PDA

View Full Version : The time has come!!!!

88BlueGT
11-23-2008, 18:56
Oh boy, the time has come to make my decision final on whether I am thru-hiking in 09 or not and I have come to a standstill. I thought that I had alot more time but I just realized that if I going to thru-hike I cannot schedule classes for next semester :-? I need to have registration in pretty soon and I have no clue what I'm going to do yet. I love to dream big but whenever it comes down to it, I always loose touch. Will it happen again this time....

Well, just a rant.......

nitewalker
11-23-2008, 20:22
get r dun.... when does the semester end? if you have enough time try doing half the trail. that would be a great accomplishment in itself....you will figure it out

Blissful
11-23-2008, 20:51
Have you got your gear basically in order? Do you have the funds for any remaining gear and the hike itself? Are you motivated to do this day after day, week after week, no matter what? All good things to check first before making the final decision. Good luck. :)

superman
11-23-2008, 21:05
It's time to grow up kid. Make your decision and get on the on ramp to the rest of your life. You can't make history if you don't step up. A ship is safe in a harbor but that's not what they're made for. No guts, no glory. The worst thing that will happen is that you'll die, which ever you choose.

88BlueGT
11-23-2008, 21:33
get r dun.... when does the semester end? if you have enough time try doing half the trail. that would be a great accomplishment in itself....you will figure it out

The semester ends like May 17th I think, which is going to be too late for me to leave. I would like to THINK that I would still be able to make it in time but I certainly dont want to have to "force" myself to make mileage I cant handle, if its going to be a strictly time oriented trip I rather stay home you know. If I do it, I want this trip to be releasing stress, not adding more to it lol.

I do live in NJ (close to the halfway mark)... maybe I can start late and do half like you said.... if I am making good enough time (which I doubt) I can do the whole trail. Good option though, regardless.

Hooch
11-23-2008, 21:35
Just an idea, but since you're in NJ, why not hike half SOBO this year and the rest of it NOBO next year? Or vice-versa. Whatever way you go for it, I wish you the best of luck and happy trails.

88BlueGT
11-23-2008, 21:38
Have you got your gear basically in order? Do you have the funds for any remaining gear and the hike itself? Are you motivated to do this day after day, week after week, no matter what? All good things to check first before making the final decision. Good luck. :)

I have all the gear that I would need, but theres gear that I would certainly like to swap out before the hike just to lighten up the load. Right now I am doing 3-4 day spring trips full loaded around 24-26 lbs (thats w a 4lb ruck, 1lb 5oz pad, etc.) I confidently think I could pull a thru off under 30 if I got the gear that I wanted. As far as money goes, I have a little over 2k saved up right now that I have been holding onto for some time just for this trip. I'm still saving now. Worse comes to worse I have no problem taking out a loan to make the trip.

As far as dedication, I have never done more than a 7 day trip but I never want to go home! I'm honestly not worried about not making it, if I decide I dont want to do it, I will not frown upon it, it's just obviously not for me. I'm a young man so I obsess over the glory and testosterone usually keeps me going :)

88BlueGT
11-23-2008, 21:40
It's time to grow up kid. Make your decision and get on the on ramp to the rest of your life. You can't make history if you don't step up. A ship is safe in a harbor but that's not what they're made for. No guts, no glory. The worst thing that will happen is that you'll die, which ever you choose.

Thats exactally how I have been thinking about it. I mean, I catch heat from everyone (my GF, parents, friends) for wanting to do this trip because I'm in college. They keep telling me to wait until I am done school. Problem is, I'm shooting for my masters and have a long way left so the by the time I get done school its going to be time for a career, and I'm sure by that time I'll have too many bills and responsibility to be able to pull something off like this (to all the people who do, more power to ya, I dont think I can).

superman
11-23-2008, 23:19
Thats exactally how I have been thinking about it. I mean, I catch heat from everyone (my GF, parents, friends) for wanting to do this trip because I'm in college. They keep telling me to wait until I am done school. Problem is, I'm shooting for my masters and have a long way left so the by the time I get done school its going to be time for a career, and I'm sure by that time I'll have too many bills and responsibility to be able to pull something off like this (to all the people who do, more power to ya, I dont think I can).

Yup, I had a window of opportunity to hike the AT in 1968. I got out of the Army in 68...I actually would have hiked in 69. I married my ex-wife instead. My next opportunity didn't happen until 2000. It's all up to you.

88BlueGT
11-24-2008, 00:24
wow, thats a HUGE time gap there!

Wags
11-24-2008, 09:42
i vote you finish school and head nobo in may

Plodderman
11-24-2008, 10:10
Give it a shot and this is hard to say for a parent currently paying three kids through college. But you only live once and it gets harder the older you get to carve out three or four months to hike. I hike about three weeks a year and enjoy every minute of it.

