PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Poles Pros and Cons. Split from Hiking Pole Suggestion thread.

kanga
11-24-2008, 15:55
*sigh* Boy I'm tired of the pole argument. I might be slightly more impressed if someone came up with an anti-pole statement that equated to something more than "Poles are for the weak, I'm so tough I don't need poles 'cuz I'm so strong, you're weak if you use poles, gear companies have tricked everyone into using poles blah blah"

I've hiked with and without them. I hike considerably faster with them, as you can use your arms and upper body to propel yourself along in the same manner as a XC skier. It seems logical and more efficient to me to use as much of your body as possible to move yourself down the trail. They've also saved my butt on numerous occasions from falls and are very helpful for stability when fording. Poles can also save considerable weight when used as part of your shelter system. Even if you're not trying to go light and fast, I don't think anyone in their right mind would object to increased efficiency or relieving stress on their knees.

I'd definitely go with Leki's. They promptly replace stuff that breaks for no charge, enough said. I use the Makalu Ultralight's, no shocks, removed the baskets and straps. Clean, light and simple.

k, here's my reason: i'm prone to tripping over air pockets. i used to carry a hiking stick but one time i fell off a mountain and for some reason my retarded a$$ didn't let go of the stick and it cracked a couple of ribs when i fell on it. from experience, i'd really just like to have my hands free to catch myself when i fall (which is going to happen whether or not i carry hiking poles/sticks). also, there are times when i wished i had some, but having to carry something extra during the times that i don't want to use them is just not worth it.

taildragger
11-24-2008, 19:19
I injured my knees weight lifting years again. W/O polls I'm only good for about 12 miles, then I get sore enough that if I keep pushing, my week will eventually turn to hell.

Also, I've liked them when I got onto hard snow, they helped me from accidentally glissading when and where I didn't want to go.

Lastly, I can use them to custom my tarp setup w/o having to have as much rope as would be otherwise necessary.

Manwich
11-24-2008, 19:58
Poles are for the weak, I'm so tough I don't need poles 'cuz I'm so strong, you're weak if you use poles, gear companies have tricked everyone into using poles blah blah

Phreak
11-24-2008, 20:23
If I'm in no hurry, I don't use poles. When speed hiking, I use 'em.

Blissful
11-24-2008, 20:47
Poles are for the weak, I'm so tough I don't need poles 'cuz I'm so strong, you're weak if you use poles, gear companies have tricked everyone into using poles blah blah

I'd rather be weak, have my poles, and make it all the way at age 44 and beyond.

Blah blah blah :p

Chance09
11-24-2008, 21:14
Hiking with poles save me on a daily basis from getting hurty while hiking. My two main problems are A. rolling my ankle and B. tripping. Rolling my ankle happens alot more than tripping but when i do before i actually fully roll it my pole catches my weight. If i trip forward and have a pole planted out in front of me, then i have a pivot point that helps me flop over onto my back so that my pack breaks my fall. This seldom happens but it is better than the alternative.

Without a pole, I trip over a root, stumble forward arms flailing and who knows where i will end up. Maybe if i'm lucky my head will keep the rest of my body from getting seriously hurt......sorry favorite line from jackass 2 lol.

Deadeye
11-24-2008, 21:16
I've actually tripped over my own poles :o, so the I-need-a-stick-to-prop-myself-up-when-I-trip excuse doesn't work for me. I'm a one-stick man, and most of the time now, that one stick is collapsed and on the outside of my pack. I find walking easier, smoother, and more balanced without - seems like when I actually use the poles, I over-rely on them. Now I just use the single pole on long downhills. On steep climbs or scrambles, I like to have the hands free and not have to finagle with the poles.

johnnybgood
11-24-2008, 22:14
The only thing hiking poles are good for are steep descents and I almost forgot /killing pesky little copperheads that seem determined to bite through my hiking boots.

Hikerhead
11-24-2008, 22:50
I like my hiking poles. I tend to carry them when the trail is nice, I seem to go a little faster that way but it could by my imagination.

kanga
11-25-2008, 07:18
I injured my knees weight lifting years again. W/O polls I'm only good for about 12 miles, then I get sore enough that if I keep pushing, my week will eventually turn to hell.

Also, I've liked them when I got onto hard snow, they helped me from accidentally glissading when and where I didn't want to go.

Lastly, I can use them to custom my tarp setup w/o having to have as much rope as would be otherwise necessary.

you use the word glissading yet you misspell poles.. dork

Egads
11-25-2008, 08:12
I like my hiking poles, they bring out the worst in the white blazers I pass on the trail.

After I'm done using them for self defense; they do a pretty good job helping me with my balance, engaging my upper body on the climbs, reducing knee strain on the downhills, and holding my tarp up while sleeping.:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
11-25-2008, 08:18
never used them, never will. they serve no purpose

Roots
11-25-2008, 08:28
Poles have saved me from MANY near falls. Gungho and I have always used them. He had ACL surgery many years ago so for him it is a BIG benefit. For me, I'm prone to rolling the ankles and tripping constantly. The poles save me from many front body crashes.

