PDA

View Full Version : Exiled in North Texas

Teatime
11-24-2008, 15:31
Since moving from North Carolina to Texas about 1.5 years ago, I've really been missing the AT. I did a short section of the Ouachita Trail a few weeks back and it just ain't the same. I'm hoping to get back to the AT for a section hike sometime in Spring or Fall 2009...though the sooner the better. Are there any AT hikers living in the DFW area? At least having someone to talk to about the trail would be helpful. Maybe we could get a small group together to plan a section and share the drive.

Wrangler88
11-25-2008, 07:34
I havn't ever hike the AT but I'm looking forward to a section hike from Harper's Ferry to the Smokies with a friend of mine in late June.

And a solo Thru Hike in 2010.

I live in Denton right now.
But I'm moving to about 30 minutes south of Ft. Worth in mid December.
I got interested in backpacking through Boy Scouts and a couple trips to Philmont as well as a few short backpacking trips around the area.
I'm looking to do a few trips before the section this upcoming summer.

SunnyWalker
11-26-2008, 22:43
I live in the Amarillo area. Am section hiker on AT. Planning on a SOBO thru hike in a few years. I have found the closest place that is beautiful is either Big Bend or nine miles north of Sante Fe at Hyde Memorial State Park. Keep going up the road and you will reach trail heads into the Sange de Cristo Mtns. Wonderful. Lakes, streams, etc., beautiful.

skinewmexico
11-27-2008, 00:25
Go to Albuquerque, start doing sections of the Grand Enchantment Trail.

beeman
11-27-2008, 01:05
Teatime,
I live in Fairview, between Allen and McKinney. I'm sure the Ouachita trail isn't like the parts of the AT that I've been on, but it's the closest thing we have. I am real interested in hiking more of the OT. Been looking for someone to do a shuttle thing with. Call me? We might be able to do some of the Southern AT at some point.

Teatime
11-27-2008, 03:10
Teatime,
I live in Fairview, between Allen and McKinney. I'm sure the Ouachita trail isn't like the parts of the AT that I've been on, but it's the closest thing we have. I am real interested in hiking more of the OT. Been looking for someone to do a shuttle thing with. Call me? We might be able to do some of the Southern AT at some point.

Hi Beeman....yeah, I know where Fairview is. I used to live in Allen at one time. I've done the following sections already:

- Springer to Dicks Creek Gap (Fall 2003)
- Harpers Ferry to Front Royal (actually, to the NVA 4H Center) (Spring 2004)
- Dicks Creek Gap to Wesser (this was supposed to end at Fontana Dam but I bailed early) (Fall 2005)
- Indian Grave Gap to Dennis Cove Rd (Kincora Hostel) (Spring 2006)

I would like to do the Smokies along with the Fontana to Wesser Section next. I may end up starting at Newfound Gap and hiking SOBO to Wesser, which would probably take me 6 or 7 days. I suppose you could do all the Smokies and Fontana to Wesser in about 10 days. I could probably do it quicker but experience has taught me that 15 + mile days just wear me out if I'm not used to it.
My 9-year old son plays baseball in the Spring and Fall so that has been my priority lately but he is probably tired of Dad yelling at him and is read for me to "take a hike".

whitey2001
12-05-2008, 16:30
Hey Teatime,

I live near downtown Ft. Worth. In 2001 I went from Springer to Harper's Ferry. I picked up there last year and went to Duncannon, PA. I plan on picking up where I left off last year and hopefully making it out of NY. I killed my knee on the PA rocks last year, but have healed up real nice. There are some okay trails (10, 15, 20 & 25 mile loops) at the LBJ Grasslands (near Decatur) that I did a lot of my training at. Let me know if you are interested in my section or meeting up for training.

Take Care,

Whitey