PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle from Fontana back to Springer

Plodderman
11-23-2008, 21:24
Hiking in May from Springer to Fontana and looking for a shuttle back to Springer. Anyone have any suggestions. We hiked the Smokies a few years ago form Fontana to Davenport and had someone shuttle us back to the car at Fonatana.

10-K
11-24-2008, 06:21
Hiking in May from Springer to Fontana and looking for a shuttle back to Springer. Anyone have any suggestions. We hiked the Smokies a few years ago form Fontana to Davenport and had someone shuttle us back to the car at Fonatana.

I've had good experiences with The Hike Inn. They're just up the road from the dam. http://www.thehikeinn.netfirms.com/

Used them for a shuttle when I hiked Springer to Fontana and Davenport Gap to Fontana. Both times everything went according to plan with no surprises.

Plodderman
11-24-2008, 10:08
10-K Thanks that's who we used a couple of years ago. Do yo remember what they charged. fro the ride back to Springer and where did you leave your vehicle at Springer.

papa john
11-24-2008, 10:32
You can leave your vehicle in the parking lot right across from the visitor center. I left my motorcycle there for 4 days and they watched over it for me. No issues at all.

Plodderman
11-24-2008, 11:30
Sounds like a plan papa john.

10-K
11-24-2008, 11:49
10-K Thanks that's who we used a couple of years ago. Do yo remember what they charged. fro the ride back to Springer and where did you leave your vehicle at Springer.

I don't remember what the charge was but it was reasonable or I'd remember. :)

We parked at the Hike Inn, shuttled to Springer and hiked back to Fontana so I dunno about leaving a car at Springer.

This was a great hike - probably my favorite stretch of trail so far.

papa john
11-24-2008, 14:03
Just DON'T show up at The Hike Inn on a motorcycle!!! Don't even think about it.

10-K
11-24-2008, 15:28
Just DON'T show up at The Hike Inn on a motorcycle!!! Don't even think about it.

Or talk politics if you're not a Republican.

All kidding aside, Jim and Nancy were very easy to get along with and everything went off without a hitch both times I used their services.

papa john
11-24-2008, 17:01
Ditto, but they are very anti-motorcycle. Read their guestbook for the latest adventure! I have used them numerous times and have stayed with them at least 5 times when I was hiking in that area. Nancy even came to the rescue pretty much last minute when we were soaking wet up on Clingman's Dome.

Plodderman
11-24-2008, 17:51
Yea we are going to leave our car at the Hikers Inn and Shuttle to Springer. Last year we did Atkins to Damascus and I loved the Grayson Highlands.

10-K
11-24-2008, 18:08
Yea we are going to leave our car at the Hikers Inn and Shuttle to Springer. Last year we did Atkins to Damascus and I loved the Grayson Highlands.

I enjoyed that section too.

There was one place i totally lost my bearings... Remember a place called the Gables or the Corral ...? It was a big fenced in area...

I walked through there and followed a horse trail for about a half mile before I realized I wasn't on the AT anymore.. I wasn't lost but I was sure turned around..

Plodderman
11-24-2008, 21:20
Yea I remember it well 10-K and as I arrived there the two guys I was hiking with starting waving at me or I might still be out there. I think it is called the Corral.

Hikerhead
11-24-2008, 21:57
It's called Scales. The AT goes right thru the middle of it. But I can see how you might get on the wrong trail. There's 4 gravel roads and another trail coming into it. Just follow the white blazing.

Plodderman
11-25-2008, 16:10
Yea Hikerhead it seems silly to think you could miss the trail because it runs right through the middle but it is confusing. Probably more of just my own confusion coming to such a wide open space all of a sudden.

Marta
11-25-2008, 16:30
Don't feel bad. I've been passing through there with other hikers who were distracted by some of the other choices.

EMAN
11-26-2008, 19:55
What makes these folks so anti motorcycle?

Hikerhead
11-26-2008, 20:03
Yea Hikerhead it seems silly to think you could miss the trail because it runs right through the middle but it is confusing. Probably more of just my own confusion coming to such a wide open space all of a sudden.

I've screwed up better than that, like hiking 5 miles in the wrong direction down in Slick Rock. Most of us have taking the wrong trail somewhere/sometime.

papa john
11-26-2008, 20:24
What makes these folks so anti motorcycle?

They are very close to the world famous Tail of the Dragon which draws motorcycles from all over the place. 311 turns in 13 miles or some such thing. I have ridden it once on the Goldwing. Can't say I'd want to go back. Anyhoo, there are lots of motorcycles in the area and they don't always follow the speed laws and stuff.

Rambler
11-28-2008, 23:31
Here is where I would highly recommend you stay at the GA end. They shuttle and would probably allow you a place to park. Two local GA folks thru-hiked and saw a need for servicing the southern end. Breakfast there is also not to be missed.
http://www.hikerhostel.com/

Plodderman
12-03-2008, 18:29
Thanks Rambler I will check it out.