PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Deep Gap, NC --> Nantahala Outdoor Center hike?

WishIWereHiking
11-25-2008, 18:42
Hi everyone. My friend and I are planning a hike on the AT for mid December. The plan right now is to do Deep Gap to the NOC. Does anyone have any advice on what to expect for this section for a 5-day trip? I have never done this part of the AT.

We're thinking that we'll get there on a Saturday and do maybe 8 miles the first day and average 12-13 miles a day for the remainder of the trip. She and I are both in good trail shape and have plenty of winter gear.

Thanks for any input! :)

Skidsteer
11-25-2008, 18:59
Sounds very reasonable for that stretch.

Dress warm and have fun.

bigcranky
11-25-2008, 22:00
Nice section. Great views this time of year. Some little things come to mind: If you want to stay at Carter Gap Shelter the first night, when you get there the new shelter is about 100 yards past the ancient, decrepit old shelter. The climb up Albert Mtn would be somewhat difficult with ice or snow. You'll get two towers with great views. The patio outside the Wayah Bald tower is a nice spot for a meal if the weather cooperates.

It'll be cold, but you knew that. Have fun, I'm jealous.

Bare Bear
11-25-2008, 22:04
If winter ice I would suggest you do the walk around Albert. Be
real careful and remember there will not be many folks out to help if you muck it up. Good section and the winter views are the best of the year.

Big Sky
11-25-2008, 22:25
Thanks so much for the replies so far! I am so excited about this trip I can't even express it.

Lone Wolf
11-25-2008, 23:12
Thanks so much for the replies so far! I am so excited about this trip I can't even express it.

then read no more from the experts. just do it. learn and have fun as you go :)

Serial 07
11-26-2008, 00:55
then read no more from the experts. just do it. learn and have fun as you go :)

agreed...all you need to know, if you don't know now, you'll learn quick enough...best thing you can take with you is a positive attitude!

jeremiah j
11-26-2008, 02:16
Hey can you still drive a car up to deep gap in NC? thanks

daddytwosticks
11-26-2008, 08:37
Access road to Deep Gap NC may be gated half-way up this time of year...don't underestimate the cold and WIND this time of year. Have a great hike.

Big Sky
11-26-2008, 08:58
Oh by the way I realize I accidentally posted on my old username when I started this thread. This is my new one! (Finally someone gave me a trail name!)

jeremiah j has a really good question...I'm not sure if the road to Deep Gap would be blocked off or not. Like daddytwosticks said, it might be halfway. I am planning on using a shuttle to take us from our cars to Deep Gap so maybe the service will know...
I will come back and repost if I learn anything difinitive when I call.

I'm very aware of how cold it will be. I love winter hiking. Maybe we'll get some snow. The last hike I did was in the Big Frog wilderness area in TN and we got hail, sleet, rain and snow all in the same weekend, which I admit wasn't really all that fun. Good thing we got some amazing views to make up for it! Best thing about that trip was that it showed me that I need to invest in a new waterproof jacket. I am afraid mine is on its last leg after many years of faithful use.

One more question: how hard is Standing Indian Mt? The guide book says "moderate" but it looks pretty rough. That's the first thing we have to climb on our trip (full pack of 5 days food and everything) so I hope it's not the worst of it!

papa john
11-26-2008, 09:02
CHeck with Ron Haven in Franklin, he shuttles that area quite a bit and I'll bet he knows if the road is closed. If the road is closed, hike the Kimsey Creek Trail to Deep Gap as an alternative route.

Standing Indian isn't hard at all. For the first part, it is an old jeep road and then switchbacks the rest of the way up. Great views from up there as well.

Johnny Thunder
11-26-2008, 13:52
Nice section. Great views this time of year. Some little things come to mind: If you want to stay at Carter Gap Shelter the first night, when you get there the new shelter is about 100 yards past the ancient, decrepit old shelter. The climb up Albert Mtn would be somewhat difficult with ice or snow. You'll get two towers with great views. The patio outside the Wayah Bald tower is a nice spot for a meal if the weather cooperates.

It'll be cold, but you knew that. Have fun, I'm jealous.

Yeah, I heard that every time you masturbate the old Carter Gap shelter eats a hiker...think of the hikers.

Just Plain Jim
11-26-2008, 14:39
My buddy and I hiked from Dicks Creek Gap to Fontana Dam in 7 days in 2007. We were both 68 and had no problems hiking.On the 5th day we hung out at the NOC for several hours before heading on.

10-K
11-26-2008, 14:50
One more question: how hard is Standing Indian Mt? The guide book says "moderate" but it looks pretty rough. That's the first thing we have to climb on our trip (full pack of 5 days food and everything) so I hope it's not the worst of it!

