit, or the details of dog training, that's a real warm picture - made my day.

Thanks for sharing it.

And Butterfly Moon and Luna, many happy miles more.

Lone Wolf
11-23-2008, 19:47
Define "untrained mutt". Not every dog on the trail is one. Though I suppose enough are that I don't hike with my dog, though I'd like to. He never leaves my side when we are out of the house.

Mala has one. and he's allowed to take him anywhere on the trail

Yahtzee
11-23-2008, 19:58
That picture was with a linked article a couple of months ago which as I recall was a story about the woman hiking the trail with her dog. There was a discussion then about the dog summiting Katahdin, as the article did not shed any light in that regard.

Has anybody commented on that linked article informing the readers that this was an illegal act?

Has anybody notified the proper authorities?

Where is the outrage on Whiteblaze? Where is the posse? :banana

Lone Wolf
11-23-2008, 20:12
Has anybody commented on that linked article informing the readers that this was an illegal act?

Has anybody notified the proper authorities?

Baxter park is one of those places where it ain't what you know but who you know. the director plays favorites and just poos on written rules

Kirby
11-23-2008, 20:17
Baxter park is one of those places where it ain't what you know but who you know. the director plays favorites and just poos on written rules

That's the biggest load of horse rubbish, and you, know it.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
11-23-2008, 20:23
That's the biggest load of horse rubbish, and you, know it.

Kirby

no kirby, it's true. if you're a trail "celebrity" rules are bent and broken to accomodate you

superman
11-23-2008, 20:28
That's a beautiful dog. White german shepherds are amazingly smart. Guess how I know.:)

twoshoes06
11-23-2008, 20:31
I would see it taking a long time to summit Katahdin with a dog with the ladders and such, but I think this picture is neat whether it is real or not.

Blissful
11-23-2008, 20:47
But it would be interesting to hear why that dog was allowed to summit if it is not a guide dog.

Manwich
11-23-2008, 21:00
"waaaaaaaaahhh Somebody Brought A Dog Onto A Mountain, Baaawwwwww

Bulldawg
11-23-2008, 22:11
But it would be interesting to hear why that dog was allowed to summit if it is not a guide dog.

I'm not really concerned either way honestly. Guide dog, illegal dog, etc. who cares?

Panzer1
11-23-2008, 22:59

There's nothing to be outraged about. everything is ok.

Panzer

bullseye
11-23-2008, 23:14
I'm slightly mental, do I need to bring an untrained mutt?

weary
11-23-2008, 23:34
no kirby, it's true. if you're a trail "celebrity" rules are bent and broken to accomodate you
Well, that has at least been somewhat true from the earliest days of Baxter State Park. I don't know much about celibrity thru hikers with dogs, but there are a number of "incidental" buildings in the park that were there when Baxter bought the land. Some of these have never been available to the general public, but which are routinely used by park trustees and other VIPs. I stayed at some of them when I worked as a newspaper reporter, covering park matters.

IN a sense I was a celibrity hiker, at least to Baxter Park officials. In 1993 I arrived at Daicey Pond late in the afternoon of Oct. 15. Because I was meeting my wife, I asked the ranger if he had any cabin vacancies.

He offered to radio other campgrounds to see what they might have. No sooner had the message gone out, then a voice came on the radio: "if that's Bob Cummings, give him the VIP cabin."

I didn't like being given special treatment. But I found it interesting to discover a "VIP" Cabin at the pond. Besides, my wife, who I hadn't seen in six weeks, was going to show up shortly, I had just finished hiking a long day from Hurd Brook(?) to Daicey Pond. And I was carrying a tent that would not have held the both of us.

Weary

tom_alan
11-24-2008, 00:01
Don't know about that picture but I know some Smart A$$ used Photoshop on these.

http://hikinghq.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=1&pictureid=111

http://hikinghq.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=1&pictureid=113

Note ~ No tire tracks for the car to get there.

taildragger
11-24-2008, 09:35
It snowed after the car was parked, covering the tracks. blaming photoshop :rollseyes:

TJ aka Teej
11-24-2008, 09:43
Have you ever met Jensen, LW?

TJ aka Teej
11-24-2008, 09:48

Blissful, a Ranger at KSC told me the hiker said Luna was a service dog and the Ranger took her word for it.
I do remember the earlier thread and the news story. No mention was made in the story about Luna being a service dog.

jhick
11-24-2008, 09:50
Don't know about that picture but I know some Smart A$$ used Photoshop on these.