Lyle
11-24-2008, 10:17
The semester ends like May 17th I think, which is going to be too late for me to leave. I would like to THINK that I would still be able to make it in time but I certainly dont want to have to "force" myself to make mileage I cant handle, if its going to be a strictly time oriented trip I rather stay home you know. If I do it, I want this trip to be releasing stress, not adding more to it lol.

I do live in NJ (close to the halfway mark)... maybe I can start late and do half like you said.... if I am making good enough time (which I doubt) I can do the whole trail. Good option though, regardless.

Be ready to start hiking Immediately after classes end. I hiked with folks who were starting mid-May who were planning to "go as far as I get". Good way to tackle it. You may surprise yourself and be one of the speed hikers who will get it done. Or you may get to Harpers Ferry and come back next year. What difference does it make? You will have an excellent time and derive GREAT benefits.

Go For It!! And don't forget to have a blast.

buff_jeff
11-24-2008, 10:32
I totally agree with Lyle. Assuming you have this summer off as well as the following, why not just go as far as you can each summer until you finish?

Bare Bear
11-24-2008, 12:18
Leave as soon as school is out for the semester.
Go NOBO from Springer. See how you feel at Harpers Ferry, go on or finish the second 'half' the next time. For me, I section hiked some parts three times before finally going thru to Katahdin. I felt that by stopping at Abol Bridge that I would have that last few miles and the K top to keep me motivated for the thru. Of course now I am strongly thinking of going again it will be another thru...but I am still glad I waited for that first summit of K to be the 'finish' rather than flip flop etc. that many urged me to do years ago. Some things just seem right, nd for me a traditional NOBO form Springer is it. Others differ and there are many good reasons to flip. Enjoy your hike no mattter what you choose.

88BlueGT
11-24-2008, 13:40
All of these ideas sound good actually.

Another thing that I'm worried about is, if I do schedule classes that run until mid May... when am I going to be preparing myself for this trip, scheduling, training, etc. I got out twice this year so far because school has been holding me back so much... I can't let that be the case for next year. I want to have some months to train before I jump into a 1000+ mi. journey. I guess I have to make up my mind first and than see...... hmmmmm... decisions decisions...

Lyle
11-24-2008, 13:47
If you are in reasonable shape, you do not NEED to worry about training. If you can, great. If you can't, just plan to go a bit slower initially. You will probably be in shape within a couple of weeks. DON'T USE THAT AS AN EXCUSE!

As far as scheduling. This has been covered recently in another thread, but the jest of it is:

Most planning goes out the window right off the bat. Get one of the guidebooks and maps, plan on about 4 days between Amicalola and Neels, so buy and carry enough food for that. When you get to Neels, check the guidebook for your next possible re-supply. Check Baltimore Jacks article here on Whitblaze, plan and buy accordingly. Just need to continue this over and over until you hit Katadin.

Generally speaking, and I think most hikers will agree, people way OVERPLAN their hikes. Especially in summer.

88BlueGT
11-24-2008, 14:19
Right now I could certainly consider myself to be in reasonable shape. I recently just lost 17lbs (in the last 3 months) and I am at my optimum weight (for my age/height). So as far as weight goes, I'm not overweight just lacking the endurance.

As far as scheduling goes, I know that alot of people overplan, this is a common thing that I see all the time but theres still alot that needs to be done.. dates, how I'm going to get from NJ to GA, from ME back to NJ, food, etc. What I'm going to do about a bounce box (whether I will have one or not), whether or not I'm going to do maildrops. I didnt want to do any mail drops because I know that you can pretty easily resupply yourself along the trail but I read that there are some places that are iffy... I dont want to be stuck wtih insuffient food, etc. for a period of time whether its a day or a week.

I don't want to take next semester off just because I already took 2 yrs off from college when I got out of HS, I don't want to take any more. I'm thinking that maybe I will just start mid may. How much is this going to affect the "social" aspect of my hike... are there still a decent amount of people who leave at this time? I was really looking forward to hopefully finding a group of people to hike with. I have NEVER hiked by myself and I'm not sure if I would like it or not, I was planning on having some company.

Lyle
11-24-2008, 14:32
Right now I could certainly consider myself to be in reasonable shape. I recently just lost 17lbs (in the last 3 months) and I am at my optimum weight (for my age/height). So as far as weight goes, I'm not overweight just lacking the endurance.

The endurance will come naturally once you start hiking if you plan reasonable days at first (<10 or 12 miles).

