PDA

View Full Version : Looking for partner for maine section hikes

stargazer0311
11-24-2008, 19:26
Hi, Im stargazer Im 27 and I am looking for a section hiker like myself for a start in spring 09' for some section hikes in maine/NH. If you have any ideas or questions let me know and we will try to work something out. Age , Sex , Skill doesnt matter to me much as long as you love the trail and want to get out and do it.

blais_jo28
02-17-2009, 13:53
Hi, I'm doing Kent,CT to Katahdin,ME. I'm starting in June 1st so I'll probably be in ME in late july. If you're interrested reply me!

Have a good day

Jo

chess
02-19-2009, 14:42
I am planning a section through Maine in the summer. I had thought July but that isn't set in stone. I want to do about 8-10 days. I am looking for a partner since I'm female, it's my 1st backpacking trip, & I don't know if my dog can make the trip. I was thinking of doing the 100-mile wilderness but starting at the top also sounds good.

kizzybean
02-21-2009, 01:27
Chess,

I'm a section hiker and have completed about 3/4 of Maine as it's my home state and easy for short section hikes when I can sneak away. I just want to make a note on caution on bringing your dog. Depending on it's size there are some real difficult sections. I have a lab who hikes with me faithfully but we had some very difficult times with the large boulders and ledges in the Maine sections. The western mountains (Bald Pate, Saddleback and Bigelow ranges) have ladders up and down some big ledge sections and then just plan big drops that you have to lift your dog up or down, a slow tiring process. This fall I hiked from Monson to Gulf Haagas and there was a steep rock slide which I was very afraid my dog was going to be seriously hurt. The rocks were moderate size with spaces between, sharp edges where he had to balance with each paw on a different rock over a steep open 1/4 mile section of trail. He slipped a few times between the rocks and I was very afraid he was going to break a leg as his weight twisted him between the rocks. We went one rock at a time down this section as he had to be helped every step. I love hiking with my dog and he's an experienced hiker, well behaved, but some sections are just not easy with dogs. A smaller dog like a Jack Russell Terrier may have an easier time and definitely easier to carry or lift down the drops. Just food for thought about hiking with a dog in Maine. I have only hiked Maryland to Deleware water gap for other sections on the AT which were not a problem for dogs but much of Maine is another thing. No dogs are allowed in Baxter Park if you're thinking of starting at Katahdin. I only share this as information to think about, not someone suggesting dogs shouldn't be hiking the AT. I really love my dog with me and he'll hike more, just other sections of the AT.

Good luck with your hike. July is a good time to be in Maine. Bring plenty of bug dope as the woods in Maine always are buzzing. Another time I'd join you for all or part of your hike but I have a daughter getting married in August so my hikes this summer will be limited.

Kizzy (aka - Pokey Princess)

hawkeye
02-23-2009, 17:14
Hi, I'm planning some short hikes, 2-3 days. NH or Maine. Also I want to do some in Ma. Let me know if you can't find anyone.

Saint Alfonzo
02-25-2009, 15:36
Hello all, I'm saint alfonzo, and i live in Corinth ME..

Saint Alfonzo
02-25-2009, 15:52
And if I can help please let me know. I'm retired and i'm looking foward to doing some sections here in Maine. I tend to hike between RT201 and Mount Katahdin. I have hiked the Bigelow range also. I have a car and a Maine Gazetteer, and a VERY,VERY,understanding WIFE. "36YRS."in May. SO, thats my story. Keep me in mind...

chess
02-25-2009, 23:57
Great! There's a lot of friendly hikers in Maine! Anyone want to tentatively plan to hike either the Northern Maine AT section or the central section somewhere in the last 2 weeks of July? And while you're checking calendars, can anyone tell me the pronunciation of Katahdin so I don't feel like an idiot when I tell people around here where I'm going?

Saint Alfonzo
02-26-2009, 16:07
Chess, it is KA-TAH-DIN.. it means "the greatest mountain". Thats." in accordance with" the Appalachian Trail Guide to Maine..

Frosty
02-26-2009, 18:23
Great! There's a lot of friendly hikers in Maine! Anyone want to tentatively plan to hike either the Northern Maine AT section or the central section somewhere in the last 2 weeks of July? And while you're checking calendars, can anyone tell me the pronunciation of Katahdin so I don't feel like an idiot when I tell people around here where I'm going?ka-TAH-din, accent on the middle syllable

some friendly hikers in NH, too

post again when you get closer to hiking. there are sure to be others thinking about hiking that just haven't made plans yet.

i'm planning on the Adirondacks in August or I might try the 100-mile wilderness myself. made plans a couple times but they fell through

hikerofmtns
03-22-2009, 15:48
I am hoping to do the 100 Mile Wilderness Trail or hike the Northern half of the Long Trail. I'm also very interested in doing weekend hikes. I did the 100 Mile wilderness with my brother two years ago, but he pushed so fast that I felt we rushed through it. It was so gorgeous I want to see it again, but more leisurely this time. If anyone is interested...I would love a guest to hike with since most of the time I'm solo...Hub doesn't like to hike much.

paddler
03-22-2009, 23:00
im looking to do some hikes this spring and summer also .ihave one problem i cant drive because of my eyes but see good enough to hike and i dont work so i have a lot of free time. let me know

Saint Alfonzo
03-24-2009, 15:29
Well, the snow is on its way out. I need to go to Skowhegan and get some new boots at the New Balance store. And i'm about ready to go. PADDLER, send me a P.M. and lets talk.....