PDA

View Full Version : About the AT

RITBlake
04-03-2004, 21:42
#1What is the middle point of the AT (I realize the exact location changes year to year, but what is the 'understood middle

#2 How far is Harpers Ferry to Springer? I am going to leap frog the AT next spring and just looking for a little more info

#3 What books would you guys consider 'required reading' for anyone doing the AT.

hungryhowie
04-03-2004, 23:42
1. Harpers Ferry is commonly thought of as a psychological middle point, but it is actually closer to Pine Grove State Park in Penn. There is a small convenience store there that sells (overpriced) half-gallons of ice-cream. The tradition is that you hike half of the trail, so you eat a half-gallon of ice cream. (as a fore-warn and tip, pick something simple...moosetracks (or other complicated flavor) is NOT your friend...) The actual half point lies somewhere in them thar woods beyond the convenience store. There is actually a marker, though it is somewhat "off" as well.

2. Harper's Ferry to Springer is ~1000 miles. In 2000, it was reported to be 1000.1 miles. It changes yearly as well, but not by much.

3. Well, the first thing I'd do is get a copy of either the Thru-Hiker's Handbook by Dan Bruce, or the AT Databook and Companion (The Handbook combines the most important info from the other two into one guide). It/They would answer mileage questions like this for you (not that I mind doing it, just saying that it would be quicker for you to look it up if you had the book).

If you are unfamiliar with the trail, or long distance hiking, I'd also recommend picking up a copy of Karen Berger's Hiking the Triple Crown. It is a recent publication that gives practical info about long distance hiking in general and how it applies and differs from trail to trail (the triple crown consists of the AT, Pacific Crest Trail, and the Continental Divide Trail). It is divided into four sections. Section one is about long distance hiking, gear, etc. Section two is the AT. Sections 3 and 4 deal with the other trails. So half of the book relates to exactly what you want to do, and the other half serves as a primer fo your own education about the other trails.

-Howie

RITBlake
04-04-2004, 00:38
Great advice Howie, I appreciate you taking time out to help a 'noob' like myself

hungryhowie
04-04-2004, 08:28
No problem. I am a firm believer of remembering where I came from, and at this time 6 years ago, I'd never heard of Pine Grove Furnace State park or the Thru-hiker's Handbook, much less Harpers Ferry...so you're at least one step ahead of where I was then.

-Howie

Youngblood
04-04-2004, 08:47
There is another publication that Howie didn't mention that I think you will find helpful. It is getting a little dated but it is still relevent AND it was written specifically for people that are thinking about hiking the AT. It was written by Chritopher Whalen and is titled "Appalachain Trail Workbook for Planning Thru-hikes". The cost is about $6; REI stores in the Atlanta area stock them and they should be available thru the ATC ( http://tinyurl.com/2gyl9 ).

Like I said it is a little dated, Chris did his thru-hike in 1988 but the book is still relevent and will help guide you through the process of planning a thru-hike.

Youngblood

Jaybird
04-04-2004, 09:30
#1What is the middle point of the AT (I realize the exact location changes year to year, but what is the 'understood middle
#2 How far is Harpers Ferry to Springer? I am going to leap frog the AT next spring and just looking for a little more info
#3 What books would you guys consider 'required reading' for anyone doing the AT.

RITBlake

Harpers Ferry IS always a 1/2way mile stone on the A.T. although NOT the real half-way point...there is a sign that states IT is the half way point...(& now with the ATC volunteers GPS-ing the trail..it is no longer the "real" half-way point) so, it will probably be moved in the next few years.
the ATC website has much stats...distances from points, etc...you can ck out
www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org)

as for books to read: the above site has many books that will help a hiker....

some of my favorites: Earl Shaffer "Walking with Spring"
Ed Garvey "the New Appalachain Trail"
& if you want a chuckle: J.R.Tate "Walkin on the Happy Side of Misery"

www.ModelT.net (http://www.ModelT.net)