PDA

View Full Version : Best pad system under 2 pounds?

cr113
11-25-2008, 12:58
I got a thermarest ridgerest but it is doesn't have enough padding. I'm trying to decide the best option. My choices so far:

-Stacking a short prolite 4 on the ridgerest.
-Stacking a short big agnes inflatable on the ridgerest.
-Getting a full length insulated inflatable.

At first I liked the 24 ounce big agnes insulated inflatable but I've heard complaints that it is not very warm. I'd like to be able to get down to the mid 20s.

rafe
11-25-2008, 13:15
I did a lot of searching along these lines. The Thermarest pro-lite is hard to beat. There are lighter pads, but they cover significantly less area than a pro-lite short. The pro-lite 3 short is 13 oz.

Secret Squirrel
11-25-2008, 13:17
I have the Thermarest Pro-Lite 4. It is pretty comfortable. The listed weight is 24 ounces. I haven't had any luck with the self-inflating feature, though.

I also had a Thermarest Z lite, but I sent it back. I thought it was too bulky to carry and not very comfortable. It has a listed weight of only 15 ounces.

Panzer1
11-25-2008, 13:55
I have the Thermarest Pro-Lite 4. It is pretty comfortable. The listed weight is 24 ounces.

My old rectangular Guide-Rest thermorest is 29 ounces. They keep making them lighter these days. I wonder it they are any warmer, or just lighter.

Panzer

skinewmexico
11-25-2008, 15:28
I'd get whatever the replacement is for the Pacific Outdoor Equipment Max-thermo. I think it is the Ether Thermo 6 at 21 oz. Mine was fine down into the 20s. If I needed more, I'd probably add an 1/8" Gossamer Gear thinlight pad (2 oz.) under it.

Joe8484
11-25-2008, 15:49
How about a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core with a 1/8 in Gossamer Gear pad? I would think that could take you down to 0-10*

skinewmexico
11-25-2008, 16:17
You might check out the Thermarest Neo-Air. Outrageously expensive when they come out, with an interesting way of insulation. It's kind of a lighter knock off of the BA and POE air mattresses. Guess they were losing too much market share.

cr113
11-25-2008, 16:26
How about a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core with a 1/8 in Gossamer Gear pad? I would think that could take you down to 0-10*

That's where I'm headed. I'm going to try the big agnes by itself first.

The gossamer gear pad is a great tip though! I didn't know it existed.

Christopher Robin
11-25-2008, 16:33
I'd get whatever the replacement is for the Pacific Outdoor Equipment Max-thermo. I think it is the Ether Thermo 6 at 21 oz. Mine was fine down into the 20s. If I needed more, I'd probably add an 1/8" Gossamer Gear thinlight pad (2 oz.) under it.
Yes I've got the womens @ like it very much. I was thinking a long the same line about if the wather is colder in March would I need to add a thin layer of close cell pad or would a Tek. groung sheet be all right.

lonehiker
11-25-2008, 16:41
I got a thermarest ridgerest but it is doesn't have enough padding. I'm trying to decide the best option. My choices so far:

-Stacking a short prolite 4 on the ridgerest.
-Stacking a short big agnes inflatable on the ridgerest.
-Getting a full length insulated inflatable.

At first I liked the 24 ounce big agnes insulated inflatable but I've heard complaints that it is not very warm. I'd like to be able to get down to the mid 20s.

Why not try the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core? I have one but have only used it in temps of the low 30s. Worked ok in that temperature range.

Joe8484
11-25-2008, 17:15

Just sold my BA air core...great pad for tenting but I just switched to a hammock. You might also want to look at the Oware pads.

I think its worth noting that the gossamer pads are very sticky. I plan to glue a piece of sil-nylon to it to solve the problem.

skinewmexico
11-25-2008, 22:13

You're just hanging out with the wrong crowd........

trekkngirl
11-25-2008, 22:26
I used a Therm-a-Rest Z-Lite Regular length(15 oz) and a Therma Rest Prolite4 short length(17 oz) this past Friday night when temps dropped to 15 degrees at Justus Creek on the AT in Georgia..and I was toasty.I never new there was a cold ground beneath me. :)

Tinker
11-25-2008, 23:01
Try one of these:
http://www.bigagnes.com/str_pads.php?bid=8

with a closed cell foam pad of any type on top. I've used the black nylon uninsulated one that way when using a tent in temps down to 5 degrees and been warm with a 3/8" closed cell foam pad (Wal-Mart) on top cut to size of the BA.

Egads
11-25-2008, 23:09
I believe the Therm-a-rest Prolite 4 is comfy, even the small size; but I use a POE Hyper High Mtn in winter. It is the warmest pad I have.

http://www.pacoutdoor.com/2008/index.cfm?action=insulmat_season&familyID=1&season=4

buz
11-30-2008, 18:42
For me, my insulated BA is good to 30 min. Any cooler and I can feel the heat getting sucked out of me. So I would second the gg pad or any other thin light pad on top to start out, then send home when weather changes. Love the BA, but for me, is temp sensitive going low.