PDA

View Full Version : Necessary Gear?

ibigler5
11-25-2008, 01:38
I was wondering if it was necessary to buy an axe and/or a folding shovel. Are they necessary? I'm assuming that a survival knife will do the same thing as an axe, but what would replace a shovel?

KG4FAM
11-25-2008, 01:45
Shoe replaces shovel, just like your dog.

You don't really need something to replace an axe either and the words survival knife stir up images of a machete. You can get by real easy with a pocket knife that weighs only a couple of ounces. Some folks only use a razor blade for a knife.

Serial 07
11-25-2008, 01:52
shovel...a stick...if your a knife guy, bring a knife that fits in the pocket...i'm not a knife guy, but they can be handy for cuttin' cheese...

Dirtygaiters
11-25-2008, 02:18
Lots of seasoned backpackers have found that shovels, axes, and large knives aren't really necessary items. Ultimately, they're more like extra weight that must be carried along each mile.

For procuring firewood, it seems to take about the same amount of time to chop up a cord of wood as it does to walk around half an acre or so and casually pick up sticks. Plus, it's easier to pick up sticks, and you have the added benefit of not leaving a wake of felled trees behind you on your way through the woods. For digging a cathole, your shoes or a sturdy stick work just as well as a shovel, given that you don't want to preserve your leavings in the fossil record, that is. As long as it's in the upper 6" of forest duff, it has a better chance of decomposing quickly, anyway.

As for knives, as long as you don't have a need for whittling while in camp, or an overwhelming urge for some hand-to-hand combat with wild animals, a large knife is also not really necessary. Sure a knife can be a great survival tool, if you're in a survival situation... While backpacking, however, a lot of people have found that a 1-1.5" blade, even a mini scissors, is all they really need for such camp chores that require cutting. Then again, having a nice looking knife can mean a lot to some hikers. Personally I carry a 4" fixed blade knife that I keep very sharp. Do I use it for anything besides cutting food (when I bring food that requires cutting) and the occasional length of rope? No, definitely not. However, I enjoy carrying it because I'm into knives.

garlic08
11-25-2008, 02:59
All you need is one of these:

Tipi Walter
11-25-2008, 09:20
None of these things are needed when out backpacking. People carry folding shovels cuz they seem so nifty, wow, it folds up so nice . . .

If you're serious about doing some back country homesteading, the best tool you can have is a standard, cheap 21 inch bowsaw. This baby will cut firewood, cut saplings for a sweatlodge, cut poles for a tipi, heck, a person could live in the woods permamently with a bowsaw and a couple of replacement blades.

Other oldtimers swear by the double headed axe, and it was the tool of choice when building a log cabin and felling trees. But we won't be building a log cabin or notching logs, will we? BTW, the little bowsaw wannabes, the folding sven saw and others, are a step below the standard hardwear store bowsaw. Just go with it and figure out a way to safely carry it on the outside of the pack(use the plastic blade guard). Keep thermarest away from blade, etc.

Manwich
11-25-2008, 09:26
I was wondering if it was necessary to buy an axe and/or a folding shovel. Are they necessary? I'm assuming that a survival knife will do the same thing as an axe, but what would replace a shovel?

i know where you're coming from, but you're thinking more of a long-term bug-out survivalist than a backpacker. You'd be surprised how little you need to do a thru-hike. Some people on here (Lone Wolf) will do several thru-hikes with little more than the big-four and some food.

Rockhound
11-25-2008, 09:27
i could use a new folding shovel and an axe so please take em with you. I'll pick it up somewhere between Springer and Neils Gap.

Lone Wolf
11-25-2008, 09:28
big four?

Hooch
11-25-2008, 09:32
. Some people on here will do several thru-hikes with little more than the big-four......Potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium?

Manwich
11-25-2008, 10:19
big four?

Variable term for essentials. At minimum, most people need 4 main things to hike. It's generally Backpack, Sleeping bag, Shelter and food

Panzer1
11-25-2008, 10:21
You don't need a ax. You can just gather firewood by hand. But you don't normally make a camp fire when thru-hiking.

But if you did want somethig to make a camp fire, a small folding camp saw would be more useful and lighter than an ax.

Panzer

Seeker
11-25-2008, 11:00
big four?

Potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium?

caffeine, nicotine, sugar, and fat?

bigcranky
11-25-2008, 11:56
If you feel like you need something to dig a cat hole (for your poop), use a snow stake -- it's lighter, stronger, and can be used as a tent stake if needed.

For serious backcountry fire-building, a small saw is better and safer than an axe or hatchet.

Neither of these is necessary for a long distance hike, though I would argue in favor of carrying the snow stake for digging cat holes.

mudhead
11-25-2008, 14:42
caffeine, nicotine, sugar, and fat?

Breakfast of Champions.

bigcranky
11-25-2008, 22:01
sausage, pepperoni, onions, and extra cheese

Rain Man
11-26-2008, 00:17
If you feel like you need something to dig a cat hole (for your poop), use a snow stake -- it's lighter, stronger, and can be used as a tent stake if needed.

That's exactly what I've started doing recently. Good idea. I like multi-use equipment.

As far as "survival skills," I've not found the AT to require any. Having said that, I do preach "map and compass" and knowing how to use them. I carry the smallest knife possible.

Rain:sunMan

jrnj5k
12-02-2008, 16:37
big 4 = tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, backpack

Deadeye
12-02-2008, 20:00
If you plan to kill people with your axe, a shovel is a good idea for burying the bodies. You'll probably pick up a nifty trail name, too.

4eyedbuzzard
12-02-2008, 20:13
sausage, pepperoni, onions, and extra cheese

That's (a) special. Well, almost.

Blissful
12-02-2008, 20:38
Some people on here (Lone Wolf) will do several thru-hikes with little more than the big-four and some food.

Now this could be fun...what would be LW's "big four" for a hike...

10-K
12-03-2008, 12:37
Here's what I carry....

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Shortcut-22-01466.htm

2.4 oz's of love....

buckwheat
12-03-2008, 12:47
shovel...a stick...if your a knife guy, bring a knife that fits in the pocket...i'm not a knife guy, but they can be handy for cuttin' cheese...

I also heartily recommend Zataran's Red Beans and Rice should you need to be cuttin' cheese.

Gray Blazer
12-03-2008, 13:23
A nice ax is what you'll most likely find on the AT because some boyscout left it at the last camping spot because they got tired of toting it 10 or more miles a day. I've seen a few nice axes just lying around on the AT.

jesse
12-03-2008, 13:30
Now this could be fun...what would be LW's "big four" for a hike...

Hiking poles
Water filter
Bear bag rope
Soap

bigmac_in
12-03-2008, 13:30
big 4 = tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, backpack

Big 4 = Beer, boxers, TV, & couch.

Lilred
12-03-2008, 16:04
big four?

sex, drugs, rock and roll, ....... hmmm three seems to be all you need....