PDA

View Full Version : Training

Devon
11-23-2008, 15:57
What's everyone doing to get ready for the trail?

I'm currently walking eight to ten miles on alternate days and will be increasing the milage and the weight of my pack over the coming weeks. Where I live there aren't many hills, but I'm hitting as many possible as I walk and trying to get off pavements and on to more varied terrain when I can.

Should I mix it up and be doing something else beside walking?

Serial 07
11-23-2008, 16:07
if you are exceedingly overweight or have plans on doing big miles early (maintaining a faster pace from beginning to end), then i would say you are doing the right things...the trail is difficult on the body...if you are just going out to hike, the trail will get you into trail shape...especially if you don't live in a mountainous area, i would think it's difficult to recreate the trail experience...staying in good shape in life is a good idea, trail or no trail...

oh, i would say stretching on a regular basis is important...keeping the muscles limber...most underrated thing a person can do for themselves to help their body...

Dyadya Tim
11-25-2008, 00:36
Sounds like you are doing yourself some good. Just remember that there is more to hiking any trail then just walking. Get yourself on some stairs helps to mimic the ups and downs of mountain hiking. Also remember that a successful thru-hike is more then just physical shape, but also mental shape. Any whatever your doing keep positive, think about your goals for just a day. Yes, physically the trail will get you in shape, but the mental really needs to be worked on well before you reach the trail. A little tip that I got from another thru-hiker, the third day is always the hardest, get through it and you breath better, walk better and feel better. Best of luck and I hope to see you out there next year.

twoshoes06
11-25-2008, 00:47
I definitely started the trail without doing any training.

The important thing is that you do not over-do yourself when you first start. The only reason that a lot of training is necessary is if you plan on doing big miles right from the start or if your pack weighs over 35 pounds.

Either way, listen to you body and don't over do it to begin with. It will adjust accordingly. It always does.

Monkeywrench
11-25-2008, 08:24

I run marathons, and try -- with varying degrees of success -- to keep up with my running during the long dark season of death most normal folks simply call winter. I also get out for the occasional weekend hike when I can.

I won't be in the best shape of my life when I start up the Approach Trail next March, but I suspect I'll be in better shape than some. In any case, I'll keep plugging away for a couple of weeks and things will start to fall into place.

I think I am going to sign up for a mid-February marathon as that will give me a goal and help keep me out pounding the pavement between now and then.

Lone Wolf
11-25-2008, 08:25
it's just walking. no need to "train" per se. if you're fat and out of shape you might wanna hit the treadmill but if you're somewhat fit just put the pack on and go.

sherrill
11-25-2008, 09:19
What LW says.

Plus, you have to remember that with a full pack, your hips and shoulders will probably be sore in the mornings for a while, especially on those brisk spring mornings.

burger
11-25-2008, 10:36
I would agree with the others above who mentioned cardio and hill training. Even if you don't have hills to train on, you should do some cardio (running, biking, elliptical trainer if you have access to a gym) to prepare yourself for the exertion of long, steep climbs. It's nice to be able to do those long or steep climbs without having to stop every 2 minutes to catch your breath.

BobTheBuilder
11-25-2008, 11:21
In my experience, the most important thing is to intentionally limit your miles the first three or four days. The one thing that I learned that is less obvious is that it will help your calves tremendously if you do some stairs DOWN while you're training. You can save yourself alot of pain the first week or so if your calves are in shape.

jersey joe
11-25-2008, 11:28
The better shape you get in before hitting the trail, the easier it will be to hit the ground running and the less you will have to "take it easy" in the beginning. Anything that improves your cardio will help. Suppliment your walking with biking, swimming...anything that gets your heart rate up. The side effect will be that you will be a healthier happier person in the months leading up to your thru hike.

Gumbi
11-25-2008, 11:46
I'm going to start eating Wheaties tomorrow...

jersey joe
11-25-2008, 12:11
I'm going to start eating Wheaties tomorrow...
Better make that frosted flakes, they outbid Wheaties for Michael Phelps, which makes them the new "breakfast of champions".

Mags
11-25-2008, 15:38
I never understood this "the trail will get you into shape" theory.

Why start a 2000+ mile hike out of shape? For your overall health, never mind a thru-hike, exercise at least 3 days a week.

You'll feel better, fit into your clothes better and just maybe enjoy the start of a long hike even more. :)

Joe8484
11-25-2008, 15:47
I start food training on Thursday:banana.