Note ~ No tire tracks for the car to get there.

jeez, W.T.F is wrong with people today?? ;)

It snowed after the car was parked, covering the tracks. blaming photoshop :rollseyes:

sure... it must've been windy up there!

mudhead
11-24-2008, 09:50
I have. He strikes me as a politically savvy lawyer-type.

Connections count.

Alligator
11-24-2008, 09:59
http://www.vetdogs.org/

SouthMark
11-24-2008, 10:40
Much Ado About Nothing

karoberts
11-24-2008, 10:45
I never met Luna as she was behind me, but I heard of her and heard that Luna is a support dog. What type of support I do not know.

Lone Wolf
11-24-2008, 10:48
Have you ever met Jensen, LW?

Jensen who?

Manwich
11-24-2008, 11:08

Jensen Bissell, The guy who you say plays favorites and just poos on written rules. Baxter SP Director

Lone Wolf
11-24-2008, 11:42
i was talkin' about buzz, the last director

weary
11-24-2008, 12:04
Jensen Bissell, The guy who you say plays favorites and just poos on written rules. Baxter SP Director
Aside from too many regulations, Buzz Caverly, who Jensen replaced a couple of years ago, did a pretty good job of keeping the park wild. But he recognized that his bosses were three political appointees, so he did what he had to do in order to carry out the wishes of Governor Baxter.

Probably, even the excess regulations were at least partially in response to the nature of Buzz's bosses. Attorney generals, Fish & Game Commissioners, and Forestry directors all have fulltime jobs. They didn't need any bad publicity from a park that took up probably 2 percent of their time.

In the end, I understand that Buzz was finally forced out. I'm not familiar with the details. I haven't been around the park enough to have a judgment about his replacement. Maybe TJ can fill us in.

Weary

Red Hat
11-24-2008, 13:57
I know Butterfly Moon from hiking in 05. She didn't have Luna with her then. I have my doubts that Luna is a "service dog". But I'm glad Butterfly Moon finished her hike this year, since she had a hard time back in 05. It is a cool photo, whatever.

tom_alan
11-24-2008, 22:40
jeez, W.T.F is wrong with people today?? ;)

sure... it must've been windy up there!

I guess I'll go one step further and let them know it was you with that edited the pictures.:D:D:D

pablodoogle
12-15-2008, 23:47
I've enjoyed reading this thread. Being a member of Luna's "posse", I wanted to remark on the validity of the photo. Having taken the photo, I can verify that it is real! I climbed Katahdin with both Butterfly Moon and Luna (we hiked the AT together from Hot Springs onward). Luna is 3-yr old White German Shepherd (born in '05) and is a service dog. Please refer to http://www.ada.gov/svcanimb.htm for information on service animals. There are many more websites that provide further information as well.

Rarely a day went by that I did not marvel at Luna hiking the AT often much better than me.

KG4FAM
12-15-2008, 23:51
I've enjoyed reading this thread. Being a member of Luna's "posse", I wanted to remark on the validity of the photo. Having taken the photo, I can verify that it is real! I climbed Katahdin with both Butterfly Moon and Luna (we hiked the AT together from Hot Springs onward). Luna is 3-yr old White German Shepherd (born in '05) and is a service dog. Please refer to http://www.ada.gov/svcanimb.htm for information on service animals. There are many more websites that provide further information as well.

Rarely a day went by that I did not marvel at Luna hiking the AT often much better than me.Do you know what the disability the dog was helping with is?

superman
12-16-2008, 00:36

Rarely a day went by that I did not marvel at Luna hiking the AT often much better than me.

It's a great picture. White German Shepherds are awesome.

RITBlake
12-16-2008, 00:41
If I hiked w/ my dog all the way from Georgia, I would do everything in my power to get him to the top of Katahdin including bending the rules of a State Park.

drastic_quench
12-16-2008, 00:45
Okay okay, time to fess up.

I am the dog from the picture. And yes, it is a photoshop, as I am in actuality a Black Lab.

Egads
12-16-2008, 04:37
Forget the dog, the lady is sweet

JAK
12-16-2008, 08:28
I wonder if someone was using photoshop??? !!!Definitely you can tell. She is way out of his league.