As far as scheduling goes, I know that alot of people overplan, this is a common thing that I see all the time but theres still alot that needs to be done.. dates, how I'm going to get from NJ to GA, Yep, you need to figure that one out from ME back to NJ, food A quick stop at any grocery store will get you started, the rest can be bought along the way, etc. What I'm going to do about a bounce box (whether I will have one or not) This decision can be made along the way, once you decide if you need one, whether or not I'm going to do maildrops Doing mail drops will add a lot of hassle to you prep. They aren't necessary, so why bother. I didnt want to do any mail drops because I know that you can pretty easily resupply yourself along the trail but I read that there are some places that are iffy... If you think your next supply will be iffy, then mail your self a box from the previous town - problem solved. I dont want to be stuck wtih insuffient food, etc. for a period of time whether its a day or a week.

I don't want to take next semester off just because I already took 2 yrs off from college when I got out of HS, I don't want to take any more. I'm thinking that maybe I will just start mid may. How much is this going to affect the "social" aspect of my hike You will still meet plenty of other hikers doing the same as you... are there still a decent amount of people who leave at this time? I was really looking forward to hopefully finding a group of people to hike with Shouldn't be a problem. I have NEVER hiked by myself and I'm not sure if I would like it or not, I was planning on having some company. You will have company.

Hope this helps

88BlueGT
11-24-2008, 14:42
Yes, that did help... I think I am going to pass on the mail drops... well see though.

As far as getting there, I'll greyhound... getting back could be interesting but I'm sure I can find some family member who missed me bad enough to drive to ME to pick me up :)

traildust
11-24-2008, 15:33
We have tried twice at a thru hike. Twice the trail won. Injuries forced us off. There is no clear cut answer anyone can give you. The good news is you have lots of options AND you are still young. Lots of wisdom being imparted here. Still your choice. Hope to see you out there in 09 for a week or a month or the entire trail. Will make your master's work all the more meaningful.

traildust

88BlueGT
11-24-2008, 15:40
Wow thats unfortunate that injuries kicked you off. Do you plan on attempting again?

Wags
11-24-2008, 23:15
gt why not just start from jersey in may and head north, end at khat. then next year start at jersey and head south?

i'm goign NOBO across PA next summer after i get done w/ classes, maybe we could meet up...

88BlueGT
11-25-2008, 00:09
That makes sense, BUT I just kind of have my heart set of ENDING at Katadhin... for some reason, for me, it seems to be the only way lol.

I'm still not sure when I want to start, I figure that I'm going to miss a semester no matter what. If I leave in April, I'm missing next semester but I'll be back for the the next. If I leave late, I'll make next semester but I'll miss the next. So honestly, it doesnt really matter now that I think about it. I just dont want to crunch myself for time and I would really like to pull it off in one shot. Worst case scenario is that I would leave late May (20th approx), and I'm loving it but don't have time to make it to the Big K.... that would really ruin my trip. I know there are alternatives such as going to K and than turning around and comming back for the rest but I would highly choose not to do that. I'm still weighing out the options.

Can anyone give me any obvious advantages or disadvantages of leave in Early April opposed to leaving Mid-Late May? Be specific! This is important for me! lol

Wags
11-25-2008, 00:21
you'll hit PA in late july or august and water will be scarce, bugs really bad and hot as balls if you leave springer in late may

DapperD
11-25-2008, 00:24
That makes sense, BUT I just kind of have my heart set of ENDING at Katadhin... for some reason, for me, it seems to be the only way lol.

I'm still not sure when I want to start, I figure that I'm going to miss a semester no matter what. If I leave in April, I'm missing next semester but I'll be back for the the next. If I leave late, I'll make next semester but I'll miss the next. So honestly, it doesnt really matter now that I think about it. I just dont want to crunch myself for time and I would really like to pull it off in one shot. Worst case scenario is that I would leave late May (20th approx), and I'm loving it but don't have time to make it to the Big K.... that would really ruin my trip. I know there are alternatives such as going to K and than turning around and comming back for the rest but I would highly choose not to do that. I'm still weighing out the options.

Can anyone give me any obvious advantages or disadvantages of leave in Early April opposed to leaving Mid-Late May? Be specific! This is important for me! lolHow about not being rushed and the ability to finish. The ability to take ones time and enjoy a most likely once in a lifetime trek. If you leave mid -May you will be handicapping yourself with high heat, a rushed trip(if you intend to through-hike), and little time off to enjoy R&R. If you intend to do a flip-flop(which you said you aren't too keen on doing) then you could make it work. Sounds like you may need to rethink your trip, at least this year, and maybe just do a large section hike, and finish at another date.

88BlueGT
11-25-2008, 00:41
I was just informed with some crucial information! One thing that I was worried about was that if I left in April, the next semester after that starts Aug 27th. I was worried that I wouldnt be back in time for that cause I could be cutting it really close and I didnt want to have to come home and be in school the next week :/

But I just found out that they have offer late classes starting in mid October. I think this just gave a big plus to leave in April. No rush, popular starting point, only miss 1 semester of school, decent weather, etc. etc. etc. Well guys, I guess its time to start running through the gear and buying/testing the new stuff ;)