PDA

View Full Version : Pork Ridge Trail / Jerry's Cabin Shelter

10-K
11-24-2008, 15:13
Just past Jerry Cabin Shelter between Devil's Fork Gap and Allen Gap there's a side trail called "Pork Ridge Trail".

From the map it looks like Pork Ridge Trail goes south back to NC Hwy 212 about 4 miles down the mountain.

If anyone has ever been down that trail please let me know... I'm thinking of heading up there this weekend. ....

flemdawg1
11-24-2008, 18:01
Take a map and compass, I remember seeing the sign for this trail afew weeks back, but like most all blue blazes in that area it looked overgrown.

10-K
11-24-2008, 20:20
Take a map and compass, I remember seeing the sign for this trail afew weeks back, but like most all blue blazes in that area it looked overgrown.

Thanks for the info. I may give it a shot.

Tennessee Viking
11-24-2008, 21:36
Fork Ridge Trail is part of the Shelton Laurel Backcountry. I haven't done Fork Ridge myself, but I have visited the trailhead. Those trails and Green Ridge are all down the same road. But some friends of mine have climbed Fork Ridge then came back on Jerry Miller. Its a pretty tough trail from what I hear with a steep grade and isn't a regularly maintained forest trail. So expect lots of blowdowns.

The Fork Ridge trail is down Big Creek Road just outside of Laurel NC (turning at a church). The road goes past a lot of farms to somewhat of a split in the road. The Green Ridge Trail is further up the main road. There is a sign posted down a graded gravel forest road pointing to trail parking. It maybe closed during winter. The Jerry Miller trailhead is a little spur turnout right after that. Then the Fork Ridge Trail is up the road a bit, crossing a couple low bridges. If the area is under highwater, you will need a high clearance vehicle to cross them. The Fork Ridge trailhead is on the left in a small turnout camping area. The road will soon dead end after that in a backcountry cove.

Jerry Miller goes up to Blackstack Cliffs and Camp Creek.
Fork Ridge goes somewhere around Jerry Cabin.
Green Ridge hits just south of the Shelton graves.

Dannoh
11-24-2008, 21:38
I think it's called the Fork Ridge Trail. I hiked it up to Jerry Cabin in July and it was in pretty good shape then.

Tennessee Viking
11-24-2008, 23:14
Just past Jerry Cabin Shelter between Devil's Fork Gap and Allen Gap there's a side trail called "Pork Ridge Trail".

From the map it looks like Pork Ridge Trail goes south back to NC Hwy 212 about 4 miles down the mountain.

If anyone has ever been down that trail please let me know... I'm thinking of heading up there this weekend. ....I am going to warn you, its going to be COLD!! with still a quite bit of snow on the ground. The snow is going to be pretty much you only source of water. Unaka was getting 50+ mph gusts today.

The majority of the springs on the AT on the Bald Mountains were dry in between Hot Springs and Flint Mtn Shelter.

10-K
11-30-2008, 13:43
Just got back from the trip up there... No trouble finding the trailhead - it's about 3 miles from my cabin on Big Creek Rd just off Hwy 212. I walked up the trail a ways and the part I hiked was in pretty good shape. I didn't go all the way up to the AT though.

I wound up getting a shuttle at UJ's and me and my daughter hiked the section between Spivey's Gap and UJ's. It started raining as soon as we got in the car and it was still raining when we left this morning. Finished just in time to stay dry.

Bare Bear
11-30-2008, 18:53
I've heard there is a spring along there. Any info on that?

10-K
12-03-2008, 12:42
I've heard there is a spring along there. Any info on that?

Didn't see a spring on Fork Ridge Trail on the short section I walked. From the looks of the trail it was all uphill to the AT for the most part.

There is a pretty good sized creek that follows the road down to the trailhead.

flemdawg1
12-03-2008, 13:10
There is a slow spring near the AT (0.25 mile blue blaze) between Blackstack Cliffs and Jerry Cabin.

10-K
04-13-2009, 05:29
I finally made it up to Fork Ridge trail this weekend and hiked it up to Jerry Cabin shelter and back down the AT to Devils' Fork Gap.

The trail is in great shape, easy to follow and goes up, up up and up for 2 miles.