PDA

View Full Version : Any Hikers that use Twitter?

twoshoes06
11-24-2008, 17:40
Does anyone on here use Twitter?

It is like the update feature on Facebook, only much cooler and more interactive. I think we backpackers and hikers should band together and form a Twitter community.

You can see my page at www.twitter.com/woody2shoes

Start following me to see some of my gear reviews, hikes, and rambles on the outdoors. Send me a tweet if you want to talk.

Two Shoes

Manwich
11-24-2008, 18:23
I figure twitter is more for the "Look at me! Look at me! I'm a special person just like everyone else and I'm craving attention" crowd. I don't sit well with a lot of the narcissism on that site.

I am, however, looking forward to you working blazepacking. Quit dicking around on social-bookmarking sites and get to work!

lizzieGAME09
11-24-2008, 18:29
great idea, two shoes. i twitter - not as much as i should - for connecting with folks in my line of work. i would love be part of a twitter community of hikers.

my hiking partner and i plan to use twitter via text for updates on our 09 thru where we get cell phone coverage.

http://twitter.com/lizzieB

Sly
11-24-2008, 18:35
I just signed up Hikertrash. I love getting that name!

HikerRanky
11-24-2008, 18:37
I'm like LizzieGAME09.... I twitter, am on Facebook, LinkedIn, and have my blog set up so I can Twitter from there, and it shows up on Twitter and Facebook.

A Twitter community of hikers would be good for me too...

www.twitter.com/HikerRanky (http://www.twitter.com/HikerRanky)

Randy

Press
11-24-2008, 20:18
I like Twitter too, it's fun, be good to exchange some hiking comments on there. Mine is http://www.twitter.com/jstinnett

Joe8484
11-24-2008, 20:41
I have to agree twitter could be very valuable to the hiking community. I plan to use twitter on my 09 thru-hike as well. Along with a trail journal and video blog on youtube.

I'll keep everyone posted when I start these projects.

aaroniguana
11-24-2008, 21:14
I twitter mostly to trade barbs with friends. But I see how it could be very useful to a hiker. I have to buy a new cel tomorrow, now I have an excuse to get one with a keyboard.

www.twitter.com/heddwyn (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/www.twitter.com/heddwyn)

twoshoes06
11-25-2008, 00:44
That's awesome. Thanks for following me and letting me know who you are. I plan on sending updates whenever I update my blog with some useful backpacking info.

Totem.. I try not to dick around too much and I have much in store for you at blazepacking.com. I am currently working on my manifesto which I will post when it is ready because I am definitely going to want some feedback from other backpackers. Thanks.

Sly
11-25-2008, 02:10
I figure twitter is more for the "Look at me! Look at me! I'm a special person just like everyone else and I'm craving attention" crowd. I don't sit well with a lot of the narcissism on that site.
!

Kind of like your trailwiki? :rolleyes:

Serial 07
11-25-2008, 02:14
I twitter, am on Facebook, LinkedIn, and have my blog set up so I can Twitter from there, and it shows up on Twitter and Facebook.

you are connected my friend...

HikerRanky
11-25-2008, 17:52
you are connected my friend...

That's what I get for working for a Media company :(

Mags
11-25-2008, 19:41
Twitter would be a great name for a small dog (perhaps a Pomeranian?)

Just saying....

spencerb
11-25-2008, 20:06
This post inspired me that I should use twitter for my thru next year in addition to trailjournals. I figure I can use it on facebook for friends who don't want to read boring blog entries to get the quick info.

rafe
11-25-2008, 20:15
Gawd this stuff makes me feel old. I've been working around microcomputers since the mid-1970s. I've never Twittered, or Dugg a website. I'm not LinkedIn or FaceBooked. I've never owed an MP3 player or "ripped" a music CD. The only photo I've taken on my cell phone was by accident. I have to explain "blogs" to my in-laws and parents' generation. It's hard to keep up. I like digital photography (http://www.terrapinphoto.com), though.