JAK
12-16-2008, 09:27
This is the original picture.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p243/JAK_45/Chess/Chess_On_Katahdin.jpg

Manwich
12-16-2008, 10:00
This is the original picture.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p243/JAK_45/Chess/Chess_On_Katahdin.jpg

Next time, use photoshop instead of paint.exe

JAK
12-16-2008, 10:25
Ah really? You could tell?

weary
12-16-2008, 12:00
If I hiked w/ my dog all the way from Georgia, I would do everything in my power to get him to the top of Katahdin including bending the rules of a State Park.
It's not just "a" state park, but a very unique state park. Baxter was created by one man with a vision of preserving a piece of the wildness he had known as a boy. He fought through a long lifetime to keep the park as he had envisioned it should be. The uneducated farm boy who ran the park for most of four decades was fired a couple of years ago because of his continuing battles with special interests who wanted the park to be their vision, not the founders vision.

This is not a good time to belittle the rules that have made Baxter Park so uniquely valuable among our nation's parks, whether state or national.

Weary

pablodoogle
12-16-2008, 15:53
Do you know what the disability the dog was helping with is?

With regard to these types of questions and comments about legality of Luna on Katahdin, I encourage a visit to the ADA weblink (or other websites dealing with service animals) that I provided in my previous post. Butterfly Moon permitted me to discuss the photo (especially since it had an element of entertainment value as many things on WhiteBlaze do) while I did not request permission to discuss the nature of Luna's service.

Scrapes
12-22-2008, 12:01
there's 10 minutes I'll never get back............it has to be photo shopped there is no dog crap in the picture.......there is more dog crap on the trail.......ahhhhhhhhhhhh

cowboy nichols
12-22-2008, 12:18
No one has the authority to ask why the owner of a service dog is accompanied by a service dog. That is an entirely a private issue. Not even L W .

Feral Bill
12-22-2008, 15:11
No one has the authority to ask why the owner of a service dog is accompanied by a service dog. That is an entirely a private issue. Not even L W .

Read the ADA section referenced in the earlier post. It is perfectly legal to ask what service the dog performs. It is also perfectly reasonable. Otherwise what's to stop me from declaring my standard poodle a service dog and take him everywhere I go? Sadly, the world is full of cheats ready to exploit other people's legitimate needs for their own selfish wishes.

kanga
12-22-2008, 15:26
omg y'all. it's a dog on a mountain. get the **** over it. sheesh!

Jack Tarlin
12-22-2008, 15:40
Cowboy:

I take exception with your last post.

I have frequently encountered "service" dogs on the Trail that I know to be serving nothing other than the fact that their owner wished to enjoy their company.

How do I know this?

Because the owners told me so.

And this is happening more often than you think.

If a place like the Smokies bans dogs, this is not done lightly. They have their reasons for doing this. If there are exceptions to this rule, they should be legitimate ones.

To say that nobody has the right to ask questions about a service dog is ridiculous, especially when folks are abusing this policy.

If one's dog is a service dog, this be clearly known, it should be easy to verify (or for anyone to ascertain), and there's nothing wrong with folks asking about it.

Cowboy: I respect your opinion on this matter, and ordinarily I'd agree with it, except most of the "service" dogs I've seen on the Trail have not BEEN registered or certified as such. This is a dis-service and is dis-respectful to areas that have, for whatever reason, banned dogs; it's a dis-service to those who are forced to travel or share facilities with dogs who have no legitimate or legal business being there; it is most of all, a dis-service to those individuals who have a legitimate reason to have a service dog companion and who have gone through proper legitimate channels to have this fact recognized.

sheepdog
12-22-2008, 15:51

I nominate Kanga as the official service dog police. It should come with a badge, a whistle, and 1lb of doggie treats. Is there a second??

We also need a handicapped parking police. I'm tired of watching them wheel into prime spots and hop out like nothing is wrong. I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more.

Rise up....Rise up....

kanga
12-22-2008, 15:53
I nominate Kanga as the official service dog police. It should come with a badge, a whistle, and 1lb of doggie treats. Is there a second??
i'm not accepting unless it involves a gun too.

sheepdog
12-22-2008, 15:58
i'm not accepting unless it involves a gun too.