It's not bad. There's a nice shelter just off the trail with a couple of good water sources close by. Nice place to rest up or overnight.

Sly
11-26-2008, 16:39
Hi everyone. My friend and I are planning a hike on the AT for mid December. The plan right now is to do Deep Gap to the NOC. Does anyone have any advice on what to expect for this section for a 5-day trip? I have never done this part of the AT.

We're thinking that we'll get there on a Saturday and do maybe 8 miles the first day and average 12-13 miles a day for the remainder of the trip. She and I are both in good trail shape and have plenty of winter gear.

Thanks for any input! :)

It looks like you have your heart set on hiking in mid December, but if you can, an option would be to hike into the Southern Ruck Jan 16-18.

Check out the website in my sig.

daddytwosticks
11-26-2008, 17:19
Standing Indian climb is a pussycat...:)

gearfreak
11-26-2008, 20:45
I did this section in September up to Fontana. NOC to Fontana was the toughest part. The pace we kept to get acclimated from the FL flatlands was Carter Gap, Rock Gap, Wine Spring, Wesser Bald then NOC. That gives you less than 6 miles into NOC on day 5 - just in time for a cold beer and a Wesser Burger! Rock Gap had no water and probably still doesn't. Get your water from the stone cistern north of Wesser so you don't have to backtrack. :cool:

Bulldawg
11-26-2008, 23:19
Almost two inches of snow from the back side of Wine Spring to Wayah today. Frozen into solid ice in most spots. Four of us made the in and out without falling.........more than twice each.

Big Sky
11-27-2008, 11:06
It looks like you have your heart set on hiking in mid December, but if you can, an option would be to hike into the Southern Ruck Jan 16-18.

Check out the website in my sig.

The only time we can go is in Dec. unfortunately. She is moving across country after :(

Monkeyboy
11-29-2008, 23:20
Five days is more than enough. Just keep in mind.......it's a bear coming out of Deep Gap to Standing Indian.

And then, right behind that is Albert Mountain. I swear that trail was made by billie goats.

Summit
11-30-2008, 15:37
Deep Gap to Standing Indian is a steady but not that hard a climb. You'll love Standing Indian Summit if the weather and views are clear. Albert Mountain isn't that bad either. The 'rocks' are only a few hundred yards but do be very careful if there's ice/snow. Enjoy this trek . . . I've done it many times. Some real nice campsites too!

Big Sky
12-03-2008, 10:42
Well, I finally got around to calling some shuttles. I'm gonna ride with Ron, as I've used his shuttle service before and he is awesome. He said Deep Gap won't be a problem road wise.

Also, does anyone know if there are nice campsites at or around Wine Spring? Looks like a nice place to stop for a night.

Skidsteer
12-03-2008, 11:05
Well, I finally got around to calling some shuttles. I'm gonna ride with Ron, as I've used his shuttle service before and he is awesome. He said Deep Gap won't be a problem road wise.

Also, does anyone know if there are nice campsites at or around Wine Spring? Looks like a nice place to stop for a night.

It's a great place to stop. Good water and campsites.

Bulldawg
12-03-2008, 11:07
Five days is more than enough. Just keep in mind.......it's a bear coming out of Deep Gap to Standing Indian.

And then, right behind that is Albert Mountain. I swear that trail was made by billie goats.

Deep Gap to Standing Indian is pretty easy IMHO.

Bulldawg
12-03-2008, 11:09

Yeah lots of good spots there at Wine Spring where the Bartram intersects, with water a few hundred yards away. But I must say all the water was frozen up there close to the trail last week.

Skidsteer
12-03-2008, 11:19
It's a great place to stop. Good water and campsites.

Here's a photo:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Noc%20to%20Dicks%20creek/th_NOCtoDicksCreekJuly2008WineSprin-2.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Noc%20to%20Dicks%20creek/?action=view&current=NOCtoDicksCreekJuly2008WineSprin-2.jpg)

Gray Blazer
12-03-2008, 11:51
There's real (as opposed to imaginary, I guess) toilets on Wayah Bald. WOOHOO!! Make sure you have your own TP. Also, at the other end of the parking lot there are picnic tables, garbage cans and fire grillers. When you hit the paved trail at Wayah turn left and head up to the tower. The blazes are painted on the asphalt and may be invisible in snow. Make sure you take the very short blue blaze up Rocky Bald for the nice view. Enjoy this extremely nice section of the AT.

e-doc
12-03-2008, 16:41
When I spoke to the USFS a year or so ago, I was informed the road to Deep Gap was gated in winter but I forget the actual dates. That road is gravel and is likely very icey and impassable. You may need to hike up Kimsey Creek to Deep Gap or the Lower Ridge trail to the summit. The hump up Wine Spring could be rather nasty. There is no way to really tell about conditions, they are so variable. Have a great time