Joe8484
11-25-2008, 20:34
Gawd this stuff makes me feel old. I've been working around microcomputers since the mid-1970s. I've never Twittered, or Dugg a website. I'm not LinkedIn or FaceBooked. I've never owed an MP3 player or "ripped" a music CD. The only photo I've taken on my cell phone was by accident. I have to explain "blogs" to my in-laws and parents' generation. It's hard to keep up. I like digital photography (http://www.terrapinphoto.com), though.

If you think whiteblaze is addictive then I wouldn't even start any of the others.

Press
11-25-2008, 22:06
Well-said on the addictive part. Twitter is so easy that I sometimes have the urge to post even when nothing to say. Sort of like what I'm doing now!

wahoo
12-03-2008, 23:32
I use Twitter all the time, and tweet from the trail. It's a great way to share your hike and keep your friends and family updated.

ShakeyLeggs
03-28-2009, 16:06
http://twitter.com/ShakeyLeggs

Darwin again
03-28-2009, 19:23
Twitter, twit, twit...
I would not, could not on a train,
I would not could not in the rain,
I will not twitter on a pail,
I will not twitter from the Trail.

Am I the only one who thinks twitter is, uh, an undesirable wast of my precious moments on Earth?

Is there nobody else who doesn't think that their every thought is so profound that it needs to be broadcast in real time over global networks for all the world to consume?

Sheesh.
Addictions: Pay to play. There are some seriously deep psychological operators at work with in all this technological brain stroking going on.

expenditioner
03-28-2009, 21:50
Just signed up on there today

Petr
03-29-2009, 10:59
Twitter, twit, twit...
I would not, could not on a train,
I would not could not in the rain,
I will not twitter on a pail,
I will not twitter from the Trail.

Am I the only one who thinks twitter is, uh, an undesirable wast of my precious moments on Earth?

Is there nobody else who doesn't think that their every thought is so profound that it needs to be broadcast in real time over global networks for all the world to consume?

Sheesh.
Addictions: Pay to play. There are some seriously deep psychological operators at work with in all this technological brain stroking going on.

Second this motion. The whole idea of twittering or tweeting or whatever seems sort of antithetical to the point of hiking, which for most is to slow down, appreciate simple moments of effort and beauty, some peace and quiet, some degree of solitude, and, for the love of god, disconnecting from the hive brain.

I'm not an anti-technology guy either. I plan on bringing my iphone on my thru next year for the music, functionality in towns, and to upload journal entries. I think online journals are fine; they let your loved ones know where and how you are at reasonable intervals and they are (or should be) compositions, i.e. a thought out piece of communication. This twitter business seems like an outlet for people afraid to let their own thoughts kick around their head for a while.

I don't know; maybe I'm just officially getting old. I'm bad at new video games now too. I've just recently started to consider getting a Facebook page and I feel dirty about it. I will never be on my myspace. MAYBE I'll play with this twitter business just to see if it has a point, but I'll never do it while hiking.

Pedaling Fool
03-29-2009, 11:08
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/mar/04/twitter-death-entrepreneur-rob-william

skinewmexico
03-29-2009, 11:18
Nothing personal, but I don't usually care what everyone else is doing, every single moment of the day. And I sure don't care if everyone else knows what I'm doing. Better ways to get validation.

urbansix
03-29-2009, 15:11
I'm on facebook, and Blogger (http://thinkcrust.blogspot.com/). I was skeptical of the twitter concept too, thinking it just a form of spastic self affirmation and second by second ego stroking. But I've read enough articles that have me convinced to give it a try. I see it as having potential for creative types to constantly bounce ideas off each other, shoot links to interesting stuff, etc. A perpetual clever conversation, as one person put it. The kind of conversations you might have around the water cooler at work, in a world where a lot of us are teleworking from home or Starbucks. The fact that it does not have the extensive "social resume" and person CV aspect like Myspace and Facebook, makes it pretty much all about the conversation, and less about "look at me". (And you don't have to follow anyone you're not interested in.) lol - thats all i've garnered in the last 24 hours of trying to "get it". Now to find some clever creative friends to follow ;)
http://twitter.com/urbansix <-hours old