Ok but only one bullet, which will be kept in your shirt pocket.
Otherwise
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/27/Harry_Callahan.JPG/180px-Harry_Callahan.JPG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Harry_Callahan.JPG)
The dogs got a permit. You got a problem with that?? Do ya, Punk??

cowboy nichols
12-23-2008, 00:22
Jack, under no circumstance would I agree with someone claiming a dog as a service dog when there wasn't a health reason.What I meant was some people who use service dogs do not have visiable health proplems and they are not required to explain their medical issues. This could be avoided with a simple Drs. statement without disclosing the disability of the person. I think people who claim falsely that there dog is a service dog should be fined.

ToyYoda
12-23-2008, 00:48
:eek: Ohnoees. A DOG.

KG4FAM
12-23-2008, 01:06
Jack, under no circumstance would I agree with someone claiming a dog as a service dog when there wasn't a health reason.What I meant was some people who use service dogs do not have visiable health proplems and they are not required to explain their medical issues. This could be avoided with a simple Drs. statement without disclosing the disability of the person. I think people who claim falsely that there dog is a service dog should be fined.If I asked someone about their dog and they pulled a docors note and ADA statement on me I would blow them off. I ain't the law so weather its legal or not for a dog to go in the parks doesn't matter to me. There is no need to be legalistic, all you got to say is: "I got some issues going on that the companionship of the dog helps with and don't feel comfortable talking about it with folks out here."

Jack Tarlin
12-23-2008, 16:01
This is precisely the sort of statement used by folks who are hiking with fake service dogs. Lots of folks would be "helped" or would feel better if they had their dogs with them all the time, but if their dog is with them in a place where dogs are expressly forbiddden, then this is wrong. People with legitimate issues that have a legitimate reason to have a Service Dog should be able to prove this; in fact, it'd be easier if there was a universal badge or license of some sort that could be prominently displayed. This would accomplish two things: It'd make it perfectly clear that a dog was a legit service animal, and it would prevent folks from getting asked questions they may not wish to answer in regards to their physical or mental health. But most "Service Dogs" appear to be simple house pets, plain old animal companions. And the reason they appear this way is because that's exactly what most of them are.

Wise Old Owl
01-02-2009, 20:07
there's 10 minutes I'll never get back............it has to be photo shopped there is no dog crap in the picture.......there is more dog crap on the trail.......ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Kanga, I am over it!:rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin - I don't get it, why do you care? How does this picture affect your life? I must be missing something here.

As my dad would say, "I clean up after my Jack Russel when horse riders clean up after themselves!"

weary
01-02-2009, 20:27
Kanga. and others, though it may be too complex for you to understand, this is a mountain that one man, all by himself, protected. When he gave the 200,000 acres to the "people of Maine," he asked only that it be kept "forever wild" and that human pets be prohibited.

I don't want to debate whether this restriction was wise. But I will maintain until my my dying days, that his wishes should be honored and enforced. I recognize that this is something many on White Blaze seem unable to comprehend. I stand by my belief about the importance of private decisions regarding land they own and offer to give to the public, should be enforced. If government is unwilling enforce the gifts restrictions, the gift should not be accepted. This is a critical matter. We no longer can count on the federal government protecting these few remaining wild places. We are reduced to private persons doing the job the best they can. I maintain the wishes of someone as dedicated as Gov. Baxter was should be adhered to. Your comments are welcome Kanta.

Weary

max patch
01-02-2009, 20:43
Kanga. though you may not be capable of understanding it, this is a mountain that one man, all by himself, protected. When he gave the 200,000 acres to the "people of Maine," he asked only that it be kept "forever wild" and that human pets be prohibited.

I don't want to debate whether this restriction was wise. But I will maintain until my my dying days, that his wishes should be honored and enforced. I recognize that this is something many on White Blaze seem unable to comprehend. I stand by my belief about the importance of private decisions regarding land they own and offer to give to the public, should be enforced. If government is unwilling enforce the gifts restrictions, the gift should not be accepted. This is a critical matter. We no longer can count on the federal government protecting these few remaining wild places. We are reduced to private persons doing the job the best they can. I maintain the wishes of someone as dedicated as Gov. Baxter was should be adhered to. Your comments are welcome Kanta.

Weary

You are, of course, 100% correct.

Wise Old Owl
01-02-2009, 20:47
well that makes a lot more sense - thanks Weary!