PDA

View Full Version : Pack size

.5step
11-24-2008, 01:39
Hey all,

Whether you're looking to thru-hike, or just take a 1-2 week jaunt somewhere, I wanted to ask you all about the volume and weights of your packs--and what size works/doesn't work for you all.

I have an Osprey Aether 60 that is about 6 years old right now and am entertaining the idea of a new bag (aka my birthday is coming up and the gf needs some gift ideas).

I'm actually heading into an outfitters store tomorrow with all of my gear and some food (sleeping bag, tent, stove, campset, dry set of clothes plus some winter gear, etc...) to check out some bags, but wanted to get your suggestions on what else I should be looking for, steering clear from, etc.

Any thoughts or tips would be great!

TwoForty
11-24-2008, 02:31
What is the average weight of the gear you usually carry? Are you going to be doing any major gear changes in the future? If so, I would upgrade the pack last.

Honestly, the Aether is a great pack. If it works for you, I'd keep it.

Survivor Dave
11-24-2008, 04:45
Ditto to that. I have an Aether 60 and wouldn't part with it. I think you might have an older model. I'd check out the new one if your heart is set on it.http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/AetherSeriesMens/Aether60/ It lists for $219

aaroniguana
11-24-2008, 07:54
Volume is a problem over weight for me. I've topped out at at 17 pounds but am stalled at 45 liters. Mostly because I haven't found a larger pack I like as much as my UL45.

daddytwosticks
11-24-2008, 08:48
I have a 2003 model Aether 60 as my "beast" pack. I started out with this pack when I got back into hiking. I'm just a section hiker, but I believe if I were to start a thru-hike next year, the Aether 60 would be my go to pack. I'd consider myself a lightweight hiker. :)

nitewalker
11-24-2008, 09:08
i used a GG nimbus latitude packed with 36lbs of gear on a 4 day section last week. the pack is aprox 3500 cu in or so...i had way to much food, like always....

verber
11-24-2008, 13:33
If you are generally carrying around 30-35lbs and 3800ci of stuff (e.g. filling up the Aether) I don't think you will find an improved pack, look somewhere else for presents :-) I think the Aether 60 is one of the very best packs for people who take a light weight approach to backpacking. The original Aether 60 was my go-to pack until I finished a transition to an ultralight style. I still have my Aether 60 which I use as a loaner pack. Pretty much everyone loves it. When I finished my transition to lighter (and more compact gear) I switched to a Granite Gear Vapor Trail which is quite comfortable and just 2lbs.

Chatter
11-24-2008, 15:20
Interesting search you are going through. It sounds oh so familiar to a lot of hikers. Not only with packs, but lots of other gear too.

I nearly replied to this post early this a.m. to give my opinion right away, but figured that when one finds "the perfect" pack, or a variety of packs for different hiking situations, one is best off staying with those finds. However, after reading the posts so far, I think you might be amazed at the choices available since you bought your Osprey. I've found for my purposes, the following choices work:

Light weight for 2-3 days:
OR Drycomp Summit Sack
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/drycomp_summit_sack.html
At 12.2 oz., this waterproof pack is best for less than 20 lbs. of gear
Holds 1885 cu. in. or 30.9 L

Cooler overnighters or two-day hikes:
GG Vapor Trail
http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/vaportrail.html
2lbs 5oz in weight, holding 59 liters or 3600 cubic inches
Great comfort for 25-30 lbs. of gear

3 Days Cooler weather and Winter hiking/camping:
Mountain Smith Boundary
http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?productId=78&categoryId=8&subCategoryId=7&subCategory2Id=1
4 lbs. 6 oz., with a capacity of 4577 cu. in. or 75 L
For winter hiking/camping for up to 35 lbs. \
(my Moutainsmith is an ancient Frostfire, which is no longer made, but the Boundary seems the closest available today in weight and capacity.

Local Practice Hikes to keep in shape:
Lowe Alpine Contour
http://www.lowealpine.com/products/Detail.asp?ProductTypeID=10&ProductGroupID=1235&Position=17&SpecificActivityID=
6lb10oz, which will hold 65+15lt or 4000+900cu.in
This is my training pack, which was bought (unused at Salv. Army for $4)
It will easily carry 60 lbs. if you ever need to lug that much weight.