Petr
03-29-2009, 16:21
I'm on facebook, and Blogger (http://thinkcrust.blogspot.com/). I was skeptical of the twitter concept too, thinking it just a form of spastic self affirmation and second by second ego stroking. But I've read enough articles that have me convinced to give it a try. I see it as having potential for creative types to constantly bounce ideas off each other, shoot links to interesting stuff, etc. A perpetual clever conversation, as one person put it. The kind of conversations you might have around the water cooler at work, in a world where a lot of us are teleworking from home or Starbucks. The fact that it does not have the extensive "social resume" and person CV aspect like Myspace and Facebook, makes it pretty much all about the conversation, and less about "look at me". (And you don't have to follow anyone you're not interested in.) lol - thats all i've garnered in the last 24 hours of trying to "get it". Now to find some clever creative friends to follow ;)
http://twitter.com/urbansix <-hours old

A reasonable response. However, isn't the whole point of teleworking and all the other cool technologies that 'streamline' our day to create more time to spend with other real live people or outside? I guess I'm more interested in clever conversation with people in the same room as me. Preferably, attractive people. Preferably, attractive female people. I can't be wasting my limited amount of wit and charm on some perpetual e-conversation. And, I'm not totally convinced that what happens on twitter is often a conversation; at least not one about anything. If I'm instant messaging or twittering or texting about, say, a good flick with some internet 'friends' the conversation probably goes something like this:

Person 1: Anybody see X?
2: Yeah, it sucked. But Y looked hot.
3: Check out this link (some IMDB profile). She was also in Z, I think she might have shown her boobs.
2: Yup, here's a link to that scene. www.....

Now, if I'm at a bar with a buddy or date and we just watched the movie with another physical human, well then maybe we could have more of an personal/organic conversation about it. It may or may not be any more intelligent of a conversation, but at least we have to look at each other's faces and know that we're idiots. Now I'm rambling, but this is my key problem with all of these internet ways to connect and communicate: people are not themselves online. We see it on this site everyday. The distance and anonymity and security behind a computer screen cause people to say things that are exagerrated, false, and inflammatory that they'd never say to somebody in person. This total lack of responsibility for one's words cheapens e-conversation, even the good ones.

urbansix
03-29-2009, 21:40
A reasonable response. However, isn't the whole point of teleworking and all the other cool technologies that 'streamline' our day to create more time to spend with other real live people or outside
...and I thought the whole point of teleworking and other cool technologies was to get more work done by eliminating the commute, and the viscosity and lag of using older slower technologies. What can get lost is the synergy of the studio, (being in a creative field), something that one may be willing trade for the flexibility of working closer to your family, in a two-career family situation, say. Twitter could serve as a portal back into the untapped marketplace of ideas, (or more realistically, ersatz camaraderie), for someone such as that. Of course (as your example shows) the quality of conversation would depend on your base of followers/ees.
(Are they called twits?)

Blissful
03-29-2009, 23:25
I'm on Twitter too, but still haven't figured it all out. Also Facebook.
Under Lauralee Bliss. Tell me you're from WB for friend requests as all I know are trail names. :)

Wise Old Owl
03-29-2009, 23:42
Why? Huh? No!

guess I jus twittered!:cool:

nerfherder
03-30-2009, 03:16
is twitter that little thing from thunder cats?

urbansix
03-30-2009, 09:45
Ok then, who is currently twittering from the trail? So far lizzieB I've found - though not yet technically on the actual trail yet. I want to watch.

EverydayJourneyman
04-06-2009, 07:36
Twats/Tweets, not sure what the right saying is. But yes, I'll will be using Twitter.

fiddlehead
04-06-2009, 08:52
I don't know a whole lot about it but looked into it somewhat.
Aren't your posts very limited as to how many words you can use?
What's up with that?