Lone Wolf
11-25-2008, 08:32
He had ACL surgery many years ago

i had ACL, PCL,and MCL surgery 30 years ago. i don't need no stinkin' poles :cool:

Tipi Walter
11-25-2008, 08:52
I've been using poles for years, started out with homemade sapling poles debarked and sanded, even painted. They'd last about a year or two and then break and it was time to cut another. Green poles are stronger but heavier.

Several years ago I went the single pole route(no double for me, like to keep one hand free), the store-bought aluminum kind(I use a giveaway snow skiing pole, single piece with no joints, etc). The main advantage to a pole is for creek crossings, especially in the winter. And when walking down a frozen icey mountain trail, steeply down.

The only drawback I can see to a hiking pole is in the winter at zero degrees when your gloved hands don't wanna be touching anything, and the frigid handle of a hiking pole qualifies as a foreign frozen object, like a tent stake or tent poles. The cold handle cuts thru most gloves and it won't be long until your hand is numb and cold and you wonder why. It's the danged ice cold pole handle. I don't know how the high elevation mountaineers do it always holding onto their frozen ice axes. Gauntlet style down mittens, I guess.

Spogatz
11-25-2008, 09:07
[quote=Tipi Walter;729897]
The only drawback I can see to a hiking pole is in the winter at zero degrees when your gloved hands don't wanna be touching anything, and the frigid handle of a hiking pole qualifies as a foreign frozen object, like a tent stake or tent poles. The cold handle cuts thru most gloves and it won't be long until your hand is numb and cold and you wonder why. quote]

I find that by walking with the poles that the gripping action keeps my hands warm.

Yukon
11-25-2008, 09:37

For you they don't, for others they do.

Rockhound
11-25-2008, 09:41
hike with poles, hike without poles. It's an individual choice. personally, Leki can kiss my butt. I use hiking sticks. They are light, durable, serve their purpose, and if they do break or if i lose them, I know where to find another pair for free.

rafe
11-25-2008, 09:45

Obviously, lots of hikers disagree.

kanga
11-25-2008, 09:54
Obviously, lots of hikers disagree.

well that was insightful. NEXT...

Hooch
11-25-2008, 09:59
Obviously, lots of hikers disagree.Ok, folks, if I'm going to be DSQ then we have to appoint Terrapin as Master of the Obvious. :D

rafe
11-25-2008, 10:00
well that was insightful. NEXT...

Hard to have an "insightful" thread on the topic of hiking poles, eh? It's all been said. What's upsetting is the need to demonize or ridicule those who have made choices different from our own.

kanga
11-25-2008, 10:02
yes, i would think that it would be hard for you.

Lyle
11-25-2008, 10:25
Hiking poles:

Necessary - NO
Beneficial - In many places
Help with pacing - Yes
Extra Weight - Yes
Better balance - Possibly
More sure footed - Mostly
Trail damage - Minimal
Less wear and tear on joints - Yes (Pretty much documented by various studies - still waiting for someone to post a legitimate study that refutes this)
Cumbersome - occasionally, not often
Pain when hitching - yeah, but collapsible helps minimize
Extra cost - yep
Multifunction - yep

I have no knee or ankle problems after 30 years of backpacking, a decent portion of that long-distance. I wish to do everything in my power to maintain this status.

Overall, my opinion is that the benefits outweigh the negatives. You may decide differently.

woodsy
11-25-2008, 10:31
Poles? Great for winter travel over rough, broken, and slippery slopes.
Never leave home w/o them in winter.

scope
11-25-2008, 10:50
k, here's my reason: i'm prone to tripping over air pockets. i used to carry a hiking stick but one time i fell off a mountain and for some reason my retarded a$$ didn't let go of the stick and it cracked a couple of ribs when i fell on it. from experience, i'd really just like to have my hands free to catch myself when i fall (which is going to happen whether or not i carry hiking poles/sticks). also, there are times when i wished i had some, but having to carry something extra during the times that i don't want to use them is just not worth it.

OK, so you're a dork, and not having more equipment to be otherwise more dorky with is a benefit to you, is that about right? Sorry, not trying to be mean towards you, but it just seems that this is a personal reason for not using poles as opposed to offering a meaningful reason for not using them for the benefit of someone who's trying to decide.

If I've got a moderately substantial pack on, then I don't want to fall down, and thus, having poles helps me not do that. Everyone is capable of having dork moments on the trail, but I think poles help me be less of one.

kanga
11-25-2008, 10:58
OK, so you're a dork, and not having more equipment to be otherwise more dorky with is a benefit to you, is that about right? Sorry, not trying to be mean towards you, but it just seems that this is a personal reason for not using poles as opposed to offering a meaningful reason for not using them for the benefit of someone who's trying to decide.

If I've got a moderately substantial pack on, then I don't want to fall down, and thus, having poles helps me not do that. Everyone is capable of having dork moments on the trail, but I think poles help me be less of one.

so at what point is a personal reason NOT a meaningful reason. everybody that uses poles has a personal/meaningful reason to use them. if you have a moderately substantial pack on, is that a personal reason for using poles for you or a meaningful one? just sayin'.

