PDA

View Full Version : Packing HEET

joshua5878
11-23-2008, 16:05
NOBO leaving in March, wanted to ask experienced hikers how much HEET to pack (for my Brasslite stove) and what kind of containers you favored to pack in the fuel. Will be hiking with my brother with 2 stoves.

I have played around with the stove and it seems it takes at least 2 ozs to just bring ice water to a rolling boil. Does that sound about right? Thanks in advance!

Serial 07
11-23-2008, 16:13
lotsa threads on this...search'em out...

KG4FAM
11-23-2008, 17:41
start experimenting with meals at home and see how much you need for however many meals you want to cook per day. Then look at how many days you will be out until your next resupply. Multiply, throw a dash extra just in case and there you go.

JimM
11-23-2008, 19:32
Take a look at the container on the brasslite website. It has worked well for me. I made a base and separate windscreen from aluminum flashing. The base is nothing more than a piece slightly larger in diameter than my pot. I bent the edges to conform to the base of the pot so it is easy to pack. The aluminum base gives my Turbo IID stove extra stability and reflects the heat.

Skidsteer
11-23-2008, 20:13
I have played around with the stove and it seems it takes at least 2 ozs to just bring ice water to a rolling boil. Does that sound about right? Thanks in advance!

Were you using a windscreen?

atraildreamer
11-23-2008, 20:35
NOBO leaving in March, wanted to ask experienced hikers how much HEET to pack (for my Brasslite stove) and what kind of containers you favored to pack in the fuel. Will be hiking with my brother with 2 stoves.

Heet comes in a nice plastice 12 ounce bottle...why not use that? :-?

Are you melting ice, or liquid water that is just above the freezing point? :confused:

It takes a LOT of btu's to transition (fancy term for "melting" ;) ) solid ice to the liquid water state. This may be the reason for the high fuel use. Also, how much ice/water are you trying to heat to boiling? The usual amout is 1-2 cups (16-32 ounces). Are you dumping ice into a open pot as it melts? You will lose a lot of heat without a pot cover or some type. The use of awindscreen wil also help reduce heat loss and increase the efficiency of the sytem.

If you want a rough idea of the amount of fuel needed to heat up a known quantity of water (not ice), check out my "Stove Efficency" article in the artilcles listing of WB.

pure_mahem
11-23-2008, 21:42
Actually there's only 8 ounces in a cup, just saying. maybe you were thinking of 16 ounces in a lb when you were typing.

atraildreamer
11-24-2008, 16:06
Actually there's only 8 ounces in a cup, just saying. maybe you were thinking of 16 ounces in a lb when you were typing.

Had a "Senior moment"/"Brain Fart"...take your pick. :D :banana
1 to 2 cups (8 to 16 ounces) of water.

joshua5878
11-29-2008, 11:50
Were you using a windscreen?

No, this was inside, thats why I ask, I assume it takes longer outside??

Spock
11-29-2008, 12:27
Serial07!!!
Good to hear you're still around!
Spock