Grumpy
11-25-2008, 17:05
I am not doing much out of the ordinary... life has kept me in pretty decent shape and I see no need to "train up" for the hike. As much hiking as I have done in the military it seems simple and the only thing which gets you comfortable is hiking and streaching. Though every one is right on keeping a decent cardio fitness level... not just for the hike but for life.

Of all the comments I enjoyed the one about getting mentally in shape... of course most of society thinks walking 2175 miles is totally crazy. Then again rarely has anyone acused me of being sane.

See you all Feb 22nd...

Boudin
11-25-2008, 18:24
I actually agree with LW. It IS just walking. Even if you are fat and out of shape, the trail will whip you into shape in just a few weeks. If you are healthy and in good shape, the trail will surprise you. Start off slow and listen to your body. No need to rush at the beginning. The trail ain't goin' nowhere. Don't get me wrong, you gotta walk....but enjoy some the parties in GA and ease in to things.

DapperD
11-25-2008, 19:50

I'm currently walking eight to ten miles on alternate days and will be increasing the milage and the weight of my pack over the coming weeks. Where I live there aren't many hills, but I'm hitting as many possible as I walk and trying to get off pavements and on to more varied terrain when I can.

Should I mix it up and be doing something else beside walking?I started walking over the course of the summer(without a pack) in conjunction with stricter eating habits. I also alternate the walking with free-weight workouts. I starting training with a pack recently (about 30 lbs.) and am fortunate to be in an area with steep hills and trails. I have been climbing these, up and down, starting out doing like 1 or 2 hours only, and let me say that after about 2 hours of this, all I want to do is sleep! I think that those who are not actually out climbing hills and mountains with their packs, I hate to say, are going to be in for an awakening when they begin their thru-hikes, unless they are in good shape!

Jorel
11-25-2008, 20:41
I did the Whites in 2006 w/o training, and it sucked. I am working out every day now, lifting weights, walking w/ pack, eating right, vitamins, etc. I am also reading WB for all the great tips, and watching lots of AT videos, reading journals and AT books, and in general having a lot of fun getting ready. There is a great article on WB "Physical Preparation for a Thru Hike" which inspired me to work hard to get this 56 year old body physically and mentally ready as much as possible. Just my opinion. Lots of people more experienced than me may disagree, and are probably right.

Bare Bear
11-25-2008, 21:40
I did 500 miles at age 19 following knee surgery rather than lay around, it was just some pain to get through. Then at 34 I got divorced and did another 500 miles including Pa, the Whites, and the Wilderness, still didn't seem too bad. Then at age 54 started the thru and thought I would die the first month. Lost 70 pounds, felt great by the end though. I really do not think any thing will 'get you ready' unless it is hiking with a pack everyday for 8-10 hours a day. Oh yeah, that would be hiking....

Mags
11-25-2008, 21:51
Lots of people more experienced than me may disagree, and are probably right.

I tend to agree with you for whatever it is worth....

Here's the article:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=184425#post184425

HikeGalPA
11-25-2008, 21:53
I'd recommend yoga. It will teach you stretches which will benefit you at the end of a hiking day. Also it will help you with flexibility and balance. In addition, any exericses that help your 'core' muscles would be good. A strong core will keep your abs and back strong and less prone to getting sore. Obviously, any cardio is going to benefit you- mix it up. Hiking, biking, etc.

jersey joe
11-25-2008, 22:18
I actually agree with LW. It IS just walking. Even if you are fat and out of shape, the trail will whip you into shape in just a few weeks.
Hikers starting their thru hike out of shape likely contributes to the high drop out rate. Get in shape NOW...if for nothing else, for your health!

BarleyRain
11-25-2008, 22:45
We started the trail fat and out of shape. Yeah, the first month was rough and we could only do 6-8 miles a day at first. But the trail WILL get you into shape if you keep at it, and we finished in 7.5 months, doing 20's and 24's routinely at the end. Now we're in the best shape of our lives and trying to maintain it.

That being said, the best prep other than actual backpacking is staying in good cardiovascular shape which you should do anyway for your health. At least 20 minutes of aerobic exercise 3 or more days a week. Good luck!

Serial 07
11-26-2008, 00:52
one more tip i haven't seen yet...break in your shoes on these hikes or walks or whatever...early, blisters are the "cardiovascular disease" of the trail...the number one killer... :(