Blue Jay
11-25-2008, 11:03
I'm not allowed to talk about poles anymore, therefore poles win by default. Sorry Mr. Wolf.:confused:

Lone Wolf
11-25-2008, 11:05
poles are useless

Lyle
11-25-2008, 11:07
poles are useless

Spoken by someone who not only admits, but brags that he has never used them.:D

Lone Wolf
11-25-2008, 11:09
real hikers like earl and me never entertained the thought of using them. we didn't succumb to marketing hype

Yukon
11-25-2008, 11:14
real hikers like earl and me never entertained the thought of using them. we didn't succumb to marketing hype

Real hikers?

The Old Fhart
11-25-2008, 11:24
Lyle-"Trail damage - Minimal"There is some debate on that point. One big difference I noted in Georgia from 1987,1998,and 2000 was the impact that the increasing use of hiking poles had in some sections near the start of the trail. So many people, most with poles, start at about the same time that there were some sections where it looked like someone had taken a rototiller and chewed up both sides of the trail.

Now whether you consider that 'damage' or just a little trail maintenance to keep the weeds down depends on your point of view but the thousands of poles jabbing into soft soil do have a visual impact.

cowboy nichols
11-25-2008, 11:39
poles are useless
I sincerely hope I'm still around in 25 years to see if you have changed your mind. I hiked 'til 55 without poles , wish I had started sooner.:D:D

Lone Wolf
11-25-2008, 11:40
if i gotta use a crutch to walk then i'll give up walkin'

Gumbi
11-25-2008, 11:43
There is some debate on that point. One big difference I noted in Georgia from 1987,1998,and 2000 was the impact that the increasing use of hiking poles had in some sections near the start of the trail. So many people, most with poles, start at about the same time that there were some sections where it looked like someone had taken a rototiller and chewed up both sides of the trail.

Now whether you consider that 'damage' or just a little trail maintenance to keep the weeds down depends on your point of view but the thousands of poles jabbing into soft soil do have a visual impact.

It just aerates the ground.:D Rich people pay good money to have their lawns aerated. We poor hikers are willing to do it for free.:sun

Lyle
11-25-2008, 11:43

I'm quite sure many folks in wheelchairs would disagree.

scope
11-25-2008, 11:53
so at what point is a personal reason NOT a meaningful reason. everybody that uses poles has a personal/meaningful reason to use them. if you have a moderately substantial pack on, is that a personal reason for using poles for you or a meaningful one? just sayin'.

When it falls (pun not intended) out of the range of standard use, or in this case, non-use of said item. And you're right, I guess I shouldn't have used the term "personal reason" because we all have personal reasons for using or not using stuff.

Was just sayin' that your reason for not using one is kinda like a broken-legged hiker going on about how poles really do help.

kanga
11-25-2008, 11:57
oh. well okay then.

cowboy nichols
11-25-2008, 12:00
Some of us just won't give up!:rolleyes:

D'Artagnan
11-25-2008, 16:11
poles are useless

I disagree. Now, Austrians, maybe...:D

Yukon
11-25-2008, 16:22
I still want to know what LW means by "real hikers"?

Spirit Walker
11-25-2008, 16:28
None of you mentioned the reason I started carrying a pole: trail maintenance. We hike on a lot of trails that get minimal (if any) maintenance. The hiking stick is very helpful at flicking sticks out of the way. That alone has saved me from a lot of falls. Then it is very helpful at getting me over blowdowns. On the AT that isn't as big a problem as on some trails, but early season or after a wind storm, the stick makes a difference. River crossings definitely it is helpful as a third leg for balance against heavy currents. I resisted using a stick for a long time, but now I am very happy to carry a pole to keep me from falling on rough ground and to help clear the trail as I go.

woodsy
11-25-2008, 17:47
A pole or two is also helpful in knocking snow off encroaching/overhanging branches so the stuff don't go down your neck/cover clothing/pack. A lil tap is usually all it takes.

StubbleJumper
11-27-2008, 04:23
I hike with poles and without them, depending on where I go. I spend a week hiking on quartzite cliffs last summer which were ridiculously slippery in the rain. I was very glad to have poles for that trip. Equipment needs to be selected in accordance with the trail and your personal physical condition....best to just ignore people who give authoritative pat answers on this type of subject.

Franco
11-27-2008, 05:35
Some just go hiking for pleasure; not to do the most miles or carry the smallest pack or break records of any sort , in other words some are not compiting against anything or anybody, they just want to have fun. Those ones ( I am one of them...) use whatever makes their outdoor experience more enjoyable, in my case poles do that.They help me up hill as well as down, give me a bit of security crossing creeks and rivers, warn snakes that I am coming, hold up my shelter, help me clear cobwebs and debris from the trail, they are not a magic wand, but I like them. But , when I pass other walkers on the trail, I don't laugh at the ones that don't use them.
Franco