One common denominator is that the heavier the pack weight, the more comfortable the pack (with a heavier load). When doing your comparisons, try to put more weight in a lightweight pack, and it just isn't worth the strain.

These are some packs I've decided upon for my own use, but so much about gear is what fits your own preference. Only trying on different packs with your selection of gear for the hiking situation will work, so you are going about it the right way by taking your gear to the store(s) to try on different packs.

I could also chatter on about different pack preferences for different terrain and weather conditions, but that would be pushing it.

Generally, though, I would say that if you are sold on the Osprey, you may find that the newer version Osprey is your best choice for your hiking needs. Good luck on your search.

.5step
11-24-2008, 22:20
Thanks for the tips! I've loved my osprey, but I've had trouble carrying my tent with the aether 60--it's a bit difficult without side pockets for the poles and material.

What have you all done to remedy that situation?

I looked at a few Gregory packs, including the z65, which was interesting but not inspiring.

In response to TwoForty, I'm comfortable with the rest of my gear--if anything, i'll be shedding some stuff.

They didn't have the new Aether60 where I looked but I'll continue my search elsewhere and play around with it.

What have you all used?

.5step
11-24-2008, 22:23
Whoops---ignore that last "what have you all used"

taildragger
11-24-2008, 22:28
ULA catalyst or ULA circuit

I can use the circuit as a four season bag, 3 season w/ bear can. Just pack wisely and these packs are awesome and ride like caddies

verber
11-24-2008, 23:54
Thanks for the tips! I've loved my osprey, but I've had trouble carrying my tent with the aether 60--it's a bit difficult without side pockets for the poles and material.

I am confused. The Aether 60 does have side pockets and straps so poles could run up the side... but why not attach your tent vertically with the straps that can be used for the strait-jacket compression? If I was you, I would been thinking about a lighter and more compact tent. I was able to get all my gear (including tent) and bear canister w/ 7 days of food inside the Aether 60 and then lashed my daughters sleeping pad to the outside since it won't fit into her pack.

--mark

.5step
11-25-2008, 01:09
I am confused. The Aether 60 does have side pockets and straps so poles could run up the side... but why not attach your tent vertically with the straps that can be used for the strait-jacket compression? If I was you, I would been thinking about a lighter and more compact tent. I was able to get all my gear (including tent) and bear canister w/ 7 days of food inside the Aether 60 and then lashed my daughters sleeping pad to the outside since it won't fit into her pack.

--mark

I purchased mine 7 years ago--mine has mesh side pockets, but no side straps That's not a bad idea as far as attaching my tent vertically with the jacket compress straps, but it does sort of reduce access to the large external mesh pocket on the back of the pack, which I generally use for things I want to grab quickly and don't want squeezed.

I'm going to play around with different packing techniques tomorrow and see about fitting my tent with gear inside the pack.

And as far as tent, I have an MSR Hubba Hubba that I'm pretty happy with.

Hooch
11-25-2008, 05:28
ULA Catalyst (http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.htm). 'Nuff said. Brian comes off his vacation season and will start shipping again on 1 December.

Tipi Walter
11-25-2008, 08:41
You mention something about a one to two week jaunt and I can't help but think about my last 10 trip(just got back two days ago), where the winter temps dipped to 4 degrees and the extra clothing and food I wanted to carry filled up my 6000 cubic inch pack.

I'd say the little ULA packs people recommend won't cut it for a two week winter trip, unless you like having sore pinched shoulders and stuff hanging all over the outside of the pack. The ULA Catalyst has a 30-40 pound recommendation and this won't work for a 28-30 pound food load for 14 days, plus all the other stuff.

Since I use a large Mystery Ranch pack, I'd go with something beefy and something similar, and there's many load-haulers out there so I won't bore ya with the names.

taildragger
11-25-2008, 15:02
1-2 week jaunt doesn't necessarily mean 1-2 weeks w/o resupply and in the winter.