EverydayJourneyman
04-06-2009, 08:57
I don't know a whole lot about it but looked into it somewhat.
Aren't your posts very limited as to how many words you can use?
What's up with that?

140 character limit. It's basically micro-blogging. I can see geo-locating as being an interesting tool to use within Twitter and the AT, as well as photo posting.

Live the Journey
04-06-2009, 09:16
I'm leaving Franklin today on my thru (made it in time for the hiker bash, hopefully will make it out before snow!)

I've been able to update my twitter via cell phone almost everyday from my campsite at night...though not very rugged, I know it sure eases my family's mind to know that their baby girl is safe in her sleeping bag at night. It's also fun for them to know where I am and how far I went in a given day.

I hadn't planned on doing something like twittering, but made a last minute decision the day before I left, and I'm glad now to have the contact with folks from home. I'm bouncing my phone charger and I just turn it on at night to twitter and then I turn it off, so a charge lasts for at least a week if not much much more!

A-Train
04-06-2009, 09:50
10:07--- A-Train just went to the bathroom in the privy at Lickswagswamp shelter.

10:09--- A-Train is enjoying some trail mix from fellow hikers.

10:11--- A-Train realized he forget to use his Purell

Next day

7:05 am- All the hikers at the shelter are not feeling well and thinking of taking a zero. Boo Boo, Walks a Lot and Turbo Joe are all making multiple trips to the privy and trips and snaggletooth are vomiting.

7:55--- Time to get going. Another great day on the AT.

Morpheus
04-06-2009, 20:13
Very infrequent user. Got annoyed by all the boring tweets. Might be more interesting in sort of in a trailjournals kind of way. http://twitter.com/iSparky

JaxHiker
04-07-2009, 12:51
I have a hard enough time coming up with material for my blog.

postholer.com
04-08-2009, 23:30
For postholer.com (http://postholer.com) journalists we just added a feature that appends your last 10 twitter messages (tweets) to the end of every journal entry.

From the 'Journal Setup' page just drop in your Twitter username and you're good to go.

If you don't have access to your journal to do updates, you can send a quick tweet from your cell to keep everyone posted.

Check out the journal demo (http://postholer.com/demo) to see how it looks.

-postholer

Mags
04-09-2009, 01:43
Most journalist are like twitter anyway. Twitter posts just makes it more obvious. ;)

(I ate cherry poptarts..I hiked 20 miles...I drank beer...I met a hiker named Paul Mags who is a moron....etc)

postholer.com
04-10-2009, 14:56
(I ate cherry poptarts..I hiked 20 miles...I drank beer...etc)

:D That definitely describes me....without the vile Mags comment of course.

-postholer

Mags
04-10-2009, 17:57
:D That definitely describes me....without the vile Mags comment of course.

-postholer

I am sure others could say the vile Mags comments ;)

Good job on the site as always!

EverydayJourneyman
04-13-2009, 15:50
I hope to get some interesting tweets/twats over the next several months, as well as send some.

EverydayJourneyman
04-15-2009, 11:17
So I'm testing out a few different Twitter applications on my iPhone.

Twitterlink/Tweeter for basic tweets
Twitxr for photos
GPSTwit for geo-tweets

Has anyone used those or other applications.

Pedaling Fool
04-15-2009, 11:22
I've never used or even logged onto twitter. But I just got an email update from one of my Senators that says he's going to start a twitter account. So I guess I'm going to check it out.

RITBlake
04-15-2009, 11:52
twitter is for the birds. in more ways then one.

EverydayJourneyman
04-15-2009, 11:53
twitter is for the birds. in more ways then one.

that's punny.

postholer.com
04-15-2009, 12:16
If you know your latitude/longitude and use Twitter you can 'tweet' your location onto a postholer map in your journal.

Read the Twitter instructions (http://postholer.com/journal/help.php?#twitter) for the details.

This doesn't require a GPS enabled phone, any old GPS you may be carrying will do.

-postholer