Shuckstack
Rich Mountain
Catfish
Culver
Glastenbury
Stratton
Smarts Mountain

Did I miss any???

Did any of you "old timers" climb a fire tower on the AT that has since met its demise??:)

Hooch
11-25-2008, 09:18
Wesser Bald Firetower. Ya fergot that 'un.

Lone Wolf
11-25-2008, 09:18
used to be one on white rocks mtn. near dennis cove in tenn.

Lone Wolf
11-25-2008, 09:19
old speck in maine

Cabin Fever
11-25-2008, 09:25
Use to be one on McQueen's Knob in Tennessee just south of Virginia state line

Jeff
11-25-2008, 09:25
Hooch, You are right!!! I recall lots of hikers sleeping up there.

When did they remove the cab on Wesser?

woodsy
11-25-2008, 09:26
Walk right by one on the AT, Bigelow Mtn, Maine. I visited this one when it was still manned back in the late 60s, early 70s. Its still there.

Lone Wolf
11-25-2008, 09:26
cab?

mudhead
11-25-2008, 09:37
Top structure.

http://www.firelookout.org/towers/me/me.htm

List of Maine sites. I have never met a Fire Warden's Trail that did not make me smile.

They must have been a fit bunch.

Hooch
11-25-2008, 09:38
Hooch, You are right!!! I recall lots of hikers sleeping up there.

When did they remove the cab on Wesser?I didn't know it was accessible by taxi. Hell, I hiked up to it. :banana

Yukon
11-25-2008, 09:39
Killington?

KG4FAM
11-25-2008, 09:41
Mt Cammerer
Barren Mtn (frame only)

MOWGLI
11-25-2008, 09:41
Albert Mtn and Shuckstack may be on the chopping block.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profiles/blogs/future-of-shuckstack-lookout

KG4FAM
11-25-2008, 09:42
Wayah Bald

earlyriser26
11-25-2008, 10:38
Moxie Bald in Maine. No longer there, but I spent a windy night there years ago. I bet it you counted all the spots on the AT that once had firetowers it would number close to 100. Just a hanfull today and that is very sad. The best night I have ever spent on the trail was 3 years ago on the Wesser Firetower platform. Talk about a billion stars!!!!

ki0eh
11-25-2008, 10:58
Previous thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31033&highlight=stony+mtn+fire+tower However, since that time the Stony Mountain fire tower in PA has reportedly been closed off more effectively. 'Tis a shame the land managers and vandals seem to be conspiring together to remove the history and inspiration afforded by climbing a fire tower.

However here is one that is preserved, one block off the A.T.: http://sledworks.com/tower/index.html

Mocs123
11-25-2008, 12:10
Why is Albert Mtn on the Chopping Block? It seems to be in good repair unlike some of the other towers.

The Mt. Sterling Fire Tower in GSMNP isnt on the AT but isn't too far off the trail if you are wanting to hit fire towers.

KG4FAM
11-25-2008, 12:19
Moxie Bald in Maine. No longer there, but I spent a windy night there years ago. I bet it you counted all the spots on the AT that once had firetowers it would number close to 100. Just a hanfull today and that is very sad. The best night I have ever spent on the trail was 3 years ago on the Wesser Firetower platform. Talk about a billion stars!!!!Isn't there some old footings on Saddleback as well?

Hikerhead
11-25-2008, 13:53
The foundation for one is about 100 yards north of Little Ottie Powels marker on Punchbowl Mtn. The foundation for one is left at Fullhardt Shelter along with the old water tank in the ground that is still used (or was). There was one at the Chestnut Knob shelter, the shelter was the Firewatchers cabin. I imagine many years ago a hiker would come across a firetower about every day.

MOWGLI
11-25-2008, 14:04
Why is Albert Mtn on the Chopping Block? It seems to be in good repair unlike some of the other towers.

I have it on good authority that the Ranger District has proposed removing it. I can't find anything online about it however.

Gray Blazer
11-25-2008, 14:28
Mt. Sterling (near the AT) and Camp Creek Bald.

Strategic
11-25-2008, 14:43
There's one on top of Big Flat Mountain in Michaux State Forest in PA. It's not far off the AT (about .25 miles) along Ridge Rd. just north of Arendtsville-Shippensburg Rd., which crosses the AT 1.4 miles north of Birch Run shelters. It's an odd one, as it's wedged in with a microwave tower and an FAA radar tower. I don't know if it's accessible or not as I didn't hike over to it when I was last there (and that's been a while.)

A bit further south, there's the Snowy Mountain Fire Tower about halfway between Tumbling Run and Rocky Mountain shelters. The AT passes around the shoulder of the mountain with the tower just above. They still post weather reports from the tower, so my guess is it's still active, but whether manned or unmanned I don't know.

For defunct towers, there's also the old tower base in the superfund zone about 2 miles north of Lehigh Gap, which the AT goes right over.

That's all I can think of for now. I think there's also one on Lamb's Knob down in Maryland, but I haven't been there so someone with better local knowledge will have to confirm or deny that one.

Serial 07
11-25-2008, 15:17
meadow creek fire tower...i know there's one outside of hot springs and a google search came up with this name...

KG4FAM
11-25-2008, 15:24
meadow creek fire tower...i know there's one outside of hot springs and a google search came up with this name...
I think you are talking about Rich Mountain.

Did they ever use Washington Monument as a fire tower?

troglobil
11-25-2008, 16:05
Many times fire towers are shut down because it is more efficient to conduct fire patrols from airplanes. They are able cover a greater area and then investigate and if necessary, help lead crews to the fire.

rlharris
11-25-2008, 17:27
The title to the thread included the word "near" "Near" being a state of mind, the tower on Mount Carrigain might be added to your list.

The Old Fhart
11-25-2008, 17:32
rlharris...."the tower on Mount Carrigain might be added to your list."The tower that used to stand on Mt. Hale (near Zealand Falls hut) might be added too.

celt
11-25-2008, 18:22
Mt Garfield in NH used to have a fire lookout. It didn't have a tower, just a cab on a foundation. Everyone whose been there has seen the old foundation but has anyone seen the warden's old outhouse?

rafe
11-25-2008, 19:12
One of the hills on the approach trail (AFSP to Springer) had fire tower footings. I also recall such footings -- and a set of concrete steps leading nowhere -- on the ridge just south of Delaware Water Gap. Oh yeah, there's a set of footings on Mt. Carter (or is it North Carter) also.

celt
11-25-2008, 19:42
One of the hills on the approach trail (AFSP to Springer) had fire tower footings. I also recall such footings -- and a set of concrete steps leading nowhere -- on the ridge just south of Delaware Water Gap. Oh yeah, there's a set of footings on Mt. Carter (or is it North Carter) also.

I remember the footings on the approach trail. I think it was Frost Mt.

Carter Dome has tower footings.

Tennessee Viking
11-25-2008, 20:04
What about Roan High (removed) and Rich Mountain. Temple Hill (removed) & views of Pinnacle Mtn Tower.

Check out: http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/towers/ for all the Tennessee towers

FatMan
11-25-2008, 20:24
Black Mountain Fire Tower with access road at Woody Gap.

Whistler
11-25-2008, 20:57
Catfish fire tower in New Jersey, IIRC.

-Mark